Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6773|Noizyland

When pieces of shit like "Disaster Movie" makes over 31 million dollars I don't think Hollywood can complain that the internet and piracy is "killing" them. Maybe it makes it a bit harder for them to fund the next flaming turd that graces our movie screens, maybe it means that some films won't get funding and won't get made - but hey, maybe that'll mean they'll actually put some effort in to the ones that do get made.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6196|Winland

­
<-
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467
Hollywood is dead. And we did kill it.

However the murder weapon was not illegal downloading, it's just plain lol that anyone think that puts that much of a dent in the industry. It's not the idiot fag-wank-off-celeb shows, because actors are going to act so long as there is money to be made by acting, and nothing will change that.

It's the fact that so many people are willing to go see shitty movies. There. If people would find out whether or not a movie is good before seeing it, then the shit movies wouldn't get seen.

Like Ty said, Disaster Movie, which is tied for the worst movie of last year made 31 million. It would never get made if Meet the Spartans, the other shittiest movie of last year didn't make any money.

So all you need to do to save movies is stop watching the shitty ones.

<3
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6648|Washington DC

CrazeD wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Basically, 2008 produces a bunch of cartoons and some mostly CG movies ... entertaining, but not exactly classic stuff.  Hollywood needs a face-lift.

edit:  looks like I posted the same thought as KEN-JENNINGS.
Yeah, because I mean they actually found live dinosaurs to film with in Jurassic Park...no CG there.
In 1983, CG was innovative film-making accessory/technique... today, it IS the movie (or the reason the movie might entertain) ... merely a cheap ploy to sell tickets, and no different than how the old B-movie horror flicks used gore to sell tickets.

liquidat0r wrote:

I don't completely agree, Wall-E was extremely good in my opinion.

It is however true that other films you mentioned from 2008 are definitely good, but by no means ground-breaking.
Good is not really my point.  My point is, I suppose, innovative - there needs to be originality and creativity in Hollywood if it is going to draw my attention.  I don't care if it is a film-making technique, a story, or even an actor with some texture.  It just seems that the well of ideas is not in Hollywood.  Everything is computer generated, rehashes of old stories, and actors who are cookie cutter stereotypes.

I miss Steven Spielberg ...
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

OrangeHound wrote:

Yeah because Indiana Jones 4 was such a great movie.

/no
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5683|SQUID
you bunch of zipperheads....

hollywood is not dead there are still movies coming the fuck out there has alway been masses of horrible movies and a handful of good ones thats how the movie industry works and always has
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6577|Columbus, OH
I guess you can classify me as a digital-pirate mateys. Arggg!

Hollywood has other things to worry about...like the State of California.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

good.  fuck hollywood.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5697
The movie theaters are fuckin' expensive. I only went twice this year and that was too see the Batman movie and Wall-E(someone offered to pay for my ticket so...).

I know most movies are going to be a waste of time so I just look up the reviews and wait until that movie makes it to DVD then download it.

Make better movies=more people going to the theaters and watching them.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

AussieReaper wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

/no
Not to mention War of the Worlds....
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6648|Washington DC

AussieReaper wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

/no
That's really a George Lucas movie (though he directed it) ... it seems that I dislike most of what Lucas produces, except for the original Star Wars trilogy.

I was really thinking of the movies that Spielberg produced.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England
What was so bad about Indiana Jones 4, honestly. It was a good film, not a great film, but it's not like the others were fantastic anyway, they were just good films too.
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5935
I can't imagine being a celeb and having 30 newspaper assfu*ks buzzing around me...*pulls out .45 and aims for the crowd *bam* *bam*....*
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6536|Long Island, New York

Mekstizzle wrote:

What was so bad about Indiana Jones 4, honestly. It was a good film, not a great film, but it's not like the others were fantastic anyway, they were just good films too.
It really wasn't that bad. I mean, the plot was a little...far fetched (Aliens and surviving a nuke blast in a fridge? Er..) but that's to be expected from an Indy movie.

Kept me entertained atleast.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6565|England

Poseidon wrote:

But notice something about all of those films? Each one except for Avatar is based on something or is a sequel. That's the problem with Hollywood. It's not that a movie based off of something like a book is bad - there have been plenty of really good ones. Jurassic Park being a prime example. It's just that there's too fucking many of them.
Whilst I somewhat agree with that, heres a thought:

How many years have we been making movies? A century? I wouldn't be surprised if directors are running out of ideas for new movies and plotlines. We've seen it all before.

The last, truely epic film that I can think of, was Independence Day. Now THAT was a film.
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6625|Canada

The A W S M F O X wrote:

god another film about killing nazi's spare me
shut your mouth! watch the trailer. it looks funny, gory, and action packed! classic tarantino
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6625|Canada

Poseidon wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

It really wasn't that bad. I mean, the plot was a little...far fetched (Aliens and surviving a nuke blast in a fridge? Er..) but that's to be expected from an Indy movie.

Kept me entertained atleast.
the fact that it was NOT an indiana jones style movie. aliens?! ffs that is not right! had nothing to do with "religious relics" the first 3 had.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Well actually if you paid attention, it had to do with Ancient South American religion etc.. and how the Aliens were viewed as the Gods and shit like that, hence why the Crystal Skulls were protected or someshit I can't remember I saw it awhile ago. It was actually a decent storyline but some people couldn't get the Alien stuff out of their heads and for some reason even though they could comprehend all the other shit that was in all the other films, Aliens was just going "too far"

As for surviving the nuke blast, meh, it's not like the nuke blew up right outside the fridge, and at least they explained it with the "lead casing" or whatever it was. Again, I guess some people couldn't comprehend that compaired to Indy's other feats in other movies which were probably similarly unfeasable. People just like to bitch because:

a) everyone else is
b) they want to fit into that crowd
c) they think its cool
d) they think they're being smart and funny when they question the aliens and the nukes etc..
e) they can't accept that the only reason they liked the other Indy films was because they were kids when they watched those, and are now adults when they watched this one and so it naturally doesn't give them the same feeling

Fuck this, it's so easy to suss out people, I should become a Psychologist
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

destruktion_6143 wrote:

the fact that it was NOT an indiana jones style movie. aliens?! ffs that is not right! had nothing to do with "religious relics" the first 3 had.
And swinging through the jungle on vines with cgi monkeys was such a cop out to make it a kids movie.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

Mekstizzle wrote:

Well actually if you paid attention, it had to do with Ancient South American religion etc.. and how the Aliens were viewed as the Gods and shit like that, hence why the Crystal Skulls were protected or someshit I can't remember I saw it awhile ago. It was actually a decent storyline but some people couldn't get the Alien stuff out of their heads and for some reason even though they could comprehend all the other shit that was in all the other films, Aliens was just going "too far"
The Holy Grail plot line was more believable than Aliens, mek. Stop being such a fanboy.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
I'm just trying to make you guys realise that you're being stupid, I'm no Indy fanboy, I only ever casually watched the films
chittydog
less busy
+586|6834|Kubra, Damn it!

So these celebrities that are watching every step to not offend anyone, are these the same ones I see in the news every single day that are being arrested for DUIs and drugs, getting into fights, cheating on their wives/husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends, running dog fighting rings, burning down houses, raping people, molesting kids, wandering naked in public, spouting hate rhetoric and a dozen other unsavory things? Cuz if so, then yeah, it's definitely that fear of bad press and nothing to do with the millions (MILLIONS) of movies that are downloaded illegally every year.
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6218|Phoenix, AZ
I believe that hollywood is dead because of this fact:

You can make a shit movie, and advertise it, and most of the time you will make a profit from it.

Movie Gross's

Date Movie: $48,548,426
Epic Movie: $39,739,367 (Global: $86,858,578)
10,000 BC :$94,784,201 (Global: $269,784,201)
Step Up 2 the Streets: $58,017,783 (Global: 150,017,783)

People go to those movies, and the people that make produce them and the people involved make money.

Hollywood now tries to fling trailers and advertise everything at fast food restaurants hoping were going to cough up 9 bucks to go see a movie in the theaters. And they are successful with this, and until poorly produced movies with awful plots stop making money, Hollywood will continue to make shit movies...
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5683|SQUID

destruktion_6143 wrote:

The A W S M F O X wrote:

god another film about killing nazi's spare me
shut your mouth! watch the trailer. it looks funny, gory, and action packed! classic tarantino
ive seen it looks bland that guy from the office does not belong in action films
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6536|Long Island, New York

Snake wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

But notice something about all of those films? Each one except for Avatar is based on something or is a sequel. That's the problem with Hollywood. It's not that a movie based off of something like a book is bad - there have been plenty of really good ones. Jurassic Park being a prime example. It's just that there's too fucking many of them.
Whilst I somewhat agree with that, heres a thought:

How many years have we been making movies? A century? I wouldn't be surprised if directors are running out of ideas for new movies and plotlines. We've seen it all before.

The last, truely epic film that I can think of, was Independence Day. Now THAT was a film.
That's no excuse. The human mind can never "run out of ideas". It's the fault of lazy writers and producers who can't think of anything original themselves.

I mean shit, if they can keep popping out original Law and Order's (and new ones for SVU and CI as well) every week, they can keep making original movies!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard