Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6607
You realise theres medical evidence to back it up. Doctors didn't just look at hyper kids and make a guess.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6092|Scotland!
One of my three sisters has ADD, the rest of them and my brother and me have never had a problem with hyperactivity.

My ex stepfather tried to beat it out of her, so there goes your discipline theory right out the window.
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5594|Southern California
Bi-polar is not fake you dumbass, I've met many people with that disorder and it's a horrible mental condition not only that it's completely different from ADD/ADHD.

Uzique wrote:

Mitch wrote:

There's no such thing as Bi-polar, ADD, ADHD, etc.

The cause? Bad parenting. There was none of this shit ~20 years ago. Parents knew how to spank and how to take care of their kids. Now it's just sugar, caffeine, video games and "everyone's a winner".

tl;dr = Control your goddamn emotions like the rest of us.

Discuss.
Err bi-polar depression is completely different from ADD/ADHD.

tl;dr = Shut the fuck up until you know what you're talking about.

Parental discipline has nothing to do with bipolarity.
this.
GorillaKing798
Too legit to quit
+48|6075|Tampa, Florida
I have a friend who has ADHD, can't focus at all unless he's taken his medication. Kid is smart and his parents raised him well, he has a disorder and he's definetly not faking it.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6804|Reykjavík, Iceland.

GorillaKing798 wrote:

I have a friend who has ADHD, can't focus at all unless he's taken his medication. Kid is smart and his parents raised him well, he has a disorder and he's definetly not faking it.
Your friend sounds exactly like me.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6535|London

I'm Jamesey wrote:

One of my three sisters has ADD, the rest of them and my brother and me have never had a problem with hyperactivity.

My ex stepfather tried to beat it out of her, so there goes your discipline theory right out the window.
beating your children =/= good discipline

it can be a (crude) application but somehow I think there's a lot more to good parenting than that
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6561|132 and Bush

My nephew has adhd (diagnosed more than once by different Psychiatrist). It is a neurological condition that has nothing to do with bad parenting. My sister is an A+ parent. My nephew actually does well in school. He just has to stand when he does his homework.. and a few other things.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6460|so randum
on a side note, i think autism is tragic as hell.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6414|USA
ADD/ ADHD is not fake you fucking retard. Same with Bi-Polar disorder. It's medically proven. Go back to school, this is extremely offensive.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5503|Toronto

FatherTed wrote:

I don't think I would say the same. If they are not aware they are different (I don't know if they do, enlighten me oh bf2s) then I would not agree, if they do, I would. I mean, mental illness is really only suffering if you know you have it, or if you are in constant fear. It's like your crazy mum, we know shes crazy, but she sure as hell doesn't seem to think so, she goes on doing her thing happy as can be.

Again; if they do know of their mental state the above obviously does not apply.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Karbin
+42|6255

Aries_37 wrote:

I'm Jamesey wrote:

beating your children =/= good discipline

it can be a (crude) application but somehow I think there's a lot more to good parenting than that
Ahhh No....   Looking back on when I got disciplined, it was the best and fastest way of correcting a bad behavior problem. It was also a step used when anything else had failed.

But trying to "beat it out" of someone.....   well  thats the type of thought that STARTED this thread.
rdx-fx
+955|6552
ADD/ADHD is overdiagnosed.  What percentage of cases are real, and what are just discipline & self-control issues .. dunno.

The only person I know well, who really does have clinical ADD/ADHD - is a stereotypical caffeine junkie, Unix geek, black belt in Tae Kwon Do, excellent race driver, decent pistol shot, and overall nice guy.
He is also an IT professional, with a breadth of Unix/Cisco/Network/PC/Webdev knowledge that only the truly passionate 24/7 geeks possess.
He cannot sit still for more than 15 minutes straight, and he starts vibrating in place after about 5 minutes.
He will sit down and read only under duress, or force of will.
He learns by asking a fucktonne of questions.  Picking the brains of every subject matter expert within cellphone range, until he has absorbed it all.
To have a conversation with him, you have to be prepared for a wild ride of stream of consciousness rambling, subject jumps, and carrying 5 or 10 simultaneous subject threads at once.  There's always a common relation to the threads, but he just isn't a linear thinker.. at all.

BUT he is functional, holds down a job without medication, excels in interrupt-driven work environments (Unix & Network admin), and generally works within the parameters of his particular wiring, without excuses or drama.

What is perfectly clear, though, is that the current crop of kids generally have the attention span of a moth in a lighting & lamp store.

If they have to read anything over a paragraph in length, they wander off and lose interest.  ("Wall of text" complaints sound familiar to anyone here?). 
Getting them to read a whole Wikipedia entry is difficult. 
Getting them to read something like War & Peace or Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
.. yeah f'ing right.  NOT going to happen.

Short attention spans, no patience, no endurance, no emotional control, no responsibility.
No sense of history, no sense of future.. there is only here and now, in fast-forward 5 second made-for-TV edited sound bite clips.
Shared pop culture has replaced History.

And get off my damn lawn!!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6113|what

ITT: Mitch has no clue what he is talking about.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5546

ADD and ADHD are often over diagnosed or misdiagnosed. You see Mitch symptoms for certain disorders often double up. Rapid mood swings are the main defining feature in people with bipolar disorder. But people with things like Borderline Personality Disorder also have rapid mood swings. Extreme raging anger is a feature of a good bunch of personality disorders.

Also about bad parenting. Freud great contribution was "The child is father to the man" What happens to you as a child defines how you are as an adult. Now a good parent who means well and loves their child could do things that affect the child in ways that they didn't think it would. Like sending your young child for surgery that they need would be the nice parenting thing to do but it could also create a bunch of phobias in that child.

I'm speaking both from experience and my psychology text book right now.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6530|Portland, OR, USA

AussieReaper wrote:

Most ignorant post of 2009 by a long shot.  You're not even out of high school right?  How the hell do you carry any weight in any medical/scientific discussion.  You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.  If you have done some lengthy, well documented scientific study that proves otherwise I'll apologize, until then, fail.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6583|Little Bentcock

CommieChipmunk wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Most ignorant post of 2009 by a long shot.  You're not even out of high school right?  How the hell do you carry any weight in any medical/scientific discussion.  You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.  If you have done some lengthy, well documented scientific study that proves otherwise I'll apologize, until then, fail.

wut

Out of all the comment in this thread you think that is the most ignorant post?

Last edited by Adams_BJ (2009-03-19 22:07:43)

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6116|Vancouver | Canada
Going by your "description", I don't think you know what ADD is.

FatherTed wrote:

I have an autistic friend...He got cops called on us for yelling at some guy.

..Then he proceeded to yell at the police when they got there.

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2009-03-19 22:15:30)

Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6591|New Hampshire, USA

surprised it hasn't been posted yet tbh
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
mikkel
+383|6561

Pochsy wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I don't think I would say the same. If they are not aware they are different (I don't know if they do, enlighten me oh bf2s) then I would not agree, if they do, I would. I mean, mental illness is really only suffering if you know you have it, or if you are in constant fear. It's like your crazy mum, we know shes crazy, but she sure as hell doesn't seem to think so, she goes on doing her thing happy as can be.

Again; if they do know of their mental state the above obviously does not apply.
Autists definitely know, and especially people with less debilitating autism are troubled by it. I know autists who can function and hold jobs, but have a lot of trouble socially, and they're very much aware of their condition because of how people react to them. It's one thing to not fit in with a group of people, but it must be terrifying to not fit in anywhere, ever.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6113|what

CommieChipmunk wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Are you directing your post at me, or Mitch? If it is the former, yes, I am out of high school. About to graduate University and am in my final semester for a Bachelor in Information Technology.

I have a number of friends who are bi-polar. I've known people who have ADD.

Both are bio-chemical imbalances in the brain. Hence the medication. Sure GP's may over diagnose the condition, but that does not make it an imaginary condition.

Would you like some well documented scientific studies that demonstrate the numbers of people with ADD\ADHD?

How about some from the The Medical Journal of Australia?

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults: conceptual and clinical issues

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/171 … ollor.html

*  Reports published over the past decade indicate that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a cause of significant psychological impairment in adults.
    * The adulthood disorder occurs as a continuation of its childhood counterpart, with the full ADHD syndrome persisting into early adulthood in about a third of those with childhood ADHD.
    * Despite advances in the understanding of the neurobiology of adult ADHD, the diagnosis is made clinically by establishing a retrospective childhood diagnosis, evaluating the current symptom profile and excluding alternative medical or psychiatric causes of symptoms.
    * Adults with ADHD have high rates of comorbid psychiatric disorder and suffer significant relationship dysfunction, work and educational failure.
    * There is emerging evidence for the effectiveness of specific treatments for adult ADHD, including stimulant medications and some antidepressants.
    * Clinicians should be aware of this potentially treatable disorder in young adults presenting with psychological difficulties and a history of childhood ADHD symptoms.
Want another?

Use of medication by young people with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/177 … 58_fm.html

Our study had three aims: (i) to identify the percentage of children in Australia with ADHD who were receiving stimulants and other psychotropic medications; (ii) to identify the number of children without ADHD who were receiving stimulants; and (iii) to identify factors associated with children's use of stimulants.
Go through are read that last one in length, you might enjoy it. It is a clinical study analysing the over diagnosis of ADD\ADHD and surprisingly does not come to the conclusion that therefore the whole thing is imaginary. lol

"There were no cases of ADD/ADHD in the 1800's either. It couldn't be due to the lack of proper diagnosis, so its just a make believe disease"

Does that just about summarise your argument?

ITT: Mitch and CommieChipmunk have no clue what they are talking about.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
I think I have autism. I was talking to a psych nurse I met online. She dated a special Ed teacher before and told me a joke "Teacher Ed teachers are 'special' ". I sent her a picture of my apartment. She asked what is that machine on your dresser? I told her "a label marker". She started laughing. Labeling and ordering things are a sign of autism. No way around it.

She also had a crazy upbringing. She told me something another psych nurse told me "Psych nurses know psych".
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Interesting place to put that but did you also know that autistic people have a heartbeat? There must be a connection.

HMM
uziq
+492|3412
ADD and ADHD are often over diagnosed or misdiagnosed.
it's amazing that i literally just said in the other thread that ODD is over-diagnosed thesedays, as the new ADD/ADHD du jour, and macbeth called me out on it. and here he is saying the exact same thing 13 years ago. lol.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

uziq wrote:

ADD and ADHD are often over diagnosed or misdiagnosed.
it's amazing that i literally just said in the other thread that ODD is over-diagnosed thesedays, as the new ADD/ADHD du jour, and macbeth called me out on it. and here he is saying the exact same thing 13 years ago. lol.
Sorry that I don't remember that. I am autistic. Stop punching down.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6697|Oxferd Ohire
That's equality for you beth
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard