Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6839|Australia
one would think the bombs would win but a man seems to fall much faster than a bomb...

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image … 0181xu.jpg
http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image … 0248dj.jpg
http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image … 0265wm.jpg

has anyone else done this... i think i might try and catch one like that. see if it blows up if i hit it in the air
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6698|Antarctica
Yeah I've done it.
Aardcore
+60|6706|USA, Arizona
Hahahahahahha!!!!! Yes!!! Just, Yes!!!
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6693
In reality, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, all objects will fall at the same speed if wind resistance and external factors are equal. For example, a box full of bricks and a box full of down pillows will fall at the same speed, but the box full of bricks will hit with alot more force.

Then again the first time I saw a humvee push an apc over i lost all respect for Dice's concept of physics.
Maj.Do
+85|6745|good old CA
hmm never tried this
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6724|Uhh... erm...
Depends on the type of bomb, most bombs or explosives dropped from planes are designed to fall quickly and thus they have increased aerodynamics, human bodies on the other hand are anything BUT aerodynamic, so assuming that we are using a bomb dropped by BF2 aircraft, the bomb will fall faster, cause a stronger impact, detonate, and kill any animals/humans nearby. Humans will only kill any humans/animals they land on.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6693

Tetrino wrote:

Depends on the type of bomb, most bombs or explosives dropped from planes are designed to fall quickly and thus they have increased aerodynamics, human bodies on the other hand are anything BUT aerodynamic, so assuming that we are using a bomb dropped by BF2 aircraft, the bomb will fall faster, cause a stronger impact, detonate, and kill any animals/humans nearby. Humans will only kill any humans/animals they land on.
and themselves.
ZDRuX
+0|6697
Didn't you guys see the design of the bombs being dropped? Why do you think they have 4 pettals that open up? To slow down the descent of the bomb. This was used alot in vietnam I believe, the reason why you would want a bomb falling slowly is so you can fly extremely close to the ground and drop a shitload of these bombs without blowing yourself up and not being detected by radar.
|DL|Krokkieboy
+16|6669

Skruples wrote:

In reality, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, all objects will fall at the same speed if wind resistance and external factors are equal. For example, a box full of bricks and a box full of down pillows will fall at the same speed, but the box full of bricks will hit with alot more force.

Then again the first time I saw a humvee push an apc over i lost all respect for Dice's concept of physics.
That with feathers and bricks only counts for space and no gravity(or any kind of air resistance) and it would go on forever with same speed.

If you would throw a box of feathers and a box of bricks(same boxes) out of a plane,tower etc,
the box of bricks would hit the ground much quicker, because even when the shapes of boxes are equal , the total Newton the box starts with is much more than the feather one. Offcourse if both boxes have the same weight and shape they hit the ground exactly the same time.

Last edited by |DL|Krokkieboy (2006-01-31 01:16:38)

Barrakuda777
+86|6729|Somewhere near a shrub or rock

|DL|Krokkieboy wrote:

Skruples wrote:

That with feathers and bricks only counts for space and no gravity(or any kind of air resistance) and it would go on forever with same speed.

If you would throw a box of feathers and a box of bricks(same boxes) out of a plane,tower etc,
the box of bricks would hit the ground much quicker, because even when the shapes of boxes are equal , the total Newton the box starts with is much more than the feather one. Offcourse if both boxes have the same weight and shape they hit the ground exactly the same time.
Original poster correct, they WILL hit at the same time.... FACT!

Another quirk of physics is that if you fire a bullet (perfectly level) and drop a bullet they will both hit the ground at the same time regardless of horizontal velocity. Wierd eh?

Last edited by Barrakuda777 (2006-01-31 01:23:07)

Kr39
Be A Medic!
+2|6756|Austin TX
i have vids of skydiving into my bombs, both su34 and j10.  not hard at all, but kinda cool.  i learned about it when trying to skydive next to jet and hop in and out etc.
ownership10
+9|6725
only way 2 objects of different masses would fall and hit the ground at the same time is in a vaccum with both objects falling at terminal velocity i thought.....but i did sleep through most of school so i may be incorrect
Nuisance-Value
+0|6789|UK

|DL|Krokkieboy wrote:

I think you are getting mixed up with Newton's laws here.

|DL|Krokkieboy wrote:

This is false.

As Skruples  said:

All objects of any weight, neglecting air resistance, fall at the same velocity (meters per second). All objects falling to Earth accelerate at a constant acceleration of 9.81 meters per second per second. Which means that if starting from zero, they will match each other velocity at all times. A heavy object will accumulate more momentum (velocity*mass) than the lighter object but they will hit the ground at the same time.

That said. What ZDRuX makes sense. If you include air restance into the equation then you are able to slow objects down. i.e. a man with out a parachute will fall, so much faster than the luchy man with a parachute.
Nuisance-Value
+0|6789|UK
SOME ONE DELETED THEIR POST CONCERNING TEMINAL VELOCITY

Teminal velocity is different for different shaped objects.

Terminal velocity is when the falling objects wind resistance equals the force of gravity acting upon that object. So the object is in equalibrium. And Newtons 1st law states:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

So the object stops accelerating, and remains at its terminal velocity.

Last edited by Nuisance-Value (2006-01-31 02:44:18)

=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6826
http://media.putfile.com/Another-BATTLE … lip--bombi
Watch the whole thing.. kinda funny. the bombs vs human falling thing starts at 1:39
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6756

yeah i've had a video of this for a long time...

selfboom.avi
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6756

Nuisance-Value wrote:

Kr39 wrote:

i have vids of skydiving into my bombs, both su34 and j10.  not hard at all, but kinda cool.  i learned about it when trying to skydive next to jet and hop in and out etc.
Teminal velocity is different for different shaped objects.

Terminal velocity is when the falling objects wind resistance equals the force of gravity acting upon that object. So the object is in equalibrium. And Newtons 1st law states:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

So the object stops accelerating, and remains at its terminal velocity.
i apologize for a double post here, but i gotta say something.

terminal velocity is not caused from Newton's 1st law alone.

Gravity will constantly pull objects to earth and (theoretically) cause objects to move faster and faster as they approach earth. This acceleration is commonly accepted as 9.8m/s^2. However, at one point (according to your surface area, shape and orientation) the air pressure and drag generated below you becomes as strong as the air above you and that's when you reach terminal velocity, when you fall at a speed that doesn't change.

Of course, as far as I know, there is no regard to drag in BF2, so everything falls at the same speed. Techincally speaking, air does not exist in BF2. As shown gravity does, and I believe (note: believe) that objects accelerate in a relatively proper rate. No air resistance is shown, thus no drag, nothing. A physicist's dreamland.
Vic42
+2|6716|Sacramento, California

ZDRuX wrote:

Didn't you guys see the design of the bombs being dropped? Why do you think they have 4 pettals that open up? To slow down the descent of the bomb. This was used alot in vietnam I believe, the reason why you would want a bomb falling slowly is so you can fly extremely close to the ground and drop a shitload of these bombs without blowing yourself up and not being detected by radar.
Bingo. Give the man a cigar!

Also, since the petals slow the forward progress of the bombs, they land closer to the release point, improving accuracy.

Last edited by Vic42 (2006-01-31 02:21:40)

Nuisance-Value
+0|6789|UK

Coolbeano wrote:

[
i apologize for a double post here, but i gotta say something.

terminal velocity is not caused from Newton's 1st law alone.

Gravity will constantly pull objects to earth and (theoretically) cause objects to move faster and faster as they approach earth. This acceleration is commonly accepted as 9.8m/s^2. However, at one point (according to your surface area, shape and orientation) the air pressure and drag generated below you becomes as strong as the air above you and that's when you reach terminal velocity, when you fall at a speed that doesn't change.

Of course, as far as I know, there is no regard to drag in BF2, so everything falls at the same speed. Techincally speaking, air does not exist in BF2. As shown gravity does, and I believe (note: believe) that objects accelerate in a relatively proper rate. No air resistance is shown, thus no drag, nothing. A physicist's dreamland.
Some what you say is true, but not all of it. Please read.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/termv.html

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard