GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ
We just got a LCD 1080 i (or p idk) TV so we are shopping for Blu Ray players, I looked at newegg and it seems the price ranges are from like $130-$400 but I dont really get the differences...

were not looking for anything fancy, and we dont have a big audio system, just the TV (for now)

Any suggestions?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Get a ps3.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
GodFather
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ

AussieReaper wrote:

Get a ps3.
i herd they werent as good as a dedicated Blu ray player
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6313

GodFather wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Get a ps3.
Dark Knight looked fine to me when played on it. (connected via HDMI cable ofc)
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6198|Winland

You should just use a computer for HD playback until you've got a full-feathered setup. Perhaps spend that $300-400 on a HTPC alone later on. It's not only I who think it's tragic when people have all these nice TVs, but then only use those crappy little speakers they put in.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
GodFather
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ

ebug9 wrote:

GodFather wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Get a ps3.
I found this article on a google...

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/playstation … n-buy/5380
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6313

GodFather wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

GodFather wrote:

If you think you'll play PS3, then go ahead and get one. I think the quality's great for movies and games (viewed on a Samsung 32" 1080p TV).

On the other hand, BD players are really coming down in price so if you don't want to spend $400 (or whatever the PS3's hovering at right now) then a regular player is probably fine.

Last edited by ebug9 (2009-04-26 21:21:24)

GodFather
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ

Freezer7Pro wrote:

You should just use a computer for HD playback until you've got a full-feathered setup. Perhaps spend that $300-400 on a HTPC alone later on. It's not only I who think it's tragic when people have all these nice TVs, but then only use those crappy little speakers they put in.
Yeah, a speaker setup is probably going to come up soon, maybe...

I know what you mean with the Blu Rays sound quality I just have an Audigy card and the z5500's and the sound is still incredible

As far as the PC, its not really an option, we only have 2 computers here, one is mine which I dont feel like moving and the other is my parents which is a shit ass dell that my dad skimped on two years ago..

As for the HTPC, can you give me some more information on that? A product search turned up cases, can you build your own?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6313

GodFather wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I know what you mean with the Blu Rays sound quality I just have an Audigy card and the z5500's and the sound is still incredible

As far as the PC, its not really an option, we only have 2 computers here, one is mine which I dont feel like moving and the other is my parents which is a shit ass dell that my dad skimped on two years ago..

As for the HTPC, can you give me some more information on that? A product search turned up cases, can you build your own?
Home Theatre PC. Build your own with lots of storage and a dual core CPU for movies and TV shows.
GodFather
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ

GodFather wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

edit:

ebug9 wrote:

GodFather wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

If you think you'll play PS3, then go ahead and get one. I think the quality's great for movies and games (viewed on a Samsung 32" 1080p TV).

On the other hand, BD players are really coming down in price so if you don't want to spend $400 (or whatever the PS3's hovering at right now) then a regular player is probably fine.
The only thing I would play is a rockband game, which is another 100 bucks.... for any other games I play on my PC, which is already set up very nice with good speakers a great monitor and a G15 & G7...
Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6765
anything for a low end sound system? I was looking for one, hopefully a 5.1 or something but everything I see that seems like it's decent with three inputs [xbox 360, PS3, cable/dvr] seems to be extremely expensive
GodFather
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ

ebug9 wrote:

GodFather wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Home Theatre PC. Build your own with lots of storage and a dual core CPU for movies and TV shows.
And you run, what, Windows 7 or Vista or something? Like is it a regular O/S or something designed for the job? And then you use a monitor input on the tv?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6198|Winland

GodFather wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

GodFather wrote:

And you run, what, Windows 7 or Vista or something? Like is it a regular O/S or something designed for the job? And then you use a monitor input on the tv?
Basically, yes. Tends to be a nice option for optical players.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
GodFather
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GodFather wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

And that comes out to cost $400 how?

its like 150 for the O/S itself, and then another 150 for the BD player, and then 100 for the HDD and a few hundered for the GPU, and then you have RAM, PSU, and Mobo to worry about after that...
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6198|Winland

GodFather wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GodFather wrote:

its like 150 for the O/S itself, and then another 150 for the BD player, and then 100 for the HDD and a few hundered for the GPU, and then you have RAM, PSU, and Mobo to worry about after that...
Buy an OS

Parts will easily fit within $400. Computer stuff is cheap today.
GodFather
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GodFather wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Buy an OS

Parts will easily fit within $400. Computer stuff is cheap today.
I guess youd be shopping mid/low end?

What are the requirements for good Blu Ray playback and good audio ?

Like could you name some parts? (examples like 2.2GHz dual core,  etc.)

I might just do this

Last edited by GodFather (2009-04-27 01:36:35)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6198|Winland

An E2180 slightly OC'd should handle it fine, E5200 stock will do too. G31 mobo, 4GB RAM, some 320GB HD, lowest-end graphics card.
Benzin
+576|5999
If you want an HTPC, you could also look at the Ion machines coming out. Then you could also do some gaming on your HTPC. Those things are running about, what? $500? $600?

But what Freezer said - mid-range parts, and then a fuck-load of storage. Maybe set it up in RAID to protect the data? Then a wireless keyboard and a wifi card to let it hook up to the net ... mmmm ...
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6568|NYC / Hamburg

Or you can just pick up a second hand socket 939 system.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
GodFather
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ

Freezer7Pro wrote:

An E2180 slightly OC'd should handle it fine, E5200 stock will do too. G31 mobo, 4GB RAM, some 320GB HD, lowest-end graphics card.
That's crazy.

How low end? Would a 256MB 6800 (or maybe it's a 7800) work?
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6454|The Twilight Zone

AussieReaper wrote:

Get a ps3.
thats why I got mine for basically and GTA4
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6568|NYC / Hamburg

GodFather wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

That's crazy.

How low end? Would a 256MB 6800 (or maybe it's a 7800) work?
pretty much anything will work
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6550|UK

I have a panasonic BD30 aswell as a PS3.  Cant say I could tell the difference between them, more likely to be a lucky guess, although, remember a PS3 will consume a lot more energy running a Blu ray than a standalone player.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6640|Montreal, Qc, Canada
Just buy a PS3!
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6447|Amsterdam‫
LG  BD370
its <200 euro
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard