Poll

Who should pay for college?

Parents50%50% - 17
Kids50%50% - 17
Total: 34
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5595

So who should pay for the college education? Should the parents pay for their children or should the children be forced to get a job or take out loans?

Last edited by Macbeth (2009-05-31 17:09:07)

Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6363|West NY
This is not true in all cases
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5606|Vacationland
50/50 I think
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5595

Noobpatty wrote:

Well where am I wrong in my analysis of possibilities?
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6363|West NY

Macbeth wrote:

Noobpatty wrote:

Well where am I wrong in my analysis of possibilities?
  • Scholarships
  • Not everyone taking their education for granted
  • Those who are confident they will do their best at paying their dues

Ultimately it comes down to the specific person.
If you generalize everyone who receives a college education as either of the two you listed then you're a bit inaccurate in your "analysis".

Last edited by Noobpatty (2009-05-31 17:09:38)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6654
the state or the country, like in Europe!
mcjagdflieger
Champion of Dueling Rectums
+26|6320|South Jersey
Baby boomers, those fuckers boned us real good, its time we get a little payback. They need to be more responsible about something, it might as well be the future of our bright american youth (lol) monkey see monkey do
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6726|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
Depends on the circumstances, but for the most part I'd say the parents should pay or at least help out with paying for college.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6559|CH/BR - in UK

You forgot C), the government
I'd say the parents if they can afford it, the kids and parents together otherwise. Nothing like a bit of financial support from your parents to keep you from getting into debt before you're making any real money ^^

-kon
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477
Government.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6558|San Diego, CA, USA

blademaster wrote:

...though all the taxes they levy on everyone after filtering though highly-paid bureaucrats.

^^fixed
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477

Harmor wrote:

blademaster wrote:

...though all the taxes they levy on everyone after filtering though highly-paid bureaucrats.

^^fixed
Well if people are more educated then they make more money then you collect more taxes on them.

No one loses.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5595

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Harmor wrote:

blademaster wrote:

^^fixed
Well if people are more educated then they make more money then you collect more taxes on them.

No one loses.
Long term benefit, short term lose.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6658

Parents. In a lot of cases, parents start to save money when the kids are born for college. This makes a lot of sense; it doesn't cost the parents that much as they just need to save a few thousand per year, and then it means when the kids graduate they aren't suddenly having to pay $200,000 dollars back. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Obama only paid his college loans back less than 10 years ago.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6658

Oh sure. I was mostly referring to the US, since that's where the OP is from. My parents are paying for my uni bills though. That, and money that my grandparents gave me to pay for college with. Because both feel spending 10 years of my life in debt is stupid.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina

blademaster wrote:

ghettoperson
+1,943|6658

TBH though, I think it's a bit of stupid thread. Surely it's going to be down to your individual situation? Either you're parents are well off, or have the intelligence to save some money when they have kids, or they don't and the kid is forced to get a loan. Seems pretty clear cut really.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5595

ghettoperson wrote:

TBH though, I think it's a bit of stupid thread. Surely it's going to be down to your individual situation? Either you're parents are well off, or have the intelligence to save some money when they have kids, or they don't and the kid is forced to get a loan. Seems pretty clear cut really.
Well I would give a situation if you'd like. Parents make more then enough to pay for the college of the child and pay for their life's luxury but choose to make the student work their way through college because they would "appreciate it more". The child is managing to pay for their college but at the expense of their personal lives, sanity, and grades.

Should the parents not be assholes and pay for the college or should the child be forced to sacrifice to get a degree?

Last edited by Macbeth (2009-05-31 18:14:32)

trippy982
+34|6407
Parents without a doubt.  If you can't afford to put your kid through college or provide them the right environment to prosper then don't pop out kids.  It's not the tax payer's problem to help you feed, educate, and take care of your kids.  This is especially true with people who pop-up kids just to take advantage of welfare.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6724|US
It should primarily be the responsibility of the student, but if they can get someone else to contribute more power to 'em!

My parents paid for stuff during high school, with the intent that I focus on academics and get a scholarship.  It worked.  They still provide some money, but that is out of kindness rather than some sense of responsibility.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6784|Noizyland

If you want a University education you should get it any way you can. If you're parents are willing to pay for it, good for you but I hate you. If you want a University education and your parents won't or can't pay for it then go for scholarships, work, get a student loan or have a combination of all three. If you're going to University just because you think it's the "next step" even though you're only going to be a Bus driver when you grow up then fuck off and work so the government can subsidise more of my course fees.

I think it makes you a better person if you pay for it yourself. I see these people who live in $250 a week flats and go out on the town three nights a week because their parents basically fund their lives. Sure it may be great but I'd rather live in a dingy flat living off the few dollars I can scrounge together every week for groceries. It may not be glamorous but it makes you feel like more of a person.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5620|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
I think it should be about 50/50, but I think it would be good for the student to get some kind of job and work towards paying for it somewhat, to get a feel for the potential stress of real life.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6853|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Taxpayers.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6663
If parents are going to help cover education costs, I think they should come with the stipulation that their kid will graduate in 5 years or less.  Early on in college I was working and partying more than I was studying, and my parents told me that if I didn't have a degree in that timeframe, then they would stop paying and I would assume responsibility/debt for the costs from then on.  It definitely helped to straighten out my priorities.

My best friend's parents paid for his tuition, but not housing, books, or food.  They ultimately saved him a lot of debt in class fees, but he still had to work part time during school and full time on breaks to cover other costs.   I'd say this is a pretty good way to do it...not exactly 50-50 split in terms of paying for the actual schooling, but it still required a decent amount of discipline on his part.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5759|شمال

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Government.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard