Rohirm
Fear is a Leash
+85|6192|New Austin, Not
Is this normal? I just downloaded it and my p8600 which is supposed to be running at 2.40 ghz and my clock speed is lower than what its supposed to be. I'm not to familiar with the workings of this program mind you

https://img7.imageshack.us/img7/904/thefuck.jpg
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6652

Speedstep

The poster below me will explain.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6434|Finland

Gooners wrote:

Speedstep

The poster below me will explain.
negative sir....

oh

ok.

Its a feature that clocks down the CPU when idle / low load for power savings.

Load the processor and it should go up in clockspeed.

edit: long story short: Its normal

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-06-04 15:46:12)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6652

ty
signa
~~~~~
+50|6749|Michigan, USA
you can change the cpu downclock in windows power setting.  in xp or vista go to your change screensaver window and there should be a link to power settings.  if your laptop is on  "laptop / portable" it will clock down.  if you set it to "home / office" it should run at full ghz all the time.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6588|NYC / Hamburg

There is absolutely no reason to disable speedstep if you're not overclocking
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
jaymz9350
+54|6597

max wrote:

even overclocking you may be able to use it.  I use it on my q6600 @3.6, it runs at 2.4 idle and lowers the vcore.  i only use it because the vdroop on my board is very bad.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6588|NYC / Hamburg

jaymz9350 wrote:

max wrote:

even overclocking you may be able to use it.  I use it on my q6600 @3.6, it runs at 2.4 idle and lowers the vcore.  i only use it because the vdroop on my board is very bad.
true. I used to use cool 'n quiet (same thing as speedstep) on my opty 170 and it worked great. Cool and efficient when idle, fast when under load. Too bad most intel boards don't support speedstep while OCing.

For me it doesn't matter much anymore since I load up everything to 100% 24/7 anyhow
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
oO
your mum wears a leather wig with grey sideburns
+4|5471
I use a (free) program called ClockGen to overclock my 2.2Ghz cpu up to about 2.4.

Seems to work, and nothing has blown up yet.

Still, as others have said, I don't think OP has a problem as such.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard