Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6495|Sydney, Australia
Hey everyone, I know some of you have very keen noses for this sort of thing, so please give a brother a hand. I'm looking to buy a car, and here is one which is really cheap (normal retail price for this car would be ~10k) so I just want to know if I'm being scammed.

Link to car

She also wrote me an email, here is the exact email:

Hello,

I am pleased that you are interested in my 2000 Toyota Celica . The price I hope to sell my car for is $4,200.00 AU . First i  have to let you know that I am currently in London(UK) because my husband is from UK and we decided to move here as he got a very good job offer and he wanted to be closer to his parents. I am selling it because the money spent with the movement was more than I expected and our financial situation is going from bad to worse.I need the money fast and that is why it is so cheap. I will cover all the shipping fees and the insurance as well (FREE SHIPPING !). You will not have to pay additional taxes, just the price for it. The car is in perfect condition, ONLY 95500 KM,1,794 cc engine,Metallic black, 6 speed manual gearbox,. I still have the original 2slot CD/tape player which will be included.
Please  let me know if you want to see more pics.

I will apreciate a fast answer from your part
So what do you guys think?

OK, update:

I sent her two emails requesting the location of the car, more pictures and the VIN (vehicle identification number).

Here is her reply:

Hi again,

Thanks for your interest in my 2000 Toyota Celica VVTi .It is in imaculate condition and has no schrach on and hasn't been involved in any accident.
The motor runs very well.clear title in my hand registred in NSW Sydney, bill of sale signed by me), it has only 95500 Km on it, SHOWROOM CONDITION.
My husband is employed at Lufthansa Corporation and he has a special status and facility regarding cargo transportation. I will even pay for the shipping back to my location if you reject the car.
With this facility that my husband has , I agree to cover all the shipping costs.That is the reason that I chose to sell it worldwide.I will ship via Lufthansa air cargo and once it arrives to your closest airport it will be trailed to your house.Total price for you will be $4,200.00 AU.
Shipping takes less than 2-3 days.Also , after you will recive the car , you have 3 days to inspect all details , the car and all the papers. Also , i reccomad you to make a inspection at a good dealer or service.
Air Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Stereo, Catalytic Converter, CD Player, Central Locking, Climate Control, Electric Windows, Leather Seats, Power-assisted Steering (PAS), Premium Sound System, Rear Spoiler, Tilt Steering Wheel, Tow Bar,Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Driver Airbag, Immobiliser, Passenger Airbag, Rear seat belts, Safety Belt Pretensioners, Side Airbags .
alarm, immobiliser, power steering, electric windows, air conditioning, electronic climate control (not the manual found on some models), 16" alloy wheels plus full spare alloy wheel, MP3 Cd player with JBL power series amp and 12" 1600w sub in boot (can easily be removed), rear spoiler, central locking, driver/passenger/side airbags.
Waiting your email if you are interested.

Best Regards,

Diane Burley
EDIT 2:

This is the email she replied back with. It most certainly looks like a scam. Any idea on how to deal with this?

Hi,

The car will be shipped from UK and everything will be done through DLPlogistics. Here is how you are protected by DLPlogistics, in case we have a deal:They are acting like a third party in this deal.They will keep the payment until you receive the car and test it.

If you will not receive the car as i described to you, although this is not the case, DLPlogistics will refund you with 100% from the whole amount which you paid me. Even in case you will not receive the car, they will refund you the money.
After you receive and see that the car is the one you want, you just notify DLPlogistics to forward  me the payment details in order for me to pick up my money.

E-mail me asap if you agree with my terms and we will have a deal.
I will need your address where you want the car to arrive.

They web site is :  www.dlplogistics.kilu.de

PS. Please send me your full name and address (for delivery) and I will email to DLPlogistics. After that they will reply to you with all the info you need.

My best wishes and I'm waiting your response so we can move forward with this deal.

Diane Burley
As a result of this, I have decided to start a fake email address. This is the first email I sent her:

Hi Diane, firstly I'd like to apologise for the change of email address, my other address has now been closed because it was filling up with junkmail, but of course that isn't going to stop our legitimate business.

Secondly, thank you for your arrangement. It seems so secure and safe, I can't possibly think of anything which can go wrong, I am very glad our transaction is getting along nicely. However, since the car is overseas and I do not wish to waste your time (especially with the baby due) I want to do a quick vehicle history check before getting you to send it over. If you could send me the VIN or engine number of the car it'd be greatly appreciated. Furthermore, does DLP logistics also need my bank account number? I have emailed them and they say they use such information solely to make the transaction more efficient. I just wanted to check with you (as you see to have some experience in dealing with DLP) if this was standard practise.

Finally, do you have any more pictures, preferably time stamped? I'd love to see more of this car.

Please reply ASAP, I'm eager with anticipation.

Last edited by Vub (2009-01-12 15:07:34)

CrazeD
+368|6674|Maine
How does she want the payment?
Vub
The Power of Two
I don't know, we haven't gotten that far into the transaction yet.
CrazeD
+368|6674|Maine
Well if she wants something like Western Union or an Escrow service, back away.
Vub
The Power of Two

CrazeD wrote:

Well if she wants something like Western Union or an Escrow service, back away.
Does the email look like a scammer's email? It checks out with the ad, but then again it doesn't really tell me much.

I'm going to ask her if the car is in Sydney and whether I can inspect it before purchasing it, otherwise I'll say to her I'll only pay for the car once it arrives.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6223|Brisneyland
Sounds fishy to me mate.
I have checked "Red book" which is usually a good guide for car prices and they say the following:

Redbook wrote:

* Private Price Guide $13,700 - $15,800

* Trade In Price Guide $10,600 - $12,700

* Average Km 80,000 - 140,000
So unless it is an absolute bargain, It sounds dodgy. If you are still keen then go and have a look at it, but with both owners being overseas, you have no chance gettign money back if it all goes wrong.

Cheapest I could find on Carpoint was $13500 and it had more kilometers. I would avoid it mate.
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Do not give her any more info on yourself and do not pay for it. I'll have a closer look in the morning, but I doubt my view will change.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
Sounds very suspicious. Good offer, car in excellent condition, I need the money now, reply quickly, etc.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

jord wrote:

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Do not give her any more info on yourself and do not pay for it. I'll have a closer look in the morning, but I doubt my view will change.
Exactly. Best bet is arrange to see the car. If she doesn't want to do that, I wouldn't risk it.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6223|Brisneyland
Also if she is legit get her to quote the details like VIN and engine number the go to this site: http://www.carsales.com.au/car-research/car-facts/

Pay some money and get a certificate that will tell you if there is any finance owing or if it has been a write off.
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.

ghettoperson wrote:

jord wrote:

Exactly. Best bet is arrange to see the car. If she doesn't want to do that, I wouldn't risk it.
Quite. Ask to take the car for a test drive and if she denies call her a scamming bitch and that's that. If she agrees and the car is great then awesome, you are in the 1% of deals that are fucking awesome and not a scam.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6557|Kent, UK
email ur reply back asap!

But almost definitely a scam, has all the classic signs. You'll find that they send you a cheque for the shipping or something, then will tell you once you've paid it into your account that they have got a cheaper deal on the shipping so you need to wire the money back to them via western union as soon as it clears so they can get the cheaper shipping.
Then the bank will discover that the cheque is fraudulent and withdraw the funds from your account, your account will also probably be closed because it's been used for clearing fraud. You're left with a fraud marker against your name and address, unable to open a proper bank account and owing your existing bank money.

I've seen it a couple times at work, and it always sucks for the victim.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6512|Gold Coast
Yea sounds dodgy.

Look at the email, its pretty much following the same format as a 419. i.e. need money quick, need your answer quick, we're running out of money etc etc.

Also, wheres the car located? If its in the UK and she's sending it to Aus with free shipping, I can smell a heap of bs.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6392|fåking denmark

KuSTaV wrote:

Also, wheres the car located? If its in the UK and she's sending it to Aus with free shipping, I can smell a heap of bs.
Then it purely a scam.

It would be more expensive to ship it to Aus, then what the price of the car is..
Vub
The Power of Two
I'm asking her to email her reply back asap. I've requested to know the location of the car and more pictures. If she replies satisfactorily, I'll ask her for the VIN and possibly arrange a test drive. If the car is in the UK then I'll start looking for something else.

Thank you all, I'll keep you posted of the outcome.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

KuSTaV wrote:

Then it purely a scam.

It would be more expensive to ship it to Aus, then what the price of the car is..
On the other hand if they are genuinely moving/based in London now, and the car is in Australia... then it's just a big burden that's too expensive to ship off. I can imagine a big relocation to another country is pretty stressful and tugs on the pursestrings a bit as well; the possibility of her being genuine and seriously being desperate to flog the car and offload it asap isn't so unrealistic. It is too good to be true though, be cautious about it, but do not dismiss it. Recommended price-guides and the usual norms kinda go out the window in this scenario, especially with the wider economic climate in which not everyone is sitting financially savvy and wants to wait to get a 'fair price' on their sales.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6287|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" ~ The real hustle
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6392|fåking denmark

Uzique wrote:

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

KuSTaV wrote:

Then it purely a scam.

On the other hand if they are genuinely moving/based in London now, and the car is in Australia... then it's just a big burden that's too expensive to ship off. I can imagine a big relocation to another country is pretty stressful and tugs on the pursestrings a bit as well; the possibility of her being genuine and seriously being desperate to flog the car and offload it asap isn't so unrealistic. It is too good to be true though, be cautious about it, but do not dismiss it. Recommended price-guides and the usual norms kinda go out the window in this scenario, especially with the wider economic climate in which not everyone is sitting financially savvy and wants to wait to get a 'fair price' on their sales.
I forgot a 'probably' between the 'would' and the 'be'.

But yeah your (kinda) right.
If she's so desperate for money, then I think she would sell it for a bit more, since I think shipping the car from UK to Aus would cost more then AU$1000.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6576|London
Probably a repaired cat D. Either way, avoid.
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6221|Phoenix, AZ
If it is an AUS, then tell her that you want it inspected...

Tell her you will drive it, and let it get inspected, if it passes inspection then great you will pay for it, if it doesn't, make her pay for it
(she wont agree to if she knows it wont pass, either) if it does then you just pay like a hundred bucks to be sure

This is what my brother did, it turned out that the car WOULDN'T EVEN PASS STATE INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS...

but we had a friend who was a mechanic who did it for a heavily discounted price, and idk how expensive or convenient it is for a mechanic to check out

gl, kick ass if its legit
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6711|Sweden
call her.. personally i would be extremely cautious if i would buy a car i couldnt see with my own eyes, and see the owner in her/his eyes.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
use the money you are saving to fly or drive to go see the car and inspect the title.

could be a solid deal.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6578|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
If she has the car with her ATM ask for the classic...Picture with timestamp, shoes on head etc etc...Try and make her have pic of her inside said car. Not totally fool proof but if she refuse it will give you a good hint.
Vub
The Power of Two

Roger Lesboules wrote:

If she has the car with her ATM ask for the classic...Picture with timestamp, shoes on head etc etc...Try and make her have pic of her inside said car. Not totally fool proof but if she refuse it will give you a good hint.
I'm not sure if that will work, I mean I wouldn't give someone I don't know a picture of myself.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6454|The Twilight Zone
You're from AUS-don't order a car from foreign country, only the shipping will cost a fortune. Buy one that is close to your hometown and test it. Sounds very fishy to me. I wouldn't go for it.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard