• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Holographic Veratile Disc - 3.9 terabytes disc storage anyone?
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6346

Just came across this on wikipedia and thought it was pretty cool:

wiki wrote:

The Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is an optical disc technology that, in the future, may hold up to 3.9 terabytes (TB) of information, although the current maximum is 250GB. It employs a technique known as collinear holography, whereby two lasers, one red and one green, are collimated in a single beam. The green laser reads data encoded as laser interference fringes from a holographic layer near the top of the disc while the red laser is used as the reference beam and to read servo information from a regular CD-style aluminum layer near the bottom. Servo information is used to monitor the position of the read head over the disc, similar to the head, track, and sector information on a conventional hard disk drive.

wiki wrote:

Such large optical storage capacities compete favorably with the Blu-ray Disc format. However, holographic drives are projected to initially cost around US$15,000, and a single disc around US$120–180, although prices are expected to fall steadily.
https://www.digitalworldtokyo.com/entryimages/Optware_HVD.jpg

Storage media is finally beginning to look science fiction-ish finally, pretty

Edit: forgot to include wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Last edited by Im_Dooomed (2009-02-16 12:31:36)

Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6433|Finland

DIE BLUE RAY!!!! I want my red&green lasers!
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5807|Catherine Black
Goddamn that's fucking cool.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6639|London, England
Yeah, remember reading about that. What's the read/write data transfer rate like on it, though?
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6346

Finray wrote:

Goddamn that's fucking cool.
its from the future!

Trekkies unite.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6346

Mekstizzle wrote:

Yeah, remember reading about that. What's the read/write data transfer rate like on it, though?
The HVD also has a transfer rate of 1 Gbit/s (125 MB/s). Optware planned to release a 200 GB disc in early June 2006, and Maxell planned one for September 2006 with a capacity of 300 GB and transfer rate of 20 MB/s[2] -- although HVD standards were approved and published on June 28, 2007, neither company has released an HVD as of January, 2009
1 Gbit/s doesn't seem like much, aren't SATA drives the same? Doesn't seem like they made much of an advance in that department

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

DIE BLUE RAY!!!! I want my red&green lasers!
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5807|Catherine Black

Im_Dooomed wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

The HVD also has a transfer rate of 1 Gbit/s (125 MB/s). Optware planned to release a 200 GB disc in early June 2006, and Maxell planned one for September 2006 with a capacity of 300 GB and transfer rate of 20 MB/s[2] -- although HVD standards were approved and published on June 28, 2007, neither company has released an HVD as of January, 2009
1 Gbit/s doesn't seem like much, aren't SATA drives the same? Doesn't seem like they made much of an advance in that department
125MB/s is quite fast though. I think my DVD writes at 24,000 RPM, which is about 30 or so MB/s.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6482|cuntshitlake

Pew pew!!

I'll check this again in 10 years

Im_Dooomed wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

SATA II is 3Gbit aka 375MB/s

Theoretically

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2009-02-16 12:40:40)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6586|NYC / Hamburg

meh. External HDDs and fast internet is superior
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6346

max wrote:

yes, so many people agree with this Google is pushing towards, whats it called again? Some kind of internet based computing where THEY store all your personal stuff via humongous servers and you can access it all online?
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6400|the land of bourbon

Im_Dooomed wrote:

max wrote:

yes, so many people agree with this Google is pushing towards, whats it called again? Some kind of internet based computing where THEY store all your personal stuff via humongous servers and you can access it all online?
until the internet is as reliable as my normal desktop computer, i'll pass on this 'cloud computing' concept.

btw, did you sleep yet?

Last edited by steelie34 (2009-02-16 12:54:47)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6346

cloud computing, thats it! I think there is more of a 'security cusion' when it comes to hard disc storage over this cloud computing concept as well. A fact many might find comforting.

Steelie, well I think i did sleep, ya it was yesterday, around 3 pm i went off for a nap...And woke up at 9 at night That was yesterday i think, right?
max
Vela Incident

Im_Dooomed wrote:

max wrote:

This has nothing to do with cloud computing. External HDDs are dirt cheap and are only getting cheaper. The internet is fast enough to transfer huge amounts of data quickly. Why go though the hassle of burning stuff to a write once disk?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
steelie34
pub hero!

max wrote:

Im_Dooomed wrote:

max wrote:

This has nothing to do with cloud computing. External HDDs are dirt cheap and are only getting cheaper. The internet is fast enough to transfer huge amounts of data quickly. Why go though the hassle of burning stuff to a write once disk?
wait, are you just talking about online backup?

@doomed, yeah, yesterday... lol insomnia much?  we emptied a few servers together...

Last edited by steelie34 (2009-02-16 13:08:29)

max
Vela Incident

No, not talking about backup at all

If you want to backup stuff just write it to a second HDD
If you want to transfer data somewhere else use the internet or an external HDD if it's too much for the internet.
If you want to buy a game/movie/whatever just download it and save it locally.

No real reason for using disks anymore. They're just a huge hassle
steelie34
pub hero!
i'm sure there are some enterprise uses for large capacity write-once disks.  it's a small niche for sure, but otherwise i totally agree with u.
JoshP
Banned
+176|5708|Notts, UK

max wrote:

If you want to transfer data somewhere else use the internet or an external HDD if it's too much for the internet.

fucking agree

a 3.9 terabyte disc would be cool...

....but entirely useless.
']['error.V2
Om nom nom nom
+48|5832
https://www.narutomania.com/gallery/data/1117/house-do-want_thumbnail.jpg
CrazeD
+368|6691|Maine

max wrote:

While I do agree, discs are handy for backup purposes. Sure you could just write it to another HDD, but HDD's are mechanical and can be easily damaged, whereas a disc can't really be damaged unless it is scratched or broken. If you drop it, etc, it won't hurt it any. Also, they are small and easy to store, easy to categorize, etc etc.

Having said that, I never use discs unless it is a game I bought. I don't like downloading games with like Steam and shit cause it's a huge pain in the ass. If I buy a game, I want a physical copy.
JoshP
Banned
+176|5708|Notts, UK

CrazeD wrote:

max wrote:

While I do agree, discs are handy for backup purposes. Sure you could just write it to another HDD, but HDD's are mechanical and can be easily damaged, whereas a disc can't really be damaged unless it is scratched or broken. If you drop it, etc, it won't hurt it any. Also, they are small and easy to store, easy to categorize, etc etc.

Having said that, I never use discs unless it is a game I bought. I don't like downloading games with like Steam and shit cause it's a huge pain in the ass. If I buy a game, I want a physical copy.
Maybe useful for small backups, e.g. an image of your O/S, but for backing up large amounts of files? Not practical at all.
CrazeD
+368|6691|Maine

JoshP wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

max wrote:

Maybe useful for small backups, e.g. an image of your O/S, but for backing up large amounts of files? Not practical at all.
How so?

It is a hard copy backup, not meant to be used often. If transfer rates are slow and such, big deal? Its only purpose would be to save your ass if something blew up. It might not even be the primary backup, but a backup nonetheless.
JoshP
Banned
+176|5708|Notts, UK

CrazeD wrote:

JoshP wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

How so?

It is a hard copy backup, not meant to be used often. If transfer rates are slow and such, big deal? Its only purpose would be to save your ass if something blew up. It might not even be the primary backup, but a backup nonetheless.
Because backing up my 500GB onto 4.7GB single layer DVD's would take over 100 DVD's. If each one takes, say, 10 minutes to burn and label, that's massively longer than it would take to just drag the files onto an external HDD, and masses more effort as well.

Also how the hell are you going to find the files you need out of 100 DVD's when you want to restore the stuff

Srsly, for large capacity backups, tape drives or gtfo. They're just as good as DVD's with respect to longevity, and much easier.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6433|Finland

if you have cheap 3.9TB HDDs around.... DO WANT....

edit: Technological innovations ftw.

edit2: its awsome they develope better and better stuff. Think about the image quality this allows for movies for example. Holomovies wooo!

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-02-16 17:37:00)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
CrazeD
+368|6691|Maine

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

if you have cheap 3.9TB HDDs around.... DO WANT....

edit: Technological innovations ftw.

edit2: its awsome they develope better and better stuff. Think about the image quality this allows for movies for example. Holomovies wooo!
Yeah, right as everyone upgrades their shit to BD, they have to turn around and get the next most expensive one....

Some things move too fast, tbh.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Holographic Veratile Disc - 3.9 terabytes disc storage anyone?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard