Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6803|Reality

argo4 wrote:

you should  have a time stamped cell phone pic of your speedometer at the time you were caught, lol.
Wont count since a car's speedometer is NOT calibrated. It can't be calibrated since the speedometer depends on wheel diameter.
A car doing 93 with only a driver is not going the same speed at a fully loaded car also doing 93.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6553|N. Ireland
You can't fight this because you aren't right.
baggs
+732|6264
Just take it on the chin, don't you think courts are well prepared when it comes to persons disputing the fact they was speeding? You're not exactly the first person to be caught and you arguments are nothing but piss in the wind
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6625|Area 51

mtb0minime wrote:

And I plan on fighting this fucker in court. Any tips/advice?

Violation: I was on the 805-N (leaving San Diego) going 83mph according to the cop. (Max is 65 since it's a freeway)

My defense: For one, I wasn't going 83, more like 80.  And those 3mph make a difference. (83 ~ 85, and 85 is 20mph over the limit, which is ridiculous). My sister was also in the car with me and she can be a witness to all this. Furthermore, speed limits are there to protect people; I was not even driving remotely reckless. I was simply passing someone. It's not like I was weaving in and out of lanes and trying to speed by everyone. The average speed of the rest of the cars was probably around 75 to 80. The road was open enough for me to change lanes easily and not endanger anyone.

Thanks in advance, and if you need/want any other info, just ask and I'll try to answer.

Oh, also, the weather was clear and sunny, great conditions, dry road, perfect visibility. And it was about 1pm.
1.) Got proof you didnt go 83? They probably do have evidence saying that you did
2.) Witness? Unless it is a digital speedgauge, it highly likely that when your sister reads 80 it is actually 83 instead.
3.) Speedslimits are there because of bureaucrats wanting moar money
4.) So if everyone drove 120mph there, I guess its ok to drive 120 mph aswell?
5.) 65 is 65. If the road was open enough to change lanes easily why did you have to drive 83 then to do so?

I'm sorry but that defense needs some rethinking.
Computer_Guy
+54|6757
thats typical san diegan cops, you have to watch out for them since i barely see them myself and i live in san diego. Also the weather is always great in san diego.
jord
+2,382|6738|The North, beyond the wall.

ceslayer23 wrote:

jord wrote:

Paying the fine is admitting you were wrong. You wouldn't plead guilty to a murder you didn't commit, would you?
no, but a speeding ticket and murder are not exactly the same thing, are they?
It's the same principle. Admitting to something you didn't do and letting people take money off you is less than admirable.
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6799|Comber, Northern Ireland
fucking hell over here if ur going 2mph over the limit they book you
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6462|dm_maidenhead
So you want to appeal because you were only going 80. when the speed limit is 65?
You got caught breaking the speed limit. Just accept it.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6802|London

jord wrote:

ceslayer23 wrote:

jord wrote:

Paying the fine is admitting you were wrong. You wouldn't plead guilty to a murder you didn't commit, would you?
no, but a speeding ticket and murder are not exactly the same thing, are they?
It's the same principle. Admitting to something you didn't do and letting people take money off you is less than admirable.
But he did do it, even his own argument against the ticket says he was going over the limit.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
13rin
+977|6539
The judge will say, "were you speeding?" 
You'll say "yes your honor'
Judge replies "Ok you're guilty.  You are fined X dollars, Pay X for court costs.  Next case.."
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6638|Columbus, OH

DBBrinson1 wrote:

The judge will say, "were you speeding?" 
You'll say "yes your honor'
Judge replies "Ok you're guilty.  You are fined X dollars, Pay X for court costs.  Next case.."
You must watch Judge Mathis because this is exactly what he would of said.

MT you can plead: you were drunk and you could not properly read the speedometer because your vision was blurry
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6514|USA
This is why I only speed when I'm around my house at night.. I know all the cops' spots. I get scared shitless whenever I see a cop. But yeah, I speed a bit much. Hopefully I'm lucky and don't get caught. I might buy one of those valentine ONE things or w/e the radar detectors are called. I hear they are legal in MA.
DaRkAcE
+6|6259
If they aren't buy one anyways..if you get pulled over or when you stop just put it in the glove box..
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6590|Boston, MA

RDMC wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

Violation: I was on the 805-N (leaving San Diego) going 83mph according to the cop. (Max is 65 since it's a freeway)

My defense: For one, I wasn't going 83, more like 80.  And those 3mph make a difference. (83 ~ 85, and 85 is 20mph over the limit, which is ridiculous). My sister was also in the car with me and she can be a witness to all this. Furthermore, speed limits are there to protect people; I was not even driving remotely reckless. I was simply passing someone. It's not like I was weaving in and out of lanes and trying to speed by everyone. The average speed of the rest of the cars was probably around 75 to 80. The road was open enough for me to change lanes easily and not endanger anyone.

Thanks in advance, and if you need/want any other info, just ask and I'll try to answer.

Oh, also, the weather was clear and sunny, great conditions, dry road, perfect visibility. And it was about 1pm.
1.) Got proof you didnt go 83? They probably do have evidence saying that you did
2.) Witness? Unless it is a digital speedgauge, it highly likely that when your sister reads 80 it is actually 83 instead.
5.) 65 is 65. If the road was open enough to change lanes easily why did you have to drive 83 then to do so?

I just wanted to comment on #4 --- 120mph is a simply outrageous and totally biased number for the situation. Look at this realistically and look at it as the 80mph he said the average speed was. If that's the case, then yes, it is ok to drive that speed. Why? Because you put yourself and everybody else on the road with you in danger by going considerably slower than them. All you need is one person to not notice them until the last second to cause a huge pile up. 83 is pretty high but if it was a bit lower, you could always say you were keeping up with the flow of traffic.
~Smokey~
Steve Irwin Reincarnate
+396|6598|Internetfitlerland

FrankieSpankie3388 wrote:

RDMC wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

I just wanted to comment on #4 --- 120mph is a simply outrageous and totally biased number for the situation. Look at this realistically and look at it as the 80mph he said the average speed was. If that's the case, then yes, it is ok to drive that speed. Why? Because you put yourself and everybody else on the road with you in danger by going considerably slower than them. All you need is one person to not notice them until the last second to cause a huge pile up. 83 is pretty high but if it was a bit lower, you could always say you were keeping up with the flow of traffic.
But its still against the law
ghettoperson
+1,943|6709

Are American cops as strict about speeding as I get the impression they are? And do most people stick to 65 on the freeways? Over here, a lot of drivers in the fast lane are doing 90+. I think I'd kill myself if I was stuck at doing 65 all the time.
jaymz9350
+54|6637

ghettoperson wrote:

Are American cops as strict about speeding as I get the impression they are? And do most people stick to 65 on the freeways? Over here, a lot of drivers in the fast lane are doing 90+. I think I'd kill myself if I was stuck at doing 65 all the time.
You can usually be pretty safe at 5-10 mph over (at least around here) but 15+ will get you a ticket pretty much every time.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6745|Espoo, Finland

RDMC wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

Honestly, who do you think you are fooling?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6641|SE London

Gawwad wrote:

RDMC wrote:

I'm sorry but that defense needs some rethinking. [/color]
He is right to a point.

Sometimes you do see people driving absurdly slow on motorways (40-50, when everyone else is at least doing 70) and it is extremely dangerous. Fortunately I have seen quite a few people getting pulled over for driving too slowly.

Incidentally, what is the speed limit in the US and what speed do people typically drive? Over here it's 70, but anything under 100 is considered fairly acceptable and you are fairly unlikely to be pulled over at those speeds (you certainly won't be if you're doing less than 90).
jaymz9350
+54|6637

Bertster7 wrote:

Gawwad wrote:

He is right to a point.

Sometimes you do see people driving absurdly slow on motorways (40-50, when everyone else is at least doing 70) and it is extremely dangerous. Fortunately I have seen quite a few people getting pulled over for driving too slowly.

Incidentally, what is the speed limit in the US and what speed do people typically drive? Over here it's 70, but anything under 100 is considered fairly acceptable and you are fairly unlikely to be pulled over at those speeds (you certainly won't be if you're doing less than 90).
There is no set speed limit in the US it's done state by state.  Here the limit is 65 on the freeway but 70-75 is the norm crusing speed and 45 is the minimun on the freeway (yes you can get a ticket for going to slow)

And yes driving to slow can cause a lot of problems but driving the speed limit can't be considered to slow and its not a drivers fault if they drive the speed limit and "get in your way" as you are speeding along.
woodrot
I Need A Dump
+25|6790|sunderland england
In the uk speed limit is 70 MPH however im sure they dont usally bother pulling you over unless your doing 80 or speeding past a static speed camera . Any way its an instant ban here if ur doing over 90
I THINK
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6692

woodrot wrote:

In the uk speed limit is 70 MPH however im sure they dont usally bother pulling you over unless your doing 80 or speeding past a static speed camera . Any way its an instant ban here if ur doing over 90
I THINK
Lol my cousin was doing 140 in his Cupra, and got booked. He got let off, the officer said he caught him doing 89. Lucky?
woodrot
I Need A Dump
Over here it's 70, but anything under 100 is considered fairly acceptable and you are fairly unlikely to be pulled over at those speeds (you certainly won't be if you're doing less than 90)

Incorrect you should be locked up m8 sorry
woodrot
I Need A Dump

Gooners wrote:

woodrot wrote:

I THINK
Lol my cousin was doing 140 in his Cupra, and got booked. He got let off, the officer said he caught him doing 89. Lucky?
damn sure was lucky man for himself & others
ghettoperson
+1,943|6709

woodrot wrote:

I THINK
No it's not, over 100 and you lose your license. My mate got caught by a speed trap doing about 160, he realised after he went through the first meter, so he slowed right down to a crawl, and his average speed worked out to be 99.8MPH when he came out the other end, so he kept his license.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard