Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6481|Tyne & Wear, England
So I go to switch on my PS3 and it powers up as normal for a couple of seconds.  The green power light then turns yellow briefly, the system makes 3 beeps and shuts down.  The LED then precedes to flash red.  Anyway the top and bottom of the story is that it's fucked.

I'm out of warranty and it's a 60GB PS3 (the 60GB ones have been discontinued in the UK).

Has anyone on BF2s had a similar problem?  What was the process involved in getting it fixed / replaced, i.e. how long did it take, how much did it cost etc?

And for fucks sake, please keep the fanboyism out of this
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Ioan92
+337|5740
What? The red ring of fire virus mutated to strike PS3's now!?

Damn.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6784|UK
you checked online, most of the problems i have heard of can be fixed very easily at home.

there might be a chance you have to send it off for repair, only takes a week or so though.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6709|Devon, England
Google tells me people who have this problem come to the conclusion it's an over-heating problem. Try opening it and getting dust out etc.
spray_and_pray
+52|6509|Perth. Western Australia
Give it a good smack a couple of times, that normally gets them back on track.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6639|London, England
I've heard, it's been called the yellow light of death
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6667
Fucking twice now.

The first time was because of some standard fuck up inside the playstation. Shipped it off and got a new one within 7 weeks. The new one has now buggered up and the red light turns on but there's no response to either of the controllers or the tv.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6596|Columbus, OH
Did you have a first gen xbox 360 and lexmark printer on the same network as your PS3?  I think they shared the same suckness onto your PS3.
If not too late, remove them from the network.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge

Vilham wrote:

you checked online, most of the problems i have heard of can be fixed very easily at home.

there might be a chance you have to send it off for repair, only takes a week or so though.
Yeah I checked all of the 'self help' tips online, tried them and none worked.

Anyway I rang them up, and after being on hold for 15 mins they took my details and are sending a courier to swap a new PS3 with my damaged one.  Not only that but I'm getting another 60GB model (the best one tbh).  And it will be free, I didn't expect that with it being out of warranty.

So thanks Sony for your efficiency and generosity
blah
macaroni with cheeseeee
+111|5765|Croatia
Have you ever wondered how your system magically decides to break just about when the warranty ends?
TrueMusou
+36|6179|United States Of Hamerica
That happened to me about a year ago. The thing froze up, beeped and wouldn't read any discs. Sony was very helpful, sent me a box and got another one back in a week.

BUT!!! Here's the kicker!!!

Sunsofbitches at the repair center didn't fix mines, they sent me a "refurbished" PS3 where it had now a different problem. It read discs, but would freeze almost like clock work, every 5 minutes or so. Then the box came again, and another one came back...good?

NO! Fuckers did it again and gave me a "refurbished" PS3 that wouldn't fucking turn on.

The fourth time was the charm...and this PS3 has been good to me for more than a year now.

Sony was very quick with each transaction in terms of sending the boxes and sending back the PS3, however there obviously was a price to pay for haste. Sunsofbitches disregarded attention to detail and sent back defective units. They should really label the "bricked" pile vs "refurbished." Get their shit together.

Anyways, good thing you could get your PS3 fixed even after the warranty expired.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
Damn that just sounds plain unlucky ^^

Hopefully I won't suffer the same fate
GR34
+215|6563|ALBERTA> CANADA
Should have installed linux
VicktorVauhn
+319|6410|Southern California

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Fucking twice now.

The first time was because of some standard fuck up inside the playstation. Shipped it off and got a new one within 7 weeks. The new one has now buggered up and the red light turns on but there's no response to either of the controllers or the tv.
Hopefully your not this dumb but....

the red light is only the stand by light, the controller won't make the console do anything until you pair it by plugging it in to the console via usb cable and pressing the PS logo

(just making sure you aren't sitting there trying to turn it on with an un paired controller )
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6667

VicktorVauhn wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Fucking twice now.

Hopefully your not this dumb but....

the red light is only the stand by light, the controller won't make the console do anything until you pair it by plugging it in to the console via usb cable and pressing the PS logo

(just making sure you aren't sitting there trying to turn it on with an un paired controller )
hahaha nah I'm not that dumb.

The ps3 isn't responding at all to the TV either so I have no idea what's wrong. Annoying really since I came back from uni really wanting to play the bloody thing.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5922|CA

FFLink13 wrote:

Try opening it and getting dust out etc.
Remember when blowing into the SNES games, it would fix any problems?

We need more of that technology.

Last edited by TopHat01 (2009-01-07 00:20:18)

RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6423|NSW, Australia

blah wrote:

Have you ever wondered how your system magically decides to break just about when the warranty ends?
lol yea my 360 broke a week before the warranty expired

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard