GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6423|Finland

AussieReaper wrote:

Because the Earth rotates it is easier to shoot towards one of the the poles and then at your target rather than going over a large area like the pacific ocean.
Flight time:

short, starts world war and we are all going to die in all out nuclear war

or

flight time + couple hours and only one getting blown up is NK.

or

flight time even shorter by firing from sub in SK.

Still want to start  nuclear world war? Y/N
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

The scenario we're talking about is not the initial nuclear attack, but a response to a NK launch against an enemy (in this case America).

I have to doubt that NK does not at present have the capability to launch a S2A missile which would hit the US anyway, but that isn't the point.

If you want a quick and decisive counter attack that at the same time does not threaten your allies/enemies around the globe, you send in a bomber which drops a nuclear payload.

The flight paths of nuclear weapons can be tracked easily enough. Even those launched from the sea. A single bomber from a US airbase in South East Asia would be more than sufficient to wipe out NK in its entirety.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6423|Finland

Thats what I have been saying all the time. USA has so many bases in SK that there is no need to start firing ballistic missiles over 3rd party countries.

And in that kind of scenario other countries wouldn't have any reason to get involved like in the doomsday scenario.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-05-26 06:50:23)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6546|Long Island, New York

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

lots of unnecessary "..." sentence breaks and other non-sensical bullshit that really doesn't even apply to what I said
Like I said.

FatherTed wrote:

or they could just launch from sea?lol
I was gonna say that, lol. Wouldn't be that hard to get a ship into the Sea of Japan and then launch one from there.

The simple fact is that NK doesn't have the balls to nuke anyone, and even if they did, their nukes aren't even powerful enough to do that much damage. Watch them launch a nuke and it be a dud.

I don't think countries (US, Japan, South Korea, whoever) would respond with more nukes, though.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

They might send in a bomber at night and "drop the big one" - tell the gathered media around the world and release reports that claim it was a nuclear device of NK origin that simply failed.

But, let's wait and see...
BVC
+325|6704
Besides ICBMs, there are also bombers and subs available to the US.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6557|San Diego, CA, USA

AussieReaper wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

I guess they don't know BO very well... He already responded... by being.... very upset... no invasion guys... just a stern warning to stop doing it...
You want an invasion of North Korea?
China doesn't want it because:

1) They don't want a Unified Korean Peninsula
2) They don't want all the immigrants (China built a wall on the border with North Korea btw...)
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

AussieReaper wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

And or China.

I'm sure both China and Russia would love US nukes flying above them... lolno
You can shoot over Pacific Ocean no?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … _Korea.svg

why would they shoot over russia and china? lol

edit: besides, USA has this many military installations in South Korea. I bet they have nuclear strike capabilities there too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un … outh_Korea
Because the Earth rotates it is easier to shoot towards one of the the poles and then at your target rather than going over a large area like the pacific ocean.
I don't know if this would apply to ICBMS, but NASA tries to launch it's rockets east (as close as they can get to the equator) in order to get a gravitational boost from the earth. That is why they use KSC. They want to launch over the open ocean. It's not a big boost, but every little bit counts.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mugen
+19|6008
Boost is like 5% of orbit speed. Anyway in those dimensions that's huge and equates to smth like ~1000 mph.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Harmor wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

I guess they don't know BO very well... He already responded... by being.... very upset... no invasion guys... just a stern warning to stop doing it...
You want an invasion of North Korea?
China doesn't want it because:

1) They don't want a Unified Korean Peninsula
2) They don't want all the immigrants (China built a wall on the border with North Korea btw...)
1) That was never going to happen since before the Korean war.

2) Hong Kong has always been a thorn in the side of China anyway tbh (and Tibet used to be...)

I'm just curious as to what Catbox wants Obama to do, since he is so bored with the "inaction" thus far.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6557|San Diego, CA, USA

AussieReaper wrote:

Never say never even though I just did twice.

AussieReaper wrote:

2) Hong Kong has always been a thorn in the side of China anyway tbh (and Tibet used to be...)
Wat?  I thought we're talking about North Korea.  A unified Korean Peninsula would be a power house the Chinese would have to deal with.

AussieReaper wrote:

I'm just curious as to what Catbox wants Obama to do, since he is so bored with the "inaction" thus far.
The worst the POTUS will do is press really hard on the letter he'll sign expressing his feelings.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Mugen wrote:

Boost is like 5% of orbit speed. Anyway in those dimensions that's huge and equates to smth like ~1000 mph.
Depends on location.
A launch from Cape Canaveral, Florida, doesn't get as big a boost from Earth's rotational speed. The Kennedy Space Center's Launch Complex 39-A, one of its launch facilities, is located at 28 degrees 36 minutes 29.7014 seconds north latitude. The Earth's rotational speed there is about 894 mph (1,440 kph). The difference in Earth's surface speed between the equator and Kennedy Space Center, then, is about 144 mph (229 kph). (Note: The Earth is actually oblate -- fatter around the middle -- not a perfect sphere. For that reason, our estimate of Earth's circumference is a little small.)
http://www.astronomywa.net.au/index.php … p;Itemid=8
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Harmor wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Never say never even though I just did twice.

AussieReaper wrote:

Wat?  I thought we're talking about North Korea.  A unified Korean Peninsula would be a power house the Chinese would have to deal with.
Maybe, but as I said, it isn't going to happen. The South Koreans shit themselves every time NK tests a missile for a reason..
BVC
+325|6704
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/24486 … ary-action

NK is no longer recognising the armistice.  I bet $10 on them lasting a month if shit breaks out.

Last edited by Pubic (2009-05-26 22:42:55)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Kmarion wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

You can shoot over Pacific Ocean no? ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … _Korea.svg

why would they shoot over russia and china? lol

edit: besides, USA has this many military installations in South Korea. I bet they have nuclear strike capabilities there too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un … outh_Korea
I don't know if this would apply to ICBMS, but NASA tries to launch it's rockets east (as close as they can get to the equator) in order to get a gravitational boost from the earth. That is why they use KSC. They want to launch over the open ocean. It's not a big boost, but every little bit counts.
It would apply to any projectile/rocket launched from Earth... and it's more than a bit (I could work it out but I cbf. If anyone else wants to do it, v = d/t, x = 2pi*r, r = 6400km (roughly))
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

It would apply to any projectile/rocket launched from Earth... and it's more than a bit (I could work it out but I cbf. If anyone else wants to do it, v = d/t, x = 2pi*r, r = 6400km (roughly))
I know it would apply to anything leaving earth. How much it applies (strategically) was what I was getting at. I don't know if you missed the post after that but the location is a factor as well. The closer you are to the equator the greater the boost. Launching from the equator makes a real difference. The boost for NASA at KSC is aprx 144 mph.

Again, would this have a strategic impact? .. I don't know. I guess you would have to weigh that against all the other circumstances.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Kmarion wrote:

Spark wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I know it would apply to anything leaving earth. How much it applies (strategically) was what I was getting at. I don't know if you missed the post after that but the location is a factor as well. The closer you are to the equator the greater the boost. Launching from the equator makes a real difference. The boost for NASA at KSC is aprx 144 mph.

Again, would this have a strategic impact? .. I don't know. I guess you would have to weigh that against all the other circumstances.
Oh yeah, of course - assuming equatorial launch, that is. If you're at the pole, it's pretty obvious what the net gain is - zero.

That's why all the space launch centres are in Florida... I'm pretty sure that's the main reason anyway. Weather, maybe also a factor?

Whether it has any strategic impact matters as much on luck as anything, since I can't see it shortening (or lengthening) flight time by more than a minute.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Spark wrote:

Oh yeah, of course - assuming equatorial launch, that is. If you're at the pole, it's pretty obvious what the net gain is - zero.

That's why all the space launch centres are in Florida... I'm pretty sure that's the main reason anyway. Weather, maybe also a factor?

Whether it has any strategic impact matters as much on luck as anything, since I can't see it shortening (or lengthening) flight time by more than a minute.
They launch with the rotation, east. In the event of an accident (and srb retrieval) they want their launches over open water. Combine that with the near equatorial boost and you get a south eastern preference. There are also financial reason that make KSC appealing.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

Would seem NK now wants a war, tossing out the old truce, /facepalm Kimmy, just /facepalm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p … 069457.stm
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5584|The Wild West
this is kinda serious
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6640|Finland

Man With No Name wrote:

this is kinda serious
I agree.
I need around tree fiddy.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

China is going to tug the leash.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6725

Poseidon wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

lots of unnecessary "..." sentence breaks and other non-sensical bullshit that really doesn't even apply to what I said
Like I said.

FatherTed wrote:

or they could just launch from sea?lol
I was gonna say that, lol. Wouldn't be that hard to get a ship into the Sea of Japan and then launch one from there.

The simple fact is that NK doesn't have the balls to nuke anyone, and even if they did, their nukes aren't even powerful enough to do that much damage. Watch them launch a nuke and it be a dud.

I don't think countries (US, Japan, South Korea, whoever) would respond with more nukes, though.
way to answer little boy... sad
wait till you get out in the world... then you will realize you don't know as much as you think.

on topic... it does seem that NK is bent on destruction...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-05-27 13:14:30)

Love is the answer
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

Kmarion wrote:

And whack the nose with a rolled up paper.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6674|NT, like Mick Dundee

M.O.A.B wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

And whack the nose with a rolled up paper.
I read recently that Russia has started mobilising forces to the Vladivostok region. Just in case.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard