Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5835|College Park, MD
Should I do ROTC in college? Or just get my degree and then join the military and do Officer Candidate's School? Anyone on here have experience with either option?

I myself think I may want to do OCS, mainly because I'm only a permanent resident right now. I graduate in like June 2013, but I won't be able to apply for citizenship till March 2013. I have a feeling that the naturalization process takes far longer than 3 months. And doesn't one have to be eligible to be an officer when they enroll in the final two years of ROTC (since you sign the line)?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6316|Ireland
Get your degree and then go to OCS.  In 3-6 years you might not want to be a part of this country's military.  I would wait and see what Obama and the Dems do with the Military.  You might find yourself fighting under the command of another country like Clinton did, hell with Obama you might find that all the military is doing is humanitarian missions all over Africa delivering food to towns and not allowed to defend themselves against attackers.  Liberals are good at creating political missions and using our soldiers as cannon fodder.  Actually Bush was pretty good at it too.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a President since Regan that used our military for national defense vs political B.S..  Clinton is what made me get out of the military.  Him with his Gay's in the Military and shutting down funding for the military and seeing him deploy troops everywhere in the world for purely political missions with complete disreguard for giving our soldiers a true mission or the ability to achieve a mission.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6633|so randum
humanitarian work isn't exactly a bad cause...
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ioan92
+337|5856
Don't support the military, its a waste.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Ioan92 wrote:

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like it's a sort of calling for me. I know that you have to put up with a lot of shit, but I know that it can also be a very rewarding experience. Plus as an immigrant to this country, I feel like I should give back to a place that has given me a lot. I don't think I would have had half the opportunities I have now back in Argentina.
HellHead
The fantastic Mr. Antichrist
+336|6842|Germany
Do yourself and your future fellow soldiers a favor and do some enlisted time first.
Then you can always go "green to gold" (Army that is)
Leading soldiers is one thing, being a soldier first, makes you understand your job as officer much better later.
Esspecially if you go for a combat arms MOS.

Last edited by HellHead (2009-05-04 10:16:06)

Ioan92
+337|5856

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like it's a sort of calling for me. I know that you have to put up with a lot of shit, but I know that it can also be a very rewarding experience. Plus as an immigrant to this country, I feel like I should give back to a place that has given me a lot. I don't think I would have had half the opportunities I have now back in Argentina.
I'm pretty sure there are better ways to give back. I don't know about rewarding experiences, I read that a lot of veterans have post traumatic stress and that 50% of the homeless population in America are veterans. And that the number is growing.

Please man, think about it.
lilbaily2
+12|6775|OH
Heres what you should do....Join the National Guard as enlisted...go to school which they pay 100%, plus they pay you to go to school and weekend drill... get your time in as enlisted then once you graduate college go to OCS.  Trust me you will get alot more respect knowing the job first before telling someone how to do it

Go 11B, the blue chord is worth it
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6756|EU

For an army it would be better if you join it as early as possible so you dont have your own opinion or view of sight on most of problems and they can easier remake you their own way (kinda brainwashing). On the other hand, while you are studying there is a hypothesis that you get smarter or get another opinion on whole situation ( ) and so you might not wanna join military when you are at age 23. If you know what I mean.

I would suggest you to wait a bit. You will have plenty of time and opportunities to join the military all the time, but not that much to freely leave it.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

lilbaily2 wrote:

Heres what you should do....Join the National Guard as enlisted...go to school which they pay 100%, plus they pay you to go to school and weekend drill... get your time in as enlisted then once you graduate college go to OCS.  Trust me you will get alot more respect knowing the job first before telling someone how to do it

Can I join the California Army NG even though my state of residence is Maryland? I'm going to school in Cali, but I'm not gonna be a resident of the state y'know.
lilbaily2
+12|6775|OH
Yes you can you just need to contact a recruiter in California...I know right now they are offering up to 30k bonuses, which you will receive half of after you graduate basic training, then the other half is split up every year that is left on your contract...
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6626|N. Ireland

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

You Argentinean?

Last edited by kylef (2009-05-04 11:10:28)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

kylef wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

You Argentinean?
Eh, born there. My lineage ultimately leads back to Europe, but one half of me comes from Canada and the other from Chile.
spasticus5
A TEN! A TEN!
+9|6331|San Clemente(best city ever)
what school in cali?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
Santa Clara
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|6069

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Get your degree and then go to OCS.  In 3-6 years you might not want to be a part of this country's military.  I would wait and see what Obama and the Dems do with the Military.
Same, I was all hyped about joining the U.S. Marines, now I'm not so sure with Obama in charge of the most powerful military. I think he's gona fuck up.
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6327|Schofield Barracks

lilbaily2 wrote:

Alot of the seniors in JROTC are going to to NG. Im pretty sure they pay for classes they want you to take. My plan was original. Finish high school -> ROTC in collage -> Go into the Army as an officer. But i do see that i would like to have been lead and have experience before i am some type of leader.

Last edited by MAGUIRE93 (2009-05-04 12:21:08)

lilbaily2
+12|6775|OH
If you go to Ft.Benning or Fort Knox let me know when.  I am a reserve drill sergeant now and might have to stop in and drop you a few times
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6853|California

Unless we go to war with Iran, I wouldn't look forward to military service for the next few years.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6671|Long Island, New York
Do ROTC. That's what I'm doing if I go to Pace or AU.

Plus, it'll give you a feeling of how the military is like (although at a lower level) to see if you really want to go in.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Poseidon wrote:

Do ROTC. That's what I'm doing if I go to Pace or AU.

Plus, it'll give you a feeling of how the military is like (although at a lower level) to see if you really want to go in.
I'm definitely doing the first two years (where you don't sign any lines).

I'm also considering the Air Force as well...
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6773|Your moms bedroom
Here is the route my friend took and he is pondering the same as you

He graduated highschool in 99' Joined the national gaurd at 18 bounced around between community colleges and state college applied for financial aid as a military student( Thanks to Bill Clinton, and got financial assistance). Got a regular job working security at a hospital and tried to continue his education but fought like hell to get financial aid with Bush) till 28(still in gaurd). Decided to volunteer to go to Afghanistan more than part time (got his wish). Now that he is back, 29 years old and is wondering if he should go to Officer Candidate School, join the military for another 10 years and draw a full pension while making his way to a knowlegable and respectable LT

with the miltary only you can decide what you want to do, but if your like my friend, you can drag it out for another 10 years

Last edited by Locoloki (2009-05-04 14:17:05)

Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6316|Ireland

lilbaily2 wrote:

If you go to Ft.Benning or Fort Knox let me know when.  I am a reserve drill sergeant now and might have to stop in and drop you a few times
wtf is a reserve drill sergeant?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6601

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Santa Clara
Holy shit my dad went there.

Also I wouldn't do the military unless you seriously need the money. It will consume a good portion of your young life, and you might actually get deployed to Afghanistan.
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5744|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
Coast Guard, I know one of the most successful West Coast recruiters, he's my friend's dad. He is Bill Bulman, works out of San Jose I think.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard