Braddock
Agitator
+916|6298|Éire
An Israeli military college has printed damning soldiers' accounts of the killing of civilians and vandalism during recent operations in Gaza. The testimonies were published by the military academy at Oranim College. Graduates of the academy, who had served in Gaza, were speaking to new recruits at a seminar. The testimonies, if proven, will challenge Israel's claim that it took active measures to protect non-enemy combatants. Medical authorities say more than 1,300 Palestinians were killed during Israel's 22-day operation, including some 440 children, 110 women, and dozens of elderly people.

A couple of points: It is duly noted that these testimonies are from soldiers who served in the recent Gaza assault and their claims have yet to be verified (though who might be a trustworthy ombudsman for such an investigation is debatable); however, this is a published academic transcript and hence must be considered worthy for discussion.

Sources...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7952603.stm
http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNew … 0620090319

Last edited by Braddock (2009-03-19 08:16:42)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

Correspondents say the testimonies, if proved credible,...........

/thread
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

usmarine wrote:

/thread
Yeah half the discussions here surround allegations of some sort.  The fact that they haven't been independently verified doesn't mean we can't talk about it, right?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

usmarine wrote:

/thread
Yeah half the discussions here surround allegations of some sort.  The fact that they haven't been independantly verifiied doesn't mean we can't talk about it right?
oh whatever.  fine.  have a 12 page discussion on israel again started by a story that is not proven at all.  have fun.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

but i think its worth noting that people in here bash sources all the time.  post something from fox news and most here cry like girls.  so, since that is allowed, i will join the fun.  fair and balanced ftw.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

usmarine wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

usmarine wrote:

/thread
Yeah half the discussions here surround allegations of some sort.  The fact that they haven't been independantly verifiied doesn't mean we can't talk about it right?
oh whatever.  fine.  have a 12 page discussion on israel again started by a story that is not proven at all.  have fun.
No one is forcing you to click reply marine.  Feel free to provide any insight you would like to the OP or don't participate.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6298|Éire

usmarine wrote:

/thread
During the offensive there were numerous reports and allegations made by various press organisations about abuses against non-combatants... these were rubbished as unverified, eye witness reports; now we have soldiers who actually served in the conflict breaking ranks to testify that such things did in fact take place... and these are being rubbished as unverified, eye witness reports. It sounds to me like you won't be satisfied until an investigation "verifies" what actually took place - an investigation most likely carried out by the same people accused of overseeing the crimes in question. You don't seem happy even to discuss any possible wrongdoing on the part of the Israelis, It seems to me that you've picked your side usmarine, despite your delusions of objectivity.

Last edited by Braddock (2009-03-19 10:16:05)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6550|Texas - Bigger than France
Brad, feel free to discuss the other side as well...

...like how buses, shopping malls, random mortar and rocket attacks are always military targets.

aka, open your eyes and see it sucks both ways.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6298|Éire

Pug wrote:

...like how buses, shopping malls, random mortar and rocket attacks are always military targets.

I have continually acknowledged the unjustifiable bloodshed on the part of the Palestinian militants, I have washed my hands of the likes of Hamas and I have never condoned targeting civilians.

aka, open your eyes and read some of my posts.
Pug
Then what are the Palestinians doing to prevent the militants from being active in their territory?

I have seen too many posts about that...
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6298|Éire

Pug wrote:

Then what are the Palestinians doing to prevent the militants from being active in their territory?

I have seen too many posts about that...
Cowering in fear that they themselves might be persecuted by the armed militants if they don't keep their mouths shut I'd imagine.
Pug
So if they are unable to help themselves, why must we continue to talk about a lost cause?

BTW I was referring to asking neighboring countries.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6298|Éire

Pug wrote:

So if they are unable to help themselves, why must we continue to talk about a lost cause?

BTW I was referring to asking neighboring countries.
The Jews were a lost cause too at one stage, they even had nazi collaborators who helped coral and control fellow Jews in the ghettos... should we have just left them to destroy themselves during the holocaust?
Pug
Well, I think the Jews asked for help right?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6298|Éire

Pug wrote:

The Palestinians have been asking the world to recognise the atrocities of the occupying Israeli regime for years... what's your point?
Pug

Braddock wrote:

Pug wrote:

The Palestinians have been asking the world to recognise the atrocities of the occupying Israeli regime for years... what's your point?
Who's in charge of the Palestinian government?
Wreckognize
+294|6493
Found this article:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1072040.html

IDF in Gaza: Killing civilians, vandalism, and lax rules of engagement

During Operation Cast Lead, Israeli forces killed Palestinian civilians under permissive rules of engagement and intentionally destroyed their property, say soldiers who fought in the offensive.

The soldiers are graduates of the Yitzhak Rabin pre-military preparatory course at Oranim Academic College in Tivon. Some of their statements made on Feb. 13 will appear Thursday and Friday in Haaretz. Dozens of graduates of the course who took part in the discussion fought in the Gaza operation.

The speakers included combat pilots and infantry soldiers. Their testimony runs counter to the Israel Defense Forces' claims that Israeli troops observed a high level of moral behavior during the operation. The session's transcript was published this week in the newsletter for the course's graduates.

The testimonies include a description by an infantry squad leader of an incident where an IDF sharpshooter mistakenly shot a Palestinian mother and her two children. "There was a house with a family inside .... We put them in a room. Later we left the house and another platoon entered it, and a few days after that there was an order to release the family. They had set up positions upstairs. There was a sniper position on the roof," the soldier said.

"The platoon commander let the family go and told them to go to the right. One mother and her two children didn't understand and went to the left, but they forgot to tell the sharpshooter on the roof they had let them go and it was okay, and he should hold his fire and he ... he did what he was supposed to, like he was following his orders."

According to the squad leader: "The sharpshooter saw a woman and children approaching him, closer than the lines he was told no one should pass. He shot them straight away. In any case, what happened is that in the end he killed them.

"I don't think he felt too bad about it, because after all, as far as he was concerned, he did his job according to the orders he was given. And the atmosphere in general, from what I understood from most of my men who I talked to ... I don't know how to describe it .... The lives of Palestinians, let's say, is something very, very less important than the lives of our soldiers. So as far as they are concerned they can justify it that way," he said.

Another squad leader from the same brigade told of an incident where the company commander ordered that an elderly Palestinian woman be shot and killed; she was walking on a road about 100 meters from a house the company had commandeered.

The squad leader said he argued with his commander over the permissive rules of engagement that allowed the clearing out of houses by shooting without warning the residents beforehand. After the orders were changed, the squad leader's soldiers complained that "we should kill everyone there [in the center of Gaza]. Everyone there is a terrorist."

The squad leader said: "You do not get the impression from the officers that there is any logic to it, but they won't say anything. To write 'death to the Arabs' on the walls, to take family pictures and spit on them, just because you can. I think this is the main thing: To understand how much the IDF has fallen in the realm of ethics, really. It's what I'll remember the most."
13rin
+977|6487

Braddock wrote:

Pug wrote:

I have continually acknowledged the unjustifiable bloodshed on the part of the Palestinian militants, I have washed my hands of the likes of Hamas and I have never condoned targeting civilians.

Sweet.  Now just go convince your bro (about hamas).  However it does raise a question...  Do you think Hamas feels justified in targeting anyone since everyone is basically required to serve in the military?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

usmarine wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

No one is forcing you to click reply marine.  Feel free to provide any insight you would like to the OP or don't participate.
feel free to tell me why the other one was closed?  also tell me why donfck closed a thread in dst cause the OP source was proven wrong.  well, this aint been proven right yet either.  there is NOTHING to add or discuss.  nothing happened.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6772|d
Should be interesting to see how this story develops.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563

Pug wrote:

The Holocaust? Perhaps we should brush that one under the carpet too, seen as those six million proved to be a lost cause...

Perhaps we must continue to talk about it because we're partly to blame and because we don't hold Israel to the same standards as we hold the Arabs, which sets a horrid example.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-03-19 15:25:47)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6298|Éire

Pug wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Pug wrote:

Who's in charge of the Palestinian government?
You mean the guys that, according to your Government, took power by force in a coup?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6298|Éire

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Pug wrote:

Sweet.  Now just go convince your bro (about hamas).  However it does raise a question...  Do you think Hamas feels justified in targeting anyone since everyone is basically required to serve in the military?
Cameronpoe doesn't have any time for Hamas either, you guys really need to read some of the posts in this section instead of just reading the name of the person posting and imagining the rest.

I really can't answer for Hamas and what they think about targets seen as I don't identify with them on any level but I guess what you are saying is in some ways similar to the way many Israeli soldiers view all Arabs as legitimate targets because weapons are stored and launched from densely populated areas.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

Braddock wrote:

you guys really need to read some of the posts in this section instead of just reading the name of the person posting and imagining the rest.
lolk
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

Maybe this will finally bring down the Israeli government and end the state of Israel...wait never mind won't happen.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard