ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command
Since 1945 there has been no fight to the death between major nations.
Take away the threat of incineration and all that it will lead to is epic land battles between nations.
Nuclear weapons have kept a relative peace for over half a century, and if it ain't broke....

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6706|67.222.138.85

ATG wrote:

Nuclear weapons have kept a relative peace for over half a century
Wow, that is such a long time. It is clearly an infallible method.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
45 years is a heartbeat in warfare, no?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
ATG
Banned

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

More than twice as long as you have been alive.

FatherTed wrote:

45 years is a heartbeat in warfare, no?
Only in past centuries.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6565|England

Granted, they act as a deterrent. But that applies for all but the most fanatical of leaders and regimes. Its somewhat scary to know the whole world can be blown up how many times over with our stockpiles?
Flaming_Maniac

ATG wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

Yes that makes sense, how long I have been alive is vitally important when comparing the peace correlated with (but not necessarily caused by) the threat of MAD, not something ridiculous like the thousands of years man has been trying to rip is fellow man a new hole.
ATG
Banned

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Yes that makes sense, how long I have been alive is vitally important when comparing the peace correlated with (but not necessarily caused by) the threat of MAD, not something ridiculous like the thousands of years man has been trying to rip is fellow man a new hole.
Nuclear weapons keep the peace.

Spears and slings equal perpetual warfare.
Flaming_Maniac

ATG wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

k, let's just pretend I'm not the kinda guy to take statements on blind faith, how would you back that up? With the said half century?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

I'd say the only thing nukes have prevented is major force-on-force engagements between nuclear powers.

They haven't done anything to stop lower-level conflicts...often proxy wars between said nuclear powers.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6518|Montucky

FEOS wrote:

I'd say the only thing nukes have prevented is major force-on-force engagements between nuclear powers.

They haven't done anything to stop lower-level conflicts...often proxy wars between said nuclear powers.
QFT

New Clee Yur Weesels.
ATG
Banned

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

k, let's just pretend I'm not the kinda guy to take statements on blind faith, how would you back that up? With the said half century?
Look at the numbers of peoples and soldiers killed prior to 1945 in war.

Compare that to the numbers killed since in war.
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5574|The Wild West
only a handful of people died in the spanish american war compared to the civilwar.  no nukes there.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6649
Yes it acts as a deterrent but picture the day when shit hits the fan and countries use them on each other.

Pro-It has worked as a deterrent successfully thus far.

Con-when some despotic douche decides to use one, he has the capability of destroying a country at his fingertips. I prefer a bunch of men in trenches to the reality of complete destruction.
Flaming_Maniac

ATG wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

Look at the numbers of peoples and soldiers killed prior to 1945 in war.

Compare that to the numbers killed since in war.
That still doesn't mean anything. You can't take the tiny amount of time between two massive wars and say "look at everything we were doing right".
ATG
Banned
Well, I'm not one to be beating my head against a Wall.

I know that it is a double edged sword.
Terrorist with a nuke, meh, bad indeed, but nothing compared to icbm multiple warhead weapons.

The former is more likely to use them than the later.

The United States could absorb a one city detonation.
Nobody can survive and absorb a barrage, and so there will be no barrage coming.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6649

ATG wrote:

Nobody can survive and absorb a barrage, and so there will be no barrage coming.
Never say never. Depends on whichever fanatic decides to use it.
LiamPK
+2|5803|Middlesbrough
Were in a military dictatorship which concentrate's power into too few hands and takes only one person to end modern civilisation, but HEY crime is down.

Instead of two super power's fighing with one another directly, instead they fight through third world countries, so conflict is still their, just not on your doorstep.

Last edited by LiamPK (2009-04-05 15:13:07)

Flaming_Maniac
God damn have we learned nothing? There are people, very powerful, influential people out there that have radically different value systems than the one we have. If we continue to act as if we are operating against people that are on the same page as us we are signing our own death certificate.
ATG
Banned
Which is why if we say we are disarming it should be a lie.
LiamPK
+2|5803|Middlesbrough
Well surely if they were 0 nuclear weapon's then there is less of a chance of a nuclear bomb going off and killing a lot of people?
Flaming_Maniac

ATG wrote:

Which is why if we say we are disarming it should be a lie.
That is certainly not why you said so before.
ATG
Banned
I am saying no to disarmament.

We should have the biggest baddest military force in the world and stop other nations from taking our place on top of the pile.
Flaming_Maniac

ATG wrote:

I am saying no to disarmament.
To keep the peace?
mikkel
+383|6601
Peace through the threat of total annihilation doesn't really seem that peaceful to me, to be honest. It might work for now, but once it fails - and it will - the consequence will be the worst disaster imaginable. If we've learned anything from history, it is that peace will eventually end. Why set us up for assured destruction when that happens again?
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Massive reductions in force and massive increases in ICBM defenses. Brilliant Pebbles still doesn't look to bad imo.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard