unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6793|PNW

Ottomania wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

people dont die because of small and efficient cars, they die because of reckless driving.
Guns don't kill people, people do.

I agree with your logic. However, I do like to try and protect myself against reckless driving by making sure whatever vehicle I purchase has decent survivability.
Bigger cars just "pretend" to be safer :

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m … _98469838/

"The argument that lowering the weight of cars to achieve high fuel economy has resulted in excess deaths is unfounded," says Tom Wenzel of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, coauthor of the report with physicist Marc Ross of the University of Michigan. "Safety is a challenging concept. It includes the design of the car itself, driver demographics and behavior, the kinds of roads, the time of day--a whole host of factors." While highway safety is complex, one thing is clear: A safety-conscious driver need not purchase a vehicle by the pound.--R.M.
Great mantra, but the article's title is misleading. It should read: 'Bigger isn't always better.'

First of all, I am aware that there are smaller cars with better safety ratings than some SUV's, but it doesn't mean larger vehicle classes are death traps in comparison.

Second, check this out (from your link):

The study also found that most passenger cars are safer than the average sport-utility vehicle or pickup truck when the risk posed to other drivers is taken into account, a figure the researchers call "combined risk."
I've been driving for several years. I've been pulled over for a fritzed tail light and got a bill in the mail for driving three or four (I think) miles over the last posted speed limit I saw, thanks to a strategically-placed traffic cam in on a short road with about a half a dozen speed limit change-ups (on that note, I just keep to 25mph within city limits, since I'd rather not stock city coffers with outrageous payments for snidely-worded fees). I can count on my fingertips the amount of times somebody's honked at me for a perceived or actual error. So I've been doing pretty good for myself. What do I drive? A Ramcharger, a pickup truck, a cube van and a diesel flatbed. The first one holds my personal tools and gear, the second one can tote what the first can't and the last two are for work.

That being said, poor driving is often based on biased perception. Small car drivers often see larger vehicles as huge (by perspective, they are) cumbersome devices with little reaction time and whose drivers are oblivious to everyone else's safety. Drivers in larger vehicles see smaller car drivers as flighty airheads with no idea how hard it is for a truck to avoid hitting you if you cut in front of it and slam on your brakes. Drivers of really big trucks see everyone as annoying turds who love nothing better than to hang out in their blind spots and get all pissed off when said big truck starts to switch lanes after about a minute of blinkering.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that shared safety is the responsibility of everyone on the road, but since a lot of drivers (in my region, at least), aren't inclined to purge their horrible habits, I feel much better being in something with greater mass than what would likely hit me. I'd rather not be the hapless victim of combined risk, thank you very much. Does that mean I don't care about the other drivers on the road? Absolutely not.

Besides which, there's a practical reason for a bigger vehicle: space.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-05-21 16:41:37)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6696|Canberra, AUS

Harmor wrote:

40% of the energy to your outlet is wasted in as its transmitted to your house.  50% of the energy in the United States is from Coal.

I don't know if you count the fact that electric vehicles' batteries affects on the environment (i.e. caustic materials like "lead-acid batteries" or "lithium-thionyl chloride" cells).

If you could generate electricity at your home, say from solar panels, then this would be worth it.

Honestly Hydrogen-fuel celled vehicles would had been best, but Obama killed funding for that.
That's pretty badly wrong. Wastage in generation is less than 1%, and if 40% is wasted in transmission then you need to get yourself some new transformers (which have a similar wastage - about 1%) because they aren't working at all.

Lead batteries are subject to the most comprehensive recycling processes in the world. The second cell is the lithium button cell - what you have in your TV remote. Not precisely the most widespread thing in the world... if you're talking about hybrid batteries, then you want to be looking at nickel-manganese. Manganese is pretty well harmless, can't say the same for nickel.

Hydrogen-fuelled cells are fairly impractical right now. Where and how are you going to get the hydrogen? The only viable solution is wind-powered electrolysis, but then you have to get round the storage (you can't store a fuel as gas, and hydrogen doesn't liquefy 'til a few degrees about absolute zero) and transportation (ever seen a demonstration of a hydrogen gas bomb? Burning enough hydrogen to produce one drop of water will blow up anything in the closest proximity and produce a noise louder than a gunshot - put it this way. we had to stand 40m back so we didn't get by shrapnel from the container). Plus, if you had that much windpower, wouldn't it be more practical just to use it as power, not as a fuel source? The less energy transformations you have, the better.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6793|PNW

Spark wrote:

That's pretty badly wrong. Wastage in generation is less than 1%, and if 40% is wasted in transmission then you need to get yourself some new transformers (which have a similar wastage - about 1%) because they aren't working at all.

Lead batteries are subject to the most comprehensive recycling processes in the world. The second cell is the lithium button cell - what you have in your TV remote. Not precisely the most widespread thing in the world... if you're talking about hybrid batteries, then you want to be looking at nickel-manganese. Manganese is pretty well harmless, can't say the same for nickel.

Hydrogen-fuelled cells are fairly impractical right now. Where and how are you going to get the hydrogen? The only viable solution is wind-powered electrolysis, but then you have to get round the storage (you can't store a fuel as gas, and hydrogen doesn't liquefy 'til a few degrees about absolute zero) and transportation (ever seen a demonstration of a hydrogen gas bomb? Burning enough hydrogen to produce one drop of water will blow up anything in the closest proximity and produce a noise louder than a gunshot - put it this way. we had to stand 40m back so we didn't get by shrapnel from the container). Plus, if you had that much windpower, wouldn't it be more practical just to use it as power, not as a fuel source? The less energy transformations you have, the better.
The environmentalist movement won't stop until antimatter-powered iPods erase the galaxy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6127|eXtreme to the maX

Harmor wrote:

Honestly Hydrogen-fuel celled vehicles would had been best, but Obama killed funding for that.
Hydrogen fuelled vehicles are about the stupidest idea imaginable.
Trying to use the least dense fuel available, with no usable storage mechanism, efficient production process or transportation method has to be a Detroit joke.

Electric cars work, the infrastructure is there, no new technology is required.
Maybe this is the problem.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6521|so randum

Dilbert_X wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Trying to use the least dense fuel available, with no usable storage mechanism, efficient production process or transportation method has to be a Detroit joke.

Not really.

leccy cars are fine and all, but that just means a switch from burning oil in your car, to burning oil/coal at some plant.

the technology for hydrogen is half here, just needs more funding to be commercial. only emission water? mpg through the roof? range of more than 150mi (easy)?

Yes please.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6602|SE London

Dilbert_X wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Not at all. Hydrocarbons are amongst the best ways of powering stuff, if you don't want carbon emissions you need to take the carbon out of the equation. That leaves you with hydrogen.

Hydrogen fuel cells (which seem like a perfectly usable storage mechanism to me) work. They work better than current electric cells. Which is why the Honda Clarity looks so much better than any current electric cars. 134HP, 280 mile range, easily refuelable (although they only have hydrogen available at the pumps in California, so it will only initially be sold there).
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6702|Disaster Free Zone

FatherTed wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Not really.

leccy cars are fine and all, but that just means a switch from burning oil in your car, to burning oil/coal at some plant.

the technology for hydrogen is half here, just needs more funding to be commercial. only emission water? mpg through the roof? range of more than 150mi (easy)?

Yes please.
You need to use electricity to extract the hydrogen from (usually) water.

They are both electric cars, one just uses batteries which you need to charge and store in the car (extra weight, about 500Kg), the other uses fuel (hydrogen) to create the electricity needed in the car. From an environmental stand point they are pretty similar, one has a few extra conversions (ie small losses of energy), while the other has batteries which are potentially an environmental hazard.

The major benefit I see in Hydrogen cars is the fact you don't need to spend hours charging your car (something millions of people wont be able to do), but just like now (with petrol) just go to a local service station and fill up. There other small benefits like if there is a blackout, a hydrogen car could be used to power your house, while a battery one wont be able to be charged so you wont make it to work the following day so lose your job and then get depressed and commit suicide.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6602|SE London

DrunkFace wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Not really.

Yes please.
You need to use electricity to extract the hydrogen from (usually) water.
I thought it typically came from natural gas, because the efficiency is so much higher. This does emit CO2 (you're looking at a bit less than half the emissions you would get from a highly efficient hydrocarbon fuelled car, to produce the amount of fuel that will do the same work).

DrunkFace wrote:

They are both electric cars, one just uses batteries which you need to charge and store in the car (extra weight, about 500Kg), the other uses fuel (hydrogen) to create the electricity needed in the car. From an environmental stand point they are pretty similar, one has a few extra conversions (ie small losses of energy), while the other has batteries which are potentially an environmental hazard.
With electric cars you need to consider where the power comes from if looking at it from an environmental perspective. Most electrical power in countries like the US comes from hydrocarbons anyway, so how much CO2 do you save being emitted? None. That's how much. An IC engine is a more efficient way of extracting power from hydrocarbon fuels than converting it into electricity, pumping it out over power lines and then charging a battery and running off that.

DrunkFace wrote:

The major benefit I see in Hydrogen cars is the fact you don't need to spend hours charging your car (something millions of people wont be able to do), but just like now (with petrol) just go to a local service station and fill up. There other small benefits like if there is a blackout, a hydrogen car could be used to power your house, while a battery one wont be able to be charged so you wont make it to work the following day so lose your job and then get depressed and commit suicide.
Damn straight. That's why hydrogen cars could work and electric cars couldn't (currently). For a start the strain the national power grids if everyone had electric cars would be immense. The infrastructure simply isn't there.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-05-21 11:35:42)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6432|'Murka

stryyker wrote:

Good thing everyone will switch to Diesel and bypass the whole thing
Diesel is made from oil.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6782

FatherTed wrote:

Good stuff. That oil stuff we all love isn't infinite ya' know.
wow a whole .5 extra mpg than what was already proposed.  stop the presses.
13rin
+977|6500

m3thod wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

He has penis issues.
Wow great retorts. 

Yes I am seriously USA #1 and wtf part?  The only thing that bothers me is that we (my country) go to foreigners to get das crude.

Penis issues -not really other than wanting to smack you upside the face with mine.
We're the greatest. We're number one.  Suck it.  I like to consume.  I want to spend.  I am a badass.  My guns are bigger than yours.  I'm gay.  We own the world.  We're gratititious fucks.  Our cars own.  Hate me.  But you want me.  We angels in disguse.  We liberated Iraq.  We love penis.  Dont envy me.  I want to smoke if i want too.  You want to be like me.  You want my man boobs.  You want to live here.  I'm in a secret society. Yeah baby.  I want oil.  We eat the most food.  We drink the most beer.    We fuck like rabbits.  You're jealous.  U. G. L. Y. You ain't got no alibi. 

Ha. Just saw this.  I've been on vacation.  Funny coming from a guy who's country has no guns, helped us liberate Iraq, likes to drink, fuck, you're obviously gay with envy!
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
13rin
+977|6500

usmarine wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

We've got more than the ME in shale.  Dirty little secret.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6692|UK

DBBrinson1 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Wow great retorts. 

Yes I am seriously USA #1 and wtf part?  The only thing that bothers me is that we (my country) go to foreigners to get das crude.

Penis issues -not really other than wanting to smack you upside the face with mine.
We're the greatest. We're number one.  Suck it.  I like to consume.  I want to spend.  I am a badass.  My guns are bigger than yours.  I'm gay.  We own the world.  We're gratititious fucks.  Our cars own.  Hate me.  But you want me.  We angels in disguse.  We liberated Iraq.  We love penis.  Dont envy me.  I want to smoke if i want too.  You want to be like me.  You want my man boobs.  You want to live here.  I'm in a secret society. Yeah baby.  I want oil.  We eat the most food.  We drink the most beer.    We fuck like rabbits.  You're jealous.  U. G. L. Y. You ain't got no alibi. 

Ha. Just saw this.  I've been on vacation.  Funny coming from a guy who's country has no guns, helped us liberate Iraq, likes to drink, fuck, you're obviously gay with envy!
I like the fact my country doesn't have guns it means our gun related crime is low.  Blair helped you muppets liberate Iraq, my country was largely against it.  I drink once a year if that (not good not musclar hypertrophy).  And who doesn't like fucking?!!

I did a copy cat post as the orginal was retarded.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6426|North Carolina

DBBrinson1 wrote:

usmarine wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

The problem with relying on the Bakken Formation for oil is that it's like the oil in Alberta -- it's much more expensive and complicated to extract than what's in places like Saudi Arabia.

Until other sources of oil become scarce enough to make oil shale extraction cost effective, we'll likely remain dependent on foreign oil (even if we increase domestic drilling in other areas).  This is why the push for alternatives is the most cost effective move in the long run.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6692|UK

DBBrinson1 wrote:

usmarine wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Lots of problems with the extraction of shale oil.  Can't remember where i read it but i think you need 5 barrels of water to produce 1 barrel of shale oil.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6782

obama and his taxes bullshit is making me sick.  remember he claimed “taxes will not go up for 95% of Americans?”  well that is true only if you don’t drink or smoke… or drive… or eat… or live somewhere.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6642|London, England
Fusion power (ok, Fission/wind/hydro/solar/bio) to generate electricity for hydrogen production

Then it's just a matter of converting from a gasoline based economy into a hydrogen economy, of which in terms of the outward apperance are quite similar

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Hydrogen.economy.sys_integration_circle.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_economy
Spark
+874|6696|Canberra, AUS

Mekstizzle wrote:

Fusion power (ok, Fission/wind/hydro/solar/bio) to generate electricity for hydrogen production

Then it's just a matter of converting from a gasoline based economy into a hydrogen economy, of which in terms of the outward apperance are quite similar

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … circle.jpg

Apart from being 20 years away...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6127|eXtreme to the maX
Electric cars can make use of overnight electriciticy production - when the grid is underutilised, also keeps power stations running at higher efficiency when they would otherwise just be ticking over.

Hydrogen is not simple to store, there are efficiency costs in compressing and cooling it.
Its definitely not as simple as electrolyse water, store hydrogen, run through fuel cell, use electricity to drive car. There are big efficiency losses and technological leaps still to be made.

Hydrogen from natural gas is not a long term option - its substantially less efficient than just burning the gas in a standard IC engine - although potentially the CO2 could be captured and stored, not that we have a viable storage technology on the horizon for that either.
It is being used currently as a stepping stone to kickstart the hydrogen economy, not as a solution by itself.

If hydrogen really is going to be the solution it still needs to be made by some means and transported to the consumer.
The energy density is relatively low so its unlikely it would be transported significantly. More likely it would be electrolysed locally, relying on electricity from conventional or nuclear plants.
I still don't see the reason to move away from electric, except for high duty vehicles. Most people manage to keep their cellphones charged, a bit of consumer retraining is required, thats all.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-05-23 06:34:03)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Spark wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

That's your big excuse? It'll take a long time to develop so lets just not do it.
We have most of the technology already, we have hydrogen powered bikes, cars and submarines and hydrogen fuel stations in California and I think Sweden.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Dilbert_X wrote:

I still don't see the reason to move away from electric, except for high duty vehicles. Most people manage to keep their cellphones charged, a bit of consumer retraining is required, thats all.
I don't park my phone across the street.
Spark
+874|6696|Canberra, AUS

DrunkFace wrote:

Spark wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

That's your big excuse? It'll take a long time to develop so lets just not do it.
We have most of the technology already, we have hydrogen powered bikes, cars and submarines and hydrogen fuel stations in California and I think Sweden.
Again. Hydrogen is supremely expensive and supremely difficult to store/transport.

The amount of energy you need to GET hydrogen nullifies much of its benefits - never mind that a car crash turns into the Hindenburg Lite.

Be sensible. Solar, wind, nuclear, geothermal. Natural gas for cars or electric cars.
~ Richard Feynman
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6521|so randum

Dilbert_X wrote:

Electric cars can make use of overnight electriciticy production - when the grid is underutilised, also keeps power stations running at higher efficiency when they would otherwise just be ticking over.

Hydrogen is not simple to store, there are efficiency costs in compressing and cooling it.
Its definitely not as simple as electrolyse water, store hydrogen, run through fuel cell, use electricity to drive car. There are big efficiency losses and technological leaps still to be made.

Hydrogen from natural gas is not a long term option - its substantially less efficient than just burning the gas in a standard IC engine - although potentially the CO2 could be captured and stored, not that we have a viable storage technology on the horizon for that either.
It is being used currently as a stepping stone to kickstart the hydrogen economy, not as a solution by itself.

If hydrogen really is going to be the solution it still needs to be made by some means and transported to the consumer.
The energy density is relatively low so its unlikely it would be transported significantly. More likely it would be electrolysed locally, relying on electricity from conventional or nuclear plants.
resevring this for when im sober enough to answer
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

Spark wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Spark wrote:

Again. Hydrogen is supremely expensive and supremely difficult to store/transport.

The amount of energy you need to GET hydrogen nullifies much of its benefits - never mind that a car crash turns into the Hindenburg Lite.

Be sensible. Solar, wind, nuclear, geothermal. Natural gas for cars or electric cars.
Electric (battery) cars wont work as I have pointed out in a million treads so far, no matter how much you or other people say it, I still park my car (as do millions apon millions of other people) on the street, across the road or some other place taking a power cord would inconvenience me, the neighbours and any pedestrians or motorists who happen to come by. So unless you propose to put a power outlet every 10 feet or so on both sides of every road in the world then that idea can go proverbially fuck it self.
Natural Gas is hardly any better then oil and it is still a finite resource which will run out sooner or later.
Spark
+874|6696|Canberra, AUS

DrunkFace wrote:

Spark wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Electric (battery) cars wont work as I have pointed out in a million treads so far, no matter how much you or other people say it, I still park my car (as do millions apon millions of other people) on the street, across the road or some other place taking a power cord would inconvenience me, the neighbours and any pedestrians or motorists who happen to come by. So unless you propose to put a power outlet every 10 feet or so on both sides of every road in the world then that idea can go proverbially fuck it self.
Natural Gas is hardly any better then oil and it is still a finite resource which will run out sooner or later.
Natural gas is MUCH better than oil. Gives you a higher energy yield for less carbon (better H:C ratio) - I don't know the figures right now, but they're pretty easy to work out.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard