Microwave
_
+515|6665|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
I have a Creative X-Fi sound card which has worked fine since I bought it. Recently, when I boot up Windows brings up the "found new hardware" wizard for my sound card. As if my drivers aren't installed, even though they are.
(The sound card shows up in device manager).

However, after (a seemingly [I can't work out a pattern] random number of) restarts it will work again as normal, no error message, nothing changed.

It it possible that overclocking has something to do with this? As I know there's an option in the BIOS to do with PCI frequency which is set to auto.

Thanks guys
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6207|Winland

Is your computer stable?
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6463|The Twilight Zone
I could be OCed RAM
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

You don't want the PCI freq lock set to auto, you want it on 100.

ghettoperson wrote:

y is that?
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6702|England

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

y is that?
Causes all sorts of problems, most common is data corruption on the HDD. Can also kill hardware if abused, iirc.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6463|The Twilight Zone
important thing to remember is not to go over 101
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

If you leave it on Auto it can 'overclock' your PCI slots. Which I'm told is a Very Bad Thing.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6424|Finland

All modern motherboards should have locked PCI and PCI-E frequencies as default (AUTO).

Reinstall the drivers. If you can, try the sound card in different slot as well.

And do memtest, LinX testing to find out how stable your OC really is atm.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-05-05 14:34:07)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Microwave
_

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Is your computer stable?
Yeah. Quite high volts but stable.

.Sup wrote:

I could be OCed RAM
The RAM is at stock.

ghettoperson wrote:

Ok, I'll try that cheers.

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Reinstall the drivers. If you can, try the sound card in different slot as well.
Tried reinstalling the drivers. If I put the card in a different slot it doesn't work at all which is strange because it's the slot I've had it in for the past year. (For some reason now it only works in the other slot, but not all the time - my problem).

Thanks for all the replies so far
CrazeD
+368|6683|Maine
Some motherboard also have the option to lock the PCI bus (mine has this) so make sure that is on. Other boards have options to unsync from FSB, or to set your own speed. The default speed should be 100 and it should not move from that. You can easily corrupt data on your hard drive or fry every other piece of hardware connect to the board if the PCI bus goes too high.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6577|NYC / Hamburg

Default PCI speed is 33.33MHz. PCIe has a 100MHz speed
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
CrazeD
+368|6683|Maine

max wrote:

Default PCI speed is 33.33MHz. PCIe has a 100MHz speed
EDIT: Damn internet.

You're right, my bad.

Last edited by CrazeD (2009-05-05 16:48:51)

Microwave
_
Tried setting it to 100 and still the same problem.

After I did that / reinstall the drivers / re-seat the card it works fine after it boots. But the next time I boot it up after that I get the same problem...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard