mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6760|d
vid here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2009 … ault-video

Video footage has emerged which appears to show a police officer attacking a man who later died during the G20 protests.

In the film Ian Tomlinson is approached from behind and thrown to the ground.

Mr Tomlinson, a newspaper seller who had been on his way home from work, went on to suffer a heart attack and die near the Bank of England in the City of London.

The video, obtained by The Guardian, comes after several witnesses came forward with claims that Mr Tomlinson had been hit.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is already examining press photographs and is now expected to include the video in its investigation.

A police post-mortem examination found that Mr Tomlinson, 47, who was not taking part in the protest, died of natural causes.

Anna Branthwaite, a photographer, gave a detailed statement to City of London Police in which she described how Mr Tomlinson was rushed from behind and hit with a police baton. She told The Times: “I saw a riot police officer rushing towards him from behind and grabbing hold of him from behind and charging with him. He [the officer] grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and used his own body to propel him forward.”

She insisted that her evidence was solely related to the incident involving Mr Tomlinson and one particular riot police officer.

A statement by another witness, who did not wish to be named, says that Mr Tomlinson was pushed from behind and fell forward on his head.

The film appears to show that Mr Tomlinson was walking with his hands in his pockets when a group of officers, some with dogs and some in riot gear, come up behind him.

One officer appears to knock him with a baton, hitting him from behind on his upper thigh, as he is urged forward.

Shortly afterwards, the same policeman appears to push Mr Tomlinson in the back and he falls to the ground.

The man who shot the footage, a fund manager from New York who was in London on business, told The Guardian: "The primary reason for me coming forward is that it was clear the family were not getting any answers."
Lets be honest, the police officer didn't really do much. Still, shits gone hit the fan about police brutality.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
The fact that this guy then died later on of a heart attack is why it's a big deal, whatever way you look at it, it looks like excessive force by that policeman. Just why did he push him so hard onto the ground, he wasn't even doing anything except walking slowly away from them....then again, that Brazilian guy wasn't running either, but he ended up with multiple gunshots to the head

The police here, a mixed bunch. Personally I've not actually experienced anything particularly bad from the Police, I always hear stories about this and that but nowt has happened to me so far

Let's see where this one goes, apparently he was a Millwall fan and they are fucking nuts. Wouldn't want to be a Policeman working a Millwall match!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina
Honestly, it looks like something might have been wrong with this guy before the shove.  He was walking rather slowly and kind of strangely as if he may have been intoxicated, and his face seemed abnormally red.

My guess is that he may have had too much to drink and that the stress of the situation in combination with the alcohol may have led to the heart attack.

Now, what the police did was clearly wrong, but I don't think anyone can seriously imply that the officers were intending on fatally injuring him.

It would be interesting to know more about this guy's medical history.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6763|UK
Seriously what was the dude doing. There's a fucking police line trying to form behind him and he is fucking doodling along. What the hell did he think was going on?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina
Agreed.  This is why he seems possibly drunk.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6713
If cops were walking up behind me with shields and batons i would have moved away a lot quicker than that guy did... he looked disoriented?
Sucks that he died... I also wonder why he was in the area of the protests? If i worked in that area and new there would be protests... I would take the day off and be nowhere near the protest area...  I hope common sense prevails and the case is determined by facts...as opposed to public sentiment...
Love is the answer
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6650
This is just a bad situation all around.

It's even possible that he was having heart trouble at the very moment he was involved with the officer in question.  Not really a great time to happen - the police can't really stop to make sure someone who appears disoriented isn't just a drunk, and the guy might not have been able to move any faster if he was having complications.  It's pretty plausible to be somewhat "out of it" simply from the altered blood pressure and blood oxygen levels associated with heart problems, although he does seem to be visibly a little off kilter as he's walking.  I find myself being anti-police in a lot of brutality cases, but this doesn't seem nearly as clear-cut as a lot of the more infamous occurrences in the States.

Who knows...

Last edited by -CARNIFEX-[LOC] (2009-04-07 15:18:24)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
JahManRed
wank
+646|6624|IRELAND

Look at the start of the vid a few times. They come up behind him quickly. He starts moving almost immediately. And they were not forming a line.
Brasso
+1,549|6627

JahManRed wrote:

Look at the start of the vid a few times. They come up behind him quickly. He starts moving almost immediately. And they were not forming a line.
they lightly shoved him imo.  he lost his balance (probably drunk), and fell, but not bad enough to cause death, heart problems, or a heart attack.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6287|Éire
That riot cop is a cunt... how can law enforcement complain about football hooligans and rioters when they are quite clearly as aggressive and as hungry for violence as the people they are criticizing? That man's behaviour simply DID NOT call for violent reaction and yet that cop thought it would be a good idea to beat him with a baton and push him over on his ear while his hands were in his pockets. I hope he goes down for it. Fuck him. I hope he gets punished the same way I would hope a thug participating in a riot would be punished.

The same thing was seen here in Dublin a few years back during the traditional May day protests when one asshole cop hadn't even started duty but still rushed out of the station without his ID number or proper uniform on him so as he could beat up a few underweight, vegetarian tree-huggers, he got caught on camera and will forever spend his days behind a desk for his troubles.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6763|UK

JahManRed wrote:

Sorry but your eyes doesn't seem to work properly. They quite clearly ARE forming a line. Hence why in the video they are standing in a line across the street.

You call that moving? I call that being a retard, they give him a light shove at the very start, to get him to move it, he doesn't, so the cop hits his leg. He still doesn't get on his way so the police man gives him a shove and the dude falls over.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6287|Éire

haffeysucks wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

they lightly shoved him imo.  he lost his balance (probably drunk), and fell, but not bad enough to cause death, heart problems, or a heart attack.
If you watch the video you'll see they hit him on the legs with a baton and then pushed him (while he wasn't even looking and while his hands were in his pockets) hard enough to make him fall over and hit the floor quite hard. A man who, in hindsight, was suffering from health problems and was moments from death, a man who was quite clearly not threatening or provoking the police... way to go police, well done.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6760|d

Braddock wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

If you watch the video you'll see they hit him on the legs with a baton and then pushed him (while he wasn't even looking and while his hands were in his pockets) hard enough to make him fall over and hit the floor quite hard. A man who, in hindsight, was suffering from health problems and was moments from death, a man who was quite clearly not threatening or provoking the police... way to go police, well done.
I don't think its as clear cut as that. i reckon he was taunting the police by walking the way he was, i am sure the police told him to fuk off but he was still taking a stroll.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6287|Éire

mafia996630 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

I don't think its as clear cut as that. i reckon he was taunting the police by walking the way he was, i am sure the police told him to fuk off but he was still taking a stroll.
You're missing the point... strolling in an annoying manner does not give you the right to hit someone with a stick or push them so as they will fall on their face. Wearing a badge and uniform does not give you the right to act like a scumbag, if a regular guy in the street did that they'd be arrested for assault.

If that riot cop can't manage his temper he should not be in the police force, simple as that. It's not an easy job I'll admit but this guy clearly isn't up to it, perhaps he'd be better suited on the other side of the cordon where the rioters are.
13rin
+977|6476

Braddock wrote:

You're missing the point... strolling in an annoying manner does not give you the right to hit someone with a stick or push them so as they will fall on their face. Wearing a badge and uniform does not give you the right to act like a scumbag, if a regular guy in the street did that they'd be arrested for assault.

If that riot cop can't manage his temper he should not be in the police force, simple as that. It's not an easy job I'll admit but this guy clearly isn't up to it, perhaps he'd be better suited on the other side of the cordon where the rioters are.
I dunno what the man said to the police before the incident.  The man looks out of it and almost purposly meandering in front of the Officers.  They moved him.  Nine times out of ten if you did that to somebody on the street either nothing would happen, or you'd get your ass beat.

Temper would have been for the officer to belt him a few more times after he was 'relocated'.  I'd give him a bravery medal, I don't think I would approach a mob with a stick and dog.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

brad may be correct, but if you dont put yourself in those situations......
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6668|UK

usmarine wrote:

brad may be correct, but if you dont put yourself in those situations......
i think this guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He wasn't there to demonstrate.

Not an excuse for that copper's behaviour though.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5991|Truthistan
Sucks to be the police... all dressed up for a riot and no riot to be found. This would have been the start of a police riot if the wrong people were around on the other side.

Looks to me like the cop was frustrated and took it out on the guy, there was no cause for hitting him even if he was dragging his feet. And then there is the lieing about what happened

Medically speaking, what could have happened was that the hit on the thigh might have caused a deep vein thrombosis which is a big clot. This can happened in older people. If a DVT clot let go and traveled up to the lungs, heart or brain it can kill. It looks like a possiblity in this case.
Reciprocity
+721|6577|the dank(super) side of Oregon
nice balaclava.  hooray for militarized police.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6702
Why was he walking like a retard?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
That Officer had no right or reason to do that, people are entitled to be in a public place providing they behave themselves.
That was an unprovoked cowardly assault and he should face the full weight of the law.

I've been to peaceful demonstrations and seen the Police blatantly try to provoke trouble, I'm not sure if they get a bonus payment or something.
I've also been on the end of unbelievable Police corruption and harassment, I know Police officers who make most of their income from drug sales, I also know someone whose brother was murdered with the full approval of serving officers.

That said 99% of the Police are straight and honest, its the 1% who screw it up for the rest.

Edit: Actually the silent majority who sit back and let the 1% do whatever they like, and back them with false evidence are probably worse IMO.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-04-08 05:51:31)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5858
this guy was just walking home, nothing to do with this protest, why a thug pushed him, we dont know. i can tell you if you watch where the man fell you can just about see him fall chest first. plus people can get heart attacks from shock, no doubt the pig involved is responsible for his death in my eyes.

i have also been pushed round by "police" officers at protests, they do it on purpose without warning
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6287|Éire

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I dunno what the man said to the police before the incident.  The man looks out of it and almost purposly meandering in front of the Officers.  They moved him.  Nine times out of ten if you did that to somebody on the street either nothing would happen, or you'd get your ass beat.

Temper would have been for the officer to belt him a few more times after he was 'relocated'.  I'd give him a bravery medal, I don't think I would approach a mob with a stick and dog.
You'd give someone a bravery medal for hitting an unarmed man with his hands in pockets in the back and knocking him over? Interesting.

I dunno how things are in your country but over here a police officer is not allowed to beat you with a stick and knock you over because of something you've said. The guy had just finished work and it was still early in the day so unless he was sitting under the beer tap for an hour before making his way home (which is apparently what he was doing according to his route observed on the CCTV footage) then your assumption is incorrect. If you did that on the street and your victim had witnesses you'd be charged with assault... fact.

Right-wing fanboys always assume innocence and bravery on the part of the security services because they're often so caught up in the romance and 'patriotism' of the so-called "defenders of the state" that they can't possibly consider that the man in the uniform might just as easily be a complete ned who likes violence and is himself as big a thug as the people he's supposed to be protecting society from. I know cops who are complete louts, I've seen first-hand what cunts the cops can be. Wearing a badge and uniform does not exempt you from the rules and laws of society.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6490|N. Ireland
The guy was walking away, hands in his pockets, and the police used un-necessary force. Seemed to be no sign to ask him to move or anything like that. It really is unfortunate that he died of a heart attack for the police - because so many other contributing factors probably led to that. Just the rush of adrenaline/blood probably started of it, so you could argue pretty much any 'adventurous' situation would have had the same outcome.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6287|Éire
At the end of the day it was horribly irresponsible police work. The fatality of an unarmed, non-hostile man who wasn't even taking part in the protests could have easily turned that protest into a full-scale riot... violence begets violence. That cop should never be allowed out from behind his desk again.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard