Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6685|NT, like Mick Dundee

Bull3t wrote:

Here's something, If light is the fastest speed then what about darkness. You think it comes as the sun goes down just as fast.

There's a logical question!

Nice joke.

You are joking right?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
13rin
+977|6499
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6173|what

I'm so fast, I can turn the light off to my bedroom and be tucked in my bed before it gets dark.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6621|132 and Bush

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mkxiii wrote:

it has nothing to do with the fact that we use light to see

at all
qfe

Also consider : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ryan
+1,230|6863|Alberta, Canada

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Visible light = small portion of the spectrum. Light = the entire spectrum.
Ah, ok.

Learned something new today, even though most people probably knew that already.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6786|Cambridge (UK)

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Visible light = small portion of the spectrum. Light = the entire spectrum.
I've always hated that definition of 'light'.

That makes radio 'light' too.

In fact, in a sense, by that definition of 'light' you could say everything is made of 'light'.
Ioan92
+337|5742
Light cannot be the fastest speed in the universe. Its stupid to think so.

If black holes can suck light; meaning that the speed of light is not fast enough to escape... There must be something that can be faster.

Don't forget Wormholes, Schwarzchild blackholes (Black hole connected to white hole). And all this string travel thing.

Also don't forget space lag, the faster you go = the more you go back in time (or is it)

Also, man will never know everything because there will always be new things discovered.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6173|what

Ioan92 wrote:

If black holes can suck light; meaning that the speed of light is not fast enough to escape... There must be something that can be faster.
Duh, gravity.
Ioan92
+337|5742

AussieReaper wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

Duh, gravity.
And I'm also sure there is something faster than gravity.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6647|UK

Ioan92 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

Duh, gravity.
Gravity travels at the speed of light ...
Ioan92
+337|5742

liquidat0r wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Duh, gravity.
Then why can a black hole suck light if they travel at the same speed?
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6786|Cambridge (UK)
Surely gravity doesn't move.

(unless I've missed summat recently, the evidence for 'gravitons' is becoming increasingly small)
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5704|SQUID
wtf is this nerd shit
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6647|UK
You can think of gravity as a ripple in spacetime. This ripple is said to travel at the speed of light.

It's not that light is being "sucked in" to the black hole. The point is that anything trying to escape a black hole would have to travel faster than the speed of light.

I don't really know enough about general relativity or quantum effects of gravity to explain it properly. Well, I could read up on it and explain it to you - but I don't want to and it would take a quite a while.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6173|what

liquidat0r wrote:

I don't really know enough about general relativity or quantum effects of gravity to explain it properly. Well, I could read up on it and explain it to you - but I don't want to and it would take a quite a while.
Excellent doco which I've managed now to find on youtube.

It explains it perfectly visually too.

edit: go to about 3:50 and watch onwards if you just want to see the juicy bits.

Last edited by AussieReaper (2009-02-27 04:47:40)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6173|what

liquidat0r wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

Duh, gravity.
I didn't mean gravity is faster, I meant light isn't the sole fastest speed, as gravity moves at the same speed. You might as well have titled this thread the speed of gravity.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6647|UK
RE: Video

Doesn't really explain anything about black holes, though.

(That guy's voice is really annoying.)
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6727|67.222.138.85
Black holes do not "suck" in anything. So far as we understand it, mass creates a curvature in space-time. If that mass is large enough, such as a planet, or a star, or a black hole, then the curvature is extremely great. Light does not change direction at all, it travels in a straight line on a curved surface. The only difference with black holes is that the curvature is extreme enough that light is not just "deflected" as we would say thinking in our poor three dimensional vector model as it is with a planet or a star, the gravity well is so steep that all light that passes within the event horizon falls in it.

We think that gravity most likely propagates in waves similar to light, but as Scorpion mentions we haven't found the particle that carries it (the gravitron). We believe that it may travel at the same speed as light, we do not know. I am pretty sure gravity is the force that we know least about out of the gravitational, electromagnetic, weak and strong nuclear forces.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6693|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
The fastest thing is one of em bullet trains in Japan aint it?  In the air its Superman or Santa even (same thing really); and underwater it's a Motorpike.
Ioan92
+337|5742

liquidat0r wrote:

RE: Video

Doesn't really explain anything about black holes, though.

(That guy's voice is really annoying.)
Black holes must be a big rupture that leads nowhere if I picture them with einstein s'theory

--------------o-----_O_--------- Normal space fabric with planets

------  ------- = Black hole?

if universes where like this...

-------_O_-----------------     ---------

----------     -------------_O_----------

------_O_--------------------     -------

It could mean black holes are getaways to other universes and white holes are what comes out of a black hole on the upper level.

Could this also mean that there is one central point of massive gravity at the very bottom of this "building floor" like multiverse?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6727|67.222.138.85
oh mah god more wild guesses than on the last thread
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6641|London, England
Even if it was you'd have to find a way to survive the "trip" which as far as I'm concerned would be pretty hard
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6173|what

Mekstizzle wrote:

Even if it was you'd have to find a way to survive the "trip" which as far as I'm concerned would be pretty hard
It would be pointless.

(well the point would be a singularity, but that was the joke. Explaining it doesn't make it a good joke, but I'm tired so there you go.)
MrAnderson
Ghost Town T90/Apache Whore
+99|6019|Aberdeen, Scotland

gnot<3 wrote:

MrAnderson wrote:

Gravity has power over light now?

What the hell kind of school did you go to?
I'm sorry, but are you a dumbass? gravity does EFFECT light...and sound.

learn ur shit b4 u criticize others...
You're right...I had assumed light always travelled in straight lines

And yes, I know a bit more about sound...doesn't change the fact light ain't a 'force' though
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6770

Mitch wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

hawaythelads wrote:

would we be able to calculate speed or distance without Vision?
depends on what you class as 'vision'
The eye picking up photons and producing a picture as it does today
Mitch I think that you would agree with me when I say:

If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one (NOTHING) around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Answer: No

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard