ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command
Vacuum energy is an underlying background energy that exists in space even when devoid of matter (known as free space). The vacuum energy is deduced from the concept of virtual particles, which are themselves derived from the energy-time uncertainty principle. Its effects can be observed in various phenomena (such as spontaneous emission, the Casimir effect, the van der Waals bonds, or the Lamb shift), and it is thought to have consequences for the behavior of the Universe on cosmological scales.

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmo_constant.html

Thoughts?

Could I cite ‘Dr.’ Bearden’s Vacuum Energy as a source?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6663|NT, like Mick Dundee

You mean zero-point energy yeah?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
ATG
Banned
yup
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
I always understood vacuum energy to be a necessary result of the uncertainty principle - zero, after all, is pretty precise. Too precise.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6517|Montucky
that shit is heavy.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85

ATG wrote:

Vacuum energy is an underlying background energy that exists in space even when devoid of matter (known as free space). The vacuum energy is deduced from the concept of virtual particles, which are themselves derived from the energy-time uncertainty principle. Its effects can be observed in various phenomena (such as spontaneous emission, the Casimir effect, the van der Waals bonds, or the Lamb shift), and it is thought to have consequences for the behavior of the Universe on cosmological scales.
- wikipedia

This looks like String Theory's version of dark energy. Considering String Theory brings a whole new meaning to the term epic fail when tested against Occam's Razor while providing no experimentally validated insight into modern physics, hrmph.
ATG
Banned
Was not wiki. i resent that.
Flaming_Maniac

ATG wrote:

r u 4 realz?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy
imortal
+240|6663|Austin, TX

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

r u 4 realz?

He didn't say that there was not a wiki entry.  He simply stated that he did not derive his information from wiki.  In fact, he even gave another link to show it.

There are ways to obtain information other than to Google of Wiki it.
Flaming_Maniac

imortal wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

r u 4 realz?

He didn't say that there was not a wiki entry.  He simply stated that he did not derive his information from wiki.  In fact, he even gave another link to show it.

The excerpt I quoted is the introduction to the wikipedia article on vacuum energy verbatim.
imortal
+240|6663|Austin, TX

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

imortal wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

r u 4 realz?

The excerpt I quoted is the introduction to the wikipedia article on vacuum energy verbatim.
And where did whoever posted the wiki article get it?  Maybe ATG forgot to put that he was quoting somewhere else.

Last edited by imortal (2009-06-12 18:33:47)

Flaming_Maniac

imortal wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

imortal wrote:

And where did whoever posted the wiki article get it?
Unless they got it from ATG, he should have posted his source. Wikipedia or otherwise.

to your edit: lol well if he did just forget, I would imagine he would have posted the link when he told me it wasn't wikipedia. Otherwise I don't know why he is intentionally leaving us in the dark.
ATG
Banned
I asked about using a certain somebody as a source.
Go investigate and report back asap.
Flaming_Maniac

http://www.csicop.org/si/2007-01/fringe.html wrote:

“Dr.” Bearden is fond of putting PhD after his name. An Internet check revealed that his doctorate was given, in his own words, for “life experience and life accomplishment.” It was purchased from a diploma mill called Trinity College and University—a British institution with no building, campus, faculty, or president, and run from a post office box in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The institution’s owner, one Albert Wainwright, calls himself the college “registrant.”

Bearden’s central message is clear and simple. He is persuaded that it is possible to extract unlimited free energy [lolololololol] from the vacuum of space-time. Indeed, he believes the world is on the brink of its greatest technological revolution. Forget about nuclear reactors. Vacuum energy will rescue us from global warming, eliminate poverty, and provide boundless clean energy for humanity’s glorious future. All that is needed now is for the scientific community to abandon its “ostrich position” and allow adequate funding to Bearden and his associates.
No, you can't.

Did he say the para in question?
ATG
Banned
rick
Spark
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
Ah. In that case, no, you can't - you'd get nothing, as the negative "ripples" of energy would cancel out the positive ones (leaving the appearance of a vacuum).
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Flaming_Maniac

ATG wrote:

rick
what?
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5993|Truthistan
Interesting stuff.
I heard second hand from a friend about a lecture given by some old physicist who was old enough to not give a crap about what other people said about him. He talked about light transmission through space vacuum.

Space is a better vacuum than can be achieved on earth, but even in that vacuum there are particles and the density of particles is about 1 atom per cubic centimeter.

The old guy was saying that there is a correlation between the amplitude or density of light waves and the density of particles in space vacuum. Now here is the part I don't quite know how to explain but here it goes, light requires particles in space for the transmission of light and that the density of particles in space is equivalent to the amplitude of a light wave. The short story is that light waves create their own particles when they move through space vacuum. That means that light waves will create matter. So I guess if you are observing a pure vacuum and light enters the vacuum, the light will create its own particles to permit the transmission of light and so you will get mass.

Don't ask me to explain it, the old guy was going on about light creating matter and that we don't fully undertand its true power of a beam of light.

Anyway for what its worth.... if true it means that its not true that "these particles are always created out of the vacuum in particle-antiparticle pairs." its actually light waves transforming into particles.
Spark
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
That's an interesting theory...

I thought it was commonly accepted that light was most definitely a particle, not a wave, and it just acted like a wave because of quantum effects.
~ Richard Feynman
ATG
Banned

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

rick
what?
rolled
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

you suck.  geddit?
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6842|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Zero point energy?
Can it be manipulated?
https://www.ugo.com/games/best-video-game-weapons/images/thumbs/gravitygun-halflife2.jpg
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6663|NT, like Mick Dundee

lel
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6413|Finland

have consequences for the behavior of the Universe on cosmological scales.
inb4endoftheuniverse, black holes and shit...

This shit is a troll from Stargate lol.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6704

Flecco wrote:

lel
?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard