Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6455|King Of The Islands

max wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

max wrote:

copyright infringement =/= stealing

Dictionary wrote:

steal - to take or appropriate without right or leave and with intent to keep or make use of wrongfully <stole a car> b: to take away by force or unjust means <they've stolen our liberty> c: to take surreptitiously or without permission
your point being? When you infringe the copyright of someone you don't take anything away. The "victim" still has exactly the same things he did as before.

It's not like a stolen bicycle where I don't have it anymore and the thief does. It's like walking up to my bike, taking a picture of it and then building an exact replica.
Also like to point out that only one of them is a criminal act.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6554|Long Island, New York
Meh, I only pirate music. I always viewed movies and games as something I should buy, but never felt the same about music. Especially considering the price of music. But I don't really care if people pirate movies and music. Doesn't bother me much.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6584|NYC / Hamburg

Cheez wrote:

max wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

your point being? When you infringe the copyright of someone you don't take anything away. The "victim" still has exactly the same things he did as before.

It's not like a stolen bicycle where I don't have it anymore and the thief does. It's like walking up to my bike, taking a picture of it and then building an exact replica.
In many (most) countries copyright infringement isn't even illegal. I can download as many games / movies / music as I want and no once can do anything about it since it's 100% legal

Last edited by max (2008-12-15 18:36:52)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6484

Poseidon wrote:

Meh, I only pirate music. I always viewed movies and games as something I should buy, but never felt the same about music. Especially considering the price of music. But I don't really care if people pirate movies and music. Doesn't bother me much.
Well the price of games is actually pretty reasonable. Most games are worth $50. FO3 was somewhat of an exception for me cuz I didn't know how much I would like the game, it didn't look to fun in the videos I saw of it.

Musicz, yeah way over-priced. Not only that but most money from when you buy a CD goes to the record label,  so it's not like you're even really helping the artists, who make most of their money from live performances and other junk.

Movies I either rent them from the library or TiVo them and then copy them onto a CD so I can like, watch them again and shitz. Which is, as long as I don't sell them, perfectly legal.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6169|what

Pirating a game you wouldn't normally buy is a good thing in some circumstances.

Say you pirate Fallout 3, say it's a great game, post good info about - that will encourage others to go and buy it.

The game company doesn't lose money, you wouldn't have bought it anyway.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
max
Vela Incident

IMO there is no reason to try and justify your pirating a game. We do it because we can, it's free and convenient. The only real reason to buy a game is online content, lack of knowledge or morals that forbid you to pirate
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6484

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Pirating a game you wouldn't normally buy is a good thing in some circumstances.

Say you pirate Fallout 3, say it's a great game, post good info about - that will encourage others to go and buy it.

That was true in my case.

In 2003 I pirated CnC Generals. Over the next 5 years I have bought every single CnC game ever. So EA made like, >$200 off my pirating of their game. They should be thanking the people who made the crack and torrent.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6455|King Of The Islands

max wrote:

Cheez wrote:

max wrote:

In many (most) countries copyright infringement isn't even illegal. I can download as many games / movies / music as I want and no once can do anything about it since it's 100% legal
Correct. In Australia it's a civil offence, but not a criminal offence.

They also like to make out here that it's "illegal" to rip CDs to MP3.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Well the price of games is actually pretty reasonable. Most games are worth $50. FO3 was somewhat of an exception for me cuz I didn't know how much I would like the game, it didn't look to fun in the videos I saw of it.

Musicz, yeah way over-priced. Not only that but most money from when you buy a CD goes to the record label,  so it's not like you're even really helping the artists, who make most of their money from live performances and other junk.

Movies I either rent them from the library or TiVo them and then copy them onto a CD so I can like, watch them again and shitz. Which is, as long as I don't sell them, perfectly legal.
Exactly. Not to mention I've sold back the SP games which didn't last a long time for me, like Star Wars: TFU and Dead Space (Don't get me wrong, Dead Space was one of my favorite games this year). Got $30 for each of them.

You get games like GTA IV (which I've probably spent 100 hours on), Rock Band 2, Fallout 3, Halo 3, BFBC, Burnout Paradise, Gears 2, FSX...all worth my $50-60.

And @ the money going to the record companies - precisely. If I REALLY like an artist, I'll go see them in concert (if they're still alive/touring). It's an incredible experience and you're directly supporting the band.

I've only pirated one movie in my life, and it was Groundhog Day with Bill Murray. It wasn't even for entertainment purposes though, it was for educational purposes, because my English teacher was making us watch it and I was home sick on the second day. He had told us that if we missed a part of the movie, we'd have to go rent it or buy it because we were writing an essay on it and how it related to the play "Our Town".

So yeah.
max
Vela Incident

Cheez wrote:

max wrote:

Cheez wrote:

Correct. In Australia it's a civil offence, but not a criminal offence.

They also like to make out here that it's "illegal" to rip CDs to MP3.
Civil lawsuits are great. They have to prove they lost money. I want to see how anyone can argue that they lost money because some person downloaded something

Over here we still believe that you can do whatever you want with CDs you bought, so I can transcode, rip, play and delete at my hearts content

Last edited by max (2008-12-15 18:47:37)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6169|what

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

That was true in my case.

In 2003 I pirated CnC Generals. Over the next 5 years I have bought every single CnC game ever. So EA made like, >$200 off my pirating of their game. They should be thanking the people who made the crack and torrent.
That's a great example. Thanks.

But, I think if anyone pirates a game and doesn't like it, they don't have much right to complain because they didn't lose any money. So all of you who bought battlefield bad company can live with it. lol
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6612|Michigan, USA

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I don't want to have to debate something thats undebatable. It's all in the article >.<
Here is the whole problem wih this topic.

You open a thread up to debate, yet you refuse to see other viewpoints, as your so fully set you and the article are correct in all instances, and anyone who says otherwise A. Didnt read the article and/or B.Is wrong.

Reminds me of this honestly

It may be wrong, it may be stealing, both of which I understand, but I have my own reasoning.  Piracy is a big excuse, especially Crytek, they put out a game which few people were able to run smoothly, and was jsut a generic shooter, yet complain because of bad sales on PC and go crying to consoles. Their failure was their own fault with the game, not the consumers or the super evil pirates causing the whole worlds media industry to collapse.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6286

r2zoo wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I don't want to have to debate something thats undebatable. It's all in the article >.<

You open a thread up to debate, yet you refuse to see other viewpoints, as your so fully set you and the article are correct in all instances, and anyone who says otherwise A. Didnt read the article and/or B.Is wrong.
Firstly. I had no intention of debating anything when I started the thread. I posted the article becasue i thought it was worth reading by everybody here, and would love to discuss the contents of it, while spreading the word of what it contained. Then out of nowhere people actually try and justify and defend piracy. No. You can't. It's wrong and it IS doing damage to the industry. Anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

Secondly. Nobody has given me any indication that they have read the article. That's why I'm getting very frustrated with all the attacks towards it, and the general defense of piracy throughout the thread. Almost every comment I read shows me that the person hasn't read the article.

How is any of this my fault? Also that clip is nothing like this.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-12-15 19:19:22)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6701|United States of America
The lesson you learn when something you purchase doesn't meet your expectations is to be a smarter consumer. You don't suddenly regard the producer of that item as "The Man" and suddenly try to cheat them out of as much money as you possibly can. It is really not their fault you bought their shitty ass game.
max
Vela Incident

I have read the article (srsly), but that doesn't mean that I agree with all points made. You can't blame piracy for all the industries problems. Single player games might suffer from heavy piracy, but good online games don't. Instead of being all butthurt about it developers should refocus their attention

Also wrong vs. right is a very subjective thing. You can't force your morals onto everyone. Everyone needs to find their set of morals by themselves

Last edited by max (2008-12-15 19:24:14)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6758|FUCK UBISOFT

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

r2zoo wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Firstly. I had no intention of debating anything when I started the thread. I posted the article becasue i thought it was worth reading by everybody here, and would love to discuss the contents of it, while spreading the word of what it contained. Then out of nowhere people actually try and justify and defend piracy. No. You can't. It's wrong and it IS doing damage to the industry. Anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

Secondly. Nobody has given me any indication that they have read the article. That's why I'm getting very frustrated with all the attacks towards it, and the general defense of piracy throughout the thread. Almost every comment I read shows me that the person hasn't read the article.

How is any of this my fault? Also that clip is nothing like this.
Nobody is attacking the article, I personally am just saying piracy isn't killing PC gaming.

Why are you getting so mad people aren't reading, when you said yourself "I doubt many (if any) of you will read it in its entirety"

and if "It's all completely unbiased and tries to be as factual as possible." Then why would it change any of our opinions? If it truly has no bias then it's not trying to make us change.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6286
When I said i doubt many would read the article, I assumed that those that didn't wouldn't post. I would much rather have a small thread with few, meaningful posts that discuss what was contained in the article, instead of a 5 page pointless argument which is what I got.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6758|FUCK UBISOFT

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

When I said i doubt many would read the article, I assumed that those that didn't wouldn't post. I would much rather have a small thread with few, meaningful posts that discuss what was contained in the article, instead of a 5 page pointless argument which is what I got.
If you're really so disappointed delete the thread.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

You posted something against media piracy - something which has been highly argued for YEARS now among government officials and the common folk alike - and didn't expect an argument?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6169|what

I read the article, and Spidery_Yoda, after reading this thread I think you should re-read the first page of the article.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html
max
Vela Incident

Miggle wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

If you're really so disappointed delete the thread.
No, don't

I still want to hear FM argue how copyright infringement is identical to stealing a car
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6286

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I read the article, and Spidery_Yoda, after reading this thread I think you should re-read the first page of the article.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html
Yes ok just did, what about it?

Poseidon wrote:

You posted something against media piracy - something which has been highly argued for YEARS now among government officials and the common folk alike - and didn't expect an argument?
Honestly, no. Not this sort of argument. Words cannot describe how much BF2s has disappointed me in this thread.

And thanks everyone who read the article in its entirety. Is there anything in it you'd like to discuss or dispute? Why have there been 5 pages of arguments to get to this stage -.-

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-12-15 19:48:23)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6758|FUCK UBISOFT

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Honestly, no. Not this sort of argument. Words cannot describe how much BF2s has disappointed me in this thread.
then leave, you must be the only person here who didn't see this coming.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
BF2s has disappointed you?

This is a civil thread in Other Titles. BF2s has SURPRISED me!
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6758|FUCK UBISOFT

Poseidon wrote:

BF2s has disappointed you?

This is a civil thread in Other Titles. BF2s has SURPRISED me!
Oh shi-

An argument

in other games

with Poseidon and Miggle

and we agree?

no fucking way.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard