TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6441|Brisbane, Australia

War Man wrote:

I find it funny that the Sith Empire have British accents while the Republic has American accents.
This really stuck out to me as well, I don't really know what to think of it. It is the typical "english accent evil, american accent good" crap but it still kind of works just because Star Wars is so black and white that a distinction like that doesn't feel completely out of place. Plus I will be playing Imperial and like British accents more than American ones lol.

I don't think (or really care) that this game will be best evar and will be super popular for 5 years but I am still looking forward to playing through a couple of classes story lines. Probably Inquisitor and Imperial Agent.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6715|Purplicious Wisconsin
I've only played Jedi Knight and Sith Inquisitor, so much fun shooting lightning at people as inquisitor and leaping 30 feet to your target as a Jedi Knight, yes I know Sith Warrior has same leap ability as Jedi Knight plus has force grip if you are... which subclass gives you force grip for sithwarrior, I forgot.

Last edited by War Man (2011-11-25 21:55:45)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
It's stupid to designate accents. Obi-wan is British. Luke is American. C3PO is British. Darth Vader is American. Jabba is American. You get the idea.

The Star Wars universe refers to the English language as 'Basic.' The wide dispersal of linguistic beings would probably create massive variations in accents and languages. Basic is the language of humans in Star Wars. But it's also the language of many other races, like on Earth, it's a lingua franca. That and Bocce.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2011-11-25 22:00:41)

Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6345

Superior Mind wrote:

It's stupid to designate accents. Obi-wan is British. Luke is American. C3PO is British. Darth Vader is American. Jabba is American. You get the idea.

The Star Wars universe refers to the English language as 'Basic.' The wide dispersal of linguistic beings would probably create massive variations in accents and languages. Basic is the language of humans in Star Wars. But it's also the language of many other races, like on Earth, it's a lingua franca. That and Bocce.
Thats a few thousand years after TOR though.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
Don't defend their shitty work.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2011-11-25 22:08:42)

Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6345
I´m not defending anything. I´m merely stating facts.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
Still, attributing accents-- formed on Earth in this reality-- to beings from a completely different galaxy, is just simple-mindedness.
War Man
By God, this beta has the shittiest password system setup. Trying to log into my account and it says ""LOGIN FAILED - We have modified our password policy. You may be affected. Click here for more information."

It is an old place too, devs are fucking morons.

Last edited by War Man (2011-11-26 02:33:02)

TimmmmaaaaH

They did the password thing relatively recently, along with the secret questions. Gearing up for release when account security will actually matter.
War Man

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

They did the password thing relatively recently, along with the secret questions. Gearing up for release when account security will actually matter.
Doesn't stop it from being annoying, because of it I didn't get to play last week.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
for some reason i always imagine that mmo's with ranged-shooting combat will suck. so far i have never been faulted in this assumption.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
War Man

Uzique wrote:

for some reason i always imagine that mmo's with ranged-shooting combat will suck. so far i have never been faulted in this assumption.
Did you play the beta?
War Man
Well new beta has just begun and for some odd reason it brings me to the character creation even though I already have characters made in the server.
TimmmmaaaaH

Uzique wrote:

I agree, for some reason WoW-style 1-2-3 is acceptable for things like magic or bows but when you bring firearms into it they just feel strange. Strange though, not "whole game sucks". Also, this game is as ranged as WoW is. There is multiple melee classes on each side, magic users and ranged dps. Actually if you just swapped magic with force, sword with lightsaber and bow with gun you wouldnt be far off.

Also I recommend you don't buy this game because you will hate it.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6476|Foothills of S. Carolina

War Man wrote:

Well new beta has just begun and for some odd reason it brings me to the character creation even though I already have characters made in the server.
I read somewhere they whipe the charecters after every beta. This being my first beta on TOR, I could be wrong.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6476|Foothills of S. Carolina

Every PVE server has a waiting line... some over 1 hour long
TimmmmaaaaH

Canin wrote:

War Man wrote:

I read somewhere they whipe the charecters after every beta. This being my first beta on TOR, I could be wrong.
That is correct, every MMO beta is the same - everything is wiped and reset.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

War Man wrote:

I find it funny that the Sith Empire have British accents while the Republic has American accents.
This really stuck out to me as well, I don't really know what to think of it. It is the typical "english accent evil, american accent good" crap but it still kind of works just because Star Wars is so black and white that a distinction like that doesn't feel completely out of place. Plus I will be playing Imperial and like British accents more than American ones lol.

I don't think (or really care) that this game will be best evar and will be super popular for 5 years but I am still looking forward to playing through a couple of classes story lines. Probably Inquisitor and Imperial Agent.
What strikes me more than that is how the good guy/bad guy accents are so persistent from this point way in the past to the original trilogy. In a cosmopolitan galaxy, you wouldn't think one or the other would last for very long unless the Sith have just been stealthily teaching English that way in their schools for millenia.

Maybe the Sith teach Britishy-English alongside poor aim and posture.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6661|The darkside of Denver
So who's playing? What toon did you roll and what server?

Sith Warrior Juggernaut- Wound in the Force.

Must say, has what WoW was missing for me... SciFi. As a star wars fan and a bioware fan I cant get enough of this game right now.
TimmmmaaaaH

Playing an Imperial Agent (Operative) on Veela. Game remains fucking awesome after a week of heavy playing. Agent is a lot of fun because you are condescending as fuck towards any Imperial officers, ensigns etc because you are pretty much space gestapo and they are scared of you.  Stabbing Jedi in the back is also a lot of fun.
SonderKommando
Just us eh?

So is the agent like ranged dps? I dont know yet what I want to roll for my alt, was thinking bounty Hunter... Or really switch it up and roll a Republic trooper.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
it has what WoW was missing-- does this mean you are putting it on a level and, dare i say it, 'bettering' it over WoW, then? cause sci-fi for me is the opposite effect: i fucking hate sci-fi themed shit. if the gameplay and mmo mechanics were genuinely as good as WoW then i'd love to play, even if i'd be gritting my teeth through the sci-fi bollocks. though i get a distinct impression from videos/reading that this game is pretty meh.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SonderKommando

Uzique wrote:

it has what WoW was missing-- does this mean you are putting it on a level and, dare i say it, 'bettering' it over WoW, then? cause sci-fi for me is the opposite effect: i fucking hate sci-fi themed shit. if the gameplay and mmo mechanics were genuinely as good as WoW then i'd love to play, even if i'd be gritting my teeth through the sci-fi bollocks. though i get a distinct impression from videos/reading that this game is pretty meh.
Nah man... You're taking me way out of context.  It's kind of ironic because what I hated about Wow was the fantasy lore.  I dont think I can weigh in on it's merits against Wow since I only played till level 43 or so before I stopped.  I can say they feel very very similar. Well, except The Old Republic has better graphics and it's fully voiced.
rdx-fx
+955|6593
Bioware seems to have taken notes from every major MMO that came before, and learned from them.

In general terms, it's much like WoW.
In details, it greatly improves on WoW in numerous little ways.

Hunter ammo?  No.
Food for self-healing? No, just sit and hit your regen button. Like eating, but without taking up storage.
Area loot.
Marking bodies with colored light, to tell what quality of loot is on it.
Any (?) class can res fallen companions out of combat.
NPC companions, for those that prefer going through the storyline instances/flashpoints without wallowing in the gutter of LFG/LFR
etc.

Like they took a look at MMO conventions, and tried to eliminate the bullshit interface busywork.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
you clearly haven't played WoW in the last 4 years to see what they've changed/rehashed about the game, but decent and informative post anyway.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard