Poll

if you are AGAINST downloading illegal music, etc, do you speed?

Yes I speed and am AGAINST downloading illegal content11%11% - 5
No, I do neither, EVER13%13% - 6
I have no issue with downloading illegal content74%74% - 32
Total: 43
Swan
The town bike
+54|5446
Simple question. If you are a person who rails AGAINST downloading music, movies and software, illegally, do you find it ok to break traffic laws like speeding when driving?
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5980|Toronto

Swan wrote:

Simple question. If you are a person who rails AGAINST downloading music, movies and software, illegally, do you find it ok to break traffic laws like speeding when driving?
Well, I'll explain my case: I speed (about 10km above, not a huge amount) and I have downloaded music.

However, due to the fact that the Canadian government charges a levy on blank media (CDs, etc) that is given to music producers (supposedly to recoup losses made by people copying their content onto more cds), downloading is de facto not illegal. It's unethical, but it's not illegal. The music industry's not accepting the levy money now, so it's really quite funny.
From a moral point of view, however, I have no qualms about it. The music industry needs to understand that its business model is outdated, and no longer works. A bit like GM. I wouldn't mind paying for good music, much as I wouldn't accept to pay more than 10 cents a song.

Now, about speeding. I'm sure we'll all agree that speed limits in NA are artificially low. I mean, 50 in a divided four-lane road in the middle of a field? Please. In Europe, speeding isn't a huge deal. Highways are at least 130, and the cops hardly care. But then again, I'm expecting that everyone in NA can drive properly, which is wishful thinking. My personal stance is that people should be allowed to speed if they can prove (i.e. pass a test) that they can handle the car properly (power braking, sliding, etc...). This would be especially helpful in the winter (I hate being stuck behind soccer moms in Siennas who can't go over 20 in 10cm of snow because they haven't put winter tires on.)

And besides, speeding alone won't get you a criminal record.
I like pie.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6690|Devon, England
What's the correlation here?
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5980|Toronto

FFLink wrote:

I think he's trying to say that all people who download are hypocrites, because he's hoping that they're against speeding.
I like pie.
Swan
The town bike
+54|5446

FFLink wrote:

Actually its against people who are righteous about how outside the law illegal downloading is. I suspect those same people do real harm by speeding on a daily basis.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5749|شمال
No, I do neither, EVER
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

Swan wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Actually its against people who are righteous about how outside the law illegal downloading is. I suspect those same people do real harm by speeding on a daily basis.
not a good example.  one is a product being stolen.  the other is a personal choice.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6738|Toronto | Canada

usmarine wrote:

Swan wrote:

FFLink wrote:

not a good example.  one is a product being stolen.  the other is a personal choice.
One takes products... but isnt actually taking anything.
The other can take lives

Still not a great comparison though
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England
One isn't putting anyone in immediate danger, the other is.

To answer the question, I do both when appropriate.

Good job on killing your own topic by deleting the original one from DST, and then to top it off, you create the new one in the Poll section. What gives?

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-07-07 08:42:44)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

speeding cannot take lives.  thats stupid.  bad drivers take lives.  55mph was the speed limit when i was a kid.  it was bumped up to 65mph which was speeding before.  there are even 70mph out there.
Swan
The town bike
+54|5446

usmarine wrote:

Swan wrote:

FFLink wrote:

No its a great comparison because BOTH are violations of the law. Hypocrites will be judgmental about downloading while they speed and put lives at risk. Regardless of your "opinion" on speeding it IS a law and if you speed, you are breaking the law. This makes you no different than someone illegally downloading music.

Last edited by Swan (2009-07-07 09:02:34)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

how are we hypocritical?  i dont see anyone saying speeding is ok.  but, i do see people saying downloading music and movies is ok.  i dont follow you on this tbh.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6834|Kubra, Damn it!

usmarine wrote:

how are we hypocritical?  i dont see anyone saying speeding is ok.  but, i do see people saying downloading music and movies is ok.  i dont follow you on this tbh.
Agreed. It's a bad example, Swan. Do you think torturing someone to death is the same as downloading music? Come on, it's a great example because they're both illegal. If you download music, you're no different than a murderer.

Fail comparisons are fail.
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

I think he saying people pick and choose whats truly legal.

The same person who says that that a downloader is a criminal and should be punished is probably the same person who speeds on a regular basis and does not consider themselves a criminal in the same light.

Agree though, the point is lost with an awkward comparison.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6520|Austin, Texas

Swan wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Swan wrote:

No its a great comparison because BOTH are violations of the law. Hypocrites will be judgmental about downloading while they speed and put lives at risk. Regardless of your "opinion" on speeding it IS a law and if you speed, you are breaking the law. This makes you no different than someone illegally downloading music.
Sorry, this is primo bullshit.

It's a shit comparison. One takes money away from those who earned it, who worked for it. The other is POTENTIALLY dangerous, but very very very rarely is. You think me speeding 10mph over on a near-empty highway is harming people? If so, you're thick. They're not even close to being related. One is completely monetary based and has no "dire" consequences and the other is a cap to protect people against idiots who will be idiots regardless of the law.

"Well it's the law". Well no shit. The law is there to protect against the small fraction of cases where it could be dangerous. Going slow is even MORE dangerous than going fast and it's legal, to a long reaching extent.

If you are AGAINST downloading illegal music, do you jaywalk? OMG I JAYWALK AND IM AGAINST DOWNLOADING ILLEGAL MUSIC, DISREGARDING CROSSWALKS MEANS IM A HYPOCRITE.

A high school education, get one.
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

One could debate the the monetary loses are in fact fabricated.
Swan
The town bike
+54|5446

Bevo wrote:

Swan wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Sorry, this is primo bullshit.

It's a shit comparison. One takes money away from those who earned it, who worked for it. The other is POTENTIALLY dangerous, but very very very rarely is. You think me speeding 10mph over on a near-empty highway is harming people? If so, you're thick. They're not even close to being related. One is completely monetary based and has no "dire" consequences and the other is a cap to protect people against idiots who will be idiots regardless of the law.

"Well it's the law". Well no shit. The law is there to protect against the small fraction of cases where it could be dangerous. Going slow is even MORE dangerous than going fast and it's legal, to a long reaching extent.

If you are AGAINST downloading illegal music, do you jaywalk? OMG I JAYWALK AND IM AGAINST DOWNLOADING ILLEGAL MUSIC, DISREGARDING CROSSWALKS MEANS IM A HYPOCRITE.

A high school education, get one.
Actually I'm very well educated, despite my trolling and prodding. I enjoy watching small minded individuals like yourself rage on the internet. Most of what you stated is your opinion on the risks of speeding. Granted I guess did not specify the excess of speed. Nonetheless enjoy your small penis
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

lol its still an odd comparison
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6692
I do both. I have a need for speed, in mph and in mbps.
Swan
The town bike
+54|5446

jsnipy wrote:

um, who are you?
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

Superior Mind wrote:

I do both. I have a need for speed, in mph and in mbps.
I live my like 1 Mb at a time /faf

Swan wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

um, who are you?
You've been on here what? Not even 2 months (at least with that account). Better put, who the fuck are you?
Bevo
Nah
+718|6520|Austin, Texas

Swan wrote:

Actually I'm very well educated, despite my trolling and prodding. I enjoy watching small minded individuals like yourself rage on the internet. Most of what you stated is your opinion on the risks of speeding. Granted I guess did not specify the excess of speed. Nonetheless enjoy your small penis
Back-up yourself up as a troll attempt, sure. Slow drivers cause people to swerve. Fast drivers don't.

I'm "small minded" because I can call bullshit on some comparison that holds no water? Back yourself into a corner champ. "It uh.. yeah I was trolling all along guise ha ha aren't you dumb".

At least I have the balls to admit when I'm wrong.
Swan
The town bike
+54|5446

Bevo wrote:

Swan wrote:

Back-up yourself up as a troll attempt, sure. Slow drivers cause people to swerve. Fast drivers don't.

I'm "small minded" because I can call bullshit on some comparison that holds no water? Back yourself into a corner champ. "It uh.. yeah I was trolling all along guise ha ha aren't you dumb".

At least I have the balls to admit when I'm wrong.
lol rage moar
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6444|The Land of Scott Walker
As a musician, I am against illegally downloading music.  I speed ... along with everyone else on the highway.
Chou
+737|6790
I see the connection between speeding and torrents?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard