usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

Religion annoys me.  To the point where I believe we would be in a much better world without it.  I have thought that for a while now.  I saw his movie and agreed with pretty much everything.  I would hope people watch this movie and learn. 

*no ATG this should not be in the video section because it will be a debate.

** Basis of the movie and I agree.  Thoughts?

"The irony of religion is that because of its power to divert man to destructive courses, the world could actually come to an end... Plain fact is, religion must die for mankind to live. The hour is getting very late to be able to indulge having in key decisions made by religious people. By irrationalists. B those who would steer the ship of state not by a compass, but by the equivalent of reading the entrails of a chicken. George Bush prayed a lot about Iraq, but he didn't learn a lot about it... Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking. It's nothing to brag about. And those who preach faith and enable and elevate it are intellectual slaveholders keeping mankind in a bondage to fantasy and nonsense that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction. Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do. Most people would think it's wonderful when someone says, "I'm willing, Lord! I'll do whatever you want me to do!" Except that since there are no gods actually talking to us, that void is filled in by people with their own corruptions and limitations and agendas... And anyone who tells you they know, they just know what happens when you die, I promise you you don't. How can I be so sure? Because I don't know, and you do not possess mental powers that I do not. The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a littany of getting shit dead wrong... This is why rational people, anti-religionists, must end their timidity and come out of the closet and assert themselves. And those who consider themselves only moderately religious really need to look in the mirror and realize that the solace and comfort that religion brings you comes at a horrible price... If you belonged to a political party or a social club that was tied to as much bigotry, misogyny, homophobia, violence, and sheer ignorance as religion is, you'd resign in protest. To do otherwise is to be an enabler, a mafia wife, for the true devils of extremism that draw their legitimacy from the billions of their fellow travelers. If the world does come to an end here, or wherever, or if it limps into the future, decimated by the effects of religion-inspired nuclear terrorism, let's remember what the real problem was. We learned how to precipitate mass death before we got past the neurological disorder of wishing for it. That's it. Grow up or die."

Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6751|London

I thought religulous was more of a comedy than an actual documentary, but it was good none the less. Without wanting to turn this into a thread about conspiracy theorys, I thought Part 1 of Zeitgeist was a lot more interesting than religulous. I'm just talking about the first bit, nothing to do with 9/11. Where they explain how the stars play out a story that so many religions follow, and you can see how they might have been formed. It also explains so many things and makes a lot of sense imo.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

The belief in certainty annoys me. The movie is actually only challenging the idea that there are those among us who are certain that they know what the after world will bring.. 'if we don't behave a certain way". Sure he pokes fun along the way, but once you zero in on the message that is all he is saying... we don't know.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
imortal
+240|6674|Austin, TX
The proglem is not religion, per se, but mankinds ability (some would say need) to latch on to something outside themselves to believe in.  For those who are not particularly religious, we have the enviroment, global warming, conspiracy theories, and saving the animals to latch on to.  At the very least; I know there are more out there.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

Kmarion wrote:

The belief in certainty annoys me. The movie is actually only challenging the idea that there are those among us who are certain that they know what the after world will bring.. 'if we don't behave a certain way". Sure he pokes fun along the way, but once you zero in on the message that is all he is saying... we don't know.
yes but the ones who believe control our country for the most part.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6716|67.222.138.85
Manipulative editing aimed at a closed-minded audience. They managed to make a movie that solidified the positions of the religious and the areligious by editing the religious to look like pricks and giving head-douchenozzle Maher the mic.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5605|Vacationland

Dauntless wrote:

I thought religulous was more of a comedy than an actual documentary, but it was good none the less. Without wanting to turn this into a thread about conspiracy theorys, I thought Part 1 of Zeitgeist was a lot more interesting than religulous. I'm just talking about the first bit, nothing to do with 9/11. Where they explain how the stars play out a story that so many religions follow, and you can see how they might have been formed. It also explains so many things and makes a lot of sense imo.
Yeah part 1 of Zietgeist was good, but it's nearly gotten my killed a couple times >_> How was I suppose to know one of my friends was a fanatical Christian.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Manipulative editing aimed at a closed-minded audience. They managed to make a movie that solidified the positions of the religious and the areligious by editing the religious to look like pricks and giving head-douchenozzle Maher the mic.
so i am closed minded?  i went to 12 years of catholic school.
Flaming_Maniac

usmarine wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Is there really any better way to be closed-minded than to be spurned from the opposing view? Warranted closed-mindedness granted, but the same sentiments nonetheless.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Is there really any better way to be closed-minded than to be spurned from the opposing view? Warranted closed-mindedness granted, but the same sentiments nonetheless.
my view comes from traveling this globe and seeing the sheer pain that religion causes...not fixes.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6008|The Mitten
You know, i think the better question is who is worse:
The religion itself,
or
the people who act in the name of the said religion?
EE (hats
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6725
I still believe...it couldn't hurt...lol
  I still don't know why people get so upset about religion though... If it gives comfort to some people and they aren't killing or hurting you because you don't believe(and if a religion involves killing non believers...Christian/Muslim/Hindu or whatever...than it isn't a religion anymore)...  than who cares? 
     pity the people that find peace and solace in religion... and enjoy the fact that you dont need it...  and this is not directed at anyone here...  just my thoughts...
Love is the answer
Flaming_Maniac

usmarine wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

usmarine wrote:

my view comes from traveling this globe and seeing the sheer pain that religion causes...not fixes.
Which is fine, and you could still hold that view and think the movie is shit.

It's not like I'm a religious guy haha. A movie made for the express purpose of making one side look bad without having a snowball's chance in hell of actually changing anyone's mind however I have no sympathy for.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

I don't think anyone saw that movie and said.. OH.. now I understand. It was most likely just entertainment for those who already had a fixed position.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac

Kmarion wrote:

I don't think anyone saw that movie and said.. OH.. now I understand. It was most likely just entertainment for those who already had a fixed position.
like I said
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Morpheus wrote:

You know, i think the better question is who is worse:
The religion itself,
or
the people who act in the name of the said religion?
Interpretation I guess. There are some who are led into believing their soul would be better off by going on missions and helping those who are in desperate need. Then there are those who start wars in the name of religion.

Not saying you need religion to lead a moral life. Just that we tend to ignore the good that comes from it also.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

like I said
Do you think this movies purpose was changing anyone's mind? Or did you just say that for shits and giggles?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac

Kmarion wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

like I said
Do you think this movies purpose was changing anyone's mind? Or did you just say that for shits and giggles?
I said it because I had already said:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Manipulative editing aimed at a closed-minded audience.
Why anyone would want to be pandered to I don't understand.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

like I said
I said it because I had already said:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Manipulative editing aimed at a closed-minded audience.
Why anyone would want to be pandered to I don't understand.
Wise cracking comedians.. entertainment. .. so they can say in their heads..oooh burn/1!
Xbone Stormsurgezz
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6635|Canada

usmarine wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

same here. growing up in the belief made me atheist. religion is bullshit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX
Religion has some uses, mainly providing a code of conduct for people to live by.
Faith, not so sure about that - its a personal thing.

The separation of church and state is very important, as is preventing bigots foisting their views on others, or letting one group think they are better than another because 'their god said so'.

usm wrote:

i went to 12 years of catholic school.
Explains a few things.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-03-13 23:36:34)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Reciprocity
+721|6589|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

the insistence that i need to be open-minded when considering the vestigial spirituality of ancient, primitive people, that's what annoys me.  these people didn't understand simple things like electrical storms or basic physiology and billions of humans stilll relegate themselves to these flocks, absolved of any critical thinking or new ideas.  as an athiest, my biggest hope is that in another 2000 years, human being will have an even greater understanding of the universe and marvel at our own primitive, but passionate, curiosity.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6546|Long Island, New York
I netflix'd it the other week. Was a pretty good movie.

I'm not religious but I do believe in God. And that's really what Maher's against. Not the belief in God, but organized religion.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6534|South Florida
As a professional atheist (laugh its a joke) i believe that there are good things and bad things about religion. They are as follows:

The bad:
Leaders of the world make choices that effect the people he was elected to oversee.
The plain fact that an elected leader of the world believe's a wizard created everything.
Most epic battles of the world have been wages because my god is better then yours.
Religion being taught at school as if it were fact, simply because of personal opinion.
The lack of evolution being taught for fear it makes too much sense
The lack of teaching kids to think for themselves, make their own decisions about life, instead they are told what to believe in which is fundumentally wrong.

The good:
While i do believe morality is a characteristic of advanced animals, i feel a belief in god holds family's together and keeps people moral for fear of hell.
15 more years! 15 more years!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6509|so randum
don't get the wizard one.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard