Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6641|England
"In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war...."

Dawn of War 2 is a RTS game from developers Relic and is the sequel to the hit title, Dawn of War released ~4 years ago. The Dawn of War series is based around the Warhammer 40,000 Tabletop game from Games Workshop.
In 2007 Relic delivered one of the best RTS games yet in the form of Company of Heroes, now they are bringing the CoH style gameplay to the 41st Millenium.

Dawn of War 2 has a Single Player Campaign that spans a Sub-Sector of the galaxy. The single player campaign follows the Blood ravens Chapter of the Space Marines as they are sent to the aurelia subsector to deal with threats from an Ork Waaaaagh! and reported Eldar incursion.  Instead of a linear mission progression, players will be given the choice of various missions. they may for example choose to pursue a valuable peice of wargear located on one planet whilst letting the Orks rampage through a city on another planet. Alternatively they could crush the greenskins and let that wargear go.

Relic is moving away from typical RTS base-building seen in other games from the same genre (e.g. Command and Conquer and their own company of Heroes) and is instead emphasising the Space Marines role as an elite fighting force who can turn the tide of a planet wide battle with just a handful of marines. In each mission your Force Commander will be deployed with 2 squads of your choosing. These range from:

Tactical Marines:

The standard Space Marine. Armed with the Holy Bolter, tactical marines are deployed by most chapters as their main fighting force. They are skilled in ranged and close combat.
In Dawn of War 2 the Tactical squad will be led by Sergeant Tarkus, a veteran of the Blood Ravens chapter.

https://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/323/reviews/945727_20081119_screen006.jpg
Tarkus and his squad race hurry to defeat the Ork scum

Assault Marines:
Space Marines equipped with Jetpacks, they excel at Close Quarters Combat and can use their jetpacks to gain the upper hand on the enemy.
In DoW2 the Assault Marines are led by Sergeant Thaddeus, a hot-headed veteran of many battles.

https://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/323/reviews/945727_20081119_screen010.jpg
An Assault Marine takes to the skies to bring death to the Orks.

Devestator Marines:
Devesators are deployed to utilize the Space Marines heaviest weapons where they are needed most. They can utilize a range of heavy support such as Heavy Bolters, Plasma Guns, Flamers and more.
In DoW2 the Devestator Squad Leader is Sergeant Avitus.

https://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/339/945727_20081205_screen005.jpg
A Devestator with a Heavy Bolter provides cover for his battle brothers.

Scout Marines:
Newly initiated Space Marines who have passed the rigorous genetic engineering and training required to be a soldier of the Adeptus Astartes are made Scouts. They perform reconnaisance and infiltration so that their brother marines go into battle with every advantage they can get. They are often equipped with Sniper Rifles for long range fire support.
In DoW2 the Scouts are led by Sergeant Cyrus, a Scout Company Veteran with excellent sniping talents.

The Blood Ravens also have the chapters Dreadnoughts and Terminators at their disposle when necessary.

A dreadnought is a walker-sarcophagus. Honoured Veterans who have falllen in battle may be contained within a Dreadnought, and deployed to fight another day in tough battle. Dreadnoughts can be equipped with a variety of armaments, such as assault cannons and multi meltas.

https://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/157/reviews/945727_20080606_screen005.jpg

Terminators are Veteran Marines from a chapters 1st Company. They are outfitted in the near inpentrable Tactical Dreadnought Armour and it takes a huge amount of enemy firepower to fell a Terminator.

They are equipped with fast firing Storm bolters or Assault Terminators carry Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields to destroy enemies of the imperium.

Terminators can teleport onto the battle, thus potentially swaying the outcome of a battle.

As the single player campain goes on, a new threat will emerge....
The Tyranids, an alien race from another galaxy will emerge in the Aurelia Subsector. Tyranids consume all the biomass on planets they invade, to quench their eternal hunger...

The single player campaign is not all dawn of war 2 has to offer. The multiplayer campaign offers the chance for players to play as any of the 4 races, competing against other commanders in matches similar to CoH's. (I,E Victory Point Control and Annihilation)

3 commanders are offered to each player. there is one offensive choice, one defensive and one healer. These generally translate as doctrines from CoH.

The Space Marines have the force Commander, the techmarine and an Apothacary.
the Orks have a Warboss, a Kommando and a Mekboy
The Eldar have a Warlock, a Warp Spider Exarch and a Farseer
The 'Nids have a Hive Tyrant, a Lictor Alpha and a Ravenor Alpha

Phew....thats enough of the top of my head for now...time for some CopyPasta

DOW 2: What We Know So Far!

Q: How many races playable in DOW 2?
A: 4 Races playable in DOW 2. Tyranids, Orkz, Eldar and Space Marines.

Q: How many races playable in SP campaign?
A: There is only space marine campaign, and IG *MIGHT* be playable only in SP camp.

Q: How will SP campaign be like?
A: SP camp will be different compared to mp/skirmish. In sp camp, you can manage up to 6 squads that can have up to 4 or 5 different abilites, each squad has a lot of depth and can be customized with different wargears. You can lose most of missions and still beat the camp, how? You just have to win the most important ones. Which leads to different outcome(s), as oppose to you beating all of the missions, etc. What you do in a mission and how you do it in a mission will also effect the story.

Q: Will there be bosses in sp camp?
A: Yes, the 1st boss for DOW 2 is called "Bonecrusher", he's a huge ork who is very powerful. Bosses will also have special abilties, they are also smart.

Q: Will there be basebuilding, resources, techtrees, etc?
A: Yes, only in MP though.

Q: Why no Chaos? Are they are NOT in?
A: Chaos is heavily hinted in an expansion pack.

Q: Will the Army Editor feature return in DOW 2?
A: Yes, it will return with some added features, it will also be more easier to use.

Q: What online service will DOW 2 use?
A: DOW 2 will use Games For Windows Live, which is competly free now. Both gold and silver accounts are completly free.

Q: Will there be big scale/Relic units in DOW 2?
A: First off, the scale for DOW 2 will be much more accurate in DOW2. Avatar of Khanie will be back in DOW 2, so expect powerful units for the other races to return.

Q: Will the old characters from DOW 1 return in DOW 2? And which SM chapter will we see in DOW 2?
A: Old characters from previous camps will return, and SM chapter in DOW 2 is blood ravens.

Q:What are some NEW features in DOW 2?
A: Some NEW features include,

* Physics - The laws of physics clearly state that whatever goes up and comes down, DOW2 physics is no exeception, units take more damange when attacked from behind, etc.

* Destructable environments - "In COH, it's destructable terrian, in DOW 2, it's destructable everything" - Relic

* Enhanced wargear(over 100 wargears per faction) - There's wargear for sqauds, squad leaders, heroes and Vechiles. Setting up the right wargear before a mission is key.

* Boss battles - Bosses will be smart, and they will have special attacks. Bonecrusher(the 1st boss from DOW2) is a huge Ork, his special attacks include shockwave, stomp, etc.

* Online co-op camp - The camp can be playable online with your buddies.

* Tyranids - One of the worst kept secreats in vg history. Tyranids are one hungry faction, and you will see why in DOW 2. If you like Zergs, you will like Tyranids.

* New campaign with choices that affect it - You don't have to finish all of the missions to complete the sp camp, etc. You have the option to answer distress signals, etc. As of now, SM and Orkz camp has been confirmed.

* Enchanced cover system - The cover system for dow2 will be like coh's cover, wheater it's modified or not is uncertain.

* Shrines and other buildings - Capturing shrines and other vital structures can give a you a strategic adventage. Shrines, etc can give you a number of different bonuses.

* Unique maps - One of the biggest downsides in DOW1 was maps, dow2 will feature great maps. It will be like COH maps, except better thanks to DOW2's setting.

* Really smart A.I - The A.I will get a serious overhaul, it will be smart and pain in the a$$. The guy who coded coh's a.i will code dow2's a.i, except he's got more helpers this time around. The A.I is smart enough to flee when out numbered.

* Veterancy and garrisioning buildings - Units now get promoted and buildings can be garrisioned.

* Comics - Comics will be placed all around the camp, comics tell the story. The comics will be similiar to Homeworld's comics.

Q: What are all the OFFICALLY confirnmed units in DOW 2?
A: ALL confirnmed units so far,

NOTE: These are offically confirnmed units, there will be more units in DOW 2.

Space Marines

* Scout Marines
* Tactical Marines
* Devastor squad
* Assualt Marines
* Terminator
* Force commander(Hero unit)
* Dreadnought
* Predator tank

Orkz

* Stikky boyz
* Storm boyz
* Lootas
* Tankbustas
* Shootas
* Warboss(Hero unit)
* Wartrukk
* Killa Kan

Eldar

* Guardians
* Howling banshees
* Ranger
* Warlock
* Warp spider
* Farseer(Hero unit)
* Falcon grav tank
* Wraith lord
* Fire Prism

Tyranids

* Guants
* Spore
* Ripper
* Warrior
* Ravener
* Lictor
* Hive Tyrant(Hero unit)
* Carnifex
* Zoanthrope

Q: Will Sync kills return?
A: Yes, Sync kills are now called "Extreme kills".

Q: Who is the music composer for DOW 2?
A: Doyle W, Donehoo.

Q: Where can I view some DOW 2 screens?
A:

http://dawnofwar2.com/us/screenshots

Q: Where can I view some DOW 2 videos?
A:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6584.html

Q: How will the Tyranids play out?
A: Tyranids will have something called "Synapse". From worthplaying, "toss a grenade over a wall into a group of Tyranids with a synapse creature, and they will immediately recognize it as a weapon, move to avoid it, and search out the attacker who launched it. Use a sneak attack to eliminate the synapse creature before tossing in a grenade, and the reaction is quite different. The individual Tyranids won't know that the grenade is a threat. Some may ignore it. Others may sniff it. But they won't run, and when it blows up, it takes out most of the group."

3 Stages of Tyranid Terraformation In DOW 2

1) Stage 1 - Spore mines, these slow floating creatures can explode into some nasty goop, which does damage btw.

2) Stage 2 - Hive node, an artillary that can shoot Tyranid juice(acid?), which can damage enemy units over a wide area.

3) Stage 3 - Brood nests, these nests spawn new group of Tyranids every 10-15 seconds.

Tyranids resource(in sp camp) - Bio-Mass

Tyranids reduce everything organic in the map and use that aganist you.

Credit to gogators from GameFAQs DoWII board for that

Dawn of War 2 will be released on the 18th Februaruy in the US, the 19th in Aus and the 20th in the UK.

A demo will probably be released before those dates

Their is a multiplayer beta going live in 2 weeks. Owners of DoW:Soulstorm will be able to get the beta a week early on Jan the 21st.

[To get the beta with your copy of SS, get Steam, go to activate a product on Steam, enter you SS CD Key, wait until the 21st]

DLC will be free in the future (though expects expansions with all the other races in!
Lead Desiger Johnny Ebert has also said that DoW2 comes with no DRM/SecuROM as people who brought the game should not be punished (his words, what a guy )

Specs for Dawn of War II:

Minimum Requirements
* Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista SP1
* P4 3.2 GHz (single core) or any Dual Core processor
* 1 GB RAM (XP), 1.5 GB RAM (Vista)
* A 128MB Video Card (Shader Model 3) - Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT / ATI X1600, or equivalent
* 5.5 GB of Hard Drive space

Recommended
* Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista SP1
* AMD Athlon 64?2 4400+ or any Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2 GB RAM (XP and Vista)
* A 256MB Video Card (Shader Model 3) - Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900, or equivalent
* 5.5 GB of Hard Drive space

Thats all for now. I'm incredibly psyched for this game. I came out of my state of near eternal lurking to inform you guys about it Reviews out already have been good (though some say the campaign will be repetitive and the multilplayer that comes with the game is very limited)
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York
Looks good, though I never played the first one. I'll be saving my money up for E:TW instead.
Sgt.Davi
+300|6641|England
E:TW I'm getting too, along with Killzone 2 this quarter.

Empire and Dawn of War 2 look set to be fantastic sequels
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
Games for Windows LIVE. I wonder if it will have a functioning online mode. I do not want matchmaking and having to sit around for half an hour before I get into a game. The current Relic online is more than sufficient. Hopefully the LIVE integration won't have a negative impact on the online play. I'm perfectly happy with the rest of the Live integration though. After the nightmarish effort I had to put into getting Flatout Ultimate Carnage's Windows Live up and running, it's been very smooth and enjoyable (except for the completely dead online mode), and I like how its perfectly itnegrated with the Xbox community etc.

I thought Company of Heroes was (and is) far more enjoyable than Dawn of War. Not that I don't like DoW. But with very limited funds these days I have to be very critical. So i'm not sure about DoW yet. I'm hoping i'll enjoy it.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-01-14 14:19:37)

Oldirti
+10|6117
Yeah, this is something that i'm buying. Gonna be extremely tight.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Can I has Tau?
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6454|The edge of sanity

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Can I has Tau?
Seconded
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6711|Purplicious Wisconsin
How about Necrons?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Sgt.Davi
+300|6641|England
I'd hazard a guess at:

1st Exp. Chaos and Imperial Guard
2nd Tau and Necron
3rd SoB annd Dark Eldar
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6573|London
This looks awesome...except there are only 4 races i.e typical Relic expansion pack rape. I bet they've already done the other races as well. pfft.
Sgt.Davi
+300|6641|England
the game was announced in april last year or thereabouts...in that time they've done a lot, and worked hard to bring nids to the main game. I'd rather have Dow ssooner with 4 races and buy fresh content to keep my interest in the game piqued now rather than wait later...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Sgt.Davi wrote:

I'd hazard a guess at:

1st Exp. Chaos and Imperial Guard
2nd Tau and Necron
3rd SoB annd Dark Eldar
I'd say that the expansions might have three each (being a bit hopeful, I guess), since they're going to get lots of demands from people who already have favorite DoW1 armies. Plus that'd leave opportunities for additional armies in a third pack.

All I know for sure is that as soon as the Tau return, so shall Spazz'O and his merry band of Big Strike, Big Profit mercenaries!

That is, unless I get my hands on an Adeptus Mechanicus Skitarii army first...

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-01-17 13:42:20)

Sgt.Davi
+300|6641|England
Bump for unloved game
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
If you have Soulstorm then the multiplayer beta is now on . If you don't you can get it on Steam at the moment for 75% off (£4.25), and Soulstorm doesn't require any other DoW games to be owned which is nice.

And if you don't want to buy it then the beta goes public on the 28th .

Here's the relevant Steam pages.

Steam News - DoWII Multiplayer Beta Early Access on Now
Buy Soulstorm on Steam - 75% off!
Dawn of War 2 Multiplayer Beta

I think the sale was a nice touch . I only have the original DoW, so I'm quite tempted by Soulstorm because of the low low price and early access to the DoW2 beta.

I'll leave it a few days though and have a think.
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6692|The Ville
* Boss battles - Bosses will be smart, and they will have special attacks. Bonecrusher(the 1st boss from DOW2) is a huge Ork, his special attacks include shockwave, stomp, etc.
I like that feature alot. Almost makes me want to buy this game, even though I've never played the first.
dtacs
say that 2 my face fucker not online
+126|5832|Australia
why remove the rest of the races?

i was getting used to tau
https://battlelog-cdn.battlefield.com/public/profile/bf3/kit-icon-recon.png?v=3173239
Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5981|Perth, Australia

Acreta wrote:

Cut them some slack. How many RTS games come with 9 factions as standard?

The other factions will be added and then it'll keep the game fresh.

p.s. I too quite liked the tau
dtacs
say that 2 my face fucker not online
+126|5832|Australia

Rod Foxx wrote:

Acreta wrote:

true, but i just hope they don't get Sims syndrome and release them in little increments causing the game to overall cost 800 dollars
https://battlelog-cdn.battlefield.com/public/profile/bf3/kit-icon-recon.png?v=3173239
The_Guardsman
Tally Ho!!
+81|6743|I'm not sure.... Buts its dark

Acreta wrote:

Rod Foxx wrote:

Acreta wrote:

true, but i just hope they don't get Sims syndrome and release them in little increments causing the game to overall cost 800 dollars
You never know they might release them as Downloadable contents like alot of other games are doing.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6683|Espoo, Finland
I want this.
Sgt.Davi
+300|6641|England
D/Ling beta now...fuck my shite download speeds...im maxing at 110kb/s atm
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6683|Espoo, Finland

Sgt.Davi wrote:

D/Ling beta now...fuck my shite download speeds...im maxing at 110kb/s atm
Did you get into the beta or are you acquiring it?
If you answered yes to any of those questions PM me a link
Sgt.Davi
+300|6641|England
Im in the beta as an owner of Soulstorm.

Urgh..how can I increase my Download speed from Steam....all other comps in the house are off but m still getting a rubbish rate...like 40kbs

Last edited by Sgt.Davi (2009-01-21 10:45:32)

Mugen
+19|5997
steam servers probably fubar'd in that case i guess. because everyone wants the beta - including me hah

Last edited by Mugen (2009-01-21 10:47:11)

Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6445|Boulder, CO

Sgt.Davi wrote:

Im in the beta as an owner of Soulstorm.

Urgh..how can I increase my Download speed from Steam....all other comps in the house are off but m still getting a rubbish rate...like 40kbs
Close all other internet using programs, serisously msn and xfire will remove speed. As of course will browsing the web.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard