GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6431|Finland

Uzique wrote:

The free trial is a good introduction to the entire genre of MMO's and WoW. It's not great nor intensive by any means - but that's not really the point. It's easily enjoyable and very casually immerses you in a game that offers an extremely expansive universe with a small taster of a, well, starting 'planet' .

As everyone will tell you, the game only starts to properly 'warm up' around level 20, and as with all MMO's, the real content and fun lies at endgame Level 80. Something to consider whilst playing; the game gets exponentially more fun the more time and effort that you invest in it.
It gets exponentially more expensive the more more time and effort you invest in it.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6778

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

It gets exponentially more expensive the more more time and effort you invest in it.
eh?
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6470|The Twilight Zone

usmarine wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

eh?
moar plz
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6506|Gogledd Cymru

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Look up what exponential means then fuck off trying to be a smartarse.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6431|Finland

usmarine wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

eh?
Advancing on the next level takes more and more time after each level up. Gotta keep buying more WoW time -> more expensive.

edit: Oh and look at all you WoW fanatics. WoW = serious business I guess.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-06-07 16:07:20)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6470|The Twilight Zone

The Sheriff wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

heh he not an English speaker, he tries
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Oisín | Irishpride
Banned
+118|5611|Dublin, Ireland
Play BF2, not that shit.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6681|NT, like Mick Dundee

Oisín | Irishpride wrote:

Play BF2, not that shit.
Way to read. He can't.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6535|Montucky
https://blogs.radiotown.com/breezy/files/2008/11/man-card.jpg
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6268|England
You could try Guild Wars, no subscription fees involved the expansions are fun & it can usually be found cheap as well.
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5995|Blue Mountain State
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6778

yes but this laptop is basic as it gets I think.

Windows Vista Home Basic
Intel 585@ 2.16ghz
1916mb RAM
Direct X 10
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6535|Montucky
Eve.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6701|United States of America

.Sup wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Stop defending the WoW players. I used to think you two were cool.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6431|Finland

DesertFox- wrote:

.Sup wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

Stop defending the WoW players. I used to think you two were cool.
Calling me wow player is insult.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6485
So long as you don't make it your whole life I don't see anything wrong with playing WoW.

It's not like BF2/TF2/CoD4/AIDS is any better.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6701|Espoo, Finland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

usmarine wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

eh?
Advancing on the next level takes more and more time after each level up. Gotta keep buying more WoW time -> more expensive.
It costs a fixed amount each month.

S3v3N wrote:

WoW?

You gotta be fucking kidding Me.

I revoke your man Card.

Play EVE dickface.
Nerd.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6431|Finland

Gawwad wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

usmarine wrote:

eh?
It costs a fixed amount each month.
I fking know that.

You download free WoW trial.

You think its great and buy the game.

You decide to buy every expansion pack that comes out for it.

You get seriously addicted, you need to buy it again and again when you run out of game time.

You lose your job, wife, whatever is left of your social life is gone for good.

Costs grow exponentially. I rest my case.

(and PS. Think a bit before start calling ppl smart ass or that I don't know what exponential means.)

(PSS. This was partly joke, so no need to come guns blazing WoW fanatics. Go watch the South Park WoW Special and you understand)

edit: Why are you bf2s so pissed off these days... more pissed off than bees after someone smashes their nest with baseball bat... :3

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-06-07 17:07:58)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6165|'straya

usmarine wrote:

yes but this laptop is basic as it gets I think.

Windows Vista Home Basic
Intel 585@ 2.16ghz
1916mb RAM
Direct X 10
Meh that'd probably play a game like CS:S or something... seriously unless u dedicate your life to it. wow is boring as fuck.
Defiance
+438|6687

With the couple expansions that have come out, WoW is an expensive game to get started on. That said, it's easily the best game to try if you're new to the MMO genre. However, the game starts at 80. Until you're 80, you're only real concern should be to get to 80.

With those in mind, the best advice I can give is as follows:

The trial is pretty much a waste unless you've never played an MMO before. If you get the 20 levels the trial allows and find some enjoyment in the game, purchase the standalone game and go from there. If you hit the level cap and want to go on, get the next expansion. Continue as the logic suggests.

Buy single month subscriptions (or time cards) until you know you're going to play for a while. The multi month subscriptions will save you money but you'll waste even more if you stop after a month.

Find a group of friends that you can play with. As said, the game begins at 80. It can be fun to level, but without some sort of company, it can get a bit mind numbing. That said, use a leveling guide. There are certain level ranges (late 40s, mid 50s) where it will feel like there is no where to go, nothing to do. The use of a leveling guide will avoid those moments entirely and get you to 80 much faster then you would alone. Example: My first char: Took some 14 days to level to 60. The char I'm on now: 1-80 in 7.25 days. Granted, the first char was my first and I took leveling far less seriously, but there is lots of time to be saved. I have a fuckton of these guides, PM me if you want one.

Finally, control yourself. WoW can be addicting in a sense because there's so much to do, especially in the new expansion, that if you constantly set goals for yourself, like I did, you end up playing way too much, like I did, and then you ought to quit playing, like I did. I came back to the game because a handful of my friends play it and it's very fun to play with friends.

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

(PSS. This was partly joke, so no need to come guns blazing WoW fanatics. Go watch the South Park WoW Special and you understand)
Perhaps I misunderstand what you're saying, but that episode is as satirical as everything else South Park does. If all you know of the game is that episode and fanatical stories you've heard, that's the reason you try to make this silly point.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6791|Noizyland

To be honest any game where you have to play for fucking months, (or however long it takes to get to level 80,) until the game even starts is not worth the time, money or effort.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6487

Ty wrote:

To be honest any game where you have to play for fucking months, (or however long it takes to get to level 80,) until the game even starts is not worth the time, money or effort.
1-80, casual playing for an average gamer = 3-4 weeks. 2 months at absolute tops- talking ultimate leisurely pace right there.

People that don't have a clue and make blanket statements with no real information or education are "not worth the time, money or effort".

By the way Panzer, for someone that understands what 'exponential' means, you don't really get much else, do you? Blizzard don't charge you for the amount of time you're going to play; it's £9.00/month and that's that. By saying you're going to want to play more as you become more and more immersed... you're not really saying anything. A month is a month. Whether you play for 2 hours a week casually after work, or 12 hours a day hardcore leveling and raiding, it's STILL £9.00. There's nothing exponential about your little relation. Costs accumulate, they don't "grow exponentially". As for all your bullshittery about losing wife, jobs etc. Well you could apply the same ad adsurdum argument to you spending your own disposable income on computer parts; do anything into the unhealthy extreme and the rest of your life will suffer. World of Warcraft isn't the only potentially-addictive or possibly-harmful contraption within access to gamers and everyday people. It's just damn good at what it does.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-06-07 18:26:58)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Defiance
+438|6687

Ty wrote:

The benefit is the masses of content. The game isn't huge for any arbitrary purpose, the level grind takes time but you don't repeat much on the process. I say the game starts at 80 because I'm only interested in raiding, and a bit of PvP. I know people who would argue the exact opposite and spend most of their playing time leveling other characters.

Uzique wrote:

By the way Panzer, for someone that understands what 'exponential' means, you don't really get much else, do you? Blizzard don't charge you for the amount of time you're going to play; it's £9.00/month and that's that. By saying you're going to want to play more as you become more and more immersed... you're not really saying anything. A month is a month. Whether you play for 2 hours a week casually after work, or 12 hours a day hardcore leveling and raiding, it's STILL £9.00. There's nothing exponential about your little relation.
He said the exponential cost comes from the impact on your social life, not your wallet.

To mock the hypothetical, if your social life is decimated after starting the game, you'll be making a profit. One trip to the movies costs more then I have to drop on this game in a month and I get a hell of a lot more entertainment out of it then most of the crap Hollywood puts out.

Last edited by Defiance (2009-06-07 18:24:54)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6791|Noizyland

Uzique wrote:

Ty wrote:

1-80, casual playing for an average gamer = 3-4 weeks. 2 months at absolute tops- talking ultimate leisurely pace right there.

People that don't have a clue and make blanket statements with no real information or education are "not worth the time, money or effort".
Funny guy. Considering that my statement admitted that I didn't know for sure and that your comment backed up the fact that it can take "fucking months" to get to level 80 I'd say your critisism falls a bit flat. I also have no idea as to how many hours a day constitutes your notion of a "leisurely pace" but it's most likely significantly different to mine.

Look I'm not going to rant abouit how WoW is shit, I did that ages ago anyway. I do want to point out that I simply don't see the game as being worth it. Nothing anyone has told me and nothing I have experienced has changed that opinion.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6149|Scotland!
Ignore anyone who says that it will eat your life up, it's a time waster but it's not half as addictive as people say it is.

I tried it, played a bit and got bored, useful for wasting time if thats all you want to play it for.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard