usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

Are sports fans more like shareholders or customers?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

usmarine wrote:

customers to a service i say.

sponsors would be more like shareholders
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Well when you look at teams like Green Bay and some EU soccer teams (I think FC Barca is like this) the season ticket holders are shareholders.  For the average fan, customer.

That being said, I tend to look at myself as a shareholder of sorts, except that I invest emotion in the teams I follow.  I was very pissed when the Lakers lost to the Celtics, and the same when the Halos lost in the first round last year.  I invest so much emotion in watching my teams, only to be let down at the end
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Well when you look at teams like Green Bay and some EU soccer teams (I think FC Barca is like this) the season ticket holders are shareholders.  For the average fan, customer.

That being said, I tend to look at myself as a shareholder of sorts, except that I invest emotion in the teams I follow.  I was very pissed when the Lakers lost to the Celtics, and the same when the Halos lost in the first round last year.  I invest so much emotion in watching my teams, only to be let down at the end
there there kj, let it out
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85
They have a louder voice in the running of a team than most shareholders in a company do I think. A crazed, drunk voice, but a louder voice nonetheless.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

FatherTed wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

there there kj, let it out
I know, I was actually thinking about this the other night.  I've watched the Halos win it all in '02 and the Lakers win in 2000, 2001 and 2002.  Could this be the zenith of my sports fan career?  God I hope not.

My brothers and I really had a hard time justifying spending the +$14K for season tickets this year seeing as management did fuckall this offseason, but we still got them
topthrill05
+125|6570|Rochester NY USA
In many ways yes, in order for teams such as the Yankees or any top baseball team its packing the stadium that counts.

This not so much for other sports because of salary caps and such but the sky's the limit in baseball. But shit if there's no fans then there's no team.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

usmarine wrote:

To an extent, both.

They act as shareholders in the sense that they really want the "franchise" team they support to do well. I would definitely say long term club membership owning fans are shareholders. They do invest into the team when they purchase the special memberships and that revinue goes towards the club.

They become customers when they purchase the sporting apparel etc.

But when they purchase seats\tickets are they paying the game owners or the club? I don't think the fans are shareholders of the "game" or game owners. But are very much so when they support their team as heavily as most fans do.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Neither, consumers - which is not the same as customer.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6632|Your moms bedroom
by sports fans, do you mean people who actually buy tickets?
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6511|Πάϊ
Customers unless they actually hold shares like Barcelona fans. Which is sort of an exception, so yea... customers.
ƒ³
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
To me they are shareholders, and this is why.  Even when the organization you are fan of is a private company, there's a feeling, a sentiment, that you don't buy, you just own.  You can't break the love of a true fan for his team.  I can't understand when they move a team in the US to another town.  I'm a fan of River Plate, a football team from here, most Euros know it.   And I don't have stocks, but I attend to matches, watch them on tv, and cry when they lose a final.  I'm a shareholder, even without shares.
beerface702
+65|6685|las vegas
customer, because all those cool ads make me buy shit on superbowl
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

Locoloki wrote:

by sports fans, do you mean people who actually buy tickets?
and the clothes.  watch the games.  etc.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6484|Connecticut
I would say shareholders. If we stopped buying tickets, apperal, etc then athletes would not get paid as much. We control their "shares" much like stocks rise and fall for corporations. A league minimum paid hockey player gets much less than a league minimum paid NFL player and that can be directly attributed to the popularity of the respective sport.
Malloy must go
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6567|London
Customers. They pay for a product. Their influence on franchise/club activity extends only as far as the organisation wanting to tailor their product to the consumer.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6511|Πάϊ

sergeriver wrote:

To me they are shareholders, and this is why.  Even when the organization you are fan of is a private company, there's a feeling, a sentiment, that you don't buy, you just own.  You can't break the love of a true fan for his team.  I can't understand when they move a team in the US to another town.  I'm a fan of River Plate, a football team from here, most Euros know it.   And I don't have stocks, but I attend to matches, watch them on tv, and cry when they lose a final.  I'm a shareholder, even without shares.
That feeling you speak of...  is it because your dad probably brainwashed you about River for example? Frankly I don't know about you, but that's how it works here.

People basically recruit their kids to be fans of their team. It's pure brainwashing. And most of the times you can't even reason with guys like that - who otherwise happen to be totally normal. When it comes to their team they just lose all touch with reality. They're not fans of a sport, they're followers of a team. The best kind of customer there is. No matter how crappy your product, they'll always support it 100%. Fuck, in Greece politicians even use teams with large fan bases to support their campaign! It's a classic case of seller - buyer relationship.

deeznutz1245 wrote:

I would say shareholders. If we stopped buying tickets, apperal, etc then athletes would not get paid as much. We control their "shares" much like stocks rise and fall for corporations. A league minimum paid hockey player gets much less than a league minimum paid NFL player and that can be directly attributed to the popularity of the respective sport.
Yeah but that's the power of the customer. If a product doesn't appeal to them, it's not worth anything. Control over a product's price doesn't make one anything more than a customer. You have to hold shares of a company to be a shareholder. No other way imho.

Last edited by oug (2009-01-29 05:31:37)

ƒ³
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

oug wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

That feeling you speak of...  is it because your dad probably brainwashed you about River for example? Frankly I don't know about you, but that's how it works here.

People basically recruit their kids to be fans of their team. It's pure brainwashing. And most of the times you can't even reason with guys like that - who otherwise happen to be totally normal. When it comes to their team they just lose all touch with reality. They're not fans of a sport, they're followers of a team. The best kind of customer there is. No matter how crappy your product, they'll always support it 100%. Fuck, in Greece politicians even use teams with large fan bases to support their campaign! It's a classic case of seller - buyer relationship.
In this case my father was a River fan but he didn't like football that much.  I started to like football when I was a kid and once I asked him to take me to the stadium.  Since that day I became addicted to River.  I've been to more than 400 matches so far.  I love football, and I cried several times because of it.  That passion can't be described.  Only football can give you such thing.

Last edited by sergeriver (2009-01-29 08:40:38)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6511|Πάϊ
Oh I know! Football is my favorite sport too. Both to play and watch. But no matter how much I like the sport itself, I'll never feel the same about any particular team.
ƒ³
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command

usmarine wrote:

Seems like a dumb question tbh.

Customers, of course.

Shareholders get something when the company performs well. Sports fans get to share their heads, paint their faces and act like idiots.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard