Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Serious reply's that's why it's in DST.

Anyway, as far as self defense law goes if I'm attacked by someone in public to what extent do I get to defend myself? Also in my own home or on my property. Or if someone was trying to steal something of mine like a car, motorbike, etc?

For instance somebody shows up to my house and tries to start a fight with me. I tell them to nicely leave they refuse. Can I shoot them or stab them at that point? Or use like a baseball bat to hit them?

What if I'm out in public and I'm attacked by someone? Could I use whatever blunt object that is within reach and go for head shoots? If so if I end up causing brain damage would I be liable?

If someone tries to steal my car from my drive way can I pull a gun from them and tell them to get the fuck out of the car? If so and they refuse am I allowed to shoot?

If I catch someone breaking into my house at night am I allowed to kill them? I mean it is my house and they shouldn't have been there right?

I'm being 100% serious here.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command
Essentially Mac, you may not use deadly force unless you believe and can prove your life is in danger.

Use it and not prove it go to jail as murderer.

oh fuck, iI am still drunk from last night
LOG
dain bramaged
+51|6121|Punta Gorda,Florida
dunno about where you live but in florida they have a stand your ground law.

basically It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others.

It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.
you learn the true meaning of life when you see houses and cars blow by like leaves on a windy day.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

NJ, so I have to run away or give up my car, tv, wallet, etc. before I can use force. -_-

Lovely.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5701|College Park, MD
Well you see, criminals are just people in need of some rehabilitation (which we all know is so effective) so they actually have more rights than victims. If someone attacks you or breaks into your house, unless you live in a state with its head on straight like Texas you can't hurt him! He's obviously just a misled person and doesn't really MEAN any harm.

Welcome to Saudi America, where criminals have more rights than their victims.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

Serious reply's that's why it's in DST.

1Anyway, as far as self defense law goes if I'm attacked by someone in public to what extent do I get to defend myself? Also in my own home or on my property. 2Or if someone was trying to steal something of mine like a car, motorbike, etc?

3For instance somebody shows up to my house and tries to start a fight with me. I tell them to nicely leave they refuse. Can I shoot them or stab them at that point? Or use like a baseball bat to hit them?

4What if I'm out in public and I'm attacked by someone? Could I use whatever blunt object that is within reach and go for head shoots? If so if I end up causing brain damage would I be liable?

5If someone tries to steal my car from my drive way can I pull a gun from them and tell them to get the fuck out of the car? If so and they refuse am I allowed to shoot?

6If I catch someone breaking into my house at night am I allowed to kill them? I mean it is my house and they shouldn't have been there right?

I'm being 100% serious here.
1: I'd go with maximum force, depending on how serious it looked.
2: If they're stealing and running, I'd just report it.
3: Since it's already face-to-face, deterrence with a weapon and a call to the police would be in order. If deterrence fails you could try to run (at your own risk) or strike.
4: Enter melee at your own risk. If you're going to shoot, you want body shots, not head shots. Head shots are too easy to miss. A body shot has a higher percentage of survival which would win you more sympathy with a hostile jury. If you take it to the 'one to the head' step after he's incapacitated, the court battle may be a bit longer.
5: You may be putting yourself at risk. You don't know how well his eyes are adjusted to the light level or if he's armed as well. You also don't want to have to run him down and deal with that spot of bother. Know the make, model and license plate of your car and memorize any distinctive markings. The police have interceptors and you have insurance.
6: Shoot them before they twist their ankle on a slippery floor and sue you. But in all seriousness, assume that anyone who breaks into an occupied home is prepared for violence. Run, fight, whatever. It's your bag. In this case, if it was a fight, I'd want to use lethal force.

I'd probably consult local law enforcement about technicalities like this rather than a gaggle of rednecks on BF2S, but if you think for a moment that your life is in danger, the last thing you should be thinking about is how much trouble would you get in for defending yourself with whatever means are at hand.

ATG wrote:

Essentially Mac, you may not use deadly force unless you believe and can prove your life is in danger.

Use it and not prove it go to jail as murderer.
It's a really broad call, relying on a ton of environmental and situational issues.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-07-05 10:04:35)

mikkel
+383|6600

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Well you see, criminals are just people in need of some rehabilitation (which we all know is so effective) so they actually have more rights than victims. If someone attacks you or breaks into your house, unless you live in a state with its head on straight like Texas you can't hurt him! He's obviously just a misled person and doesn't really MEAN any harm.

More rights than victims? Care to elaborate on that?
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5749|شمال

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I did not get that joke
Criminals In saudi - guilty or not guilty - gets the chop! they have basically 0 rights.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Beduin wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I did not get that joke
Criminals In saudi - guilty or not guilty - gets the chop! they have basically 0 rights.
I think he was referring to the whole "the rape victim gets lashes" thing.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5749|شمال

Macbeth wrote:

Beduin wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I did not get that joke
I think he was referring to the whole "the rape victim gets lashes" thing.
ahh, roger
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5994|Truthistan
In Texas, on the street you get to use proportional force against an attacker. In your house, you can use deadly force to protect yourself and your family. At night you can use deadly force to protect your property. In fact, Texas just past a law that if you use deadly force on an intruder at night in your house that the DA is no longer obligated to take the case to a grand jury. Taking these cases to a grand jury was considered to be a waste of time and money because juries routinely no bill the accused.

In other states and in other countries like Canada, if you use deadly force, even in your own house, you'll be defending yourself against manslaughter charges. I've even heard of cases where a burglar pushes in through a basement window and then the familes dog bites his ass inside the house and the crook sues and wins. Some places are messed up on their belief that people should not be permitted to protect themself even in their own home.

Macbeth, I believe that you are up in the northeast somewhere, I think your state would fall into the other states and countries category.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

mikkel wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I've heard plenty of stories of people who break into a person's home and get shot, and then sue the person and win.

Or so-called juveniles (please, at 15 years old I knew that you're not supposed to do this shit) getting off easy:
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/04/23/ba … er-jailed/
(gotta love how even with a previous record, the punk just has ot go to a 'treatment facility' instead of the big house)
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

Macbeth wrote:

NJ, so I have to run away or give up my car, tv, wallet, etc. before I can use force. -_-

Lovely.
In a perfect liberal world, your property is not worth defending. In fact, in a perfect liberal world, you should have no property that someone else could want, or does not have. That just wouldn't be, "fair"
mikkel
+383|6600

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I've heard plenty of stories of people who break into a person's home and get shot, and then sue the person and win.
Uh, and if the burglar had shot the resident, the burglar could've been successfully sued as well. That seems just about equal to me. I believe you were talking about inequality of rights favouring criminals. Care to give any actual examples?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

mikkel wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Uh, and if the burglar had shot the resident, the burglar could've been successfully sued as well. That seems just about equal to me. I believe you were talking about inequality of rights favouring criminals. Care to give any actual examples?
yup how about criminalizing a woman rape victim at the trial of the guy who raped her. Bringing up her past relationships etc. as if it had anything to do with the trial

Also, if you think it is fair and equal for a criminal to sue their victims when his plan failed, you are pretty much exactly the problem with the country.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6499|so randum
I still find it laughable someone will condone deadly force for the theft of a TV
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

mikkel wrote:

Uh, and if the burglar had shot the resident, the burglar could've been successfully sued as well. That seems just about equal to me.
It's not equal at all. People shouldn't be allowed to break into homes, which they aren't. If they want to run the risk of getting shot or killed, then ok. I just don't get why any court would dare defend a person who broke into a home and got his comeuppance for it.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET SHOT BY SOMEONE DEFENDING THEIR HOME HOW ABOUT YOU DON'T INTO THEIR HOME IN THE FIRST PLACE? In states that aren't led by retards, there are laws called "Castle Laws." The premise is that your home is your castle, a place where you should feel safe from any neerdowells. If someone tries to assault the sanctity of your home, you should be free to use any force to neutralize the threat. People shouldn't break into homes unless they're prepared to die for it.

@Ted I don't condone it per se. But if a robber gets shot I won't shed a tear.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2009-07-05 11:29:00)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

mikkel wrote:

Uh, and if the burglar had shot the resident, the burglar could've been successfully sued as well. That seems just about equal to me. I believe you were talking about inequality of rights favouring criminals.
The burglar should have given up said right to sue because he was posing a potential lethal threat by breaking into an occupied home. By the laws of things that just make sense, the offender (or his family) shoudn't be on equal footing with the victim like that, since it was by said offender's actions that both parties were put into a position of conflict in the first place.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-07-05 11:33:20)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

FatherTed wrote:

I still find it laughable someone will condone deadly force for the theft of a TV
I find it tragic that someone would lay down instead of protecting their property or themselves.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6499|so randum

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I find it tragic that someone would lay down instead of protecting their property or themselves.
Depends how much of a bastard you are i guess. Is a human life (however misguided) worth £400 of electronics?

In my book, no.

Detain him, hand him over to the pigs fair enough. Put four rounds into him, your call. makes you less of a human.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
I think it says something about your stance on this that you refer to the police as "pigs" (unless you're saying it in a jestful manner)
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6499|so randum
it's slang in belfast (and indeed northern England). I mean no offence by it.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

FatherTed wrote:

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Depends how much of a bastard you are i guess. Is a human life (however misguided) worth £400 of electronics?

In my book, no.

Detain him, hand him over to the pigs fair enough. Put four rounds into him, your call. makes you less of a human.
Most robbers do not break into a home with some sort of weapon, you plan on holding interviews before you decide how to react, or will instinctively just lay down?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA

FatherTed wrote:

it's slang in belfast (and indeed northern England). I mean no offence by it.
It is slang here as well, and it does give offense, and shows disrespect. Try calling a cop a pig when you get pulled over. Might as well get your pen ready to sign a ticket.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6499|so randum
in response to both posts;

yeh, its pretty easy - knock the dickhead out. you know your house, he/she won't. then again you have guns, but in every room in my house i have something i could lay someone out with, it wouldn't be hard. plus i'm decent at karate.

2nd, lighten the fuck up. it's like me calling a mate a wanker, i don't mean it, and i'd never say it with meaning. the pig comment is a non issue, don't try and make it one.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard