\A*D/ David12King
+2|5423
Hi everyone,

Just recently I started flying jets (I used to play infantry only for a long time).

I get 2 types of lag whenever I fly (both of which occur randomly).

#1 I'll be flying and all of a sudden I do a little stutter motion and I'll move down (resulting in me crashing).

#2 I'll be flying, go down to bomb, and it seems like I do something, but then I do a double time and look at my wreck with my buzzers going off.

This is really irritating. I can't fly a round without crashing 8+ times.

What could be the cause of this? Someone told me it could be my video card crapping out. I admit my video card is outdated, but the game has pretty low requirements. The rest of my computer is very up to date so I don't think it could be anything else.

Someone said it could be my internet crapping out. That is possible because I have DSL that I share with 2 other people.

Does anyone know what the problem is?
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6752|San Antonio, Texas
Do you have a wireless router?
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5860|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
if someone else is sharing connection its prob that, when someones on the comp downstairs at mine even on a webpage it lags me up to almost 1000ping every few second its unplayable
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6479|Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Only when flying - Video card or other hardware related.

All the time- Most likely a connection problem.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6702|England. Stoke

hawaythelads wrote:

Only when flying - Video card or other hardware related.

All the time- Most likely a connection problem.
This...
\A*D/ David12King
+2|5423
@ {M5}Sniper3 - Yes

@ H3RB4L ABU53 - Yeah I do share my connection with some people who are pretty bandwidth intensive. However, I've been alone for a week (ie I was the only one using the network) and was still getting the lag.

@ hawaythelads - I get lag when playing infantry only but not nearly as often.

For the record, here is my machine's stats:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 2550MB RAM
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
Card name: ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series // 256.0 MB RAM

As you can see, my video card is not nearly as updated as the rest of my system is. I custom built this PC and figured it was not worth it for me to get a new video card. All I ever do is manage my business and play Battlefield 2.

Edit:

When I was buying my hardware to build my PC, I had looked into this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814130434

Would this card possibly improve my gameplay?

Last edited by \A*D/ David12King (2009-06-15 22:10:18)

{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6752|San Antonio, Texas
The wireless internet is most likely the problem, try and play a game with a wire. Sharing the connection also hurts the ping and connection.

That GFX card would be better then the one you have but post in the tech section for better feedback of which GFX card you should get for your motherboard & budget.
\A*D/ David12King
+2|5423

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

The wireless internet is most likely the problem, try and play a game with a wire.
Ethernet?
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6709
What size psu you do you have?

yes he means cat5 ethernet...  wire from comp to router/modem
Love is the answer
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6709
you can hit the tilde key (its the one above the tab key on your keyboard)...then when the window pops up on the top of the screen...
type in...    renderer.drawfps 1     
and then hit the tilde key again... your frames per second will be in the upper right of
your screen so you can have a reference ingame... 

what graphics settings do you use in bf2 when you play?

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-06-15 23:43:49)

Love is the answer
\A*D/ David12King
+2|5423

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

What size psu you do you have?
I believe it's 700 watts.

@ {M5}Sniper3 - I'm going to try your solution right now.

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

what graphics settings do you use in bf2 when you play?
Everything is set to medium. I've tried to lowest setting but it didn't help (and it looks like crap).

Last edited by \A*D/ David12King (2009-06-15 23:48:28)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6709
yes a GTX 260 would make your computer a lot better for bf2... by a mile...
the wireless is probably what it is... try plugging a cat5 ethernet cable and see if that helps...
what is your d/l speed with the dsl?

you could also get a 4850 ati that would be very powerful for around 120 bucks after rebate...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814161244

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-06-15 23:56:34)

Love is the answer
\A*D/ David12King
+2|5423

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

what is your d/l speed with the dsl?
https://www.speedtest.net/result/498396088.png

Sadly I pay for 7mbps. I've complained about it before but I usually give up when I get a customer support guy from Bangladesh on the phone.

FTR: I tried using ethernet; it did not help.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6374|the land of bourbon
this happens to me whenever my girlfriend uses sends an email.  it seems like email takes priority and uses all the upload bandwidth.  the best test you can do is to hook up directly to your modem and see if the lag still happens.  if it doesn't, you know it's something your friends pc's are doing while you are playing (even if they aren't using them, it could be updates or something.)  if the lag still happens, however, you need to get a new ISP.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6702|England. Stoke
I would seriously consider getting a new gfx card, the one you linked would be a MASSIVE improvement, but if wanna save a bit of cash look at something like a ATI 4850/4870.
I have a 4850 and it'll handle virtually all of the latest games well, BF2 all high 100+ fps.
\A*D/ David12King
+2|5423

coke wrote:

I would seriously consider getting a new gfx card, the one you linked would be a MASSIVE improvement, but if wanna save a bit of cash look at something like a ATI 4850/4870.
I have a 4850 and it'll handle virtually all of the latest games well, BF2 all high 100+ fps.
I decided to go with a GTX 260 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications … u=B52-0260) from TigerDirect instead of NewEgg since it was $50 cheaper. I also bought 4GB more RAM just to help.

Guess we'll see in 3-7 days if it worked .
\A*D/ David12King
+2|5423
I got my new card and I must say I'm a little disappointed. The lag is slightly less but I'm still getting it from time to time. Also, the gfx are not as top notch as I expected.

I'm also a little worried about my PC overheating. The card uses much more power than I read up on.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6683|Devon, England

\A*D/ David12King wrote:

I got my new card and I must say I'm a little disappointed. The lag is slightly less but I'm still getting it from time to time. Also, the gfx are not as top notch as I expected.

I'm also a little worried about my PC overheating. The card uses much more power than I read up on.
I can't understand why it would be lagging... With a card like that, it's not gonna be a graphical probelm. Your other components seem fine...

BF2 graphics are limited by the game's engine and when it was made. I still think it looks good, though, at all high, full AA etc. (Which you should be able to run flawlessly).

Networking seems like a probability, but if it's only when you're flying... Then maybe not

What's your ping running at when this lag happens? That should be a clear indication of a spike.

Also make sure your RAM isn't crapped up, make sure it's all detected (Might look wrong with a 32-bit OS).
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5860|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
With a 2.5 meg connection and no other comps running on your network it should run fine, not sure how much you know about computers or games, but make sure you get a good ping (less than 50) on the server you play on, and not just join any random server.
Make sure your not using wireless, if you are then I reckon it's that, browsing web pages might seem fast wireless but playing a game on wireless definately won't work good, or not for long anyway.
Like FFLink said your GPU should run BF2 at max (100fps) even with all on high and 16xAA etc on Nvidia Control Panel if you want it, you could try turning Vsync on in Nvidia Control Panel to see if it makes it go due to too high fps, but I doubt it's that- worth a try anyway.
Silly thing to say but make sure you have no viruses obviously they can take up a lot of bandwidth and CPU.
Don't know what else to suggest lol like someone else said try plugging your modem straight into your PC with the wire, if the lag goes then your router isn't set up right.
Also if you haven't overclocked anything, it shouldn't ever overheat, even if you have overclocked and it does overheat it's nothing to worry about- most modern hardware have stuff in them to protect the components from heat damage
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
+24|6184|Contae Chorcaí | Éire
Another suggestion is to fly a jet or do infantry on Single player, if it lags its hardware, if it doesn't, its Internet! simple as!!
While we are discussing routers and such, I have a Linksys Wireless G 54Mbps router which accommodates my PC, a PS3, an XBox360, a Wii and a PSP. It (of course) cant keep up so I'm wondering if i should get this and would buying it eliminate lag spiking during game play?

Last edited by G.Cronin (2009-07-01 13:50:48)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

It may also have something to do with the connections of other players. Although if it's jets only, I doubt it.

This past week, whenever a specific player would join our server, everyone else would get connection issues at the exact same moment, and this player's ping would jump up. Apparently she was having internet issues, which would screw up the rest of us. Weird. (Oh, and this player wasn't hacking; 3 and 18 isn't hacking )
\A*D/ David12King
+2|5423
I bought a new ethernet cable and the lag seemed to stop.

Big props to you, {M5}Sniper3. You cannot imagine how much I hated lagging while flying.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard