Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6751|London

Flecco wrote:

More than 1 person in a spot > Sandman...

Seriously any scout using the sandman might be able to rape 1v1 but if there's 2 people there they die fast. I don't see how that's over powered.

Pretty much like an MMO's 'glass cannon'.
That's not true, a good scout can easily take out more than two people, not that I'm saying the sandman is overpowered, I think it's fine. I'm not even using it most of the time as I prefer the double jump.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6674|NT, like Mick Dundee

Dauntless wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Seriously any scout using the sandman might be able to rape 1v1 but if there's 2 people there they die fast. I don't see how that's over powered.

That's not true, a good scout can easily take out more than two people, not that I'm saying the sandman is overpowered, I think it's fine. I'm not even using it most of the time as I prefer the double jump.
Very situational. In general 2 people > 1 in team fortress.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
dtacs
say that 2 my face fucker not online
+126|5844|Australia
i like the force a nature, wish it did more damage at ranges though.

the red bull is a dream, being able to run past sentries is the best thing for a scout
https://battlelog-cdn.battlefield.com/public/profile/bf3/kit-icon-recon.png?v=3173239
Bevo
Nah
+718|6530|Austin, Texas

Flecco wrote:

Mmm, I disagree. I've run into a crowd of people, smacked someone with the sandman, put 2 rounds in his brain and ran off easily.

Regardless, it shouldn't be an instant win 1 on 1. The scout should excel at hit and run, skirmish combat, not find-some-loner-and-get-an-instant-kill combat.

God forbid you use it with a teammate (a sniper), and rape anything's face that dares to roam an open area.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Bevo wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Mmm, I disagree. I've run into a crowd of people, smacked someone with the sandman, put 2 rounds in his brain and ran off easily.
The answer is this. I make scouts a priority target now because they go after medics so much. So most groups with people who actually try kill the scout > Sandman... That answer your question?

Most seem to prefer to keep spamming at the heavy/pyro/demoman etc. Protect ze medic I say.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6784|Noizyland

Acreta wrote:

the red bull is a dream, being able to run past sentries is the best thing for a scout
It's not Red Bull! You want to get sued!?

I find it useful too. A shame that the sentries still push you around. I've actully found the energy drink most useful when I'm making a swift retreat - nothing worse than trying to make a clean getaway and being shot in the back.

Oh, you can't use the energy drink if you have the intel or if you're underwater. I learned that the hard way.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Sidsnot
Banned
+93|5571|Stoke, England

Ty wrote:

Acreta wrote:

I find it useful too. A shame that the sentries still push you around. I've actully found the energy drink most useful when I'm making a swift retreat - nothing worse than trying to make a clean getaway and being shot in the back.

Oh, you can't use the energy drink if you have the intel or if you're underwater. I learned that the hard way.
Me too

If there's a sentry gun in the intel room then the scout is still fucked
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477

Ty wrote:

Acreta wrote:

Yeah, the BONK! lets you GTFO real good. And by the time it wears off, you're usually in friendly territory.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6279
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s … p?t=815498
Interesting stuff. May as well quote the whole lot.

Email to Robin Walker wrote:

Hi there, Mr. Walker. Lately I've been pondering a few things in regards to some of the things that some communities within the TF2 playerbase have been, to use a light term, discussing. Since most of these questions are linked, I'll just keep them sort of interconnected.

There has been a quote that has been floating around for the longest time that has been attributed to various TF2 developers, or just 'Valve' in general, and that quote is 'we will not take control away from the player.'

Was this statement ever really issued by a Valve developer, or Valve itself? Is it part of your overall philosophy regarding TF2, or was it ever part of it? If so, what made you (the team as a whole) change your stance on it?

That statement alone has been brought up and quoted for everything from grenades to the medic's infection to unlocks starting with the pyro to the recent scout unlocks.

Also, in light of the recent weapon unlock program and the punishment doled out by Valve (that occurs every time the unlocks are released,) I was curious as to what you and your team are considering doing in regards to people's apparently violently negative reaction to weapons tied to unlocks? The achievements themselves aren't too bad but it appears that people really do not like having the weapon unlocks tied to them, but can't think of a better suggestion than to just automatically give them out for free.

What is your opinion on this? What is your reaction to the implied response from the players using the unlocker programs despite warnings and punishments?

Thank you very much for your time and satiating the curiousity of one of your players.

-Scott

Robin Walker wrote:

Hi Scott.

We’ve seen that passed around a bunch in the TF2 forums, but haven’t been able to remember where we’ve said it. It’s entirely possible we said something about the movement lessons we’ve learned over the years. That said, we’ve also learned we should never say never when it comes to game design, because there’s always some reason why it might be worth doing something we’ve written off in the past. We have found it’s dangerous to over generalize lessons learned from design we’ve shipped. TFC seemed to teach us that slowing someone’s movement down for 20 seconds wasn’t much fun for the person being slowed, but does that mean we should never slow players down? Or does it mean we can’t do it for long periods of time? Or maybe the method of delivery was the issue? If anything, it taught us that we still have a lot to learn about the ways that players can interact with each other, and that we shouldn’t remove large sets of options from the table yet.

In regards to the item unlocks, we were tied to the achievements in the past due to our backend technology. The update we released just prior to the Scout update, where we moved TF2 over to using our new item backend server, is the one we’ve been waiting for. With that shipped, we have much more control over item delivery, and we’ll be re-evaluating the way we give out items. It’s highly likely we’ll be taking a different approach with the next pack.

Feel free to post this on the TF2 forums if you think it’ll help some of the discussions.

Robin.
Excellent. Sounds like they might be dropping the awful achievement -> unlock system
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6411|dm_maidenhead

Email to Robin Walker wrote:

What's happening with the sandman?

Robin Walker wrote:

No more stunning
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6279
Not quite
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6444
Good news about the changes to how unlocks are acquired. Not so good news about throwing out the rule book. They've only made a handful of actual worthwhile unlocks to begin with (blutsauger, ubersaw, KGB and FaN). They should just look at what makes those unlocks good and model the rest of them off that.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6279

Fat_Swinub wrote:

made a handful of actual worthwhile unlocks to begin with (blutsauger, ubersaw, KGB and FaN)
Kritzkrieg!
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Good news about the changes to how unlocks are acquired. Not so good news about throwing out the rule book. They've only made a handful of actual worthwhile unlocks to begin with (blutsauger, ubersaw, KGB and FaN). They should just look at what makes those unlocks good and model the rest of them off that.
If they do that I want all the current unlocks done over with a fine tooth comb again then. In particular Natascha.

Yeah the slow effect is cool but how about a long range auto-cannon with 100 shots. Would have to work out damage with valve but have it fire a bit slower than the .50cals from BF2. For larger maps, make the heavy better over mid/long range but weaker in close range.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Fat_Swinub wrote:

made a handful of actual worthwhile unlocks to begin with (blutsauger, ubersaw, KGB and FaN)
Kritzkrieg!
Axetinguisher, BackBurner, Sandman, Natasha when it's not broken.

BONK would be good if it lasted longer.
Kez
+778|5712|London, UK
Best unlocks ever made on this game are the Blutsaugher, the Ubersaw, the Axtinguisher and the Force-A-Nature

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard