ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Ford says they can achieve up to 20 percent better fuel and 15 percent lower CO2 emissions, compared with larger displacement engines, without sacrificing power.
The new EcoBoost engine will get an estimated 25 to 26 miles per gallon on the highway and 18 to 20 miles per gallon in city driving, said Gary Johnson, Ford's director of powertrain manufacturing.
They deserve to go bust. They're miles behind European or Japanese manufacturers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/ … sBySection
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6519|San Diego, CA, USA
You're right, but in the process Joe and Jane Taxpayer will be paving their way with public money.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command
Bah, U.S. car makers get a bad rap; there are more models offering good fuel economy from Ford than there are from Toyota.

And 
3.5-liter, V-6
They're talking about a somewhat powerful engine being that economical.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD

ATG wrote:

Bah, U.S. car makers get a bad rap; there are more models offering good fuel economy from Ford than there are from Toyota
I'd rather have three Japanese cars to choose from with 40+MPG than five American cars to choose from with 20+ MPG
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command
Any one those Jap cars got a V6, slick?

Seems to be the key point.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6439

ATG wrote:

Bah, U.S. car makers get a bad rap; there are more models offering good fuel economy from Ford than there are from Toyota.

And 
3.5-liter, V-6
Yeah, American cars really sucked in the 80s and 90s but now they are almost at the level of quality of the Japanese and Germans. Not quite there but if their rep wasn't so hurt then more people would buy their shit then they would be able to make the shit better.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD

ATG wrote:

have fun making any use of that V6 in the DC area
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

ATG wrote:

And 
3.5-liter, V-6
According to a comment underneath the article:

The run-of-the-mill Honda Accord V-6 engine has 271 hp, gets 19mpg in the city and 29 on the highway.
No idea how true that is though. You don't need a 3.5l engine though.
The#1Spot
+105|6510|byah
I knew the ecoboost was just to attract media. The mpg rating is horrendous. A 370z makes the same mpg rating and it is a true sports car. The car is NA as well with 332bhp.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

It wouldn't annoy me so much if they didn't try to pass it off as being some kind of huge breakthrough.
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
i'd rather see them invest in a good 4 cylinder, which they used to have.  americans have this weird fixation with V configured engines.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum

Reciprocity wrote:

i'd rather see them invest in a good 4 cylinder, which they used to have.  americans have this weird fixation with V configured engines.
Yep.

Most of our euroboxes run on straight 4's or 6's.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6314|California

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

ATG wrote:

^^^

No one truly needs a V6 unless you do the following:

- Pull/own a trailer, heavy cargo, etc
- Actually offroad regularly
- Things like that general category of and necessities of needing a powerful engine

Otherwise, you don't. It's only Americas obsession with the big and powerful to make up for your small dick and insecurities. You. Don't. Need (generally). A. V6. My parents Nissan Muranos get, on average, 17-20 city and 20-28 highway. That engine is already more than almost everybody needs. Hell, my GMC Safari Van is plenty fine.

Last edited by xBlackPantherx (2009-03-01 19:40:23)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

....without sacrificing power
I assume that means any power. ATG seems to get the point.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5965|Truthistan

ghettoperson wrote:

Ford says they can achieve up to 20 percent better fuel and 15 percent lower CO2 emissions, compared with larger displacement engines, without sacrificing power.
The new EcoBoost engine will get an estimated 25 to 26 miles per gallon on the highway and 18 to 20 miles per gallon in city driving, said Gary Johnson, Ford's director of powertrain manufacturing.
They deserve to go bust. They're miles behind European or Japanese manufacturers.

17 city, 26 highway from an "eco engine"
That's BS my friend has a 2004 Mustang Mach 1 it supposed to get epa 17 city 26 highway. He swears he gets 29 or 30 on the highway and that's a high performance sports car.

Ford is touting its new eco engine that about the same or maybe even worse than a mustang mach 1, what's wrong with this picture. Why can't they build a more efficient engine. Hell all they would have to do is bring over some of the European diesel engines and their cars would be getting mileage in the high 30s or 40s. Ecoboost my a$$.

Edit: I just read the article, the fact that they are introducing direct injection gas engines is uber cool... there is a lot of hope that direct injection gas engines will be ultra fuel efficient as they are developed further. But this Eco Boost engine as it is now is still a turd when it comes to mileage.

Last edited by Diesel_dyk (2009-03-01 20:17:38)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

hybrid escalade gets better mpg in the city than a certain mini cooper model.

so, who is behind who exactly?

pimp car gets better millage then gay car.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
25-26 on the highway?

Incredible!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum

Diesel_dyk wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

That's BS my friend has a 2004 Mustang Mach 1 it supposed to get epa 17 city 26 highway. He swears he gets 29 or 30 on the highway and that's a high performance sports car.

Ford is touting its new eco engine that about the same or maybe even worse than a mustang mach 1, what's wrong with this picture. Why can't they build a more efficient engine. Hell all they would have to do is bring over some of the European diesel engines and their cars would be getting mileage in the high 30s or 40s. Ecoboost my a$$.
The fuel point is interesting, i'd never considered that.

Is our fuel generally better quality?

'Cause that gives more power, cleaner etc etc.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Diesel_dyk wrote:

Why can't they build a more efficient engine.
they can build a fuel efficient engine.  the problem is building a powerful, fuel efficient, low emissions engine that is economically feasible.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum

Reciprocity wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

they can build a fuel efficient engine.  the problem is building a powerful, fuel efficient, low emissions engine that is economically feasible.
The odd thing is Ford in Europe do it very very well. Ford Focus, Fiesta and Mondeo all spring to mind.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5965|Truthistan

FatherTed wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

The fuel point is interesting, i'd never considered that.

Is our fuel generally better quality?

'Cause that gives more power, cleaner etc etc.
I don't quite follow the question but

pro Diesel - diesel fuel has more potential energy, a diesel engine has much higher compression and diesel engines are run very lean compared to gasoline engines.

con Diesel - engines require more maintenance than gas engines and some say that diesel are dirty and smelly, but so are gasoline engines

muff on diesel -  new ultra low sulfur diesel makes the fuel cleaner burning but more expensive and the govts in the US and Europe are regulating diesel engines to be much cleaner.

The Ford Mustang Mach 1 has a gasoline engine. As far as a Ford Mustang Mach 1 getting the same mileage as an EcoBoost, that would be because the V8 in the mustang has a lot of torque and while horse power ratings are cool, torque is what you drive on. If you want to know your most efficient/ economical speed to travel in your car, just look at a graph of the torque for the engine that is in your car. Look at what the rpms are when the peak torque produced. That is when the engine is running at its most efficient. So when you are on the road you should try to run your car in a gear that puts you at that rpm or slightly below that rpm. For Example, my car is a 2.0 gas Jetta and I run at 75 miles per hour in 5th gear at abourt 3100 rpm, this engine produces peak torque at about 3200 rpm.

The reason why the eco boost engine underperforms compared to a big v8 is probably because the ecoboost engine is not producing enough torque [edit: or is producing its peak torque at rpms that are tooo low. That would cause the car to be driven at a point where the engine is welll past peak torque meaning that its not running efficiently.] The Mach1 v8 produces lots of torque, in fact that engine has torque curve that is almost flat so you can be running the car at peak torque at lower RPMs and still be at peak torque at higher RPM. so when you are cruising at peak torque, the car's engine is not being over worked and does not require as much fuel.

I hope your question was about one of those two things.

Last edited by Diesel_dyk (2009-03-01 20:39:09)

xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6314|California

usmarine wrote:

Which is still only 20 m/gal...

My brothers VW GTI Turbo, bigger than Mini and better engine and whatnot gets 30 m/gal
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6737|Cambridge (UK)

usmarine wrote:

Environmentalism is da bomb.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

FatherTed wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

The odd thing is Ford in Europe do it very very well. Ford Focus, Fiesta and Mondeo all spring to mind.
The Ford S-Max was the 2007 European car of the year. It's not odd... it's because that is what you are asking for. Not because you are some enlightend omg leik we are killing polar bears society. It's more to do with the fact you pay waaaay more for your fuel.

https://i39.tinypic.com/30iwawh.gif
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

ATG wrote:

I'm not sure if you are old enough to drive(and i dont mean that as a slight)
but 4 adults and the AC on in the summer... a V6 is a nice thing to have...

Also Ford is not asking for any bailout money as far as i've heard... They are ahead of the curve on making
efficient... good quality cars...
Love is the answer

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard