Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5764|Belgium
Hello all,

I'm 17 years old, and since the last 2-3 years I've had this problem. Blushing. Whenever I have to give a presentation in front of class, when I talk to someone I don't really know, when I get a comment from a teacher/someone else my face just fires up. Really, from nothing to a red tomato face in a second... Everyone saying 'look at his face, it's a tomato' doesn't really help. I sometimes get this out of nowhere too, and people would ask me why my face is red, I usually give them some kind of excuse, but still, it makes me feel bad :s

I don't get this around friends or people I know fairly well...

I really feel this is cutting into my social life, I rarely talk to persons I don't know and I sure as hell don't talk to girls I don't know, and even if I do I won't be the one making the first move.

I REALLY need to get rid of this, it's taking over my life... I don't want to end up like the guy that says nothing, although I have the feeling I'm already being labeled as it...

Any advice/help on this?

Last edited by Jebus (2009-01-16 10:16:23)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

Go up to strangers in the street, and ask them to rub your nipple. Do this a lot. I'm serious, it's a really good way to get over nerves of talking to strangers in a weird way, and hopefully that will make you feel more comfortable in general so you might blush less. I'm no doctor, but I don't think you can 'cure' blushing, so the best way to get over it is to just become more confidant and comfortable with yourself.
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5932|CA
The only advise I can think of is to intentionally put yourself into uncomfortable situations, thus gaining confidence and realizing that everyone is so self absorbed that your actions are trivial to them.  Ask that girl out, talk in class, and express yourself.

I spent too much time in my younger days not voicing my opinion for fear of harsh judgement, not asking a girl out for fear of rejection, not doing what I wanted in life out of fear.  I realized at some point in my late teens that this was a sad way to live and I did not want to define myself for my remaining days as being one to afraid to be who I am.

So don't beat yourself up over your failings, strive to better yourself every day.  Take small steps to overcome this obstacle and soon enough you will realize that it really is something you can conquer.  The closed mouth doesn't get fed and fortune favors the bold. 

You only get one life; it's time to live it.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6381|the land of bourbon
yup, ghetto has it right.  it's just a fear you need to get over.  also, be very familiar with your presentations... make sure you know all your material inside and out, and you'll have more confidence when speaking.  it also helps to not look people in the eye, just kind of glance over their heads.  concentrate on your speech, and you'll be fine.  it's human nature to avoid uncomfortable situations, and remember everyone has some fears... embrace yours and you'll be a stronger person.

and try to remember as you get older, you'll start to realize people's opinions really mean shit, and you just need to trust yourself.  forget what people are thinking of you, and just be yourself.

Last edited by steelie34 (2009-01-16 10:33:43)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
JoshP
Banned
+176|5689|Notts, UK

GravyDan wrote:

The only advise I can think of is to intentionally put yourself into uncomfortable situations, thus gaining confidence and realizing that everyone is so self absorbed that your actions are trivial to them.  Ask that girl out, talk in class, and express yourself.

I spent too much time in my younger days not voicing my opinion for fear of harsh judgement, not asking a girl out for fear of rejection, not doing what I wanted in life out of fear.  I realized at some point in my late teens that this was a sad way to live and I did not want to define myself for my remaining days as being one to afraid to be who I am.

So don't beat yourself up over your failings, strive to better yourself every day.  Take small steps to overcome this obstacle and soon enough you will realize that it really is something you can conquer.  The closed mouth doesn't get fed and fortune favors the bold. 

that was pretty inspirational

i like it

+1

ghettoperson wrote:

Go up to strangers in the street, and ask them to rub your nipple. Do this a lot. I'm serious, it's a really good way to get yourself arrested
fix't

Last edited by JoshP (2009-01-16 10:34:22)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6525|South Florida
Gravydan, primo advice brother. +1
15 more years! 15 more years!
tuckergustav
+1,590|5913|...

These guys gave good advice.  You can only do anything about the anxiety you feel about public speaking.  The blushing will subside when the anxiety subsides.  I have taken public speaking classes before and it was comforting to see that I wasn't the only nervous one.  Maybe that would help you?  It would be a group of "strangers" but it would be a little more comforting knowing that they are all there for the same reason.  It helped me tremendously.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
Get drunk
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5932|CA

Mekstizzle wrote:

Get drunk
Or this.  LOL!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

GravyDan wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Get drunk
Or this.  LOL!
And if you do it enough, you will have plenty of embarrassing things to think about the next day. Having to deal with people coming up to you and saying "Dude, why were you making out with that fat chick last night?" all the time should accomplish the same thing.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6575|London
As a last resort you could ask your doc for beta blockers or antianxiety meds.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

I used to be like that. Every time I gave a presentation my face would get really hot and I'd start sweating. Then I just started thinking this: "Who gives a fuck? It's not like I'm being judged for life on this. No one is gonna even fucking care what I have to say, so why should I get worried? And even if I do slip up, it's not a big deal at all. There are plenty of other people out there giving presentations, so it's not like it's a big deal. And even if there isn't anyone else doing any other presentations, the audience is going to forget about it within the next hour anyway."
Ever since then I've actually been a pretty good public speaker and get compliments on it. I've had to give a couple important presentations in front of a class of 60 (not that big tbh) and I didn't even practice either; just sort of ran through it, kept it informative yet concise.

...However there are times when I'll ask a question in a class and I can still feel my face get all hot if I keep talking past 20 seconds
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6685|Espoo, Finland

ghettoperson wrote:

Go up to strangers in the street, and ask them to rub your nipple. Do this a lot. I'm serious, it's a really good way to get over nerves of talking to strangers in a weird way, and hopefully that will make you feel more comfortable in general so you might blush less. I'm no doctor, but I don't think you can 'cure' blushing, so the best way to get over it is to just become more confidant and comfortable with yourself.
Actually it can be 'cured' medically. Can't remember how it's done but it can be done.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

ghettoperson wrote:

Good way to get busted as well
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Jebus wrote:

I really feel this is cutting into my social life, I rarely talk to persons I don't know and I sure as hell don't talk to girls I don't know, and even if I do I won't be the one making the first move.
That's your problem right there. Start talking to more random people, get out more, hang out with other people. Best way to do it? Get drunk at a big party and start chatting. It will change you dramatically. You're shy, and that's not a bad thing, but by the sounds of it, you are too shy and way too reserved. Stating something like "I sure as hell don't talk to girls I don't know" worries me because you should be trying to change that, not just improve you facial blushing.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

Zimmer wrote:

Jebus wrote:

That's your problem right there. Start talking to more random people, get out more, hang out with other people. Best way to do it? Get drunk at a big party and start chatting. It will change you dramatically. You're shy, and that's not a bad thing, but by the sounds of it, you are too shy and way too reserved. Stating something like "I sure as hell don't talk to girls I don't know" worries me because you should be trying to change that, not just improve you facial blushing.
It seems a bit weird to recommend getting drunk as a solution, but it is a very good way to get over shyness. Don't go nuts, but just enough so you don't feel too self concious to talk to people. Get some phone numbers/emails and all of a sudden you have a whole bunch more people to hang out with and push yourself a bit.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5750|شمال
https://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Middleeaster/help.jpg
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5702|College Park, MD
Yeah, there's a reason that Alfred calls alcohol "liquid courage" in The Dark Knight

Just talk to random people on the subway (well, the random ones who aren't crazy bums). Comment on the weather (cliche but it's still talking to other people). Chat about a current event. Once you start, you'll find it easy to talk to a random stranger as long as you've got something to talk about. Last night after the Metallica concert, I was just commenting to random people how awesome the show was etc.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6394|The Gem Saloon
listen to GravyDan....also, see my member title

about the only thing i can add, is my patented "bad motherfucker" technique.

there a many customers of mine that intimidate the living shit out of me...
on the other hand, i find myself talking to the baddest women i can find...which also intimidates me.

whenever you get nervous, self conscious, scared or otherwise doubting yourself, just tell yourself, "i am a bad motherfucker".

tell yourself that until you believe it. it makes a HUGE difference for me.

GravyDan wrote:

fortune favors the bold.
i have that written on my arm...literally!
https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/parkercustoms/shooting037.jpg

on the right arm

and FU jordan...when other people hear it, it makes me that much MORE of a bad motherfucker
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.

Parker wrote:

listen to GravyDan....also, see my member title

about the only thing i can add, is my patented "bad motherfucker" technique.

there a many customers of mine that intimidate the living shit out of me...
on the other hand, i find myself talking to the baddest women i can find...which also intimidates me.

whenever you get nervous, self conscious, scared or otherwise doubting yourself, just tell yourself, "i am a bad motherfucker".

tell yourself that until you believe it. it makes a HUGE difference for me.
Just don't drift into actually mouthing it or saying it to yourself in the presence of people.

Like Parker does.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5681
Parker, eat a cheeseburger.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone
I'd just drink some alcohol. You get more courageous and you might blush less. But not too much.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6645

GravyDan wrote:

The closed mouth doesn't get fed and fortune favors the bold. 

yeah very inspirational I would karma u but all out of karma also u can get on zoloft if u dont feel like doing any of those things viva la druga I mean talk to ur doctor first

Last edited by blademaster (2009-01-16 13:21:35)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone

blademaster wrote:

GravyDan wrote:

The closed mouth doesn't get fed and fortune favors the bold. 

yeah very inspirational I would karma u but all out of karma
Karmaing Gravy for you buddy
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard