Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, has said Iran will be invited to a proposed international conference on the future of Afghanistan.

Clinton suggested the meeting at a gathering of Nato foreign ministers in Brussels on Thursday.

She said the conference involving “all the stakeholders and interested parties” should take place by the end of the month.

Clinton emphasised that all of Afghanistan’s neighbours would be asked to attend the conference.

“If we move forward with such a meeting, it is expected that Iran would be invited as a neighbour of Afghanistan,” Clinton told a news conference in Brussels.
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/ameri … 18590.html

We've actually already had low level meetings before with them on a range of issues.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6502|N. Ireland
What they plan to accomplish here is beyond me - but if they do meet and it goes somewhat smoothly, it'll look like a respected 'victory' for the US. Nice move - although I wonder how much of this was actually Clinton's idea.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

wow.

last time the US talked with an afghanistan neighbor about war issues.....it didnt turn out too well.

(pakistan for those whose history books started in 2001)
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

I think it is incredibly ludicrous that we (the US) and a handful of chosen few are going to decide the fate of Afghanistan.  Bottom line is that the US is the one calling the shots.  We're (US) like the Godfather...you can meet with us and express your concerns but in the end we have the final say.  At least it is a step toward normalized relations with Iran though, which can only be a good thing.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6538|Global Command
I can't see how it is us calling the shots. imo it is the fanatics and sharia law that is taking over, and I really think that is a threat to the sultans way of life as they enjoy a high level of debauchery.

The continous stalemate regarding Iran is getting us nowhere. I say talking is good before we bomb them, at least then we can say, we tried.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I think it is incredibly ludicrous that we (the US) and a handful of chosen few are going to decide the fate of Afghanistan.  Bottom line is that the US is the one calling the shots.  We're (US) like the Godfather...you can meet with us and express your concerns but in the end we have the final say.
people thought that about the 80's, but the saudis pulled the strings in afghan...not the US
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5759|شمال

usmarine wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I think it is incredibly ludicrous that we (the US) and a handful of chosen few are going to decide the fate of Afghanistan.  Bottom line is that the US is the one calling the shots.  We're (US) like the Godfather...you can meet with us and express your concerns but in the end we have the final say.
people thought that about the 80's, but the saudis pulled the strings in afghan...not the US
Not the saudi rulers, but saudi millionaires sure..
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

Beduin wrote:

well...... how do you mean?  the saudis were involved big time.  prince turki played a huge role, not to mention pakistan which played the biggest role.

Last edited by usmarine (2009-03-06 17:47:07)

destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6635|Canada
Canada/NATO has actually been calling the shots in afganistan for some while now i believe
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6683|Canberra, AUS

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Canada/NATO has actually been calling the shots in afganistan for some while now i believe
Officially, yes. In reality, not really.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6635|Canada

Spark wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Officially, yes. In reality, not really.
WHAT?! aww dammit, for once i thought Canada mattered... sigh... i should know better
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Are you sure you want that credit?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England
Nobody is calling no shots in Afghanistan, that's partly why it's such a mess. From what I've seen, each country is pretty much left on their own to defend their own slice of the country. There isn't much integration and it's each guy and his own slice of pie...for the most part...
rdx-fx
+955|6600

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Every major world power has tried to "decide the fate of Afghanistan", going back for at least the last 3000 years.  By an accident of geography, and an accumulation of various historical factors, it's a strategic location. 

It's also a shithole with an amazing ability to suck up men, machines, money, and the best of intentions with little to show for the efforts.  Ask the Soviet Union Russians.

We aren't in Afghanistan to make it an American colony.  We're there to keep the Taliban, Al Quaeda, and others from taking advantage of the poppy field cash-crops and abundance of natural, defensible hiding/training locations.

America isn't in the business of building British-style Empire.  We already have all of the land we need, from the arctic north of Alaska, to the deserts of Arizona, and everything in between.  We didn't annex Japan or Germany after WW-2, did we?  Occupied and helped rebuild into a friendly democracy, yes - annex, no.

We do, however, have a penchant for fighting our wars in everyone else's back yard, rather than our own.
We also have a particular reputation for blundering into countries, with no exit strategy and no awareness of the indigenous culture.

Would be refreshing to get blamed for the things we actually do, rather than the modus operandi of other historical nations.
We're assholes, yes.  But we're American assholes - not British Empire, not Soviet Bloc, not Chinese Communist... we have a flavor all our own.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

At least it is a step toward normalized relations with Iran though, which can only be a good thing.
But is Iran quite worth having normalized relations with quite yet.  They're still one of the major sources of Shia weaponry, munitions, and training in Iraq.  We (the USA) screwed up, and didn't keep the Shia from getting revenge on the Iraqi Sunni in the power vacuum after 2003 ... and now the Sunni are joining Al Quaeda, out of desperation (protection, money, security of family, sense of purpose, etc).

(And, as an aside, "normalized relations" sounds like something Bill Clinton would have with an intern...)
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

Mekstizzle wrote:

Nobody is calling no shots in Afghanistan, that's partly why it's such a mess. From what I've seen, each country is pretty much left on their own to defend their own slice of the country. There isn't much integration and it's each guy and his own slice of pie...for the most part...
thats what happened in the 80's..... no reason to change now
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6635|Canada

rdx-fx wrote:

We're assholes, yes.  But we're American assholes - not British Empire, not Soviet Bloc, not Chinese Communist... we have a flavor all our own.
i lol'd +1

Last edited by destruktion_6143 (2009-03-06 19:28:58)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I think it is incredibly ludicrous that we (the US) and a handful of chosen few are going to decide the fate of Afghanistan.  Bottom line is that the US is the one calling the shots.  We're (US) like the Godfather...you can meet with us and express your concerns but in the end we have the final say.  At least it is a step toward normalized relations with Iran though, which can only be a good thing.
This is largely because Afghanistan has been a festering shithole for quite some time.  They can barely govern themselves, and when they do, it's often with fanatical leadership.

Pakistan would appear to have similar problems, although their issues are more focused on general instability.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6673|NT, like Mick Dundee

Mekstizzle wrote:

The Aussie/Dutch sector seems to be doing okay.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|6003|Truthistan
^^^^^^^Agree with Turq

Afganistan is a 5000 year old shit hole just like the middle east. It keeps festering and they keep killing each other.
Its amazing that the west won't leave it alone. We're like a retarded kid that keeps touching the hot element on the stove. You would think that eventually we'd learn.

Everytime we go there they get better armed and more pissed off.

Maybe we can get the Taliban mad at Iran and they will forget about us for a while but I doubt it. If they let Iranians in they better check their trucks for arms.

Eventually we will all just start getting along or this conflict between the islamic countries and the rest of the world will come down to the west, Russia, China, Israel and India versus the Islamic countries in a genocidal fourth World War.
Turquoise
O Canada

Diesel_dyk wrote:

^^^^^^^Agree with Turq
Thanks 

Diesel_dyk wrote:

Afganistan is a 5000 year old shit hole just like the middle east. It keeps festering and they keep killing each other.
Its amazing that the west won't leave it alone. We're like a retarded kid that keeps touching the hot element on the stove. You would think that eventually we'd learn.
If they didn't have oil in the Middle East, we'd probably leave them alone, but hey, they'll probably run out of oil soon enough anyway.

Diesel_dyk wrote:

Eventually we will all just start getting along or this conflict between the islamic countries and the rest of the world will come down to the west, Russia, China, Israel and India versus the Islamic countries in a genocidal fourth World War.
Well, if those were the sides, I'd say the Islamic World would take a massive beating.  But you're right, these conflicts could eventually escalate.
Beduin
+510|5759|شمال

usmarine wrote:

Beduin wrote:

well...... how do you mean?  the saudis were involved big time.  prince turki played a huge role, not to mention pakistan which played the biggest role.
What I mean is that i can not imagine the saudi royal family will support anything that has AQ label on. I find it very hard to believe, cause they know that AQ wants the royal family removed. Not everyone in saudi is happy about the royal family's foreign policy, and some of those made sure the money will flow in afghanistan to defeat the collision forces led by US.
The same goes for pakistan. I can not imagine pakistan wanting powerful AQ and taliban as neighbours. I could imagine that some inside pakistan who is not quite happy with pakistan's foreign policy, pull their stings to hand over intelligence, and closed their eyes on the trafficking across border northwest of pakistan.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Turquoise
O Canada

Beduin wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Beduin wrote:

What I mean is that i can not imagine the saudi royal family will support anything that has AQ label on. I find it very hard to believe, cause they know that AQ wants the royal family removed. Not everyone in saudi is happy about the royal family's foreign policy, and some of those made sure the money will flow in afghanistan to defeat the collision forces led by US.
The same goes for pakistan. I can not imagine pakistan wanting powerful AQ and taliban as neighbours. I could imagine that some inside pakistan who is not quite happy with pakistan's foreign policy, pull their stings to hand over intelligence, and closed their eyes on the trafficking across border northwest of pakistan.
One of the more disturbing connections to terror and Saudi Arabia is Wahhabism.  Wahhabism is very influential in Saudi Arabia, and its perspective is very similar to Al Quida.   Osama bin Laden could be described as a Wahhabist.

I'm not sure exactly what sect of Islam the Saudi family is, but Wahhabism is certainly a major factor in their country.
Beduin
+510|5759|شمال

Turquoise wrote:

Beduin wrote:

usmarine wrote:

One of the more disturbing connections to terror and Saudi Arabia is Wahhabism.  Wahhabism is very influential in Saudi Arabia, and its perspective is very similar to Al Quida.   Osama bin Laden could be described as a Wahhabist.

I'm not sure exactly what sect of Islam the Saudi family is, but Wahhabism is certainly a major factor in their country.
They are so called whabies. If you ask them -all wahabies- they will say they are salafi. But still, they do not want OBL to win. It is against their interest .

Last edited by Beduin (2009-03-07 07:57:02)

الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Turquoise
O Canada

Beduin wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Beduin wrote:

They are so called whabies. If you ask them -all wahabies- they will say they are salafi. But still, they do not want OBL to win. It is against their interest .
True, Salafi is the more accurate term.  Still, many Salafis spread anti-Western propaganda throughout Western countries.  They specifically target young, 2nd generation Muslims in countries like the U.K. and Australia.  They are much of the reason for domestic terrorism in said countries because of the ultraconservative mindset they encourage.

So the question I have for the Salafis is, if they don't want Osama to win, why is their message so similar to his?
Vax
+42|5860|Flyover country
Beduin is right though, Bin Laden was exiled by the Saudis way back, and stripped of his Saudi citizenship...OBL was ( i believe) among those who wanted the Saudi royals overthrown.. Yes the big issue was US troops in the holy land, but those troops were there at the behest of the Saudi gov't 
There has been a long history of complicated political/religious struggles within Saudi Arabia, a lot of radical types disliked the Royals, but i think OBL was among the most extreme

...On August 2, 1990, shortly after bin Laden's return from Afghanistan, Iraq invaded Kuwait. Riyadh's subsequent decision to invite the U.S. military to protect the kingdom radically transformed the Saudi debate about the Western "cultural attack." Deployment of Western troops to Saudi soil fit the narrative of those ulema who said that Western cultural penetration of the kingdom was just a precursor to a Western military reconquest of the Middle East. To these young Saudis, the House of Saud was at best duped by the West and, at worst, complicit.
...From his Afghan exile, he issued "a declaration of war" and, in several press interviews, called for an armed struggle against U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia. He also claimed responsibility for the June 1996 explosions in Dhahran, which killed nineteen U.S. servicemen, saying they were a warning and a response to the collusion between the Saudi regime and the "Zionist-Crusade" alliance.[35] While he drifted apart from the mainstream Saudi opposition of the early 1990s, his emphasis on the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Saudi Arabia and his consistent criticism of the House of Saud reflected the concerns of Hawali and ‘Awda and made him merely a Saudi opposition figure.
quoted from here, an interesting read

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard