liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6619|UK
When I turn my PC on, this screen appears:

https://i26.tinypic.com/15i58hh.jpg

However, it looks more like this:

https://i28.tinypic.com/2hxycmw.jpg

It stays like that for about 60 seconds, then corrects itself to a normal brightness and starts to load.

Everything happens normally and quickly from that point onwards.

Any ideas?

liquidat0r's Xfire Profile wrote:

Processor:     AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940
Memory:     4094MB RAM
Hard Drive:     1.5 TB
Video Card:     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Monitor:     Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW
Operating System:     Windows Vista™ Ultimate 64bit
Motherboard:     Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Computer Case:     Antec Sonata Elite
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Do your fans make the usual sounds when starting up?

Last edited by AussieReaper (2009-07-12 07:43:29)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6619|UK
Well they kind of rev between different speeds for about a second or two and then go to a normal loudness/speed. I assumed that was "normal", though.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Do you know if your PSU has enough wattage, is new, has a decent manufacturer, etc?

You left it out of your specs.

It "could" be having trouble powering everything, hence a dim monitor and slow load, but if everything then runs fine I'd suggest a reinstall of Vista just to clean all the junk an OS can accumulate.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6619|UK
I installed the OS less than a month ago, it's a brand new PC.

My PSU: Corsair 650W TX Series

It doesn't appear to be working that hard.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

How's your system disk looking?

That'd be the 1st thing I'd check.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6619|UK

Bertster7 wrote:

What do you mean? How do I check?
Ioan92
+337|5714
You still see that screen? You're lucky.

My monitor turns on after the frigging OS boots up. Its basically dead... 4 year old

On topic, Either your HDD is very fragmented or you corrupted some stupid file by accident. I'd recommend reformatting and seeing then what will happen. If not, I'd start looking at the hard drive.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6619|UK

Ioan92 wrote:

I'd start looking at the hard drive.
Yes, but what am I looking for/at?

Trying to avoid reformatting, seeing as I've only just formatted the drive.

Sidenote: lol, why did they remove the progress bar/percentage from the defrag screen?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

liquidat0r wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

What do you mean? How do I check?
Make sure it's not too fragmented or full. Check for bad sectors. You know, the sort of routine checks you should do on any hard drive. Maybe even run some speed checks and see if there are any anomalous results. There are tools in Windows that'll do most of this stuff for you.
Ioan92
+337|5714

liquidat0r wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

I'd start looking at the hard drive.
Yes, but what am I looking for/at?

Trying to avoid reformatting, seeing as I've only just formatted the drive.
By that I meant that if you reformat and you still have the same problems, I'd start looking for a replacement.

Does present any of those symptoms?

1. Computer freezes often. When it happens, the mouse cursor is unmovable and keyboard input is ignored. Nothing works and a restart is required to recover the computer.

2. Files Mysterious disappearing.

3. Frequent lock-up during booting. I say “frequent” because all computers will freeze every now and then and it doesn’t necessarily mean the drive is failing. You’re looking for a pattern here.

4. File access mysteriously slows to a turtle’s pace. Saving files or open files simply takes forever.
EDIT: Sidenote answer: To reduce resource usage.

Last edited by Ioan92 (2009-07-12 09:42:58)

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6619|UK

Ioan92 wrote:

1. Computer freezes often. When it happens, the mouse cursor is unmovable and keyboard input is ignored. Nothing works and a restart is required to recover the computer.

3. Frequent lock-up during booting. I say “frequent” because all computers will freeze every now and then and it doesn’t necessarily mean the drive is failing. You’re looking for a pattern here.

4. File access mysteriously slows to a turtle’s pace. Saving files or open files simply takes forever.
None of the above. Oh, sorry - I misread. Yes I guess #3 is occurring.

I can't remember the last time this computer froze, in fact I don't think it has frozen/crashed yet.

Ioan92 wrote:

Cool. Though I can't imagine displaying a percentage takes up that many resources ...

Ioan92 wrote:

I'd start looking for a replacement.
I think I'll try and fix the problem, first - before looking for a new one.
Ioan92
+337|5714

liquidat0r wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

None of the above.

I can't remember the last time this computer froze, in fact I don't think it has frozen/crashed yet.

Ioan92 wrote:

Cool. Though I can't imagine displaying a percentage takes up that many resources ...

Ioan92 wrote:

I'd start looking for a replacement.
I think I'll try and fix the problem, first - before looking for a new one.
Wait, didn't you mention it locks up during loading? that's point 3.

Well that's what I meant, if you come to the point you need to reformat, and it still fucks up, then you should look for a replacement
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6619|UK
Yeah, my bad:

liquidat0r wrote:

Oh, sorry - I misread. Yes I guess #3 is occurring.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6445|The Twilight Zone
When was the last time you reinstalled Windows? Defragmenting regularly? Tried bootvis?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6131|New Jersey
sfc /scannow

will scan for missing/corrupt files and should automatically repair/replace any problems.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6619|UK

.Sup wrote:

When was the last time you reinstalled Windows? Defragmenting regularly? Tried bootvis?
Read up, it's a new PC - installed windows about 3 weeks ago.

Has been defragging for a couple of hours now.

Will do the disk checks/etc after that.

BootVis says it's for XP.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5897|CA
Start > Run/Search bar > msconfig > Find the "Boot" tab > tick box "OS Boot Information"

Basically, this removes the standard loading bar and replaces it with the information about your version of windows and your computer...I don't know what this would do, or if it will linger at a different point, but it might be worth something.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
do you have any usb devices plugged in...
do you have a G15 logitech keyboard
any recent software installs or driver updates?
itunes?
antivirus running?

Have you tried removing sticks of ram... try 2gb or 1 stick...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-07-12 17:27:06)

Love is the answer
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

jamiet757 wrote:

The PSU doesn't power the monitor, so that wouldn't have much to do with it, it is probably just loading, and before it loads the whole way it hits a snag that makes it stall for a minute or so.
The PSU powers the GFX card...
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

AussieReaper wrote:

jamiet757 wrote:

The PSU doesn't power the monitor, so that wouldn't have much to do with it, it is probably just loading, and before it loads the whole way it hits a snag that makes it stall for a minute or so.
The PSU powers the GFX card...
So?

This isn't going to be power related.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6461

The dim start-up thing is because of your monitor. Samsungs dim when there's lots of black on the screen if the dynamic contrast mode is on.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5476|Bolingbrook, Illinois
I'm pretty sure the loading screen changes depending on what part of the boot process it's at.  I'd think that the reason the screen dims is because Windows stalls somewhere early during the boot process which prevents the screen from fully loading up.  I doubt it's a hardware problem, unless your Hard Disk is corrupting random files.  Try doing a disk check.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6683|Devon, England
I too have this problem.

It's annoying.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6445|The Twilight Zone
reduce your ram and try again
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard