Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261
Interesting read .

Age of Steam
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

"We even sell games to somebody in‭ ‬Antarctica.‭"

Last edited by Flecco (2009-03-10 08:40:08)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6181|Canada

Flecco wrote:

"We even sell games to somebody in‭ ‬Antarctica.‭"
wat
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6757|Cambridge (UK)
This is so last month.

(Got this months Edge today - 10 days early - Edge sub FTW )
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6427
I wish the other digital distribution platforms were more viable. I've used EA Link maybe twice and you don't keep your games forever like steam, just one year or 5 if you spend an extra £3. Good old games has a nice idea but lacks a big enough catalogue to get me interested. Steam has come a long way from being universally hated but I'd hate for them to keep the monopoly they currently have over digital distribution.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

What irks me is that even though I know that a total monopoly would be terrible, I really don't want to have to open 5 different xfire/steam/EALink/Games for Windows LIVE style programs just to be able to play my games.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Steam has come a long way from being universally hated but I'd hate for them to keep the monopoly they currently have over digital distribution.
Agreed. I love Valve and Steam but without competition, prices will go up (already the case really) and they'll be less aggressive getting more games and services on board.

Competition is always good

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-03-10 09:20:21)

Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6427

Flecco wrote:

What irks me is that even though I know that a total monopoly would be terrible, I really don't want to have to open 5 different xfire/steam/EALink/Games for Windows LIVE style programs just to be able to play my games.
With EA Link/Good old games you don't have to open any app to play your game. I've never used good old games but with EA link you just download through the app and you can play it freely without the app after that.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6757|Cambridge (UK)

Fat_Swinub wrote:

I wish the other digital distribution platforms were more viable. I've used EA Link maybe twice and you don't keep your games forever like steam, just one year or 5 if you spend an extra £3. Good old games has a nice idea but lacks a big enough catalogue to get me interested. Steam has come a long way from being universally hated but I'd hate for them to keep the monopoly they currently have over digital distribution.
Agreed.

Flecco wrote:

And agreed.

I have a feeling we'll start to see the different digital publishers joining forces somehow - to both compete with and support each other.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Steam has come a long way from being universally hated but I'd hate for them to keep the monopoly they currently have over digital distribution.
Agreed. I love Valve and Steam but without competition, prices will go up (already the case really) and they'll be less aggressive getting more games and services on board.

Competition is always good
As mentioned somewhere... Maybe the article, I think it was the comments though, the only prices Valve sets is the prices for in-house products.

Otherwise it's up to the other publishers who own the rights. Apparently Valve take a 1/3rd commission on sales with some, others have negotiated different systems of splitting profits.

What irks me is here in Aus we are slaves to the exchange rate. Not worth buying games on steam now because the Aussie dollar is shit. In 2007 most of the stuff on there cost me nearly half what it does now.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261
Well while it's true that Valve only sets the Valve game prices, thats not where it ends.

The whole mess with the European pricing (where it went up by about 40% or something overnight for the whole of the EU was all Valve. They told publishers what they were doing, and had a suggested price for everything (where they basically replaced the $ sign with a euro sign) and allowed the publishers to change it if they wanted.

Of course few did because since Valve were adopting the new huge price increase, everyone else decided they could get away with it too. So because of Valve, Steam went from a choice to customers in the EU to a massively overprised store overnight. They keep saying publishers can choose lower prices if they want but now the standard is set, and they managed to alienate a huge chunk of the EU in the process.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-03-10 09:38:38)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6757|Cambridge (UK)

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Well while it's true that Valve only sets the Valve game prices, thats not where it ends.

The whole mess with the European pricing (where it went up by about 40% or something overnight for the whole of the EU was all Valve. They told publishers what they were doing, and had a suggested price for everything (where they basically replaced the $ sign with a euro sign) and allowed the publishers to change it if they wanted.

Of course few did because since Valve were adopting the new huge price increase, everyone else decided they could get away with it too. So because of Valve, Steam went from a choice to customers in the EU to a massively overprised store overnight. They keep saying publishers can choose lower prices if they want but now the standard is set, and they managed to alienate a huge chunk of the EU in the process.
Having an independent currency FTW.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6427
That's another thing I really hated about steam for a long time, the lack of localised currency and therefore no inclusion of tax in the price and having to charge extra to pay in USD. EA link used pound sterling from day 1, steam took about four years or so.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261
The CEO of Stardock just posted a short piece on the same site saying that while Steam is ahead just now, there's nothing to say it'll stay there. He also says what we've been saying, competition is good and will make Steam better.

Why the "Age of Steam" May not last
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6427
Don't you think it's a bit biased having a six page article that's pro steam and a one page article that's anti-steam?
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6393|dm_maidenhead
Because steam is over 6 times as good than it is bad, amirite?
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261
Well I wouldn't say it's biased. After all the original article was about Steam, and the 'comeback' one was just a short statement from a competitor.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Stardock is publishing the dota game made by the supcom bunch.

Oh the humanity... The community for that game will probably be terrible.
Defiance
+438|6662

I do hope Steam stays alive, I've had nothing but good service from it's launch to now; of course there were bugs, but none that caused me to quit playing the games (looking at you, BF2). Then again, I mostly use it for buying/playing Valve games. Most others I've bought boxed.

My aversion to download services is if the company goes under and the registry servers fall. What then? Well, Valve has set a service precedent that let's me comfortably believe they'll have a pillow for that.

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Don't you think it's a bit biased having a six page article that's pro steam and a one page article that's anti-steam?
I don't believe that article is explicitly anti-steam. The author's main point is that Steam has no real competition at the moment. There are other services, but none with a solid platform that Steam has established. All he finally says is that it's a matter of time for the competition to kick up and the monolithic Steam to be challenged. He hints at annoyances with Steamworks, but it is no focus of the article.

Last edited by Defiance (2009-03-10 22:14:17)

TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5896|CA

Defiance wrote:

Then again, I mostly use it for buying/playing Valve games. Most others I've bought boxed.
Exactly, the only game I've purchased from Steam has been Counter-Strike: Source, every game I've bought has been boxed (CoD4, BF2 (well, obviously), Far Cry 2, etc.)

What's also interesting is how much the console industry is using the "download-to-play" features, and the $5 expansion pack here, or $.99 add-on pack here (looking at you, EA. ) really lets them milk every last dollar/pound/euro/etc. out of a game.   It's becoming sad, where certain game features have to be purchased for any additional charge.  This happened to me when I bought Skate. 2, if I wanted more video editing controls and features, I had to pay $5.  I payed $60 for the game, and now they want me to pay even more, for features that already should be in the game?  Bullshit.

Last edited by TopHat01 (2009-03-10 22:48:26)

Defiance
+438|6662

TopHat01 wrote:

What's also interesting is how much the console industry is using the "download-to-play" features, and the $5 expansion pack here, or $.99 add-on pack here (looking at you, EA. ) really lets them milk every last dollar/pound/euro/etc. out of a game.
Episodic content and micro-purchases. Lots of it on consoles, less on PC unless you count games like Gunbound. Holy shit is that game stupid if you pay for it...
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6315|Graz, Austria
What really pisses me off with Steam/Valve was the switch in the pricing system not too long ago.
Previously, all prices where in US$, which meant we Europeans could get the games cheaper than retail according to the respective exchange rates.

But suddenly they switched to € pricing, which suddenly means that 1$ = 1€.
What were they thinking?
Cheaper prices are actually the prime vantage of digital distribution, because it omits retail distributors and the price for packaging/shipping.

But now it costs me more to download via Steam than importing from say the UK.
I now have the decision between a high-priced crappily localised retail version, a high-priced Steam version, or import a cheaper version and wait for the post to arrive.

What a Brave New World!
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6427
For us in the UK it worked out the best because we pay tax with our prices and no extra charge on our CC to covert prices to USD.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261
It really did. We got a slight reduction across the board basically, with a few anomalies here and there. It worked out great. But th e EU pricing was just a huge mess.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6335

globefish23 wrote:

What really pisses me off with Steam/Valve was the switch in the pricing system not too long ago.
Previously, all prices where in US$, which meant we Europeans could get the games cheaper than retail according to the respective exchange rates.

But suddenly they switched to € pricing, which suddenly means that 1$ = 1€.
What were they thinking?
Cheaper prices are actually the prime vantage of digital distribution, because it omits retail distributors and the price for packaging/shipping.

But now it costs me more to download via Steam than importing from say the UK.
I now have the decision between a high-priced crappily localised retail version, a high-priced Steam version, or import a cheaper version and wait for the post to arrive.

What a Brave New World!
^this. The only reason I´d buy a download is it being cheaper. Or coming with a nice bonus (like the Hawx pre-purchase offer). Otherwise I´ll stay with my UK import.
Cause most games in german are just localised horribly. Like horribly. Seems us germans are only good for speaking the damn nazis in games

Last edited by Sisco10 (2009-03-12 01:55:17)

https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard