phishman420 wrote:

xp til i die
Pretty much.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
ElementalDragon
+6|5572

GCFC wrote:

there's gonna be a shit load of problems when it first comes out
.... are you serious?  have you used Windows 7 Beta?  It's already just as stable as Vista, if not more stable.... and i have zero issues with Vista as it is.  I'd probably still be using Windows 7 as my primary OS, but the fact that DaemonTools doesn't work on 7 yet made me go back to Vista.... but i still dual-boot with W7.

CrazeD wrote:

No it's not. I'd rather not support Microsoft for their shitty software. Plus, I don't pay for such ridiculously overpriced software
mmhmm..... this coming from someone who probably doesn't buy ANY software, or really any games.  Whatever.  I'm sure those of us who buy Windows 7 legally will love it to death, while you'll still probably be on the crap-tacular-in-comparison XP.
Defiance
+438|6673

ElementalDragon wrote:

GCFC wrote:

.... are you serious?  have you used Windows 7 Beta?  It's already just as stable as Vista, if not more stable.... and i have zero issues with Vista as it is.  I'd probably still be using Windows 7 as my primary OS, but the fact that DaemonTools doesn't work on 7 yet made me go back to Vista.... but i still dual-boot with W7.

CrazeD wrote:

No it's not. I'd rather not support Microsoft for their shitty software. Plus, I don't pay for such ridiculously overpriced software
mmhmm..... this coming from someone who probably doesn't buy ANY software, or really any games.  Whatever.  I'm sure those of us who buy Windows 7 legally will love it to death, while you'll still probably be on the crap-tacular-in-comparison XP.
There's always problems with OS's, even though W7 will launch a lot smoother then Vista did. Waiting for the first service pack may be overkill, but giving 6 months or so is completely reasonable. Vista/XP will still be supported, will still work fantastically, and the price on 7 will go down.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6551|UK

Where is the

I have enough problems with a ''finished'' OS never mind some bastard beta
Option?

Done for effect btw, no need to e-rape

<3
ElementalDragon
+6|5572
Defiance:  MS is pushing XP into Extended Support status soon....

http://www.computerworld.com/action/art … rc=hm_list

By Microsoft policy, mainstream support delivers free fixes -- for security patches and other bug fixes -- to everyone. During extended support, all users receive all security updates, but nonsecurity hot fixes are provided only to companies that have signed support contracts with Microsoft.
So yeah..... it'll still work, but won't really have anything else going for it than that.
mikkel
+383|6603

GCFC wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

No, I prefer waiting until my programs are mature, perhaps a year after the final release.
smartest post in this thread
why not wait for the end of the year at least?
The point of a release candidate is to test the operating system prior to general deployment. There's nothing smart or insightful about claiming that you want to wait a year to use your software when the question is whether or not you'll be participating in the pre-release testing of it.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

mikkel wrote:

GCFC wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

No, I prefer waiting until my programs are mature, perhaps a year after the final release.
smartest post in this thread
why not wait for the end of the year at least?
The point of a release candidate is to test the operating system prior to general deployment. There's nothing smart or insightful about claiming that you want to wait a year to use your software when the question is whether or not you'll be participating in the pre-release testing of it.
+1
Benzin
+576|6000
I'll be waiting on the retail version of Home Premium to get it.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

If I see even one Vista hater be among the early adopters of Win7... I'll come over with my shotgun

And waiting for at least the final release is smart. God knows what issues you might be getting.... be my quest to move on it as long as you don't expect it to be 100% stable and problem free.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
TravisC555
+118|6221|Cox Convention Center, OK
I will get it eventually, but will wait for the price to drop a little bit.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
Right now I have no problems with XP, I acquired Vista but it gave me problems so I went back to XP. I don't see why I need to get Windows 7, besides with an old PC like mines nothing would probably even be compatible, also driver issues for numerous other things. If there's still fucking driver issues and all sorts of shit with Vista, of course there will be for this, Microsoft don't realise that people are just about getting to grips with Vista then they release this which although it probably is awesome, probably has as much compatibility as a fucking Mac.
gnot<3
Leave blank to use forum default.
+45|5556

CrazeD wrote:

gnot<3 wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Why waste money on an OS to begin with?
hmm lets see, torrents are for poor people tbh. (except for music dl's )

inb4flamefest

2, cuz my buddy of mine that works @ a PC shop gave me xp pro for free

& 3, cuz im just cool like that, and I want to stroll up in bestbuy and be looked upon as a role model.
1. No it's not. I'd rather not support Microsoft for their shitty software. Plus, I don't pay for such ridiculously overpriced software

3. You're not cool for going to best buy.
1. good for you and your "morals" lulz...

3. gtfo? only a joke, but this thread is srs bizness, so ok...

Other than that, can't wait to my fresh copy of w7.
Brasso
+1,549|6632

i'd like to see more driver support but from what i tested it runs great.  i haven't tried anything but firefox on it though, really.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5931|NY/CT

ElementalDragon wrote:

GCFC wrote:

yes i am serious
yes i have used it
and no it's not as stable as vista
ive had more issues with it than i ever had with vista like how my sound doesnt work, or my mic
plus some other drivers dont work like for my mouse
so yea i know what im talking about
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6448|Chicago, IL
If I get a new comp, id get it with windows seven, but I wont pay to upgrade
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6314

Upgrade form Vista OEM to Win7 is free I believe.
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5931|NY/CT
but it has to have been purchased within some period of time
i think just this year

Last edited by GCFC (2009-02-23 15:25:11)

Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6686|West Yorkshire, U.K
I'll wait till they bring out a service pack.
The#1Spot
+105|6541|byah
The next time I will purchase an os is when hackers lose interest into tricking a computer that it has the most recent OS but in reality it is XP.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5545|Toronto
I'll likely switch within the next year, but for now my OS is more ghetto than tap water and sugar when you run out of kool-aid.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5906|CA

max wrote:

Vista suits me fine
Agreed.  I'd like to see the general response of the first time buyers of W7 before I consider a purchase.

Last edited by TopHat01 (2009-02-23 16:09:11)

ElementalDragon
+6|5572
The#1Spot:  well... they're not "hackers"... they're just creating skins for use with different Stardock apps and such.  Yes... they look nice, and are free (except for the Stardock app depending how you get it).... but they're not really productive, and don't really give you the same feel as the true OS.

GCFC:  Wow.... i never knew that the fact that the drivers for your hardware don't work on Windows 7 means that Windows 7 isn't STABLE!  If that's the only thing you're basing it on, then NO, you DON'T have any idea what you're talking about.  Stability = less crashes, less OS RELATED issues..... not outside, 3rd party software issues.  Saying Windows 7 isn't stable because your mouse drivers don't work is like saying Apple computers aren't stable because you can't take any piece of hardware you feel like using and throw it in and use it.  "Stability" and "hardware support" are two different stories.

My MX Revolution, GTX 295, and everything else work perfectly fine.  Did you try installing the drivers from Vista to use?  64-bit Vista drivers for 64-bit Windows 7, 32-Bit Vista for 32-Bit 7?
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5931|NY/CT

ElementalDragon wrote:

GCFC:  Wow.... i never knew that the fact that the drivers for your hardware don't work on Windows 7 means that Windows 7 isn't STABLE!  If that's the only thing you're basing it on, then NO, you DON'T have any idea what you're talking about.  Stability = less crashes, less OS RELATED issues..... not outside, 3rd party software issues.  Saying Windows 7 isn't stable because your mouse drivers don't work is like saying Apple computers aren't stable because you can't take any piece of hardware you feel like using and throw it in and use it.  "Stability" and "hardware support" are two different stories.
i've had 4 BSOD's so far and ive used it for a day setting it up
ElementalDragon
+6|5572
ok.... and those BSOD's were related to what?  you could get a BSOD caused by hardware drivers.... again not really MS's/Windows 7's fault.  And that doesn't really say that it's any worse than Vista.  Hell, Vista was known for having some serious issues even after it was released.... namely the one where if you had over 3GB of memory, you wouldn't even make it through the installation.  Don't think i've seen anything THAT major yet in Windows 7, and at one point i actually ran it for at least a month solid.  freakin LOVE W7.

Last edited by ElementalDragon (2009-02-23 19:48:58)

GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

I installed Vista with 4GB those days... only issue I have ever had is nforce chipset. I have total of 0 Vista issues and this particular install has seen more than 30 major hardware changes.

I MAY try it when Daemon tools etc. starts working but if I see one BSOD or performance loss I'm back to Vista.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard