Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6854|Reykjavík, Iceland.

rdx-fx wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Where the hell do I get a key? Do I need to buy some stupid subscription to get a key?....
No, MS delayed putting out the Keys - citing 'demand related infrastructure issues'.
I'll assume that someone will post a link in this thread, will keep vigilant
rdx-fx
+955|6602

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Mine is only giving me like a 500MB file.  What am I doing wrong here?
I've had the download puke a couple of times.

Need to use a download manager that has resume support for downloads, looks like.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6297|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

CrazeD wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

JoshP wrote:

Yes there is. It BSOD'd every 2 hours or so for me, people tell my it's my "vista hating hardware" - but that same hardware works perfectly fine with a newer O/S - but if it was actually obsolete and vista was fine, then it should be just as bad. No. Vista is bad. It dies too much. XP and Windows 7 are good and don't crash/give compatibility errors/cry because you have old hardware.

tl;dr w7 > xp > vista
2nd'ed

I have yet to see a single, trouble-free Vista PC...
Mine.

If you're getting BSOD's, then a piece of hardware is not stable and/or drivers are wrong. Perhaps you installed it with an overclock?

My Vista is perfectly stable, no problems at all. In fact, some programs that are prone to freezing in XP lock up the whole system, whereas when those programs freeze in Vista it does not lock up the whole system. My Vista starts faster, looks better, and has nearly the same in-game performance. I will admit that XP gives me a little bit better performance in games, but the difference isn't that great. Maybe 10-20 FPS.

So, sorry, you're just doing it wrong.
or: you are one of the lucky ones?

I have never gotten a BSOD on vista.. but plenty of other stuff is a pain in the arse... like random drops of internet connection (wired aswell as wireless) where the only solution is a hard reboot...

settings that are a bitch to find because microsoft desided to dumb everything down -.-

UAC is a pain too, but doesn't count since it can be disabled...

and Vista is a bitch when it comes to connecting to wireless Accesspoints... 50/50 chance of your vistaPC beeing able to connect with WPA2
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN
Well i'll let you guys know if you can install it with or without a key.  Only got 10mins left on the download.
Sydney
2λчиэλ

FloppY_ wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

2nd'ed

Mine.

If you're getting BSOD's, then a piece of hardware is not stable and/or drivers are wrong. Perhaps you installed it with an overclock?

My Vista is perfectly stable, no problems at all. In fact, some programs that are prone to freezing in XP lock up the whole system, whereas when those programs freeze in Vista it does not lock up the whole system. My Vista starts faster, looks better, and has nearly the same in-game performance. I will admit that XP gives me a little bit better performance in games, but the difference isn't that great. Maybe 10-20 FPS.

I have never gotten a BSOD on vista.. but plenty of other stuff is a pain in the arse... like random drops of internet connection (wired aswell as wireless) where the only solution is a hard reboot...

settings that are a bitch to find because microsoft desided to dumb everything down -.-

and Vista is a bitch when it comes to connecting to wireless Accesspoints... 50/50 chance of your vistaPC beeing able to connect with WPA2
I used to have BSODs, random bugs, etc, etc, etc. Got another copy of it from another source and haven't had a single problem since.
FloppY_
­

Sydney wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Mine.

I used to have BSODs, random bugs, etc, etc, etc. Got another copy of it from another source and haven't had a single problem since.
I am happy with my legal XP thx...

I will probably "loan" a version of XP to keep me afloat untill Win7 is released and cured of child-diseases...
Vista is not getting anywhere near my new hardware...

All the problems I have had has been with LEGAL purchased copies of Vista, even some that come pre-installed with laptops...

And I have had problems on multiple computers, my own, as well as others'

also: Downloading @ 650kbps
I will probably tripple boot this with XP and Ubuntu on my PC @ work/school since I found two HDDs the other day

Last edited by FloppY_ (2009-01-09 14:28:21)

CrazeD
+368|6684|Maine

FloppY_ wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

2nd'ed

Mine.

I don't have any problem with internet connectivity.

What settings are you talking about? Everything is the same as XP, except the networking configuration is a little different (which I'll agree, that is a bit annoying).

UAC shouldn't even be mentioned, especially if you use Linux. It takes 5 seconds to turn it off and then it is never a problem again. Quit bitching about it.

I don't have wireless so I can't comment there.
FloppY_
­

CrazeD wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Mine.

I don't have any problem with internet connectivity.

What settings are you talking about? Everything is the same as XP, except the networking configuration is a little different (which I'll agree, that is a bit annoying).

UAC shouldn't even be mentioned, especially if you use Linux. It takes 5 seconds to turn it off and then it is never a problem again. Quit bitching about it.

I don't have wireless so I can't comment there.
@ Configuration menus
I just hate the fact that microsoft filtered out the old tab menus of XP e.g. in networking and right click desktop -> properties

Now it just feels like every small and related setting has been hidden away in each end of the OS
JoshP
Banned
+176|5700|Notts, UK

CrazeD wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

JoshP wrote:

Yes there is. It BSOD'd every 2 hours or so for me, people tell my it's my "vista hating hardware" - but that same hardware works perfectly fine with a newer O/S - but if it was actually obsolete and vista was fine, then it should be just as bad. No. Vista is bad. It dies too much. XP and Windows 7 are good and don't crash/give compatibility errors/cry because you have old hardware.

tl;dr w7 > xp > vista
2nd'ed

Mine.

Didn't install it with an overclock...
Hardware is clearly stable as it works perfectly on Windows XP (old) and Windows 7 (new)
Drivers, well, i would imagine at this point, drivers are identical for W7 and Vista, and probably the same as XP for my aging hardware. So if Windows XP and 7 both work perfectly, why can't Vista cope? (excluding the obvious reason, that vista is shite)

CrazeD wrote:

In fact, some programs that are prone to freezing in XP lock up the whole system, whereas when those programs freeze in Vista it does not lock up the whole system.
Change XP to Vista and vice versa, and you have my situation
Except, few things freeze in XP, and those that do are quickly killed with taskkill /im <processname.exe> /f /t , so I hardly notice it.

Games? Bleh, never really bothered installing games on Vista (it was meant to be a "work" install ), so I can't comment there. Then again, when you're getting 30FPS normally due to shit hardware, losing 10-20 due to Vista would be kinda raep

@ Floppy, never had any of those problems you've described Apart from Wireless being a bit more buggy, and it sometimes gets confused after a d/c and refuses to reconnect.

@ Sydney, both my XP and Vista are both "legal" (downloaded from MSDN (the student one), ignore the fact that I wasn't eligible )

When I get a 500GB/1TB HDD for my Downloads/Music etc, i'll make loads of partitions on this one, XP, W7, Fedora, and maybe even OSX for lolz
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN
Running it now.  Its looks good.  Seems a bit shaky though.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6750|Toronto | Canada

Still no keys up...
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN
Both my nForce drivers and my nVidia drivers installed 100% without issues.  However drivers for my xfi card are no existent.
FloppY_
­

Naturn wrote:

Both my nForce drivers and my nVidia drivers installed 100% without issues.  However drivers for my xfi card are no existent.
Pfft, creative
amirite?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6750|Toronto | Canada

Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal -- we’re in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We’re sorry for the delay and we’ll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.
Grrr...
JoshP
Banned
+176|5700|Notts, UK
I pirated Build 7000 and it didn't even need a key

Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN
Another update.

I got the X-Fi drivers to install.  You have to set permissions to "Vista".
DirectX 9.0c installed correctly
OpenAL installed correctly
3DMark06 installed correctly(Will post score in a bit.)
Steam installed correctly
Sydney
2λчиэλ
They'll probably release the keys early in the morning for us eurofags, so the only ones who get the beta are americans and those few eurofags who pull an all nighter. (Assuming 2.5 million will be registered in one night)
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN
I think they finally fixed the mic issues from Vista.

https://www.digital-sickness.net/Uploader/files/1/Windows_7/w7_sound.jpg

Last edited by Naturn (2009-01-10 10:55:29)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6450|King Of The Islands

JoshP wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

There's nothing wrong with Vista.
Yes there is. It BSOD'd every 2 hours or so for me, people tell my it's my "vista hating hardware" - but that same hardware works perfectly fine with a newer O/S
Ya don't say.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
JoshP
Banned
+176|5700|Notts, UK

Cheez wrote:

JoshP wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

There's nothing wrong with Vista.
Yes there is. It BSOD'd every 2 hours or so for me, people tell my it's my "vista hating hardware" - but that same hardware works perfectly fine with a newer O/S
Ya don't say.
i dunt geddit
CrazeD
+368|6684|Maine

JoshP wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

2nd'ed

Mine.

Didn't install it with an overclock...
Hardware is clearly stable as it works perfectly on Windows XP (old) and Windows 7 (new)
Drivers, well, i would imagine at this point, drivers are identical for W7 and Vista, and probably the same as XP for my aging hardware. So if Windows XP and 7 both work perfectly, why can't Vista cope? (excluding the obvious reason, that vista is shite)

CrazeD wrote:

In fact, some programs that are prone to freezing in XP lock up the whole system, whereas when those programs freeze in Vista it does not lock up the whole system.
Change XP to Vista and vice versa, and you have my situation
Except, few things freeze in XP, and those that do are quickly killed with taskkill /im <processname.exe> /f /t , so I hardly notice it.

Games? Bleh, never really bothered installing games on Vista (it was meant to be a "work" install ), so I can't comment there. Then again, when you're getting 30FPS normally due to shit hardware, losing 10-20 due to Vista would be kinda raep

@ Floppy, never had any of those problems you've described Apart from Wireless being a bit more buggy, and it sometimes gets confused after a d/c and refuses to reconnect.

@ Sydney, both my XP and Vista are both "legal" (downloaded from MSDN (the student one), ignore the fact that I wasn't eligible )

When I get a 500GB/1TB HDD for my Downloads/Music etc, i'll make loads of partitions on this one, XP, W7, Fedora, and maybe even OSX for lolz
I think I find your problem: Aging and shit hardware.

Also remember that drivers are very different from XP to Vista, because they don't share the same kernal. Drivers that are 100% stable in XP may very well be shit in Vista. You cannot blame Vista for this fact, as that has nothing to do with Vista and everything to do with whoever makes your drivers.
rdx-fx
+955|6602
Well, Windows 7-64bit doesn't seem to want to update properly.

as in.. it just flat out will NOT update.

Same exact PC will update just fine under Windows 7-32bit
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6617|Greenwood, IN
Did you happen to get a key?  Cause if you didn't that could be why.  I have not received mine yet.
rdx-fx
+955|6602
No key, but neither do I have a key for the 32-bit version and it updates fine.

Took the slow boat: manually searched and downloaded the main 64-bit updates from catalog.windowsupdate.microsoft.com (or whatever it is) based on which updates the 32-bit version had downloaded.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6660

When the fuck are they going to stop making 32bit OS's?! They may as well make a 16bit one as well.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard