wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6458|UK
I'm going to be commuting to work by the form of cycle Monday, you guys have any tips on safety and bike security. Keep in mind I only spent about 30 quid on this bike. Seriously I'm scared of riding on the road I just follow traffic signals right? I don't want to ride on the pavement that would make me a cunt.
Microwave
_
+515|6653|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Hold your ground! Don't get pushed around by cars.

Lights when it's even slightly dark.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5762|Belgium
lolwat. You're asking advice on how to bike? Isn't it supposed to be the easiest thing around?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
be aware of whats around you at all times. signal properly.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5931|United States
lol how do you get a bike for 30?
CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine

argo4 wrote:

Walmart.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6458|UK
Market bike.
Amdi Peter
peut-ĂȘtre
+111|5546|paris
Signal probably, always know what's around of you, wear a helmet.
robcr9
+111|5979

argo4 wrote:

check google ad @ bottom =DDDDDD
Swan
The town bike
+54|5445
Make sure you fitted for your bike if you are doing road biking. Poor fit can lead to knee issues!
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6310

If you're traveling a fair distance, wear bike gloves or your hands will get blisters.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
do it naked
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

argo4 wrote:

Like this
Swan
The town bike
+54|5445

Bertster7 wrote:

argo4 wrote:

Like this
laughing out loud
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6154|Vancouver | Canada
I used to bike a lot....but that was 7 years ago in Holland, where cyclists have their own little roads.

There are some people here who bike around the city, but they're crazy fuckers.
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5930|CA
1.  Don't wear a helmet.  Wearing a helmet will instantly identify you as a pussy, and traffic will sense your fear. 
2.  Don't wear spandex.  The only people allowed to wear spandex are 80's bands.  If your not an 80's band member, do not attempt.
3.  Carry a comb.  Executing savage tricks will mess up your hair.
4.  Wear only one earplug; leave the traffic side ear unobstructed. 
5.  Avoid spots where chicks hang out.  Riding a bike instantly identifies you as a hippie or hobo.  Nobody likes hippies or hobos.
6.  Go balls out.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

When in doubt go flat out.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
scream at people as you go along
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6576|Columbus, OH
Steroids...inject it in your butt
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

Oh, and when you hit the jump, try to get the back end of the bike out as far as possible to the side, whilst pushing the bars down to flatten the bike out in a super gnar moto-whip style. It helps if you scream "sick" "stoked" or "gnarcore" whilst doing it, and drinking a can of Red Bull at the same time.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6730|St. Andrews / Oslo

GravyDan wrote:

1.  Don't wear a helmet.  Wearing a helmet will instantly identify you as a pussy, and traffic will sense your fear. 
2.  Don't wear spandex.  The only people allowed to wear spandex are 80's bands.  If your not an 80's band member, do not attempt.
3.  Carry a comb.  Executing savage tricks will mess up your hair.
4.  Wear only one earplug; leave the traffic side ear unobstructed. 
5.  Avoid spots where chicks hang out.  Riding a bike instantly identifies you as a hippie or hobo.  Nobody likes hippies or hobos.
6.  Go balls out.
This.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
MrAnderson
Ghost Town T90/Apache Whore
+99|5997|Aberdeen, Scotland
Lol Dan

I never used to wear a helmet, but then some twat cut me up (in daylight, he cut across me as I was going the other way)...I wasn't badly hurt, but there was serious damage to both my bike and his car.

Next time I went out on my bike, a couple of months later, I felt very exposed...I always wear a helmet now, and a thin yellow overcoat. I may look like a twat, but I'd rather that than getting hit again through no fault of my own! I'm not onto the lycra yet though

Anyway, for city biking I would recommend;
- Get clip-in pedals, you can go way faster as you also use the pulling motion of your legs to drive the pedals.
- Follow the rules of the road. Being on a bike doesn't mean you can skip red lights etc...keep in the correct lanes at junctions and you'll be safer too.
- Use signals to let drivers + pedestrians know your intentions. I don't bother when there are no traffic/pedestrians around, however.

Some good advice here already, as James said don't let cars push you around, BUT do ride defensively; lots of drivers don't check their mirrors properly so always keep a close eye on what's around you, especially when passing 'stationary' cars. Also use your lights when it's even a little dark.

Last edited by MrAnderson (2009-05-29 14:20:36)

krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6778|Great Brown North
don't fall/crash
trippy982
+34|6396
Get a side mirror for your bike or an attachment side mirror to connect to your helmet.  This way you know what is coming from behind you and how close.  You should probably avoid wearing headphones.  Blinking red taillight adds extra safety points.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard