xstax981
Community Modder
+93|6679
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro … tml?via=mr

Now I'm a Non-denominational Christian, and I still believe in free speech. They're thinking of imposing a fine of up to €100,000 for "publish[ing] or utter[ing] blasphemous matter"

Discuss
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6408|North Carolina
Wow...  What is it with Europe these days?  First, you've got the Netherlands and the U.K. bending over backwards to keep from offending Muslims, and now, you've got Ireland attempting to ban criticism of Christianity.

Hello Middle Ages.
Zefar
+116|6653|Sweden
Oh god >.> They really need to change the people who are in charge of those higher things.

I still can't believe how easy Muslims have to get in their sick laws. Not to mention EU was going to add a law which made it illegal to criticise Islam and it was punished by JAIL. JAIL FFS. Just for speaking the truth and you are fucking jailed.

I think they are still thinking on the matter but good lord I hope they don't apply that one.

Why can't we just stop pleasing the Muslims? >.>
Turquoise
O Canada
It's not just Muslims though.  Apparently, in Ireland, the Catholics have a stick up their ass.
Lai
+186|6154
I am afraid the Russians are our only hope (again!).

Ideally they'll find missing Romanov heir, Russia teams up with Greece and the Balkan to kick Turkey out of Europe, they'll rename Istanbul back to Constantinople,.. voila Byzantium FTW!
BVC
+325|6699
Any religious talk is blasphemy against atheism.
Turquoise
O Canada

Pubic wrote:

Any religious talk is blasphemy against atheism.
heh heh..  I like it. 
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6448|The Land of Scott Walker
Silly
Ottomania
Troll has returned.
+62|6525|Istanbul-Turkey

Lai wrote:

Ideally they'll find missing Romanov heir, Russia teams up with Greece and the Balkan to kick Turkey out of Europe, they'll rename Istanbul back to Constantinople,.. voila Byzantium FTW!
in your dreams.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5753|شمال

Ottomania wrote:

Lai wrote:

in your dreams.
lol
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6668|NT, like Mick Dundee

Still don't understand why Israel and Turkey are considered European...

They aren't Middle Eastern but they definitely aren't in Europe.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Lai
+186|6154

Flecco wrote:

Still don't understand why Israel Phoenicia and TurkeyThrace, Ionia, Phrygia and Capadocia are considered European...

They aren't Middle Eastern but they definitely aren't in Europe.
Seriously though there are several definitions of Europe:

1. (Contemporary) Economic-political, started off quite small, but is expanding rapidly.
2. Geographical, extends from Ireland in the West to the Bosphorus in the South-East and the Ural in the North-East
3. (Narrow) Historic, all territories that participated in typical (post renaissance) European cultural history, this includes about everything North of the Mediterenean, including Russia (and perhaps pre-independence America), excluding Ottoman territories.
4. (Broad) Historic, the typical European cultural interaction zone since classical time, this includes the entire mediterenean, including (East-) North Africa, and the Caucasus.

These definitions overlap between each other and with other definitions. I think, that is what is causing the confusion. In my opinion this could be solved by better defining what we mean and not clustering peoples or nation by means of some idea concept like "Europe" but rather by real "cultural spheres". It is much more sensible to speak of Mediterenean or Scandinavian than of European. Imo, the geographical concept of Europe should be ditched alltogether since it really does not tell you anything.

Edit: Please bear in mind that untill well into the 1920's the vast majority of Constantinopolitans/Istanbulis was Christian. since then those people have not converted, but rather been outnumbered by vast numbers of East Empire (Ottoman Empire I mean) immigrants, attracted by the booming city. Also Turkish people are, well (Turkish) Asian (not the British definition of the word), not (Near Eastern) Arab or Persian and a lot will have mingled with the indigenous population (real full scale migration and replacement of peoples is a lie). In the case of Israel; while Jews are of semitic origin the present state of Israel, except for Palestinians, consists entirely of immigrants with a typical European background. I was at a birthday party the other day and this girl pointed out to me that modern Hebrew (only modern though) is by some even considered to be a Slavic language due to the grammar. I strongly dissagreed, but that's not the point.

Last edited by Lai (2009-06-28 15:22:44)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard