Locoloki wrote:

phishman420 wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Driving isn't hard
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5751|College Park, MD

Mekstizzle wrote:

So those 60 hours of driving is just with someone you know? You could just lie about that and say "yeah I've done it" - so the main thing is the 30 hours at the school and then the theory and then the test itself is on a closed course with cones? haha....and all that at the age of 16.

What's the difference between a restricted licence and a full one?

I just realized I need these 30 hours of driving school
Should've got the official hours out the way first rather than the unofficial/easy to lie about hours...

---

Edit: Also, is this manual/stick shift or automatic?
-You COULD lie about it... you have to keep a log of your driving though. I could just say I went on a drive to Caltech and, idk, University of Alaska and that'd be well over 60 hours but I'm pretty sure I have 60 by now. The person you drive around with has to sign that it's truthful information, meh.

-Yeah, closed course with cones lulz. You can use your own car too, so if you've got a Smart fortwo then it's easy as shit.

-Restricted has a curfew, no driving between like 1am and 5am or something like that. Your only passengers can be family and relatives.

-Meh, I like driving so I don't mind the 60 hours. I do however mind having to go to driving school when I already know how to drive.

And I REALLY wish I had started with this shit when I was 15 years and 9 months instead of 16 years and 11 months. It was such a fucking hassle trying to get a permit before I got my green card though, so I said "fuck it" and waited till I got my card. Before anyone says "omg just use the bus lel", I live out in suburbia. America is very different from the UK/France/Germany/whatever... people in the 50s were morons and built lots of residences in the suburbs, making us rely on automobiles for everything from going to the supermarket to going to school.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6543|N. Ireland
I'm pretty much in the same boat, but have driven before. My theory test is on 19 February. Do what Mek said - buy / download the BSM Theory Interactive program. It does hazard perception as well as questions. The general premis of the questions do not change, they are just worded differently so if you can start getting most of them right you'll be set for your theory.

Good luck.

Last edited by kylef (2009-02-01 11:02:09)

SealXo
+309|6585
driving is easier than you think - the car i learned to drive on had 535hp.

then again, i think driving for my family is genetic. It came to me naturally, while my other friends have already totaled theirs or are horrible drivers.

Last edited by SealXo (2009-02-01 11:09:08)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6575|South Florida
woah woah woah.

a. 'in theory i can drive' doesn't work
b. you've never drivin a car before, so first, before you learn any avasive manuevering, learn to drive.
c. i hate to see you sit there and say you want to drive as fast as possible because with that attitude, your the kind of punk who ends up in head on collisions and kills drivers who are following the rules.
d. no matter how much shit you read the only way you will be a successful driver is pure experience, and paying the fuck attention to the road and other drivers.
e. so please, take back the whole 'drive as fast as you can' attitude cause believe me when i say this,

driving and following the rules is dangerous enough, driving and breaking rules is just asking to die.

honestly, look at some statistics before you think your ready.
15 more years! 15 more years!
phishman420
Banned
+821|5731

Mitch wrote:

woah woah woah.

a. 'in theory i can drive' doesn't work
b. you've never drivin a car before, so first, before you learn any avasive manuevering, learn to drive.
c. i hate to see you sit there and say you want to drive as fast as possible because with that attitude, your the kind of punk who ends up in head on collisions and kills drivers who are following the rules.
d. no matter how much shit you read the only way you will be a successful driver is pure experience, and paying the fuck attention to the road and other drivers.
e. so please, take back the whole 'drive as fast as you can' attitude cause believe me when i say this,

driving and following the rules is dangerous enough, driving and breaking rules is just asking to die.

honestly, look at some statistics before you think your ready.
You're an idiot.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6766|Riva, MD

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

So those 60 hours of driving is just with someone you know? You could just lie about that and say "yeah I've done it" - so the main thing is the 30 hours at the school and then the theory and then the test itself is on a closed course with cones? haha....and all that at the age of 16.

What's the difference between a restricted licence and a full one?

I just realized I need these 30 hours of driving school
Should've got the official hours out the way first rather than the unofficial/easy to lie about hours...

---

Edit: Also, is this manual/stick shift or automatic?
-You COULD lie about it... you have to keep a log of your driving though. I could just say I went on a drive to Caltech and, idk, University of Alaska and that'd be well over 60 hours but I'm pretty sure I have 60 by now. The person you drive around with has to sign that it's truthful information, meh.

-Yeah, closed course with cones lulz. You can use your own car too, so if you've got a Smart fortwo then it's easy as shit.

-Restricted has a curfew, no driving between like 1am and 5am or something like that. Your only passengers can be family and relatives.

-Meh, I like driving so I don't mind the 60 hours. I do however mind having to go to driving school when I already know how to drive.

And I REALLY wish I had started with this shit when I was 15 years and 9 months instead of 16 years and 11 months. It was such a fucking hassle trying to get a permit before I got my green card though, so I said "fuck it" and waited till I got my card. Before anyone says "omg just use the bus lel", I live out in suburbia. America is very different from the UK/France/Germany/whatever... people in the 50s were morons and built lots of residences in the suburbs, making us rely on automobiles for everything from going to the supermarket to going to school.
So you have a Maryland or D.C. license?  Sounds like a Maryland one, but I don't really know what a D.C one is like anyway, lol.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6539|Gogledd Cymru

https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/stkhoplite/1221834757578.gif

Mitch wrote:

This isn't an advanced driving course for MI6, who the fuck has evasive manoeuvres as a requirement for the license anyway?

Mitch wrote:

He said pass his test in the shortest amount of time possible, not break the speed limits at any chance he can get.
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6557
i thought you were like 18? why just getting ur license now?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6671|London, England
Driving around here in Euroland is much harder than in the US, there's probably much more rules/regulations over here, not to mention the road/geographical layout itself is much more complex. Again, the licensing system is also harder. Finland is where it's at its extreme, if anyone saw that Top Gear episode, basically if you want a license in Finland you have to be a decent rally race driver, that's the level of skill required due to conditions/roads

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Locoloki wrote:

phishman420 wrote:

Not that it's hard, but I'll say it cos you're from North America. I hope you guys at least know how to drive Manual/Stick, otherwise just lol.

Same for you Hurricane, you better be learning Manual, no point learning in Automatic, don't need 60 hours plus 30 for that. More like......1.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5731

Mekstizzle wrote:

Driving around here in Euroland is much harder than in the US, there's probably much more rules/regulations over here, not to mention the road/geographical layout itself is much more complex. Again, the licensing system is also harder. Finland is where it's at its extreme, if anyone saw that Top Gear episode, basically if you want a license in Finland you have to be a decent rally race driver, that's the level of skill required due to conditions/roads

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Locoloki wrote:

Not that it's hard, but I'll say it cos you're from North America. I hope you guys at least know how to drive Manual/Stick, otherwise just lol.

Same for you Hurricane, you better be learning Manual, no point learning in Automatic, don't need 60 hours plus 30 for that. More like......1.
How the fuck can driving be any harder over there? DRIVING = DRIVING

That's just dumb, Mek.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Depends on where it is, remember you have to realise that most roads in Europe have evolved from pre-automobile times. Therefore, they're not really designed for cars but they've been turned into roads to the best of their ability etc.. whereas in the US, alot of roads have been built with the knowledge of automobiles etc.. in mind and with the sole purpose of being a road etc.. in other words the layout is much more efficient and friendly. That's all I'm trying to say, obviously it varies from location to location.

Cmon ig, the fact that you're saying driving = driving no matter where you are, that's what's dumb. You haven't answered my question yet, do you drive automatic or manual? What did you learn in?
phishman420
Banned
+821|5731

Mekstizzle wrote:

Depends on where it is, remember you have to realise that most roads in Europe have evolved from pre-automobile times. Therefore, they're not really designed for cars but they've been turned into roads to the best of their ability etc.. whereas in the US, alot of roads have been built with the knowledge of automobiles etc.. in mind and with the sole purpose of being a road etc.. in other words the layout is much more efficient and friendly. That's all I'm trying to say, obviously it varies from location to location.

Cmon ig, the fact that you're saying driving = driving no matter where you are, that's what's dumb. You haven't answered my question yet, do you drive automatic or manual? What did you learn in?
I drive my friend's Z06, and I'm pretty fucking sure that's way more difficult than any Eurofag car...

I still stand by my statement; driving is driving no matter where the fuck you are. Quit trying to turn it in to some stupid USA/Europe argument.

My car is an automatic. The only reason you would need a manual is if you drive a performance car. Automatic makes so much more sense for everyday use.

Last edited by phishman420 (2009-02-01 13:36:09)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
No am I talking about cars, I'm talking about roads and layout/geography. Shit.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5731

Mekstizzle wrote:

No am I talking about cars, I'm talking about roads and layout/geography. Shit.
I know what you're talking about. It's still dumb.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Then why the fuck are you talking about Z06? Is that just another plug to start another thread about the Corvette? Any fucking thread about cars, one of you guys end up talking about the 'vette, it doesn't matter what type of thread, even a god damn thread about learning to drive, you still plug the vette in somehow. What the fuck man

Unless that's got to do with me asking about manual/automatic transmission. When you got your license/first started driving, did you learn in manual or automatic? That's a difference I was talking about it being harder here, first of all, the roads and layout, secondly most people here start learning/driving in manual rather than automatic. Thirdly, there's more regulations and the tests/requirements is stricter. It makes sense, because the layout of roads here is more difficult to navigate than in the US for reasons I stated before, also the fact that in the US if you don't have a car you're fucked, that plays into why it's easier to get a license/car over there, cos it has to be otherwise the country would be fucked

The only reason I'm saying all this is because there's been alot of North Americans coming into the thread saying it's easy and just quoting everyone etc.. and I've gone out of my way to explain why you guys probably don't see it as much of a big deal at all, granted, neither do I, but it is more of a deal here than in the US, that's for sure

I suppose we'll wait for a Fin to come here and shut us all up, if what Top Gear said was right

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-02-01 13:42:59)

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6682

Mekstizzle wrote:

Then why the fuck are you talking about Z06? Is that just another plug to start another thread about the Corvette? Any fucking thread about cars, one of you guys end up talking about the 'vette, it doesn't matter what type of thread, even a god damn thread about learning to drive, you still plug the vette in somehow. What the fuck man
innit mok
phishman420
Banned
+821|5731
You were asking if I knew how to drive a manual. I answered by stating that I can drive one of the more difficult manuals there are, a high-performance sports car.

The first time I drove a car, my friend's mom let us drive her Jeep Cherokee (manual) in a school parking lot. But like I said before, manual transmission is dumb unless you have a high-performance car. That's why I have an automatic and would never get a manual unless I had a car with over 300 HP.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6682

Smg Ftw?
Home
Section.80
+447|6897|Seattle, Washington, USA

phishman420 wrote:

I drive my friend's Z06
How the hell does your friend have a Z06, I thought you were like 20
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6550|so randum
In America, you have lots of very straight roads, often well drained.

Over here, we rarely have either.

It is harder to drive over here.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6487|Germany
forget computer programs. I've never driven a car before my first lesson and I didn't need more time than anyone else. Just sit in the car, turn the key and do what the teacher tells you. Driving is easy, you just have to do it.

And remember, you don't learn to drive trough your lessons, you learn to drive by doing it. I consider myself a good driver now, but most of that came from the experiences I made after I got my license.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5751|College Park, MD
@j56, maryland learner's permit. I really wish I didn't have to take these stupid fucking courses.

@Mek no I'm learning automatic. I can drive OK manually with Tiptronic or with paddle shifters though. There isn't really a need to learn manual in the states because most of the cars here are automatics. And frankly, the fuel efficiency gap between manuals and automatics is closing. And I remember reading that within a decade or so, CVTs will become the norm and will rape automatics & manuals. Finally, manual is for men who like to grip big long hard shafts.

What really makes me fucking rage is that you have to pay for these driving lessons. I mean, that would make sense if you didn't know how to drive, but when you've had (I calculated roughly) 90 hours of experience behind the wheel (which is 30 more than what's required for getting your provisional license) I just do not see the point in having to pay to be taught something I know.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Bevo
Nah
+718|6570|Austin, Texas
In texas, learners permit at 15. someone over 21 in car.
16, provisional. no more than 1 other non family member, no driving past midnight.
16 and 6 mo, no restrictions.

Dont need driving school/hours/bullshit. Take written test at for permit, get parent to sign off hours later.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6539|Gogledd Cymru

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Finally, manual is for men who like to grip big long hard shafts.
Automatic is for people who can't drive and need a computer to tell them when to change gears.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard