lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Macbeth wrote:

Maybe the Harvard professor should be angry at his own people for putting him in the position of being stereotyped as a criminal and for breaking into his house.
I was kinda wondering how a black man attaining the position of professor at Harvard could possibly maintain an attitude that black people are being kept down by anything more than their own attitudes and lack of ambition.

I guess his position at Harvard is not proof enough that hard work and application, just like for white people, are the ingredients to success in building an American dream. Oh well, on with the race baiting.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/downloa … 120754.pdf

I have no reason to doubt that this is how it played out. Especially since we live in a society where eveeeryyybody just loves to scream racism. this forum is a perfect example.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

Ugh lowing are you calling me a race baiter?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Macbeth wrote:

Ugh lowing are you calling me a race baiter?
nope not at all, I was talking TO you not about you.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

O right then. Sorry get all confused from time to time. Uh carry on sir.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

Macbeth wrote:

Maybe the Harvard professor should be angry at his own people for putting him in the position of being stereotyped as a criminal and for breaking into his house.
No kidding...  or at his neighbor for clearly not even knowing who he was.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6520|Montucky
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32085686/?GT1=43001

A good opinion, I thought on this whole subject, worth the read.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX

lowing wrote:

I was kinda wondering how a black man attaining the position of professor at Harvard could possibly maintain an attitude that black people are being kept down by anything more than their own attitudes and lack of ambition.
Thats a sterotypical assumption you've made based solely on a one line comment recorded by a Police Officer trying to justify an unnecessary arrest.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|5818|Fattest Country in the world.
Gates said Crowley walked into his home without his permission and only arrested him as the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.
I would have had a field day in court with this.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Thats a sterotypical assumption you've made based solely on a one line comment recorded by a Police Officer trying to justify an unnecessary arrest.
No it is an assumption based on the fact that he made it INSTANTLY a race issue rather than what it really was, a cop investigating a break in
It is not in dispute this mans over reaction, assumptions and confrontational demeanor. The arrest was justified, it was dismissed for PC reasons and because of this guys position.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No it is an assumption based on the fact that he made it INSTANTLY a race issue
According to the cop.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6584|SE London

S3v3N wrote:

Good article. I agree with many of the points.

I'm certainly not condoning Gates' (alleged) actions, but he certainly shouldn't have been arrested over this. I think the fact that he was shows the officers involved didn't do their job very well. Despite him being a pain the arse to deal with, he had proven his identity as the homeowner and wasn't commiting any crimes (arresting someone for making a bit of a scene in their own home seems very callous), so he shouldn't have been arrested.

I expect he overreacted when the officers initially approached him, which led them to get pissed of at him and look for excuses to arrest him and cause him grief.

Overall it seems like very petty behaviour from all involved. But the police are the ones doing a job here and should be expected to behave better. I take exception to the police arresting people just because they piss them off, which seems to be what has happened in this case and is certainly something I've seen happen 1st hand on a number of occasions.

Gates' may have acted like a prick, but the police acted unprofessionally and abused their power - which is far worse.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

No it is an assumption based on the fact that he made it INSTANTLY a race issue
According to the cop.
"Crowley was a campus police officer at Brandeis University in July 1993 when he administered CPR trying to save the life of former Boston Celtics player Reggie Lewis. Lewis, who was black, collapsed and died during an off-season workout."

Why would you AUTOMATICALLY believe the guy over this cop?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

I'm certainly not condoning Gates' (alleged) actions, but he certainly shouldn't have been arrested over this. I think the fact that he was shows the officers involved didn't do their job very well. Despite him being a pain the arse to deal with, he had proven his identity as the homeowner and wasn't commiting any crimes (arresting someone for making a bit of a scene in their own home seems very callous), so he shouldn't have been arrested.

I expect he overreacted when the officers initially approached him, which led them to get pissed of at him and look for excuses to arrest him and cause him grief.

Overall it seems like very petty behaviour from all involved. But the police are the ones doing a job here and should be expected to behave better. I take exception to the police arresting people just because they piss them off, which seems to be what has happened in this case and is certainly something I've seen happen 1st hand on a number of occasions.

Gates' may have acted like a prick, but the police acted unprofessionally and abused their power - which is far worse.
Show me ONE shred of testimony that shows this cop acting unprofessionally and abused his power.

Yes the charges were dropped, for obvious PC reasons, but also no charges or punishment was levied on the cop either.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Charges dropped = well it's just PC.

The way your mind works lowing is amazing.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Zombie_Affair wrote:

Gates said Crowley walked into his home without his permission and only arrested him as the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.
I would have had a field day in court with this.
really? amd who exactly, are you?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

Oh please, don't tell me for a second if you or me treated a cop like this that the city would drop the charges.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

lowing wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Oh please, don't tell me for a second if you or me treated a cop like this that the city would drop the charges.
If I were arrested, on my porch, because an officer was investigating a break and enter, where I was the accused "breaking into" my own house, the officer doesn't give badge ID or name but arrests me for disorderly conduct, of course the charge would be dropped.

Unless you actually believe that Gates should spend some time in jail or face a fine, why must this be some pc?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

If I were arrested, on my porch, because an officer was investigating a break and enter, where I was the accused "breaking into" my own house, the officer doesn't give badge ID or name but arrests me for disorderly conduct, of course the charge would be dropped.

Unless you actually believe that Gates should spend some time in jail or face a fine, why must this be some pc?
Gee no surprise how you failed to mention the fact that the guy refused to initially produce ID, and only after being threatened with arrest did he do so. You are also failing to mention the verbal abuse this guy gave the police, while contrary to popular liberal belief, does not have to take it.
And still you fail to mention that this guy INSTANTLY went for the race card.

and yes to knock that egotistical asshole down a notch and remind him he is not above the law regardless as to his position, he should have spent the night in jail, if not outright charged.

Last edited by lowing (2009-07-23 07:19:01)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6584|SE London

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

Show me ONE shred of testimony that shows this cop acting unprofessionally and abused his power.

Yes the charges were dropped, for obvious PC reasons, but also no charges or punishment was levied on the cop either.
The cop arrested him when he shouldn't have. That's abusing his power and acting unprofessionally.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

lowing wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

Gee no surprise how you failed to mention the fact that the guy refused to initially produce ID, and only after being threatened with arrest did he do so. You are also failing to mention the verbal abuse this guy gave the police, while contrary to popular liberal belief, does not have to take it.

and yes to knock that egotistical asshole down a notch and remind him he is not above the law regardless as to his position, he should have spent the night in jail, if not outright charged.
No need for pointless name calling, lowing. Just cause you don't like a guy cause he's black.

The law is not designed to knock people down a notch and prove nobody is above the law, the whole point of the justice system is to punish those who commit crimes, not to target upstanding members of the community to prove that they can be brought down.

Revenge and jealous shouldn't be the basis for any system of law. You should be able to understand that simple point I hope.

Being an egotistical asshole isn't a crime, yet he should spend a night in prison for it? You probably know a few yourself, should they be brought into a cell to think about what they've done too?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6584|SE London

lowing wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

Gee no surprise how you failed to mention the fact that the guy refused to initially produce ID, and only after being threatened with arrest did he do so.
That's inconclusive. There are contradictory versions of events, believing either of them outright is unwise.

lowing wrote:

You are also failing to mention the verbal abuse this guy gave the police, while contrary to popular liberal belief, does not have to take it.

Disrespecting a police officer is not a crime. If it were, then there would be a case against him. As is, there is not. Which is why the case was dropped. He was arrested without commiting a crime or being a suspect in a crime, which is a violation of his rights and is unprofessional behaviour by the officer involved.

He may be an asshole (it certainly sounds that way). But you can't arrest someone for that.
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|5818|Fattest Country in the world.

lowing wrote:

Gee no surprise how you failed to mention the fact that the guy refused to initially produce ID, and only after being threatened with arrest did he do so.
The police officer refused to display a Badge an ID, this is a federal offence, at least in our country.

lowing wrote:

Well played. I hope to god you are not a Law Enforcement Officer of any kind. Majority of police officers seem to think they are above the law too, not simply enforcing it.

lowing wrote:

really? amd who exactly, are you?
Obviously no one you need to worry about Mr Condesending.

Last edited by Zombie_Affair (2009-07-23 07:57:31)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why would you AUTOMATICALLY believe the guy over this cop?
Because he didn't do anything wrong, while the cop carried out an unlawful arrest.

Why do you automatically believe the cop?
Having had extensive dealings with numerous Police officers I assume they are lying until proven otherwise.
The Police have to prove a case, their word isn't the law or gospel truth.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

Lol I read in the newspaper yesterday that the professer is now working on a PBS documentry about racial profiling (sic). This guy is going to milk this motherfucker.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard