Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5787|Catherine Black
Don't scatter, concentrate your fire.

Inferno towers are useless until level 3, as are commands, temporals are only good at level 2+.

Meteors are nub cannons , A coupla cannons level 3 will take down any non-boss in one shot (almost), concussions are useless until level 3.

Check the youtube link I gave for some basic strats, and adapt them. That's how I learned anyway.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6434
Temporals I find pretty useful at level 1 but only if they're right behind other towers. Also wouldn't concentrating fire just make you more vulnerable to mass racers/seekers?

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Depends on the level. If possible I always find a way to get the aliens to go past a specific part two or more times to maximise the killing power of the turrets there.

Which level do you have in mind, if any?
Mostly the open ended ones where there are multiple paths and you have a lot of places to put down towers. As an example, focal point.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
I'd recommend getting good at the levels yourself before watching those vids. I only started watching them after I had Gold on all levels, because otherwise you're always going to want to do it his way, instead of making your own layouts.

I've adapted a few of his to get high scores too, but find it hard to think outside of the box after watching his. I always get the urge to just do what he did . I'm very happy with some of my own level layouts though

I always concentrate fire. I always have a few 'killing zones' and leave the rest as level 1 guns to herd the aliens into my kill zones. Level 1 temporals are fine. Something you may not think of Finray, is that it costs the same to make a new Temporal tower as it does to upgrade the current one. 2 level 2 temporals can cover a fair distance, and overlap so the 'bursts of slowness' happen more frequently, which is useful for the faster enemies .

It does let the faster enemies break through sometimes, but thats what heat based weapons and temporals are for.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-05-11 12:41:39)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I'd recommend getting good at the levels yourself before watching those vids. I only started watching them after I had Gold on all levels, because otherwise you're always going to want to do it his way, instead of making your own layouts.

I've adapted a few of his to get high scores too, but find it hard to think outside of the box after watching his. I always get the urge to just do what he did . I'm very happy with some of my own level layouts though
WOOHOOO HOOOOO

OWNED

By another 1.5K!!

I'm not at rank 69 for that level!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Oh Swinub, a level 3 Tesla at the exit will take out anyone away to leave with a core on levels with seperate entrance/exits.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
Teslas are completely useless
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Teslas are completely useless
They work nicely at level 3, put two of them on either side of the path. Takes a Crasher out from half health or so.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6434

Finray wrote:

Oh Swinub, a level 3 Tesla at the exit will take out anyone away to leave with a core on levels with seperate entrance/exits.
Hummm that's a good idea. Thanks.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
The problem with Teslas is that while they do a fair amount of damage as a 'last resort' Tower, they cost a hell of a lot, and the money would be much better off being spent at a kill zone where a different Tower could do damage constantly, instead of spending 1000+ on a tower that occasionally destroys one alien.

You know?

Maybe I should try and use them more often.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-05-11 12:55:33)

Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6434
I usually find that I set up a pretty solid defence but somehow one manages to get through on very rare occasions. A "last second save" tower would probably do well for me plus a lot of the time when I'm speeding up I forget to manage my economy and end up making some bad upgrade choices anyway.

Last edited by Fat_Swinub (2009-05-11 12:57:11)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

The problem with Teslas is that while they do a fair amount of damage as a 'last resort' Tower, they cost a hell of a lot, and the money would be much better off being spent at a kill zone where a different Tower could do damage constantly, instead of spending 1000+ on a tower that occasionally destroys one alien.

You know?

Maybe I should try and use them more often.
I only really used them on the divided levels, because it was so damn hard spreading your towers out evenly, so I put them at the end of both paths, as you said, a last resort.

Apart from that, they're kinda useless. Need a buff
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6574|London
The game's not rocket science.

Look at the map, even if it's open there will be chokepoints where you can concentrate fire into. On the later levels a little strategic blocking of pathways will make the aliens have to pass through your strongpoint multiple times.

Always upgrade towers. 1 700 point gun tower is better than 7 100 point gun towers (well at least I think so anyway).

Watch out for line of sight, towers don't shoot through each other so a nice way of wasting 700 points on a tower is by putting it behind another one where it loses like 30% of it's firepower.

I tried all the towers on the level each gets unlocked but tbh most of them are too expensive and a waste of a good tower position. 95% of my towers are gun towers, with one temporal in each strongpoint and maybe 1 command to inflate my score. 1 missile in the middle of the flight path will pretty much deal with air units for the whole level. For the last 10 waves or so a meteor with maximal coverage of as many of your killzones as possible will help deal with the spam. The temporals will slow shit down so the meteors actually hit.

Do what yoda said and play the game. Only finray watches video guides lol.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6434
I know the basic stuff I do just fine on linear levels but making your own paths makes it a fair bit harder at least for me. You sound like you do what I do which is gun turret spam with some temporals backing up. I only just got the game though so I still mix with infernos, cannons and the occasional meteor as well.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
Finray I just beat your Center of Power score by 2k points .
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Finray I just beat your Center of Power score by 2k points .
brb centre of power
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6529|Boston, MA
I still don't see why everybody just uses gun towers. I usually mix guns and cannons with a temporal in the middle and a meteor or two. Also for swin, the most important thing in the start is to just block paths first. Look for those choke points and block them the quickest way possible. Try to block any extra paths so they have to go in and out the same way so your guns can fire on them twice. Also, in case you were curious when blocking corners, just two diagnols will block, so long as the corners touch. I'll try to draw it out to explain it.

_ _^
|_|_|
|_|_|

Say you're at a corner and that ^ arrow is the only way for the enemies to get through that particular shorter path. You likely won't be able to put something in the top right corner. If you put a gun in the bottom right and top left corner, it'll block enemies because the corners are touching. I used to put the three towers in the corner but it is a waste of money so try to use that to your advantage when blocking paths.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
Btw in the OP there's a link to their site, and there's a few blog posts about how to effectively use certain towers. It's worth a look.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6459|UK
Lol this game is fun.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
Heads up, Defense Grid is coming to Xbox Live Sept 2nd, with 4 new maps and a bunch of other challenge modes for 800MS Points.

From Gamespy:

Hidden Path Entertainment's critically acclaimed PC game Defense Grid: The Awakening is now set to arrive on Xbox Live on September 2nd and will cost gamers 800 Microsoft Points ($10.)

This iteration for the Xbox 360 includes a ton of new features such as the Borderlands mission pack and over 100 unlockable challenge modes.

Defense Grid: The Awakening on Xbox LIVE Arcade features 10 different tower types that can each be upgraded twice. These towers all have unique tradeoffs that affect ideal placement, such as line-of-sight attack or ballistic trajectory fire; a large area of effect or damage over time; and minimum and maximum ranges.

Over the course of the game's 10 hours of story play, players battle 15 different types of enemies, each with unique capabilities and strategies, across 24 unique environments. To ramp up the challenge even more, Defense Grid: The Awakening now includes an additional 100 unlockable challenge modes.
The game has been built using Emergent's Gamebryo engine which has been used by the likes of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, Civ IV and Bethesda's Oblivion.
Hopefully we'll see the new stuff in the PC version too. The devs always said they'd go back to looking at the PC version once the 360 one was finished, and now it is. Time will tell .
Chou
+737|6790

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Heads up, Defense Grid is coming to Xbox Live Sept 2nd, with 4 new maps and a bunch of other challenge modes for 800MS Points.

From Gamespy:

Hidden Path Entertainment's critically acclaimed PC game Defense Grid: The Awakening is now set to arrive on Xbox Live on September 2nd and will cost gamers 800 Microsoft Points ($10.)

This iteration for the Xbox 360 includes a ton of new features such as the Borderlands mission pack and over 100 unlockable challenge modes.

Defense Grid: The Awakening on Xbox LIVE Arcade features 10 different tower types that can each be upgraded twice. These towers all have unique tradeoffs that affect ideal placement, such as line-of-sight attack or ballistic trajectory fire; a large area of effect or damage over time; and minimum and maximum ranges.

Over the course of the game's 10 hours of story play, players battle 15 different types of enemies, each with unique capabilities and strategies, across 24 unique environments. To ramp up the challenge even more, Defense Grid: The Awakening now includes an additional 100 unlockable challenge modes.
The game has been built using Emergent's Gamebryo engine which has been used by the likes of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, Civ IV and Bethesda's Oblivion.
Hopefully we'll see the new stuff in the PC version too. The devs always said they'd go back to looking at the PC version once the 360 one was finished, and now it is. Time will tell .
Bought it for the 360, it rocks!
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
I stopped playing this a while ago, Spidery do you have any scores over me still?
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
I've been playing it a fair bit recently and I have a beaten a few yes.

There was a patch a month or two again that fixed the Command Towers. Apparently up until that patch they all only gave a 5% increase in resources no matter what level they were. Now they give the correct 25%, 35% and 45% increase. So old scores on the last few levels are all now kinda reduntant. So definitely give them a go at least to 'catch up'.

But i've beaten a few scores on earlier ones as well .

Oh and if you play be sure to check out the new 'health bars' in the options. It's a nice added feature.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-09-06 15:18:24)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Will do.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
Someone on SPUF posted screenshots for the 4 new Xbox maps

Oatmeal wrote:

Here are screenshots of the four new maps:

Onslaught - 1

Forge - 1 - 2

Entanglement - 1 - 2

Infiltration - 1 - 2 - 3
Also, Echo, the community representitive has asked for opinions on the current maps so they know what people look for in a good DG map, so they can "expand" the game accordingly (that sounds promising. they havent forgotten about us ). Make sure to post any opinions.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-09-24 12:59:21)

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
Hey everyone, the 4 Xbox maps are now in the PC version as well for free.

Also, 8 new maps will be available to buy in April. Pretty cool, i've been wanting new maps for aaaaaaages.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2010-03-04 09:41:32)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard