Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

imortal wrote:

This part is off topic, but is related.  In three sentances you established that you have no first hand experience on a subject, and then promptly contradict the established experts on the subjet (lots of experts in this circumstance, most of them with letters like PhD behind their name) based soley on your own assumtions.  As I said, slightly off topic, but it shows your mental processees.
We all have our views beside there are plenty of psychologist who think it's more about sex than control. Psychology is mostly theory. Hell I'm doing a psychology paper right now and just on the apa.org website you could find contradicting psychologist on a bunch of issues. You best not be calling me crazy.
You have NO first hand experiences on hunting, but you are constantly making (mostly incorrect) assumptions about the subject.  You impose your own moral judgements upon the activity you have no real information about, and refuse to accept or consider information by those who DO have first hand knowledge.
We all have our views on things, I'm sure you don't like gay sex even though you never tried it but you still have a good enough basic idea of dick into ass.
I am guessing you are a teenager.
You don't have to be a dick head. I bet you are a country red neck? See how annoying that is? Be civil. I am actually enjoying this discussion don't ruin it.

Finally have you found me a deer that can drive and lives in a house?

Last edited by Macbeth (2009-04-22 19:26:37)

imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

wah1188 wrote:

If it's for pest control or food I think it is perfectly acceptable.

Off topic - does meat you got from hunting taste better is it hard to prepare?
It tastes great.  Different; it can be an aquired taste.  I love antilope and deer.  I can take or leave rabbit.  Boar is pretty tough, but decent.  Best part about it is that it is a LOT less expensive than store bought meat.  Also, my wife likes the 'free range' aspect to it.  My wife and I also went in on 1/3 of a cow some family friends were slaughtering.  Lots and lots of beef!
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

I know a kiwi version of imortal tbh.

Used to go spearfishing with his sons for the most epic crayfish on the coast while staying with us.

That family does a decent bit of fishing and pig hunting while here in Aus, a lot of deer/grouse hunting and a bit of fishing while back in NZ. Eat almost everything they kill unless it's a pest they killed for environmental reasons. The NT has serious problems with wild pigs and buffalo.

@ Mcbeth

Just curious but how do you not see the difference between baiting and sitting in a hide and going to a shop, buying a rabbit, taking it home and killing it?

The rabbit never had a chance at all. It was controlled and caged the entire time. It's hardly a certainty that deer will take the bait, I've never been hunting for deer or pigs or anything personally but I know a few hunters and they don't always come back successful. Have been cray diving though and ffs, that's hardly unfair. Little bastards are very hard to get at, bloody spiky and even with a spear/spear-gun it's easy to ruin a spearhead or lose the projectile from the gun entirely.

Last edited by Flecco (2009-04-22 19:47:05)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

Macbeth wrote:

imortal wrote:

This part is off topic, but is related.  In three sentances you established that you have no first hand experience on a subject, and then promptly contradict the established experts on the subjet (lots of experts in this circumstance, most of them with letters like PhD behind their name) based soley on your own assumtions.  As I said, slightly off topic, but it shows your mental processees.
We all have our views beside there are plenty of psychologist who think it's more about sex than control. Psychology is mostly theory. Hell I'm doing a psychology paper right now and just on the apa.org website you could find contradicting psychologist on a bunch of issues. You best not be calling me crazy.
Nothing crazy about being determined in your beliefs.  However, most of those experts have shown that in a majority of rape cases, the rapist did not even climax.

Macbeth wrote:

You have NO first hand experiences on hunting, but you are constantly making (mostly incorrect) assumptions about the subject.  You impose your own moral judgements upon the activity you have no real information about, and refuse to accept or consider information by those who DO have first hand knowledge.
We all have our views on things, I'm sure you don't like gay sex even though you never tried it but you still have a good enough basic idea of dick into ass.
You are correct, I am not gay, and I do not personally like the idea of anal sex.  However, I do know several people who are gay and enjoy anal sex, and I can accept that their is nothing inherently wrong or incorrect with their enjoyment of it.  Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean I feel the need to vilify it.

Macbeth wrote:

I am guessing you are a teenager.
You don't have to be a dick head. I bet you are a country red neck? See how annoying that is? Be civil. I am actually enjoying this discussion don't ruin it.
I was noting your argument style.  Unwavering moral cetainty, polarization of viewpoints, hyper-critical... you are writing a psych paper, you said?  Surely you recognize the developmental psychological profile of a typical teenager!  Oh, and for the record, I am not a redneck.  most redneck friends I have would laugh at that.  I drive a japanese sedan.  I do not wear a hat or speak with a southern accent.  I have never lived outside of the city limits of a city greater than 50,000 people.  I do not listen to country music.  I already told you what I based my assumption on; on what did you base yours?

Macbeth wrote:

Finally have you found me a deer that can drive and lives in a house?
This is simply emphasizing hyperbole in an attempt to try to maintain a hold on the argument you have already lost.  You ask me to prove something that is obviously unprovable, in an attempt to distract me and everyone else away from your previous assumptions in the hope they will go unchallanged and thus become accepted.   Why would a hunter use a GPS for anything other than to keep from getting lost?  It will not help you find a deer.  Go ahead and lay out bait; if the deer senses you, you will NOT get a shot on them; they will be long gone.  A hunting dog is used in BIRD hunting, to point out where a bird is hiding in the bush, and to retrieve the bird if it falls.  The range is short, which actually makes the birds harder to hit.  You do not use a dog when hunting a deer.  Yes, I use a rifle and scope.  That is to give me not only a sporting chance, but allows me to make it a fast kill, so as not to prolong the suffering of the deer.  That deer can sense me at a greater range than I can sense them (with anything other than the scope, and that is still limited).  The deer is faster, and hides better. 

The problem is that you are arguing a subject you know nothing about, refuse to admit that your assumtions are wrong.  You might as well state that the sky is pink, ignore anyone telling you otherwise, disregard any pictures you are shown, and refusing to look up to experience it for yourself.  You don't even have the framework to have an informed discussion or debate on this subject.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Nothing crazy about being determined in your beliefs.  However, most of those experts have shown that in a majority of rape cases, the rapist did not even climax.
Meh screaming is always turn off. Do you have a source for this climax statement.
You are correct, I am not gay, and I do not personally like the idea of anal sex.  However, I do know several people who are gay and enjoy anal sex, and I can accept that their is nothing inherently wrong or incorrect with their enjoyment of it.  Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean I feel the need to vilify it.
Never vilified it. If read into my post you'll see it.
I was noting your argument style.  Unwavering moral cetainty, polarization of viewpoints, hyper-critical... you are writing a psych paper, you said?  Surely you recognize the developmental psychological profile of a typical teenager!  Oh, and for the record, I am not a redneck.  most redneck friends I have would laugh at that.  I drive a japanese sedan.  I do not wear a hat or speak with a southern accent.  I have never lived outside of the city limits of a city greater than 50,000 people.  I do not listen to country music.  I already told you what I based my assumption on; on what did you base yours?
My developmental psychology profile is off the wall really. I based it on your quick defense of hunting.
This is simply emphasizing hyperbole in an attempt to try to maintain a hold on the argument you have already lost.  You ask me to prove something that is obviously unprovable, in an attempt to distract me and everyone else away from your previous assumptions in the hope they will go unchallanged and thus become accepted.   Why would a hunter use a GPS for anything other than to keep from getting lost?  It will not help you find a deer.  Go ahead and lay out bait; if the deer senses you, you will NOT get a shot on them; they will be long gone.  A hunting dog is used in BIRD hunting, to point out where a bird is hiding in the bush, and to retrieve the bird if it falls.  The range is short, which actually makes the birds harder to hit.  You do not use a dog when hunting a deer.  Yes, I use a rifle and scope.  That is to give me not only a sporting chance, but allows me to make it a fast kill,  so as not to prolong the suffering of the deer.  That deer can sense me at a greater range than I can sense them (with anything other than the scope, and that is still limited).  The deer is faster, and hides better.

The problem is that you are arguing a subject you know nothing about, refuse to admit that your assumtions are wrong.  You might as well state that the sky is pink, ignore anyone telling you otherwise, disregard any pictures you are shown, and refusing to look up to experience it for yourself.  You don't even have the framework to have an informed discussion or debate on this subject.
lalalalalalalalala I can't hear you

Deer aren't faster then bullets. Tell me what if usualy calibar used for hunting deer? What is the speed it is fired? How fast can a deer run?
I'm trying here.
So once you hit the deer then what?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum
theres something satisfying in shooting and stewing rabbits
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

FatherTed wrote:

theres something satisfying in shooting and stewing rabbits
https://blogs.voices.com/voxdaily/gollum-smiling.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto
Difference lies in the way you kill the animal. If I kill a pig with a chainsaw I'm sick. If I kill a pig with an electric wire I'm a butcher.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Pochsy wrote:

Difference lies in the way you kill the animal. If I kill a pig with a chainsaw I'm sick. If I kill a pig with an electric wire I'm a butcher.
Why does the method matter? If it's dead it's dead.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum

Macbeth wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Why is the needle more humane than being disemboweled?

You know the answer.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

FatherTed wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Why is the needle more humane than being disemboweled?

You know the answer.
The pig will be disemboweled anyway. Meh death is death, method doesn't matter.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX
Good Lord, this is getting long. I am going to trim bits of it.

Macbeth wrote:

Meh screaming is always turn off. Do you have a source for this climax statement.
"The incidence of sexual dysfunction during rape may be high.  Interviews with 170 men convicted of sexual assault revealed that erectile failure as well as premature ejaculation during thier criminal act had occurred for a third of these men, although almost none reported having these problems ih his consenting sexual relations.  Only one-fourth of the men gave no evidence of sexual dysfunction during rape (Groth and Burgess, 1977)."  The book is Abnormal Psychology, fifth edition, by Davison and Neale.  My wife has a Bachlors in Psychology, and our house is stacked in textbooks.

Macbeth wrote:

Never vilified it. If read into my post you'll see it.
No, you were comparing it on equal footing as the abnormal behavior of abusing and killing small animals.  Granted, you tried to specify not hunting for food, but that was as far as you went.  It may be you did not refer with enough detail to what you wanted to refer to out of a lack of knowledge about the subject.  I reacted to what I felt the post said, not to what you felt the post said. Looking at a subject from a different point of view yields different assumptions.

Macbeth wrote:

My developmental psychology profile is off the wall really. I based it on your quick defense of hunting.
That is okay, is what I figured.  I was having a bit of fun at this point.

Macbeth wrote:

...(yadda yadda yadda... I tend to talk a lot. If you really want to read this, look up a few posts.  But I was amazing!)...

lalalalalalalalala I can't hear you
okay, that is officially funny.

Macbeth wrote:

Deer aren't faster then bullets. Tell me what if usualy calibar used for hunting deer? What is the speed it is fired? How fast can a deer run?
I'm trying here.
So once you hit the deer then what?
It is not equal combat.  It is a HUNT.  The deer flees.  If it gets away, it wins.  If I manage to keep up, manage to get a clear shot, manage to hit the deer and kill it, then I win.  Hopefully, I hit the deer in a critical spot, it goes down quickly.  If it does, and it is not dead when I find it, I slit its throat, cutting short its pain.  If it is hit in a bad spot, it runs away, wounded.  It can last hours, still trying to get away.  If I am lucky, and good, I can track it, follow it, and find it, then put it out of its misery.  Just because I am hunting it, does not mean I have to be especially cruel.  I know that seems like a paradoxical position, but it indeed exists.  Hunters respect their prey.  If I am going to kill it, I at least owe it a clean, fast kill. 

If you miss, you can occasionally get a second shot off at a rapidly moving target; much harder than the first shot.  It is very rare to get a third shot off.  Remember, it is the woods.  Lots of those tree thingies to get in the way.  If it is a short range shot, odds are they will dissapear in the brush too fast.  If it is a longer shot, they will be visible longer, but it is a much longer, harder shot.  If he gets away, I am not going to track that same deer, since they will be long gone.  The only reason I will do that trek is if I wounded the deer, and I owe it that.

I think you just don't get how easy it is for the deer to get away.  It is a lot more common to come back empty handed than with a kill.  Unless, of course, there are a WHOLE lot of deer, but at that point, there are too many deer for the area to support.  Since we have killed off most of the deers natural preditors, it is dependant on the hunters to keep the population under control or they will all starve out as they strip out their resources.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

"The incidence of sexual dysfunction during rape may be high.  Interviews with 170 men convicted of sexual assault revealed that erectile failure as well as premature ejaculation during thier criminal act had occurred for a third of these men, although almost none reported having these problems ih his consenting sexual relations.  Only one-fourth of the men gave no evidence of sexual dysfunction during rape (Groth and Burgess, 1977)."  The book is Abnormal Psychology, fifth edition, by Davison and Neale.  My wife has a Bachlors in Psychology, and our house is stacked in textbooks.
Well maybe they don't rape because they want control maybe they rape because they have ED or have premature ejaculation.
No, you were comparing it on equal footing as the abnormal behavior of abusing and killing small animals.  Granted, you tried to specify not hunting for food, but that was as far as you went.  It may be you did not refer with enough detail to what you wanted to refer to out of a lack of knowledge about the subject.  I reacted to what I felt the post said, not to what you felt the post said. Looking at a subject from a different point of view yields different assumptions.
Ever considered maybe I was trying to justify killing small animals?
It is not equal combat.  It is a HUNT.  The deer flees.  If it gets away, it wins.  If I manage to keep up, manage to get a clear shot, manage to hit the deer and kill it, then I win.  Hopefully, I hit the deer in a critical spot, it goes down quickly.  If it does, and it is not dead when I find it, I slit its throat, cutting short its pain.  If it is hit in a bad spot, it runs away, wounded.  It can last hours, still trying to get away.  If I am lucky, and good, I can track it, follow it, and find it, then put it out of its misery.  Just because I am hunting it, does not mean I have to be especially cruel.  I know that seems like a paradoxical position, but it indeed exists.  Hunters respect their prey.  If I am going to kill it, I at least owe it a clean, fast kill.

If you miss, you can occasionally get a second shot off at a rapidly moving target; much harder than the first shot.  It is very rare to get a third shot off.  Remember, it is the woods.  Lots of those tree thingies to get in the way.  If it is a short range shot, odds are they will dissapear in the brush too fast.  If it is a longer shot, they will be visible longer, but it is a much longer, harder shot.  If he gets away, I am not going to track that same deer, since they will be long gone.  The only reason I will do that trek is if I wounded the deer, and I owe it that.

I think you just don't get how easy it is for the deer to get away.  It is a lot more common to come back empty handed than with a kill.  Unless, of course, there are a WHOLE lot of deer, but at that point, there are too many deer for the area to support.  Since we have killed off most of the deers natural preditors, it is dependant on the hunters to keep the population under control or they will all starve out as they strip out their resources.
One in a million chance.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

Macbeth wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Sit and watch a wounded animal with a broken back struggle to its feet only to fall again, dripping its blood onto the ground, its nose flaring as it fights for breath.  Sit and watch as it fights to get away, whimpering; a sad parady of its normal self.  It is in pain, suffering.  It is an act of mercy, of humanity that, if you need to kill an animal, you do it quickly and cleanly.  How an animal dies matters; maybe not to it, dead is dead, as you say.  But it matters to me;  I may be killing an animal, but I am not immune to its suffering.  I do not take pleasure in the act of causing it pain, even though I do enjoy to successful conclusion to the hunt.

Welcome to the dichotomy that is humanity.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

Macbeth wrote:

One in a million chance.
Okay, it happens.  Not often.  Good for the deer!  Part of the risk, I suppose.  I am not going to call 'no fair' if the deer manages to turn on the hunter.  Hell, I laughed at that clip!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

imortal wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Sit and watch a wounded animal with a broken back struggle to its feet only to fall again, dripping its blood onto the ground, its nose flaring as it fights for breath.  Sit and watch as it fights to get away, whimpering; a sad parady of its normal self.  It is in pain, suffering.  It is an act of mercy, of humanity that, if you need to kill an animal, you do it quickly and cleanly.  How an animal dies matters; maybe not to it, dead is dead, as you say.  But it matters to me;  I may be killing an animal, but I am not immune to its suffering.  I do not take pleasure in the act of causing it pain, even though I do enjoy to successful conclusion to the hunt.

I'm so fucking confused now. You actually feel bad when you shot it and it's struggling to survive but you where the one that shoot it in the first place but then you feel merciful to actually finish it off?
That is fucking insane man. Don't ever be a doctor or nurse.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto

Macbeth wrote:

So we shouldn't be giving morphine to dying soldiers to let them go peacefully and do what we can (short of finishing them)? Instead we should let their asses suffer and die?

Take a step back man. At this point I think you're just saying these things because you can't go back.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

Macbeth wrote:

imortal wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I'm so fucking confused now. You actually feel bad when you shot it and it's struggling to survive but you where the one that shoot it in the first place but then you feel merciful to actually finish it off?
I am actually an EMT and a nursing student.  My mother is a nurse.  My wife is a paramedic and a nurse.

Ever hear the term 'bittersweet?'  Having multiple feelings on multiple levels?  Yes, all at once, at the end of a good hunt, you can feel exilleration, satisfaction, pity, sadness, and mercy all at once.  It is not insane.  It is just complex.  i don't feel bad that I shot it.  I feel bad when I do not shoot it well.   As I have said many times, you just don't have the frame of reference to understand yet.  It is not an insult, just the truth.

EDIT  It is a sad fact that often hunters respect the life of its prey more than those who seek to protect them.  Yes, hunters kill their prey, but death is a part of life in nature.  To think any different is denial.  We have wiped out those animals natural preditors.  If the herds were not culled, then many more would die off due to overpopulation.  Now, we could go through cold-bloodedly and randomly kill some off.  We make a sport of it.  Is that cruel? It may be, depending on your point of view.  With hunting, we take some out; those who can not evade us, or those who have become so accustomed to the presence of humans so as to not fear them.  The other option would be to round herds in scientifically and kill all of the ones you catch.  we respect them, and we preserve them, because we want to keep hunting them.  I say that a deer I am hunting has a pretty fair chance of getting away from me.  That is why I call it a sport.  More sporting than bullfighting, at least; and a bull has a chance to fight back.

***second edit  I never said it was nice; I said it was merciful.  It may very well be more to make me feel better about it than to be nice to the animal.  I have never analyzed it.  While I do something that delivers pain, I can make that short.  Mean, not sadistic.  And maybe that is the answer to the question in your original post. 

Mean, not sadistic.

Last edited by imortal (2009-04-22 20:52:49)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Pochsy wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

So we shouldn't be giving morphine to dying soldiers to let them go peacefully and do what we can (short of finishing them)? Instead we should let their asses suffer and die?

Take a step back man. At this point I think you're just saying these things because you can't go back.
When did you get a back bone?
I meant it as he shot it then thought he was doing the nice thing by killing it.
It's like a doctor that goes out and does surgery then fucks up really badly but then decides he'll do the merciful thing and kill you, and he'll still feel good about himself.

imortal wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

imortal wrote:

I am actually an EMT and a nursing student.  My mother is a nurse.  My wife is a paramedic and a nurse.

Ever hear the term 'bittersweet?'  Having multiple feelings on multiple levels?  Yes, all at once, at the end of a good hunt, you can feel exilleration, satisfaction, pity, sadness, and mercy all at once.  It is not insane.  It is just complex.  i don't feel bad that I shot it.  I feel bad when I do not shoot it well.   As I have said many times, you just don't have the frame of reference to understand yet.  It is not an insult, just the truth.
Places to visit
Austin, Texas
Warsaw, Poland
Baghdad, Iraq
Berlin, Germany
Ok I'll go hunting one day and I'll shoot something and I'll tell you the mix of feelings.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX
I edited my above comment instead of a whole new post.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto

Macbeth wrote:

When did you get a back bone?
I meant it as he shot it then thought he was doing the nice thing by killing it.
It's like a doctor that goes out and does surgery then fucks up really badly but then decides he'll do the merciful thing and kill you, and he'll still feel good about himself.
I like to let my backbone slide until I don't like the song.

If you wound an animal it will die soon. It can no longer gather food or run away from predators as effectively. So our options come to either letting the animal starve or be eaten, or finish the thing and save it the pain. Feeling good about yourself has little to do with anything here. As immortal said; you'll still feel like crap for messing up the shot and putting the animal through that.

To address your analogy, humans will support each other if one falls behind, animals will move on and let the weakest die.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

Macbeth wrote:

Okay, that is a hell of a bad analogy.  First, you are equating an animals life to the life of a human.  Life is not Life.  Second, you are equating the doctors mistake with an intentional act of a hunter.  That being said, if you want a human analogy, look at hospice care.  When human beings are going to die anyway, the priority of the caregivers is to make the patient as pain-free as possible, even if it may shorten their life.  I do not see an inconsistancy.

Macbeth wrote:

Places to visit
Austin, Texas
Warsaw, Poland
Baghdad, Iraq
Berlin, Germany
Ok I'll go hunting one day and I'll shoot something and I'll tell you the mix of feelings.
That is pretty funny.  You actually think this attitude is limited to Austin?  They have hunters worldwide. Mine may not be the only viewpoint, but it is a common one.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

imortal wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Okay, that is a hell of a bad analogy.  First, you are equating an animals life to the life of a human.  Life is not Life.  Second, you are equating the doctors mistake with an intentional act of a hunter.  That being said, if you want a human analogy, look at hospice care.  When human beings are going to die anyway, the priority of the caregivers is to make the patient as pain-free as possible, even if it may shorten their life.  I do not see an inconsistancy.

Macbeth wrote:

Places to visit
Austin, Texas
Warsaw, Poland
Baghdad, Iraq
Berlin, Germany
That is pretty funny.  You actually think this attitude is limited to Austin?  They have hunters worldwide. Mine may not be the only viewpoint, but it is a common one.
I meant that fact that you wee in the health care industry.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

Macbeth wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Places to visit
Austin, Texas
Warsaw, Poland
Baghdad, Iraq
Berlin, Germany

imortal wrote:

I meant that fact that you wee in the health care industry.
Ah.  lol... Maybe you have a point there.  Then again, maybe you are just being naive.  I think I will make a damn fine nurse, honestly.  I am also a veteren-  a combat vet, actually.  So, you think because I can shoot and have shot animals that I treat human life with less reverance?  I would say I am more likely to take care of a human better than someone who places humans and animals on the same moral ground for sanctity of life.  But you are, of course, entitled to your opinion.  Just try to keep them informed, unless you want to have another argument on health care like the one we just had here.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

Nurse/Doctor/Surgeon = takes more balls than signing up for the army. So pissed they didn't take me due to medical reasons though. Not fair.

A mate of mine got knocked back due to acne though. Jord was right when he said they were anal.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard