ATG
Banned
+5,233|6538|Global Command
California: Teetering closer to junk http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/06/news/ec … 2009070618

California has engaged in an orgy of spending, but, compared with our federal government, its legislators should feel chaste. The California deficit this year is now north of $26 billion. The U.S. federal deficit will be, according to the latest numbers, almost 70 times larger.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … Krn1jUJwdE

I say funding of illegal immigrant benefits and health care is the number one reason why the state, like our country, is insolvent.

I respectfully ask people to provide proof that this is a misjudgment of the facts.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2009/ … ealth-care
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5711|College Park, MD
I'm gonna regret going to Cali for college aren't I?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
ATG
Banned

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I think you would be insane unless your family has old money or government income.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6658

ATG wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I think you would be insane unless your family has old money or government income.
Why?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England
70 times larger, but their income is also much larger too. Not like debt means anything to the USA, you'll still be able to finance everything and fight everywhere and do all sorts of crazy shit. Come back when it actually looks like the US has no money before people start complaining
ATG
Banned
Because the economy has been destroyed.

Most college kids need to work as well as go through school, and there is shit for jobs.

There is a 10% and climbing sales tax. The highest gas tax. Steep rents. Double car registration over last year.

And there is nothing good on the horizon.

Sorry, but that's the truth. California is the eye of a hurricane, stay out for your own well being.

Mekstizzle wrote:

70 times larger, but their income is also much larger too. Not like debt means anything to the USA, you'll still be able to finance everything and fight everywhere and do all sorts of crazy shit. Come back when it actually looks like the US has no money before people start complaining
Larger, yes. But if California were a nation it would be the worlds tenth largest economy.

"  actually looks like the US has no money.   "

omfg, this place is a riot.
jsnipy
+3,276|6531|...

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Why the west coast? Tons of great schools right around where you live.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6716|67.222.138.85

jsnipy wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England
Is it really that bad ATG, sometimes you make it sound like a Third World country, I guess I'd have to be there and see it for myself to see how it really all is... but right now everything in the US still seems quite extravagant
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

jsnipy wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I know. I got into UMD and VA Tech. UMD was sort of my 'safety'... it's a good school but I wasn't that attracted to it. VA Tech and Santa Clara were my other two options, and I chose SCU cos of its location (silicon valley, so in theory good jobs... but the job market hadn't gone to shit when I accepted). I also had to join the Corps of Cadets at Virginia Tech, which on second though would've been a good thing as I wouldn't be out of shape right now.

@Mek it's not like a third world country, everyone lives on credit so they have things they can't actually afford

edit: I'm actually considering UMD for now. I got accepted for winter semester because I applied on the second deadline and they were too full for Fall. I don't know, I'll have to see about it.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2009-07-06 16:27:08)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6725
I think what ATG is trying to say is that the house of cards is going to fall... I live in an extremely wealthy county(im not rich)...
And i bartend... The bar i worked at closed down... the bar across the street closed down...
  Other friends in the service industry are hurting
due to slower business...

I can't imagine other parts of the US and how their service economy is doing?   I lived through Jimmy Carters presidency
and this seems a lot worse... Wealthy people around here have plenty of money but they aren't spending it(they are unsure about cap/tax healthcare and the govt buying up industries...) So all the wealth distribution and making things level for everyone isn't working out too well...
It is really going to hit home when the tax bills come due... A good segment of the population is teetering on collapse...

My old boss lives within his means and is very smart money wise... but he is 2 months behind on his mortgage...He switched to doing auto service work and he is not making much money... 

This country will survive i have no doubt... but if i didn't know better i would think bush/obama and the govt were all in cahoots to try and destroy
the economy...   People are pissed now big time and their anger has no party...
Love is the answer
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6725

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I know. I got into UMD and VA Tech. UMD was sort of my 'safety'... it's a good school but I wasn't that attracted to it. VA Tech and Santa Clara were my other two options, and I chose SCU cos of its location (silicon valley, so in theory good jobs... but the job market hadn't gone to shit when I accepted). I also had to join the Corps of Cadets at Virginia Tech, which on second though would've been a good thing as I wouldn't be out of shape right now.

@Mek it's not like a third world country, everyone lives on credit so they have things they can't actually afford

edit: I'm actually considering UMD for now. I got accepted for winter semester because I applied on the second deadline and they were too full for Fall. I don't know, I'll have to see about it.
Virginia tech is an awesome school... you would have a blast there... UMD is a lot of fun also.... lot's of people from Jersey/NY go to UMD
I guess all colleges are fun if you know where to look for it...lol
Love is the answer
imortal
+240|6674|Austin, TX

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

...or here in "fly-over" territory.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
@Catbok yeah, I'm not too worried about how fun it is. But as much as picking a school I'll enjoy is important to me, I also gotta keep in mind that I'll be living in that place for 4 years and working there for probably 3.

@imortal if I ever want to transfer I'm probably gonna apply to Texas A&M for one of my schools
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6557|San Diego, CA, USA
I still don't get how Illegal aliens get welfare and living in public housing...
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6752|Reality
FFS stop blaming other people for your solvency problems. Have you learned nothing from history? The Jews got blamed for Germany's financial problems so are you advocating something similar to 'Final Solution' for the illegals? You have 3 million alone in California.

You want to know why your economy is in the shitter just look in the mirror. Most people and companies have been outspending their income for years.
Some people are saying the crisis is over. I say : You ain't seen nothing yet. It reminds of the statements made during WW1. "It will be over by Christmas". 4 years and millions dead later...
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6420|'Murka

ATG wrote:

California: Teetering closer to junk http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/06/news/ec … 2009070618

California has engaged in an orgy of spending, but, compared with our federal government, its legislators should feel chaste. The California deficit this year is now north of $26 billion. The U.S. federal deficit will be, according to the latest numbers, almost 70 times larger.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … Krn1jUJwdE

I say funding of illegal immigrant benefits and health care is the number one reason why the state, like our country, is insolvent.

I respectfully ask people to provide proof that this is a misjudgment of the facts.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2009/ … ealth-care
While that is certainly a large part of it, I think the bigger issue causing CA's budgetary crisis is the tendency to take the budgetary decisions out of the hands of the elected officials and putting them in the hands of the (relatively) underinformed electorate via referenda. Those referenda, when passed, create unfunded mandates that then have to be funded...and the only way to change/eliminate them is via more referenda. And who is going to vote down getting "free" shit? Nobody.

So what happens? The programs that aren't in place via referendum get slashed because they are the only ones that can be. Taxes go through the roof...at least those that are in place via legislation and not referendum. So you get ridiculous vehicle registration/inspection rates, etc.

The funding of illegal immigrant benefits and health care is a sub(though highly visible)set of the larger problem.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6557|San Diego, CA, USA
Was listening to John & Ken Show on the way home and there were talking about a California government program that pays for the homecare of state employees' elderly parents.  This program spends BILLIONS of dollars and we have 6 people investigating fraud.

So Arnold suggests that we fingerprint the people on the program because there could be abuse in the program.  So what do they do, they block the entrance today so the employees can't get into their offices...

1) Why is there a program like that in the first place?
2) Why, if we're spending billions of dollars, more people investigating fraud (which we don't know exists or not)?

This and many other programs like this are why California is in the ditch.  I can't believe I'm paying 9.55% of my income and another 9.25% sale tax into this state...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard