blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615
https://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9251/10230ledcambridge1aa2.png
Cambridge University[GJ England] professor Colin Humphreys shows off his team's new LED which is near to production. It will cost around $2.85 to produce, and will last 60 years. 

https://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4179/10231ledcambridge2cf2.jpg
The new lightbulbs are bright and more efficient than traditional designs. And unlike other green bulbs they contain no toxic mercury, they turn on instantly, and they do not flicker.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The race towards better, more affordable solid state lighting is heating up quickly.  The U.S. government has sponsored a $20M USD prize for the first team of researchers to come up with solid state lighting that meets a strict set of standards.  New research has finally helped to eliminate the LED droop typically associated with the higher currents needed to provide greater efficiencies.

Now a team at Cambridge University may be close to having a winning design on their hands, perhaps for the L Prize, if they're eligible, and for the consumer market.  The university has produced a new design which costs a mere $2.85 USD and despite being the size of a penny, produces similar light to a fluorescent bulb while lasting over four times as long with a lifetime of 60 years. 

The new design triples fluorescent bulb efficiency and is 12 times more efficient than incandescent designs.  Also, it’s capable of instantaneous illumination, so the light lag associated with fluorescent bulbs may soon be a thing of the past.

If installed across all of Britain, the researchers estimate that it could cut the country's lighting portion of the energy budget from 20 percent to 5 percent a year.  The U.S. could muster a similar 10 percent drop with the design, according to recent DOE estimates.  The new bulbs last 100,000 hours and unlike other "eco" bulbs, they contain no mercury, a substance that can cause brain damage in humans.(WHAT I use those eco bulbs WTF lol! thats it they are coming down!!!!)

They also don't flicker, while other green designs do, something that's been blamed for triggering epileptic fits.

Officials say the new design could cut 40 million tons of carbon emissions in Britain alone.  Britain recently stopped restocking certain incandescent bulbs in stores.  The new design relies on a specially formulated gallium nitride semiconductor, which builds on previous LED work.  It is brighter than traditional designs and relatively cheap from a chemical perspective, compared to more exotic chemistries.

The British researchers managed to make the LEDs even more affordable by growing them on silicon wafers instead of on sapphire wafers, the traditional method of production.  This makes them at last cheap enough for the consumer market.  Growing the LEDs on silicon was assisted by a number of advances at other U.S. and European research institutions.

While some designs take decades to reach the market, Cambridge's design is already being prototyped and readied for production.  RFMD in County Durham, England is the first manufacturer to jump at the opportunity to mass produce and ship the high-performing LED bulbs.

Professor Colin Humphreys, head of the team at Cambridge states, "This could well be the holy grail in terms of providing our lighting needs for the future.  We are very close to achieving highly efficient, low-cost white LEDs.  That won't just be good news for the environment. It will also benefit consumers by cutting their electricity bills.   It is our belief they will render current energy-efficiency bulbs redundant."

source

Mekmaster and all the other people from England once those new light bulbs are out tell us how they are

Last edited by blademaster (2009-02-02 18:39:33)

destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6596|Canada
holy shit.... how would any company make money off that? unless the govt sells them, but then all the incandesent, and CFL companies would be out of business
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6602

I would drop it
Brasso
+1,549|6600

does that light take a while to "warm up?"  i don't know what you call it but these damn energy-saving bulbs have a 3 minute span from when you turn them on to when they reach the brightness they're supposed to have in the first place.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

destruktion_6143 wrote:

holy shit.... how would any company make money off that?
See those two flashy lights in your pc that indicate the power and the disc is being read?

Yeah - LEDs.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6416|Chicago, IL
about damn time, I was wondering when the LED would replace the lightbulb
Reciprocity
+721|6550|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Sounds like the 100mpg carburetor.  Someones gunna get paid off or killed.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6408|King Of The Islands

TheAussieReaper wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

See those two flashy lights in your pc that indicate the power and the disc is being read?

Yeah - LEDs.
You know how much those types of LEDs cost?

Yeah - 3c.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
LEDs are the future, or some similar technology.
Use of compact fluorescents is just madness.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

Cheez wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Yeah - LEDs.
You know how much those types of LEDs cost?

Yeah - 3c.
Cheaper if you buy them by the dozen m8.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Slarty
+37|5934|Ingerland

haffeysucks wrote:

does that light take a while to "warm up?"  i don't know what you call it but these damn energy-saving bulbs have a 3 minute span from when you turn them on to when they reach the brightness they're supposed to have in the first place.
Yes. LED's produce full brightness almost instantly, giving no warm up time that current energy efficient bulbs suffer. That REALLY pisses me off
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK
im more interested in how much elecy they use tbh
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

haffeysucks wrote:

does that light take a while to "warm up?"
takes 30 years to warm up
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Slarty wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Yes. LED's produce full brightness almost instantly, giving no warm up time that current energy efficient bulbs suffer. That REALLY pisses me off
very nice, thanks for the info.  i should have known that as they're LEDs, but yeah.

jsnipy wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

you know what i meant
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5934|London, England

The interesting thing I heard a long time ago was then when lightbulbs were first mass produced they could have made them last for much longer but they were instead designed with sub-par filiments so they would burn out quicker making you buy more and that was their money making scheme.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Slarty
+37|5934|Ingerland

Mutantsteak wrote:

The interesting thing I heard a long time ago was then when lightbulbs were first mass produced they could have made them last for much longer but they were instead designed with sub-par filiments so they would burn out quicker making you buy more and that was their money making scheme.
Yup built in redundancy ftw.....I wonder if these LED bulbs ever will take off.....
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

Vilham wrote:

LED's.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia
It's emitting a bluish light.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

Overhyped.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Reciprocity wrote:

Sounds like the 100mpg carburetor.  Someones gunna get paid off or killed.
Yeah.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Overhyped.
And old news.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
JAyThaRevo
+31|6256|Austria

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Overhyped.
you are an idiot.

This will make us save a SHITLOAD of CO2
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6330|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR

jsnipy wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

what you did there.... i saw
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6654|West Yorkshire, U.K
sucks to be osram
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK

Spark wrote:

Vilham wrote:

LED's.
Do all LED's use low amounts of electricity. Im pretty sure like most things, the more powerful the source of light the more electricity it uses, if this thing lights as bright as a bulb I expect it still uses quite a bit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard