Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,812|6248|eXtreme to the maX
I remember a kid who got an A* in physics who asked me if he should add up the volts or the amps to work out the total power on a circuit.....
He was unable to operate a washing machine.

The aim of education too often is to stifle creativity.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6680|Long Island, New York

usmarine wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

There was a girl in AP US History who didn't even know who shot Abraham Lincoln or JFK.
Do you know who shot JFK?

(It might not have been Lee Harvey...)
sadly, this guy has a point.  nobody knows tbh.
Well, the generally accepted person who shot JFK.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6466|New Haven, CT
As a preface, I apologize for the many typos I know are present throughout this post. It is 4:00 am, I'm tired, and the post is too long to read through. If you see a 'the' where a 'than' or 'that' would be more appropriate, or a combination of mixups thereof, use which owurd makes the most sense in the context of the sense.

With that said, there is so much wrong with your proposed solution (although less with your identification of the systems inadequacies). As a general sense, you are saying that high school education is not applicable enough to the real world, and does little to prepare students for anything. Aside from the view that high school is a generalized education intended to provide a good foundation for a career path that people choose once they graduate (as opposed to the young age of 15), here is a selected response to your proposal. Consider, as you are reading, how fixing the educational value of high school to make classes teach general skills more effectively (general skills of critical thinking and basic memorization), and using colleges to provide the specialization, might be a bit more productive idea than radically overhauling our educational system while simultaneously threatening to ease the practice of essential civil liberties.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Unless you have such a crippling deficiency in one area that you cannot get by with extensive studying and memorization, you don't know what your strong points and your weak points are.
Except if you can get by one subject with significantly less studying and effort than another subject, and you can think with a modicum of logic, you will recognize what you are strong and what you are weak in. I know literary analysis is not my strongest area academically, even though I've passed English with As consistently, because I have to put more effort into understanding it. That definitely wasn't the case with calculus. Admittedly, there are confounding factors such as the difficulty of the teachers and their teaching ability using in class time, but still, over the years, its easy to get a sense of you skill set. You are portraying the situation as much more polar than it really is.

Students will change their attitudes to suit the requirements of the rewards dangled in front of them. In the case of education, the only immediate goal is that of class rank/gpa at the moment.
It sounds like you were in a typical highly competitive rich suburban school (although a quick Wikipedia search confirms that is true.) Consequently, I don't think the kids were as motivated to get their high GPA in order to be better for the sake of being better as much as they were in order to maximize their chances of admission to highly ranked colleges. Are you also suggesting that college admissions be altered to match your new vision of how schooling works? Unless you either abolish the notion of disparate college qualities (which isn't going to happen) or find some way to reduce the demand for top college educations (which has an exceedingly low chance of happening), you aren't going to be able to prevent kids from trying to differentiate themselves through objective measures. As I alluded to above, the colleges could change the basis of their admissions decisions to better correlate with the high school system, but then how do they ensure they get the students they want? Or are colleges abolished completely considering the new level of specialization, or perhaps made available in the traditional sense solely to those identified at 15 of being intellectual enough to need the further education?

Really, your proposed solution contradicts a lot of our constitutional principles regarding freedom of choice. Getting steered by the government into what has been identified as your specialization (I'm not sure how this is determined, as you seemingly glossed it over) at an age when your brain is still developing seems like a step towards authoritarianism. Ayn Rand was against governmental control in peoples' lives (if I read the boredom* that was Anthem correctly); I find it interesting you are quoting her when your system seems to be enabling the opposite of what she so strongly advocated for.

And, as I hinted at above, human brains are not fully developed at 15; they aren't until 25. You can't pretend to know what a person's long term interests are at 15, especially in an academic or career setting. Rather than allowing people to specialize in something they enjoy and could do for the rest of their lives, you would force them to study one field they like at that moment in time, but hardly could like decades down the road. Even people who are educated well and ostensibly have a career selected change their mind. I read a story the other day about a banker who decided after five years of banking that she wanted to sell antiques instead, as banking was no longer something palatable or something she could do effectively. Under your system, of course, she would have had to remain a banker, or perhaps would have been a nurse instead (who knows what she thought her interests were back in the early 1980s). People aren't machines; they can't be expected to remain constant or be immutable.

*Not completely boring, as the book was thought-provoking.

The fact is the desirable traits are being repressed in favor of other traits that are more profitable in the short term. As it is set up now, creativity, intuition, the desire for understanding, and the ability to struggle with problems independently are being systematically crushed out of students.
This is something that could be alleviated by improving the teachers. See below for details. It only works for kids who genuinely have these traits, though; some are anti-intellectual, and would be regardless of their teaching situation. I learned to suppress it temporarily in classes which didn't require work, used them in classes which did (see below), and recognize that in college, I will again get to use them. The system certainly hasn't had this ruinous, indelible effect on me.

Or maybe, this change should really occur at the elementary school level, since during these formative years many kids who would otherwise be intellectuals with the desirable traits enumerated above are being crushed by schooling? I certainly wasn't. Maybe it really has something to do with the parents. Or maybe with genetics. It might be a bit more complex than initially addressed in either of our posts.

As an aside, where is your salutatorian going to college?

konfusion wrote:

SATs...reward mindless repetition of text
They don't. Yes, APs are a bit easy (although I've found problems much easier when I actually had understanding of the concepts, though, especially in a larger sense) and general high school classes are mostly memorization, but the SAT does not reward mindless repetition of text. I took three practice tests to get acquainted with it, studied no tricks, and did rather well. It requires reasoning more than repetition.

I prefer it that way, because with the IB and systems like it, you do not study for tests, but you actually try to comprehend what you're learning. Instead of being worried about remembering dates, however important they may be, you make sure you can understand a political subject, and future similar ones. There's always Google for dates, but thus far, Google cannot explain why things happen, and how the world works.
This happens in a regular pubic school system, as well - my AP US History class is a good example. Our teacher was our school's best teacher, and he was the best educated and most intelligent (definitely working in a job below his earning potential). Perhaps you are showing, implicitly, that spending more money and effort in luring good teachers would go a long way towards improving the school system. I would agree with that.

RAMIUS wrote:

The learned ability to comprehend and critically analyze information is critical, but there are many "straight facts" that people should know.  It is only those who can analyze AND have the information that really stand out.
Exactly. As an analogy, the critical reasoning/articulation skills (for a discussion) are a weapon, while the facts pertinent to such a discussion are the ammunition for the weapon. Just as a regular artillery piece is ineffective without shells, critical reasoning is useless (especially in a discussion setting) without objective knowledge. The schooling system should stress critical thinking, but it shouldn't eschew memorization in doing so. It is merely over-emphasized in modern schools, rather than incorrectly emphasized.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
High school education is barely enough to equip someone to survive in the modern world.
It does produce people who are able to learn basic tasks, memorise simple things, not much else - which is useful for drones in a modern workforce - in most jobs thinking is a disadvantage for the employer.
The core tenements of the only school system should be understanding and mental agility.
I guess you mean tenets.
Learning how to learn is important, learning how to memorise things is important, learning how to use those things you memorised - pull them together and solve a problem or create an argument are important. This is what basic schooling should do.
Understanding and mental agility are not things you can be taught, you need to work on them yourself.
Rote learning of 'facts' is not particularly useful, and not a measure of intelligence.
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5753|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
I have to go to public school next year. I had a couple of classes that I need summer school for from breaking my arm last year, and the Counselor just told me: "Don't bother, we'll just count them anyway". I was like: "Seriously, wtf?". They really don't give a shit about actually educating you.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6547|North Carolina
The reason why the system is flawed is because of the variance in human ability.

Flaming is viewing this from the perspective of an overachiever.  I'm assuming he's near the top of his class.

There are several others near the bottom.

The problem is that the wide variance in IQ and general competence among kids forces administrators to come up with a system that fits the needs of the average student.  This means particularly smart kids feel like the system is too easy, while the dumb ones think it's too hard.

In the end, the average kids benefit the most from the system.

In a way, I agree with Flaming that we should specialize earlier.  In Germany, they have a 2-tier system, where the academic kids go through traditional classes in the equivalent of high school while the technical kids go through more vocation oriented classes.  This seems to work pretty well in accommodating human variance.

Last edited by Turquoise (2009-06-13 08:45:38)

-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6796
I was in gifted classes through middle school, and we were encouraged by the teacher to solve problems in our own way: cut to junior high, and teachers are marking my work wrong in math class if I reach the correct solution through a manner that wasn't specifically taught in class.  As someone aptly put, it would seem as though they wanted to stifle creativity.

As one of 12 valedictorians, and I can honestly attest that, of all 12, I was most likely the least "studious", but the others fit the aforementioned stereotypes of not being able to wash their own damn clothes or fix an actual meal for themselves, whereas I could perform routine car maintenance, cook basis things, etc.  I remember in my freshmen year of college, when I would go to my dorm's laundry room there would nearly always be someone calling home to ask their mom how to operate the goddamn washing machine.  A washing machine!!!

I feel like students are now taught in such a way that rote memorization serves them well in school, but in the process they lose the capacity to "think outside the box".  And it is true, this seems to be exactly what is wanted of them....

Teachers are the integral parts of a flawed system that are given the charge of conveying knowledge to students, but now with so much emphasis placed on achieving a certain level of "performance" on standardized tests that will ultimately determine school funding, one can quickly see the predicament they face:  any teacher who doesn't cater to the specific aspects of their course subject matter that the state deems most important, will most likely have pupils who don't score as highly on the standardized tests, which may then cause a teacher to lose their job or the school to lose funding (or both...).  And this isn't even going into the argument of whether or not teachers earn enough to actually expect them to do a good job... ( I can tell you, teachers who push memorization of subject matter tied directly to a specific test, are probably overpaid...those who still attempt to cover everything, while still trying to emphasize key points, are probably underpaid because it just makes their job that much harder).

If you want to jump up to a collegiate level, there are still plenty of professors who stress critical thinking.  The problem here is the presence of so many bullshit degree programs that don't actually require students to ever learn anything that truly stresses the ability to think.  All degrees are not created equal:  I am applying to dental school, and have met people with near-perfect GPAs with degrees in Business or Philosophy that get accepted, whereas I have a 3.1 GPA overall, but a 3.8 GPA in "science" classes (Calc., Physics I and II, Biochemistry, Organic Chem. I and II, Physical Chemistry, Molecular Genetics, etc....) that were quite difficult, but on paper I am not considered as strong a candidate based solely on my overall GPA.   

The disparity in my overall GPA, and GPA in science classes, stems from the fact that colleges push all of these requisite classes on students to make them "well-rounded", when all it is is an attempt to milk more credit-hours out of them.  I can honestly say I never learned a damn thing in any of the required English or art classes I took: I may have read books or looked at art that I had not previously seen, but as far as actually learning something new, or suddenly viewing an issue in some new light, they were complete wastes of my time and money.  The majority of classes that fit this bill were classes that I didn't care in the least about, and often would wind up getting a C simply based on poor attendance and not because I didn't write excellent papers or raise good points about the work studied. 

(Please note that I love art and literature, and am not saying they aren't worthwhile...I just feel that the required classes that teach to the lowest common denominator A) shouldn't even be pushed at a college level because our high schools should produce students capable of writing a paper, and B) such minimal exposure to a broad subject only scratches the surface and doesn't really prove all that useful to begin with)

Basically, from my experiences it's not hard to see that there are flaws in our educational system from top to bottom.

But how do you fix it?  It's like trying to mend a sinking ship without docking at port or evacuating everyone on board...
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6692|CH/BR - in UK

Turquoise wrote:

The reason why the system is flawed is because of the variance in human ability.

Flaming is viewing this from the perspective of an overachiever.  I'm assuming he's near the top of his class.

There are several others near the bottom.

The problem is that the wide variance in IQ and general competence among kids forces administrators to come up with a system that fits the needs of the average student.  This means particularly smart kids feel like the system is too easy, while the dumb ones think it's too hard.

In the end, the average kids benefit the most from the system.

In a way, I agree with Flaming that we should specialize earlier.  In Germany, they have a 2-tier system, where the academic kids go through traditional classes in the equivalent of high school while the technical kids go through more vocation oriented classes.  This seems to work pretty well in accommodating human variance.
Now that is something I very much disagree with. I think the system in Germany, and incidentally in Switzerland as well, is flawed in that it separates people starting in 5th or 6th grade. Do you guys remember what grades you got back then? Already at that point it is decided if you go into a better, mediocre or worse school, which ends up deciding whether or not you can attend universities at all, or whether you will be forced, later on, to do an apprenticeship. Granted, in Switzerland, apprenticeships are treated with much more respect than in most places, and degrees aren't just handed out to everyone like in the USA. However, I think a separation at the age of 10-11 benefits only the chronically lazy.

nukchebi0 wrote:

konfusion wrote:

SATs...reward mindless repetition of text
They don't. Yes, APs are a bit easy (although I've found problems much easier when I actually had understanding of the concepts, though, especially in a larger sense) and general high school classes are mostly memorization, but the SAT does not reward mindless repetition of text. I took three practice tests to get acquainted with it, studied no tricks, and did rather well. It requires reasoning more than repetition.
The SAT requires more reasoning, yes, but primarily it rewards people who study on how to take the test, rather than how to succeed. I did an SAT prep course, and all I was taught is how to get by the flawed system. It's almost like cheating.

nukchebi0 wrote:

konfusion wrote:

I prefer it that way, because with the IB and systems like it, you do not study for tests, but you actually try to comprehend what you're learning. Instead of being worried about remembering dates, however important they may be, you make sure you can understand a political subject, and future similar ones. There's always Google for dates, but thus far, Google cannot explain why things happen, and how the world works.
This happens in a regular pubic school system, as well - my AP US History class is a good example. Our teacher was our school's best teacher, and he was the best educated and most intelligent (definitely working in a job below his earning potential). Perhaps you are showing, implicitly, that spending more money and effort in luring good teachers would go a long way towards improving the school system. I would agree with that.
I agree that it depends on the teacher. However, I have seen the tendency to put more value on dates and trivia, or grammar and spelling, a lot more in AP than the IB. For example, I took French in both. In the AP exams, if I had perfect grammar and spelling, but spoke very awkwardly and incomprehensibly, I could get a 5. If I spoke, trying to match the accent, and piecing together more complicated conversations with the meager AP vocabulary, I was rewarded with a 4. In the IB, on the other hand, I was rewarded for comprehension of the language. Thus, when I performed my oral exam about a more complicated subject - with a small vocabulary, but understanding the vocabulary of my teacher, I got a 7. The same thing showed in the essay I wrote in the IB. I was rewarded for trying to communicate intelligently, rather than sticking to the mindless drivel they had in the text book about what a beautiful day it may or may not be.

I found that the AP program was a lot more pedantic than the IB. Whereas the IB (not the French one; the IBO) took into consideration the full picture, and tried to assess whether or not I had understood a given subject by posing difficult questions and making me write pages to explain it, the AP gave me multiple choice, and tried to catch me on technicalities. Granted, the IB may still have some flaws of its own, such as the rigorous system by which we were supposed to write our extended essays, and it's very rare in schools (and very under appreciated). Furthermore, I think it only really rewards the top percentile of a school, which probably explains why it's so rare. However, it's also the only education I've had so far, aside from my university education, now, from which I think I learned anything useful.

-kon
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6667|South Florida

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

There is no focus on the ability to troubleshoot a situation.
Exactly.
15 more years! 15 more years!
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6579|Germany
Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education.
Turquoise
O Canada

konfusion wrote:

Now that is something I very much disagree with. I think the system in Germany, and incidentally in Switzerland as well, is flawed in that it separates people starting in 5th or 6th grade. Do you guys remember what grades you got back then? Already at that point it is decided if you go into a better, mediocre or worse school, which ends up deciding whether or not you can attend universities at all, or whether you will be forced, later on, to do an apprenticeship. Granted, in Switzerland, apprenticeships are treated with much more respect than in most places, and degrees aren't just handed out to everyone like in the USA. However, I think a separation at the age of 10-11 benefits only the chronically lazy.
Good counterpoint, but I was talking about separating people at the age of 14 or 15, not 10 or 11.

I didn't realize they started that early in Germany, so yeah, I also disagree with that.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6849|67.222.138.85
First I would like to thank so many of you for putting time and effort into your posts, it has been an enjoyable read. I want to respond more at length later, but there are a few things I just can't let pass by...

Dilbert_X wrote:

The core tenements of the only school system should be understanding and mental agility.
I guess you mean tenets.
Yes yes understanding and mental agility aren't living in apartments, that's what I get for playing CoH and posting at the same time.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Really, your proposed solution contradicts a lot of our constitutional principles regarding freedom of choice. Getting steered by the government into what has been identified as your specialization (I'm not sure how this is determined, as you seemingly glossed it over) at an age when your brain is still developing seems like a step towards authoritarianism. Ayn Rand was against governmental control in peoples' lives (if I read the boredom* that was Anthem correctly); I find it interesting you are quoting her when your system seems to be enabling the opposite of what she so strongly advocated for.
Sweet jesus no wrong way wrong way...if you think I am going against something Rand would say I probably spoke poorly haha.

The government stays the hell out of education past the age of 15 or whatever the new designated end of "high school" is now. The difference is students go to "college", or preferrably something similar to an internship/tradeschool run by whatever industry they want to go into at the age of 15. It is still completely their choice to continue to one of these schools or not, but it would 1) get the kids out of the system who don't want to be there anyways, while still getting them a certificate and enough education to get a minimum wage job and 2) allow more effective schooling towards a very real goal, the employment in one of the companies that have taught and trained you for the last bits of your formal education. It is still completely the student's choice to do what they want to do.

Uzique wrote:

sux2bamerican.
sux2b pointing and laughing at your neighbor's house that is on fire, while your own is burning behind your back
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6680|Long Island, New York

Turquoise wrote:

That's why, like I said, what NY state has is the best. It's kinda limited (as of now) with options but there's still plenty available. Plumbing, electrics, dental, animal care, etc. Stuff like that.

http://www.esboces.org/

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

First I would like to thank so many of you for putting time and effort into your posts, it has been an enjoyable read.
lol dear god get over yourself.

Last edited by Poseidon (2009-06-13 14:02:52)

Turquoise
O Canada

Poseidon wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

That's why, like I said, what NY state has is the best. It's kinda limited (as of now) with options but there's still plenty available. Plumbing, electrics, dental, animal care, etc. Stuff like that.

http://www.esboces.org/
Very nice...  I wish we had that here.

Granted, my city does have a good technical college.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6485|California

Macbeth wrote:

IMHO Public schools don't teach enough ethics and management. I would love it, if high schools would add classes on teaching people things like responsibility, proper conduct, ethics, life management and planning, and finance. But we must support the arts.
...please tell me you're joking about the 'fuck the arts statement'.

EDIT: At least elaborate upon it so I don't have to spend time to entirely disprove you..

Last edited by xBlackPantherx (2009-06-14 01:58:25)

JahManRed
wank
+646|6770|IRELAND

My sister and mum are both teachers. They say the main problem with schooling these days is that kids aren't allowed to fail. The whole system is engineered so kids always win in some way. They don't know about failure so they don't know disappointment. They don't know how to then step up and drive themselves. They get lazy. My sister is teaching A level and she says the kids hand in any old rubbish knowing she is duty bound to basically edit it for them and hand it back to them. They can repeat this process as many times as they want until they end up with work which is no representation of their intelligence.

Now adays you hand you work in and the teacher puts notes on it pointing out your mistakes, then gives it back to the pupil to edit the work. In effect, telling them whats wrong with their work and how to fix it. This continues right through to university. Am I the only one who thinks that's fucked up? When I was at school/college, you worked like fuck, you did your work and handed it in. If you worked hard you passed, if you didn't, you failed. Simple.
I work with recently qualified 'professionals' in the private and public sector and it is bogged down with idiots with degrees who don't have the brains to flip burgers.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Now adays you hand you work in and the teacher puts notes on it pointing out your mistakes, then gives it back to the pupil to edit the work. In effect, telling them whats wrong with their work and how to fix it.
Wow. Wish I'd been able to do that. OK I don't, I'm glad I had it relatively hard.
I work with recently qualified 'professionals' in the private and public sector and it is bogged down with idiots with degrees who don't have the brains to flip burgers.
I've worked with people, given them a task and they've simply not done it. "I didn't know how to do it, so I left it" Great...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard