Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/produc … Cookie=Yes

The Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans: Colorful Characters Stuck in the Footnotes of History
https://i39.tinypic.com/2nhdpux.jpg

“History,” wrote Thomas Carlyle, “is the essence of innumerable biographies.” Yet countless fascinating characters are relegated to a historical limbo. In A Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans, Michael Farquhar has scoured the annals and rescued thirty of the most intriguing, unusual, and yes, memorable Americans from obscurity. From the mother of Mother’s Day to Paul Revere’s rival rider, the Mayflower murderer to “America’s Sherlock Holmes,” these figures are more than historical runners-up—they’re the spies, explorers, patriots, and martyrs without whom history as we know it would be very different indeed.
On the verge of using a credit.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5996|Vortex Ring State
A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich. Gulag life 101. Great book tbh.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

fermatx wrote:

Yessss!  I read that story in 9th grade and immediately dove into Gulag Archipelago.  If you haven't read it (Gulag Archipelago) I recommend it greatly.  I just reread it last year, still an amazing book that leaves you bewildered and angry. RIP Solzhenetsyin
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159474 … _ts_04_02/

https://i39.tinypic.com/2m33b08.jpg

...features the original text of Jane Austen's beloved novel with all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie action. As our story opens a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Complete with 20 illustrations in the style of C. E. Brock (the original illustrator of Pride and Prejudice) this insanely funny expanded edition will introduce Jane Austen's classic novel to new legions of fans.

I loled (at the review). I have not read it... yet.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

fermatx wrote:

Yessss!  I read that story in 9th grade and immediately dove into Gulag Archipelago.  If you haven't read it (Gulag Archipelago) I recommend it greatly.  I just reread it last year, still an amazing book that leaves you bewildered and angry. RIP Solzhenetsyin
Solzhenitsyn' is indeed a great stuff, but just as everything of the kind that's ment to leave you "bewildered and angry" it's to be taken with a grain of salt.

just in case anybody's actually interested in getting into russian literature (which Solzhenitsyn' work, with all due respect, is just not), i'd suggest starting with Mikhail Bulgakov: his novel The Master and Margarita is supposed to be widely known, translated and available. i won't reproduce any reviews here and won't wright any of my own - i personally never read any reviews beforehand, those always spoil stuff for me. i'd just let whoever's interested to see what could a brilliant artistic mind produce while stuck within a major fuckup like moscow of 1930-es discover that for themselves.

p.s. i'd be mighty interested to hear from those who read that novel about their impressions .
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia
okay, since you bombed my recomendation post together with all the off-topicness (pretty unfair imo since you left ken's post stay), i'll repost:

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Amazon link)

i won't reproduce any reviews here and won't wright any of my own - i personally never read any, reviews always spoil stuff for me. i'd just let whoever's interested to see what could a brilliant artistic mind produce while stuck within a major fuckup like moscow of 1930-es discover that for themselves. but let me assure you: this novel is really one-of-a-kind, i'm pretty sure you've never read anything like it before .
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5996|Vortex Ring State
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky (?) Another great book, but this time, it's a crime drama. With complex commentary on Russian Life (Before the Soviets fucked it up, of course).

I read too much Russian Literature. It's so good though.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6703|67.222.138.85

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/F … tliers.gif

Outliers: The Story of Success

Recommend

Malcom Gladwell, someone I would consider to be a contemporary genius, has also written The Tipping Point and Blink, the likes of which I hope most of you are familiar with. In a similar style Gladwell takes on the idea of success this time, taking some common and some uncommon examples of what most would consider success and examines just what exactly made them successful. Was it innate talent that made the Beatles what they were, or did they just play an awful lot? Are the players on the Canadian junior hockey leagues really the premiere, up and coming stars, or is the country using only roughly half of their talent? These are the kinds of specific examples Gladwell brilliantly uses to show us that while there are very specific, measurable variables that cause success at the micro level with little doubt, these same principles can apply at a macro scale as well. If taken to heart, the ideas put for can and should change the way society looks at success, to make more people more successful more often.

Quite frankly, if you have not bought this book or other books by this author, you are in for a treat. His books are stimulating and thoroughly entertaining, often in the same style of Freakonomics of taking seemingly obtuse example and making a very clear case out of it. It's a fairly short read, but one that will keep you entertained from cover to cover while giving you ideas that if taken to heart could very well change your outlook on life for the better.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ … k_code=as1
I just finished reading this book a few days ago.  Calling Gladwell a contemporary genius would be a stretch lol.  The book is a light read and Gladwell's ideas are written very clearly and easy to understand.  I would classify the idea of this book as, "something obviously true that you've thought about before" but Gladwell does do a thorough job making it simple and easy to understand.  I kind of found myself saying, "Duh" a lot during the reading.  To me this book is interesting not for the main point it puts across (that there are many factors besides will, drive and intelligence that shape "outliers") but more for the lessons we learn from stories of sucess and how we can apply them in different arenas.  Gladwell uses an example of a Korean Airlines crash to explain how Korean cultural attitudes needed to be addressed and updated for the 21st century and I think this idea and others mentioned in the book could be applied to many different areas of our own culture and institutions.  In that regard I think the value of the book is not in the explanation of steps to success but in the way we can apply the lessons to other areas of life and interaction.

I recommend the book to all because it is a good read, I just don't worship the ground that Gladwell walks on like FM

Next up is a re-read of Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond (mostly because I've run out of new books at this moment).
The other books are less "duh" and more originally insightful.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command
I can't recommend highly enough The Dark Tower by Stephen king.

bit players in the saga include novels;
The Regulators
Hearts in Atlantis
Salems Lot
The Talisman

It's Clint Eastwood meets soap opera meets sci-fi.
One star player is a boy named Jack who knows there are other worlds than these.
A vampire hunting priest.
A wheel chair bound black lady.
And A Gunslinger, with bombardiers eyes and rosewood handled .45 guns.

dada-chock dada-chee dada-chum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gunslinger
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
Reading 'The Third Wave' by Alvin Toffler.
Was written a few years ago but makes good sense of the social changes we are seeing now, in the context of development up to this point.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6623|Canada
Spandau Pheonix by Greg Ilse. very very very good read if you are into WW2 history.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

destruktion_6143 wrote:

Spandau Pheonix by Greg Ilse. very very very good read if you are into WW2 history.
Black Cross was another excellent WW2-related book of his. Too bad he hasn't written anything of that genre since. His other books are quite good as well...just more murder mystery type set in modern-day Southern US.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6571|London

IG-Calibre wrote:

at the minute i'm half way through "Lords of the bow" the 2nd book in Conn Iggulden's fictional trilogy about Genghis Khan, and it's brilliant, i'd highly recommend  "emperor " his fictional series about the life of Julius Caesar.  10/10 all the way..

http://www.conniggulden.com

Also  Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander" series is well worth a visit too

http://www.wwnorton.com/pob/pobhome.htm
the khan trilogy are better than the roman ones imo
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Aries_37 wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

at the minute i'm half way through "Lords of the bow" the 2nd book in Conn Iggulden's fictional trilogy about Genghis Khan, and it's brilliant, i'd highly recommend  "emperor " his fictional series about the life of Julius Caesar.  10/10 all the way..

http://www.conniggulden.com

Also  Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander" series is well worth a visit too

http://www.wwnorton.com/pob/pobhome.htm
the khan trilogy are better than the roman ones imo
I can't find the second Genghis Khan book in paperback...but the third is available in hardcover.

Anything by Conn Iggulden is worth a read.

And David L. Robbins, as well. Currently reading "The Betrayal Game" about early 60's Cuba. Interesting historical fiction, just like all his other books (War of the Rats, The Citadel, etc).
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6646
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. For those of you who read and enjoyed The Kite Runner then I suggest you buy yourself a copy of this book.

It's quite similar to the style adopted in The Kite Runner, and is pretty insightful creating a very detailed setting that describes Afghani culture pre-Taliban and mid-communist take over.

Good read.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command
The Keeper Of The Caves

http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/5092_m.html

I thought this was a great classic desert read. The Depression, the desert, and gold fever all interact to change the course of Jack Mitchell and his wife Ida's lives. Their story of moving out to the desert and making a life is as southwestern as they come. The Mitchells survive, and then thrive due to courage, hard work, savvy, and a deep sense of decency apparent in all Jack Mitchell's tales. The desert itself and the Mitchell caverns, and all the guests who passed through the resort are vividly portrayed by Mitchell's writing. Although it takes a little while to get used to Mitchell's somewhat folksy style, by the end of the book, you feel you know him and Ida like family.

https://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/images/keeper_cave.jpg
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6646

FEOS wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. For those of you who read and enjoyed The Kite Runner then I suggest you buy yourself a copy of this book.

It's quite similar to the style adopted in The Kite Runner, and is pretty insightful creating a very detailed setting that describes Afghani culture pre-Taliban and mid-communist take over.

Good read.
Pretty sure someone already recommended that one.
...that's great.

God's War

Christopher Tyerman

A very very very long historical piece on the crusades which I'm beginning to find absolutely awesome. Have barely gotten half way yet but I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about the religious conflicts prior to the 1100s, the actual crusades...I'd say more but this how far I've gotten.

Around a 1000 pages so read it while on holiday.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6538|Texas - Bigger than France
Recommend

Carnage And Culture
By Victor Davis Hanson

The books Hanson writes are much different than his newspaper columns and politics - he's a Neo-Con.  He has written many books about Ancient Greece and dabbled a little in WWII and the Civil War.  This book proposes that a society's culture is a major factor in determining its mettle on the battlefield.  If you've read Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs & Steel", Hanson has (although not in this book) criticize's Diamond's views that botany and geography determines whether a civilization's dominance for a few reasons.  My thought is both points are valid.

In "Carnage", Hanson examines battles which have been won despite overwhelming odds, and is specific on what ideological trait favored the underdog juxaposed by the absence of this ideals by the larger defeated force.  Hanson uses the basic tenants of Western ideology to illustrate each of these strengths, and takes it to some of the self-defeating ideals and weaknesses of Western ideology.

Battles and ideals examined:
Battle of Salamis (Greek) / Free citizens
Battle of Gaugamela (Macedonians) / Decisive battle of annihilation
Battle of Cannae (Carthage) / civic militarism
Battle of Tours/Poitiers / Infantry
Battle of Tenochitilan (Spain) / Technology and reason
Battle of Lepanto (Greek) / Capitalism
Rorke's Drift (Zulus) / discipline
Battle of Midway (US) / Individualism and self sacrifice
Tet Offensive (Vietnam) / Democratic dissent
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

I am starting this tonight.

What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848
https://i44.tinypic.com/rt1gsz.jpg
The Oxford History of the United States is by far the most respected multi-volume history of our nation. The series includes three Pulitzer Prize winners, a New York Times bestseller, and winners of the Bancroft and Parkman Prizes. Now, in What Hath God Wrought, historian Daniel Walker Howe

illuminates the period from the battle of New Orleans to the end of the Mexican-American War, an era when the United States expanded to the Pacific and won control over the richest part of the North American continent.

Howe's panoramic narrative portrays revolutionary improvements in transportation and communications that accelerated the extension of the American empire. Railroads, canals, newspapers, and the telegraph dramatically lowered travel times and spurred the spread of information. These innovations

prompted the emergence of mass political parties and stimulated America's economic development from an overwhelmingly rural country to a diversified economy in which commerce and industry took their place alongside agriculture. In his story, the author weaves together political and military events

with social, economic, and cultural history. He examines the rise of Andrew Jackson and his Democratic party, but contends that John Quincy Adams and other Whigs--advocates of public education and economic integration, defenders of the rights of Indians, women, and African-Americans--were the true

prophets of America's future. He reveals the power of religion to shape many aspects of American life during this period, including slavery and antislavery, women's rights and other reform movements, politics, education, and literature. Howe's story of American expansion culminates in the bitterly

controversial but brilliantly executed war waged against Mexico to gain California and Texas for the United States.

By 1848 America had been transformed. What Hath God Wrought provides a monumental narrative of this formative period in United States history.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

I also just got Cosmic Quest on audiobook. It seems a little elementary right now (at the beginning). It's still interesting though. The narration is superb.

https://i40.tinypic.com/4smq34.jpg

http://www.firstscience.com/home/articl … 48229.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz
BlAiR_AgaiN
+12|6342|Slovenia
Alamut by Vladimir Bartol
https://www.shrani.si/f/2d/Na/bqNpeah/200px-naslovnicaalamuta.png

The story is based on a life of the presumably first political terrorist, 11th century Ismaili leader Hasan ibn Sabbah.

Much more than a prophetic treatise or political allegory on terrorism, Alamut is a gripping story of one man’s unmanacled drive to play God and the human price paid by the innocent to fuel that drive.

I've read it some months ago for my schoolwork, I must say it gives quite some views on the justification of terrorism, especially after the war-on-terror has started. To sum it up, it gives you a lot to think about gruesome nature of the mankind and how can one threaten and nullify so many lives in order to achieve his goals. Extremely recommended (not just because the author is the same nationality as me:p).
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Kmarion wrote:

I am starting this tonight.

What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848
http://i44.tinypic.com/rt1gsz.jpg
The Oxford History of the United States is by far the most respected multi-volume history of our nation. The series includes three Pulitzer Prize winners, a New York Times bestseller, and winners of the Bancroft and Parkman Prizes. Now, in What Hath God Wrought, historian Daniel Walker Howe

Quincy Adams and other Whigs--advocates of public education and economic integration, defenders of the rights of Indians, women, and African-Americans--were the true

...prophets of America's future. He reveals the power of religion to shape many aspects of American life during this period, including slavery and antislavery, women's rights and other reform movements, politics, education, and literature. Howe's story of American expansion culminates in the bitterly controversial but brilliantly executed war waged against Mexico to gain California and Texas for the United States.

By 1848 America had been transformed. What Hath God Wrought provides a monumental narrative of this formative period in United States history.
Great book. There was an incredible amount of research that went into it. I highly recommend it if you enjoy American History.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5607|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
Liberty & Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto
By: Mark Levin

Summary: Liberty and Tyranny artfully presents a harmonious marriage of the timeless with the timely. On the one hand, the book is a thorough yet compact briefing on the major political issues of this era. On the other hand, the author brings to bear the principles of the American Founders and Framers of the Constitution (and the great thinkers who guided them), illustrating, dissecting, and explaining our current political arguments, while enlightening the reader with the genuine wisdom bequeathed to all of us -- the sacred trust of the Founders, embodied in the Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, and Federalist Papers, all of which are quoted and applied with insight and precision.

Think of it as an outstanding tutorial in applied political philosophy, and you will begin to grasp the scope of Mark Levin's achievement. The fact that the book is lucid, unpretentious, and utterly accessible to anyone who cares to focus and think, means that it will elevate the quality of political thought and dialogue across a broad swath of the American populace.

If you care passionately about America, and worry for its future -- and who doesn't, given the current national leadership? -- then you owe it to yourself to buy and devour this marvelous work. It is an essential antidote to what ails America at the moment.

Each chapter is a well-constructed essay, so the reader is quite free to read it a little at a time. But, unlike so many contemporary political works, it is also a well-constructed and coherent whole. So you may be tempted to stay up all night reading it as soon as a copy comes into your hands.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Tyranny-C … 1416562850

Pic: https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZNDm8TuRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Last edited by nickb64 (2009-05-20 07:20:55)

Protecus
Prophet of Certain Certainties
+28|6518
Oryx and Crake

https://emilypetes.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/oryxcrake.jpg

A dystopian themed novel following in the footsteps of Orwell's 1984, Oryx and Crake investigates the moral and ethical problems that come with unrivaled technological advancement. The protagonist, Snowman, is found at the opening of the novel in a world completely destroyed where he may be the last human alive. As the story continues, it turns out that Snowman was once the boy Jimmy who grew up in a world dominated by massive corporations, unharnessed capitalism, and boundless genetic advancement. However, despite all the technological wonders, Jimmy has a front row seat to the unraveling of the world through the very process that should have saved them all
Very interesting novel. It was actually an assignment for some General Ed english class, but I really enjoyed it.

May not change any minds, but it certainly made me think about a few things.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467
Wow, I'm currently being blown away by Oswald Spengler's The Decline of the West. Crazy philosophical and political posits... and by 'crazy' I mean disconcertingly applicable and true .
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard