notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6743|The United Center
I'm considering it.

It's weird. When I was a kid, I never moved. Not once. I lived in the same house until I was 17 and I went away to school. I moved out...and I loved it. I came back...and while it was nice to be home, I missed living somewhere else. The same thing happened when I moved to Austin.

So lately, I've been toying with the idea of moving again. While I love Chicago dearly and I'll always consider it my home, I just want to be somewhere else. I've considered living in LA and NYC before...but I don't think I really WANT to be in either of those places, despite knowing a bunch of people and having really good friends in both.

Lately I've been thinking of places like Portland, OR, Seattle, WA, or somewhere in NorCal, possibly near San Fran/San Jose.

Basically...I don't ask for a whole lot in a place to live. I want to be in/near a decent sized city while still being near the wilderness so I can go mountain biking/hiking when I want. Being near water (the ocean, preferably) would be nice too. Also, I really want to get a dog, so where I live should be pretty dog friendly and have a lot of places to bring a dog (beach, parks, etc...). And...the city should have a hockey team (which is why right now I'm leaning toward San Jose).

Chicago is just too expensive for what it is. I live in the city now and I'm having trouble justifying what I'm paying for rent. Seattle is actually more expensive than here, so Seattle might be out of it. Portland is a great city and it has everything...except the NHL.

So yeah. Anyway...opinions? Thoughts? They'd all be appreciated.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6735|Toronto | Canada

Toronto!
Not as warm, but we have all the other stuff, including water and beaches. Plus the NHL
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
Near San Fran, San Jose

I only spent about 4 weeks there a few years back, but the place is just beautiful. Really nice people too.

Stunning coastline, terrain, wildlife etc etc

Last edited by FatherTed (2009-02-03 15:48:51)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Toronto!
Not as warm, but we have all the other stuff, including water and beaches. Plus the NHL
I lived in Canada for a while, and yeah, I did really love it up there.  It's just too much hassle to move up there unless you already have a job up there or you're marrying a Canadian.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

FatherTed wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Near San Fran, San Jose

I only spent about 4 weeks there a few years back, but the place is just beautiful. Really nice people too.
It's actually one of the few big cities I've never been to in the US...but I've heard nothing but good things about it.  The positive is that my job could transfer me out there.  The negative is that it's super expensive, I know NO ONE there, and I don't know what neighborhoods are the safe/good ones to live in.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

ThomasMorgan wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Near San Fran, San Jose

It's actually one of the few big cities I've never been to in the US...but I've heard nothing but good things about it.  The positive is that my job could transfer me out there.  The negative is that it's super expensive, I know NO ONE there, and I don't know what neighborhoods are the safe/good ones to live in.
Not sure about neighbourhoods, but my family live across the bay (oakland?) and it seemed very safe and nice etc
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6390|The Gem Saloon
i married a canadian.

pr0tip; dont do it

out of all the places you listed, portland is by far my fav.

but i wouldnt live anywhere else besides st louis or maui, so im kinda weird.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York
San Francisco is nice if you can stand the gays and ultra-liberals.

San Jose's probably your best bet. Awesome hockey team (who's only lost twice at home this season!), beautiful scenery and a generally nice location. Weather's fantastic from what I hear as well.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/HP_Pavilion_%28angle%29.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/AlumRockViewSiliconValley_w.jpg

San Diego's another good location as well, plus you've got the Chargers, Padres and aren't too far away from the Kings/Lakers/Dodgers/etc.

It's funny...you live in the city and want to live in suburbia (from what I've gathered), I live in suburbia and want to live in the city.

Last edited by Poseidon (2009-02-03 15:57:12)

CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6504

Parker wrote:

i married a canadian.

pr0tip; dont do it

hawaii is too expensive to live in, st. louis would be cool tho
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6571|London
san fran and san jose are pretty expensive by american standards (so I'm told), not sure how they stack up against chicago

but they are so nice, san fran is just hills so you're never far from being able to see the ocean. and the sj sharks are
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Poseidon wrote:

San Francisco is nice if you can stand the gays and ultra-liberals.

San Jose's probably your best bet. Awesome hockey team (who's only lost twice at home this season!), beautiful scenery and a generally nice location. Weather's fantastic from what I hear as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … gle%29.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … lley_w.jpg

San Diego's another good location as well, plus you've got the Chargers, Padres and aren't too far away from the Kings/Lakers/Dodgers/etc.

It's funny...you live in the city and want to live in suburbia (from what I've gathered), I live in suburbia and want to live in the city.
Yeah, right now I'm leaning toward San Jose just because of the good things I've heard AND because of the Sharks (though I'm a HUGE Blackhawks fan).

And it's not so much that I want to live in suburbia.  I mean, I want to live in a city...just so long as that city isn't Chicago.  I just feel like I've been here for too long.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Aries_37 wrote:

san fran and san jose are pretty expensive by american standards (so I'm told), not sure how they stack up against chicago

but they are so nice, san fran is just hills so you're never far from being able to see the ocean. and the sj sharks are
Yeah, I'm looking up places on Craigslist...and apparently San Jose is pretty pricey.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
going to SF and the surrounding area (Santa monica/barba or something like that) is the closest i've been to being in the South of france, while not being there. If that makes sense

And the south of france is one of my most favourite places in the world
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6390|The Gem Saloon

Canadianloser wrote:

Parker wrote:

i married a canadian.

pr0tip; dont do it

i know it is.

but i was inspired when i went there.

i WILL live there at one point in my life...but it has to be maui. the other islands are just too busy.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6573|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Parker wrote:

i married a canadian.

pr0tip; dont do it

But you didnt live outside the US right....Im sure you would love Quebec little Parker!...Well, there is the fact that you prolly dont speak a damn french word and that you could not toy with guns that much that might be a little turn off, but other than that...if your a nature boy!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
tbh you should just all move to ireland
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6573|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

FatherTed wrote:

Why not ireland moving to us all?
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6504

Parker wrote:

Canadianloser wrote:

Parker wrote:

i married a canadian.

pr0tip; dont do it

i know it is.

but i was inspired when i went there.

i WILL live there at one point in my life...but it has to be maui. the other islands are just too busy.
I'll give you that.  Maui is pure fucking win.  I wouldn't mind living there at least one point in my life either.
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6627|New Hampshire, USA
Boston and the surrounding cities is wonderful.  You got plenty of city, plenty of wilderness, and plenty of ocean if you want.  I've lived in New England my entire life and have never gotten sick of it.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6149|what

Go to Florida and retire.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

Roger Lesboules wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Why not ireland moving to us all?
because irelands the best country in the world duh!
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6651

Move to a place that is relevant to your interests

Seriously though, move to a place that has a growing economy or work force in whatever sector you're going to school for. That's probably the most important part. But also visit the place beforehand and make sure it's the kind of place you want to live in, socially/politically/etc.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

San Jose is pricey and there are some absolute shithole neighborhoods.  Anywhere around the Bay Area is going to be too expensive.

Portland is a sweet town.  Incredible music scene, great night life.  It's cold and rainy and there are a lot of hippies, but you like that kind of stuff so I don't think you would have a problem.  Plus it is relatively cheap (at least compared to SF area).
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6716|California

I would go southern California, but steer clear of the OC. Inland Empire, San Diego County, LA County, the Valley, all great places.

Lots of mountain biking. You can go with me.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

stryyker wrote:

I would go southern California, but steer clear of the OC. Inland Empire, San Diego County, LA County, the Valley, all great places.

Lots of mountain biking. You can go with me.
Where have you been?  I haven't seen you in forever.

And yeah, two of my best friends live in LA.  I just don't really want to live IN the city.  SoCal would be fucking sweet though.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard