Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

NASA Dryden Research F/A-18 aircraft may cause up to 12 sonic booms a.m. June 11, over and near Edwards AFB, CA.
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news … 09-35.html
NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center will be conducting a series of research flights on Thursday morning, June 11, 2009, that could result in multiple sonic booms being heard in the local area.

Portions of the flights, being flown by NASA F/A-18 aircraft in restricted airspace over Edwards Air Force Base, would be at supersonic speeds. Up to a dozen sonic booms that may be generated would occur roughly between 8 and 8:30 a.m. Loudness of the booms will vary, and depend greatly on local atmospheric conditions at the time of the flights.

These flights are preliminary calibration flights for an upcoming NASA study scheduled for September that is part of a continuing NASA-led effort to reduce the intensity of sonic booms.
https://i36.tinypic.com/2qtlf9z.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

I've never actually witnessed a sonic boom with my own ears.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
Just how loud can they be, I mean these bitches fly so high, probably on the same level as lightning I guess, depending on how close you are, but really, it can't be that loud surely. People need to stop being gay and let us build supersonic transport that can fly fast over land
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum

Mekstizzle wrote:

Just how loud can they be, I mean these bitches fly so high, probably on the same level as lightning I guess, depending on how close you are, but really, it can't be that loud surely. People need to stop being gay and let us build supersonic transport that can fly fast over land
ever heard something go super?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Mekstizzle
WALKER

FatherTed wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

ever heard something go super?
no

Remember I live in a proper area which isn't used as a testing range etc etc..
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6829|Grapevine, TX
tis Very loud! The interesting thing about them being Sonic, is you feel it internally
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6194|Schofield Barracks
I love hearing them.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

I know they're discouraged from going supersonic over land for various reasons. Strangely at the airshow here, which takes place over the sea, they still don't go supersonic at any point, that's probably because of the close proximity of houses and stuff to the beach though.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
meh, living near woodford we had tons of cool stuff fucking around in the skies. was good.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6156|Vancouver | Canada

Mekstizzle wrote:

I can't tell if you're being dumb on purpose or not.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Mekstizzle wrote:

Way the hell louder than thunder. I get plenty of thunder also.. I've had the windows on my house buckle from them.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6716
We used to have the Concord fly over when they landed and took off from Dulles Airport... They didn't go supersonic until they got over the Ocean
if i recall correctly...  I have heard military jets break the sound barrier and it's loud and awesome... gives you chills...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-06-10 15:09:51)

Love is the answer
Mekstizzle
WALKER

DefCon-17 wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Come on keep up like I said we're not all hicks living in a testing range (except Kmarion, HE invited the USAF, not the other way round)
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command
I am 90 miles from there and didn't hear anything.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

I am 90 miles from there and didn't hear anything.
June 11
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Note that it is very dependent upon angle. Sometimes further is better. @ 90 miles away you could easily here them given the right trajectory and atmospheric conditions.

https://i40.tinypic.com/2lbcknk.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SealXo
+309|6536
I heard a double sonic boom at a beach a few years ago when the shuttle was entereing above texas... i was in ca and it sounded like a bomb went off from inside my ears. its weird. and double booms are supposedly ultra rare
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6408|Somersetshire
Kmarion, did you draw that?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6655

Supposed to wake up at 9:30 tomorrow. Maybe I'll wind up waking up an hour early.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

SealXo wrote:

I heard a double sonic boom at a beach a few years ago when the shuttle was entereing above texas... i was in ca and it sounded like a bomb went off from inside my ears. its weird. and double booms are supposedly ultra rare
The shuttle almost always has twin booms. One for the front of the orbiter and one for the back.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Tehremos wrote:

Kmarion, did you draw that?
No, sorry I should have sourced it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_boom
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Mekstizzle wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Come on keep up like I said we're not all hicks living in a testing range (except Kmarion, HE invited the USAF, not the other way round)
Tampa is not exactly hickville... not that you would know that. You must think hick town is a prerequisite for all AFB's.

The USAF has nothing to do with any sonic booms that I hear. They come 115 miles away on the opposite coast of my state. They are also far and few between.. so I could really give a shit.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5597|Vacationland
Mythbusters did a thing about sonic booms breaking glass, and apparently they can't sonic boom within some 30 miles of a populated area so they have to do it in the desert or out over the water.  The episode was quite interesting a couple shots of adam, who was flying in the super sonic FA-18 Hornet, throwing up and some neat shots of the blue angels who helped with the myth, they flew the planes.  They were able to break a house window with because of the vibrations the sonic booms caused at 200 ft, but no breakage from any wine glasses or anything.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5764|Belgium
I thought sonic booms came with large circular smoke around the plane.
Like this..

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/images/050808_soundbarrier.jpg
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6655

I didn't hear anything this morning, and neither did my roommates

Kmarion wrote:

Sometimes further is better.
I guess maybe I'm too far.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard