:blacKOut:
Shevchenkooooo
+42|6264|'Merica
July 20th

Can you guys recommend me some games to download/ buy and play on my laptop?

Intel Core 2 Duo    T6400 2.0G
Memory Size          4GB
Graphics Card         Intel GMA 4500MHD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834146542

I'm not expecting CoD5 or GTAIV since my specs aren't amazing at all but I want a slow-paced game, preferably single player and a non-shooter because I don't like playing those games on my laptop, maybe like roller coaster tycoon?

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not July 20th

I want one.  I need one.

I'm going to college in about 2 months and I need a laptop.  I've been doing a little research for a laptop but nothing that big.
Right now, I'm leaning towards a mac even though I'm a windows user ( I do have some experience with macs though.  Graphic Design Class, I suck at it but like it).
I want a good laptop that will last me for a while.  I'm gonna use it mainly for work (papers, projects, etc...) and other random stuff, like some form of photoshop hopefully, but not really gaming.
I would like the max price to be around 2000$, maybe even 1500$.  But if you wanna post a laptop around 2000$, do it, so I can just look at it.
I just want to get your perspective on what you think the best laptops are at the price range.
Also, if you have the laptop your posting, just tell me how you like it and all that good stuff.

Thanks. 

-KO

Last edited by :blacKOut: (2009-07-20 19:49:07)

bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6310

inb4mostpeoplesaylenovo

Lenovo R500 with 2.8GHz processor, 4GB of RAM, a 9 cell battery, and a 7200RPM hard drive.
CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine

ebug9 wrote:

inb4mostpeoplesaylenovo

Lenovo R500 with 2.8GHz processor, 4GB of RAM, a 9 cell battery, and a 7200RPM hard drive.
I was going to say an Asus, actually.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6195|Winland

Get the first Lenovo that fits in your budget. They're the only decent manufacturer these days
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

Lenovo, they have the best build quality and awesome keyboards

infact:

ebug9 wrote:

I have a R500 with a 2.26GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 12 cell and a 128GB SSD. So yeah ...

Last edited by max (2009-04-29 04:13:12)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
I have a Sony Vaio, Black Macbook and a Macbook Air and can safely say the Macbook is the best laptop I've used. Mega top-spec machines don't really matter, especially when OSX runs smoothly on ridiculously low-specs for all intensive purposes anyway. Get a 2.4Ghz Macbook with 2-4Gb of RAM and you'll never look for anything else in the laptop category. Trust.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6595|Seattle

Uzique wrote:

I have a Sony Vaio, Black Macbook and a Macbook Air and can safely say the Macbook is the best laptop I've used. Mega top-spec machines don't really matter, especially when OSX runs smoothly on ridiculously low-specs for all intensive purposes anyway. Get a 2.4Ghz Macbook with 2-4Gb of RAM and you'll never look for anything else in the laptop category. Trust.
Perfect except for the fact that it's a mac

/Bias
//Microsoft won the race
///Mac's are a waste of money
////There's nothing a mac CAN do that a PC can't
/////prove me wrong, I dare you!!
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468

King_County_Downy wrote:

Uzique wrote:

/Bias
//Microsoft won the race
It's not about capabilities, what can do what and what can't... it's about matching a machine and buying a product that serves your needs. I don't care about the shit a Windows OS can do when Macbooks have cross-platform Windows support on their Intel-core machines anyway, nor do I want to buy a shitty bloated Windows laptop (e.g. my Vaio) when I have a high-spec Windows desktop PC next to me all day. If he wants a laptop, has the budget for a Mac, likes OSX and is leaning towards a Mac... get a Macbook. Arguing that it can't play Crysis or some shit is just completely missing the point; a 2Gb mid-spec Macbook will perform on the OSX platform just as snappily and smoothly as a premium-price Windows laptop. Sad but true. For everything else and for the ultra-spec laptops, well, ask yourself why they're really useful? Are you ever going to be doing serious gaming whilst on the move or out in a public place? I use a laptop for typing/work and music/DJ'ing and some occasional design. Enter Mac. Sit down Windows with your useless 'advantages' and 'unique features'.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-04-29 08:37:11)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Shevchenkooooo
+42|6264|'Merica
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468

:blacKOut: wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100043

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834100040

Anyone have either of them?  If so, how do ya like them?
I have a Black Macbook 2.4Ghz, 4GB DDR2 which is price-equivalent to the new unibody Macbook that you linked... it is blisteringly fast, never has any slowdowns and will cope with OSX and all the software demands you throw at it just fine. Faster and more responsive than Windows at almost everything- the bonus DDR3 memory and Nvidia graphics card with the new Unibody Macbooks will just make this even better. The Macbook Pro is another serious piece of kit, but I wouldn't advise buying one unless you really are going to be pushing your laptop-use into real creative-design / music production or perhaps even mobile gaming applications. Bear in mind, when it comes to $2,000 laptops and 'gaming', go for the above-linked Windows laptops, not the MB Pro. Having said that, the standard Macbooks and MB Pro's will perform very well and won't let you down for anything. As said above I use mine for journalism-writing, some creative design using Adobe and laptop DJ'ing- all quite intensive and demanding processes - and I barely even have to think about whether or not my system is handling it well and responding fast enough. You click it, it does it. Very nice to have the 'Windows-worries' gone from the back of your mind.
Shevchenkooooo
+42|6264|'Merica

Uzique wrote:

:blacKOut: wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100043

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834100040

Anyone have either of them?  If so, how do ya like them?
I have a Black Macbook 2.4Ghz, 4GB DDR2 which is price-equivalent to the new unibody Macbook that you linked... it is blisteringly fast, never has any slowdowns and will cope with OSX and all the software demands you throw at it just fine. Faster and more responsive than Windows at almost everything- the bonus DDR3 memory and Nvidia graphics card with the new Unibody Macbooks will just make this even better. The Macbook Pro is another serious piece of kit, but I wouldn't advise buying one unless you really are going to be pushing your laptop-use into real creative-design / music production or perhaps even mobile gaming applications. Bear in mind, when it comes to $2,000 laptops and 'gaming', go for the above-linked Windows laptops, not the MB Pro. Having said that, the standard Macbooks and MB Pro's will perform very well and won't let you down for anything. As said above I use mine for journalism-writing, some creative design using Adobe and laptop DJ'ing- all quite intensive and demanding processes - and I barely even have to think about whether or not my system is handling it well and responding fast enough. You click it, it does it. Very nice to have the 'Windows-worries' gone from the back of your mind.
Yeah, im hoping ill be able to get the 1600$ one because the pro is too much money.  Im just worried about the 13.3 inch screen.  it seems small but all the reviews i've read said that they didn't mind it.  And isnt upgrading to 4gb of ram rather cheap because i will probably do that.
Shevchenkooooo
+42|6264|'Merica
Sony Vaio FW Series VGN-FW373J/B NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8600(2.40GHz) 16.4" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, anyone?  I am probably gonna get this one.  Any thoughts/ pros or cons you have about this laptop?  Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834117857
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6195|Winland

Sony has been known to have quite lacking quality of their laptops. I'd go Lenovo, such as the T500. It doesn't offer much in the gaming department, but it's a machine that'll last for a decade and more.

I have first-hand experience with one, and they're impressive. My mates got stepped on on the underside without even a scratch. Keyboard is wonderful, too. Only downside of this one is the quite lo-res screen.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-06-07 09:02:54)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
xxCaptainBlackxx
♥♦♣♠♥♦♣
+47|6642|internet
Check out MSI G-series!
I own 2 its awesome laptop at good price!

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodp … at2_no=271
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6195|Winland

xxCaptainBlackxx wrote:

MSI
No.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6630

Freezer7Pro wrote:

xxCaptainBlackxx wrote:

MSI
No.
Yes
Benzin
+576|5997
I've used a 13" Macbook, I didn't like the screen. Too small, but then I am used to a larger screen. I have a netbook and the small screen is fine. But the 13" screen on a larger laptop doesn't cut it.

I say go with the Lenovos. Those things are tanks. You do have to try pretty hard to kill them. A friend of mine took hers through all of southeast Asia and India (and not in the most comfy environments) and it died after about ... what? 5 years? I think. And only because the HDD took a shit on her. Other than that, the rest of the machine worked fabulously.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6195|Winland

Gooners wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

xxCaptainBlackxx wrote:

MSI
No.
Yes
No. MSI is shittier than your mother's asshole.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-06-07 11:09:07)

Benzin
+576|5997
Blackout, I think what you need to do is go to your local electronics store that has a good spread of various designs. Check out the Apples, check out the ASUS models and so on and so forth. See what is up for sale. See what you're comfortable with using. Look at it this way: If you're going to be using it daily, it should also be comfortable.
Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6668|The Netherlands
Ok, instead of Lenovo, I'm going to say Toshiba (mine kicks ass)
Benzin
+576|5997
I personally like ASUS, too. They make really nice stuff. I got one of their F5 laptops for a friend of mine for like €750 and it came with 4GB of RAM, a 3650 (I think, maybe a 3850) ATI Radeon, 2.2 GHz Intel dual-core, 320GB HDD and Vista Home Premium. Pretty nice little thing. Card reader and built-in cam. Great machine. Would've been nice if it had come with 64-bit Vista, though, but other than that, no complaints.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6516|Montucky
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834220483

Good Asus Laptop.

Poor Battery Life. (whatyaexpect with a gaming laptop)
Benzin
+576|5997

S3v3N wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834220483

Good Asus Laptop.

Poor Battery Life. (whatyaexpect with a gaming laptop)
Well he's not exactly looking for gaming ...
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

How is HP Pavillion rated these days?

Was just about to buy one but now I might reconsider ... heard little or nothing about Lenovo tbh

And it is for gaming ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

King_County_Downy wrote:

Uzique wrote:

/Bias
//Microsoft won the race
Can your PC run Final Cut Pro and Logic?

Under an OFFICIAL OS.

Other than that, I completely agree - but if you want to do a lot of music stuff and video editing, Macs are better.

Varegg wrote:

How is HP Pavillion rated these days?

Was just about to buy one but now I might reconsider ... heard little or nothing about Lenovo tbh

And it is for gaming ...
HP are usually a pretty sound bet.

Lenovo are massive. You might recognise the ThinkPad name they got after acquiring IBM. Good quality, dunno how they'd be for gaming. I've never bought them with that in mind.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-06-08 06:00:21)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard