KuSTaV
noice
+947|6511|Gold Coast
Greetings, friends of thy section of the Tech!

'Tis me, once again, and I come asking for any advice on a laptop that I wish to inquire about and purchase.

I'm looking really to get a laptop for portable school use and the occasional game, or older games.

Ive nailed it down to a Toshiba, but any other recommendations or suggestions are welcome.

I'm looking into a Toshiba Satellite M300-06J with a marked down price to roughly $1700 or so from a local retailer (note: Australian dollars and that here).
Specs are:
Intel C2D P7450 @ 2.14GHz
4GB RAM
400GB HDD
14.1" screen
ATI Mobility 3470 w/ 256mb dedicated

http://www.rickhart.net.au/notebooks-33/toshiba-148/toshiba-satellite-m300-06j-14-1-notebook-642.html

Im looking at this because of the screen size, which is nice and small for me taking to school and when I go travelling. With this, I also aim to get a 3 year warranty.
Would you suggest this as a decent laptop for Office, portability, and the casual game/old game use?
Also, since I'm an Nvidia fanboy, what is the ATI equivalent to the one listed?? (Note, I know it wont be exactly the same, but what is a decent comparison?)

Alternatively, my dad has looked into a Toshiba A300-OC3, and managed to get an upgrade to 4GB RAM and a 3 year warranty.
General specs are:
Intel C2D @ 2.00GHz
Upgraded to 4GB RAM
Unknown HDD
Similar Graphics
15.4" screen
For $1499

To me, I prefer the M300, but that's just what Ive seen.

Do you have any helpful suggestions or recommendations to what would fit my current requirements of office/portability/occasional game?
I'm looking for prices between $1000-$1900.
Note, Prices are Australian, and Id prefer if there are any other computers that fit the range of the specs and price.

Cheers in advance.

Last edited by KuSTaV (2009-03-23 01:18:00)

noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Benzin
+576|5998
I recently bought a laptop from the ASUS F5 line that is really nice. It comes with 512MB in an ATi 3450 (iirc) vid card. 15.4" screen, Vista, 4GB of RAM, etc. Really slick machine.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5681
dont get a toshiba

stick with lenovo, dell, or asus
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6511|Gold Coast

phishman420 wrote:

dont get a toshiba

Any specific models?

Plus whats the reason for not going Toshiba?
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

Lenovo T or R series. Awesome build quality, best there is. Great keyboard, good battery time.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6670|The Netherlands
Toshiba's are the best laptops. I love my A300-1A9, and we have two other toshiba's one of which is about 5-6 years old, but is still running happily as a server.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5681

KuSTaV wrote:

phishman420 wrote:

dont get a toshiba

Any specific models?

Plus whats the reason for not going Toshiba?
just whatever is in your price range that you like. i have never heard anything good about toshibas--not that ive heard anything bad, but still...

lenovo, asus, and dell are all well respected brands. i dont know where you would be buying this from, but just look for some from the brands i posted
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5904|CA

max wrote:

Lenovo T or R series. Awesome build quality, best there is. Great keyboard, good battery time.
tbh, some of the best laptops I've used/will use.  Lenovo > Dell, IMO.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto
Screw Dell. Do not buy one. I have one right now, and after only 10 months the 6 cell battery has died on me completely. Total bullshit- 110$ replacement, not covered by warranty at all.

Don't buy one.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6632

TopHat01 wrote:

max wrote:

tbh, some of the best laptops I've used/will use.  Lenovo > Dell, IMO.
Yep, I'm still running my IBM laptop from 5 years ago. Awsm
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6511|Gold Coast
Sweet as. Cheers all.

The M300 is a bit expensive, because they bought stock at the new currency exchange rate, rather than the older stock with the old rate. So Im getting a discount on the A300, which is pretty much the same machine.
Tech-Knight
+4|5520|USA
the toshiba is looks good but i would get a 15.4...
Tripulaci0n
+14|6156
get a mac.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black

Tripulaci0n wrote:

get a mac.
This.

And then sit in Starbucks and surf the net.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard